PDA

View Full Version : Workout Drugs?

BGMFH
06-26-03, 05:31 PM
I was introduced to one of the other guys in the DEP program here, and was talking to him about working out.

Currently, I'm working on both my weight and my muscle strength, as all I need are another 12lbs or so and to get my pullups done. My recruiter won't let me go to MEPS until I can do 3.

Anyways, the other poolee told me I needed to go to GNC and ask them for some nutritional supplements like Xenoplex or Hydroxycut. Are these things common among other recruits, or is this guy in the minority?

btrogu
06-26-03, 05:49 PM
Be really carefull. Alot of young people have died because they took supplements. Talk to your doctor first. He can put you on a proper diet to help you shed your desired weight. Plenty of PT and less sweets will help. When hungry at night, drink water. Easier said than done I know. But ask your doctor first and also a lot of research wont hurt.

wrbones
06-26-03, 05:54 PM
Do your research. Look up all of the pluses and minuses of using such supplements.

That said, I don't recommend it. If you're eating right, take a daily vitamin, and exercising every day, you should be good to go. One more question. Do ya do any cardio exercises? Those help more than anything with weight loss and conditioning.

Your recruiter is doing you a favor, btw. If ya ain't in good shape when ya hit those yellow footprints, you'll be spending some extra time at MCRD.

You've got to do the work and that means breaking a sweat...every day....with PT. A lot of that stuff you can do while you're watching TV fer crying out loud! Every time a comercial comes on, get on the floor and pump them out! Once ya get used to that, ya do yer exercises during the show and then rest during the commercials! And put the ****in cheese puffs away and stop drinking the pop.

Travis_R_Wilson
06-26-03, 06:12 PM
If you do decide you want to use some sort of a supplement...I would suggest using something called "andro"...It is all natural, no ephedrine, and the only side effects are increased sexual urges(If you do have any side effects)...I get mine from somewhere called Attillio's fitness nutrition and weightloss....It's a little expensive, but at least it is safe...It's protein based, so for every pound you weigh you are supposed to have that many grams of protein...All it basically does is increase you testosterone level so that you can do more and do it more times...but you still have to workout and train just like everyone else....It only helps it doesn't do the work for you!

Echo_Four_Bravo
06-26-03, 06:49 PM
Don't take androsteindion, it causes a spike in estrogen after you take it, which actually hurts muscle mass. The key to weigt loss formulas are that they can boost your resting tempature, making your body work harder and increasing metabolism. They are great, but new information leads many to believe that ephedra is dangerous. For this reason, many companies no longer use it. Xenadrine is among them. They now use a new formula which is supposed to be safer. While only time will tell, one can assume that they do believe it to actually be safer than ephedra, or they wouldn't market it. The companies aren't so much worried about people as avoiing the law suits that follow deaths. They went to a lot of expense to replace a market favorite, so it should be better for you.
One key to remember is that muscle will allow you to lose more fat. The more muscle you have, the more fat you can burn. With that in mind, a strong weight program coupled with creatine can work wonders. As your chest, arms, and back grow, your waist will shrink.

Gee, I guess the months and months of working in GNC finally came in useful!

top1371
06-26-03, 06:55 PM
Do your research on ephedra and you will find it is not safe. It has killed it's share of Marines. That is why it has been banned from beings sold on base. Xenadrine ephedra free and the rest of the ephedra free products hardly work at all MHO.

Just eat right and get plenty of PT and you will be fine.

Phil
06-26-03, 08:37 PM
The only supplement you need is food and PT. Good food and go heavy on the protein! Instead of snacking on junk food get some tuna and salad fixings. Tuna is one the purist and cheapest forms of protein around! Also lots of fresh fruits and veggies. Not only for vitamins but also your body needs veggies(esp. green veggies, broccoli etc.) because they contain substances that drive the proteins into your muscle fibers. Your body doesn't store proteins, you just deposit them in your toilet, so do everything you can to use the proteins you ingest.

BGMFH
06-26-03, 08:46 PM
I'm doing the protein and PT. Problem is I gotta do the muscle mass building while dropping weight, and muscle weighs more than fat. Its a bit discouraging at times when I can only seem to make progress on one of the two.

But hey, progress is progress and Im working hard.

I'll do this if it takes all fall.

btrogu
06-26-03, 09:06 PM
Whats your height and weight?

top1371
06-26-03, 09:11 PM
There is a difference between muscle mass and strength. What you need is strength so you can do them pull ups.

Try intensity weight training. Have you ever heard about "Body-For-Life"? Get a copy of the book or go to www.bodyforlife.com and check it out. It works. You will gain strength in no time.

Ok, you old timers can laugh, but I am trying to help here :D

This is what an old retired MSgt can do... (http://bfltracker.com/showphotos.cfm?id=1448)

BGMFH
06-26-03, 09:40 PM
AF said 5-11.5, Army said 5-11. Navy said 6-0. All tapes to a line on the wall. My Recruiter measured 5-10, so I'm 5-10.

Im at about 232 or so right now, with clothes, not shoes.

MillRatUSMC
06-26-03, 10:16 PM
BODY MASS INDEX (BMI) formula
Weight times 704.5 / by height in inches twiced or squared.
232 lbs
5-10= 70 inches
232 x 704.5= 163444.0
163444.0 / 70= 2334.91
2334.91 / 70=33.36 rounded off

Anything above 25.00 is being overweight.
Over 30 is why too much for your height at 5' 7".
The way to go is weight training and a proper diet.
Cut out all fast foods if possible.
Drink plenty of water.
No ICE CREAM or POP or SODA.
It's like a pair of scissors, you need both blades to do the job.
Besides your cardio of running, try doing lunges and squats to buildup leg strenght.
Also do intervals for a couple of minutes running and a couple minutes of rest in-between.
Hills if all possible.
High intensity is the way to go, but watchout for the heat at this time of the year.
It's hard to undo years of not working out to this level.

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo

PS work to get that BMI or BODY MASS INDEX down to under 25

Echo_Four_Bravo
06-26-03, 11:41 PM
BGMFH, we are all giving our two cents here. It is clear that some of us have different opinions on the matter, yet all the Marines here made it work for them. It comes down to something pretty simple, you've got to find what works for you. Top mentioned Body for Life. I think that is an outstanding idea for recruits in your position. While the twenty minutes of cardio three times weekly won't really have you prepared for the run portion of your IST/PFT that shouldn't be your main goal. You need to get rid of body fat while adding strength. (I stand by the comment that you need to add muscle mass. Yes it weighs more than fat, but nobody will get in trouble for being too muscular. 18% body fat guidelines are there for this reason.) I think if you will look into this plan, and follow the work outs and nutrition plans to the letter you will make some great strides. It is built on proven principles of grazing and intense work outs of a short duration. It is designed to help everybody, but people in your position in particular.

BGMFH
06-27-03, 12:11 AM
That BMI doesnt make too much sense to me, it doesnt differentiate fat and muscle...

Im 25.7% bodyfat right now according to the sheet the Army recruiters gave me. Another inch off of my waste and I can be all by myself!

Anyways, I really do appreciate the advice guys, every little bit helps.

wrbones
06-27-03, 12:21 AM
We can give ya all the advice in the world, but yer the one who has to do the work! As much as some of these idiots would like to stand on those yella footprints again, we can't do it for ya!

lurchenstein
06-27-03, 12:36 AM
TOP, you are truly a studly Leatherneck!:D

felonysmom
06-27-03, 03:48 AM
The best thing I can recommend is boxing. It's great cardio exercise and it builds up the endurance in your arms and your wind. I went through 3 different sheriff's academies and never managed a single pull-up. Then I got into boxing. Pull ups are a cinch now, not to mention I lost about 25 pounds in under 4 months. Good luck.

MillRatUSMC
06-27-03, 07:38 AM
Bones ?
Heard Marines refer to a lot of things but "these idiots" is a newbie for this old jarhead.
I've been on the those old yellow footprints since I left in 1958.
I was a 'hollywood Marine" but I stood on those yellow footprints on MCRD PI in 2000.
Many a Marine I was with on seeing the training of today was heard to say "geesh, I don't think I could that!" but I'm sure they would have in their youth.
Now we have help for DEP's and anybody else, never had that before.
Maybe that why many didn't finish boot camp.
I'm sorry but "these idiots " stick in my mind.

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo

PS a reduction in "BODY MASS" means there's less to pull-up.

wrbones
06-27-03, 10:35 AM
LOL. I knew that'd get a reaction from somebody!

I'm one of those that thinks one time through MCRD was plenty! It don't take twice to make a Marine! :D

and I gotta agree with those 'many a Marine's. I think the training is better, overall, than it was when I was in. The future of the Corps is in good hands right now IMO.

Echo_Four_Bravo
06-27-03, 11:22 AM
I guess I am one of those idiots, because I would love to go through recruit training again. It was a highlight of my life. Sure, it was rough, one of the hardest things any person could ever make themselves go through, but the memories built will last a life time. All Marines are your brothers, but there is a special bond with those you go through that hell with. Besides, more than likely one of my DI"s would end up being one of myold boots... now that would be a fun turn of events!

jenrmurray
06-27-03, 12:28 PM
BGMFH, here is my story about Xenadrine:

I weighed 183 when I decided that I wanted to be a Marine. By max weight at the time was 150. I started working out like crazy and really controlling my eating and I also took Xenadrine. I lost the weight so fast it made everyone's head spin. I went from 183 to 149 in a month and a half.

I went to MEPS, made weight and everything was happy.

Then I stopped taking the Xenadrine and went back to my normal workout routine and started eating more like a normal person. I gained that weight back. Almost all of it.

My opinion: While Xenadrine can really be helpful in the short-run if you take it very carefully, you are better off doing it the old-fashioned way. Especially if you're young. You have a youthful metabolism on your side, you just have to work hard and give it a chance to revive itself.

Another thing: Xenadrine gives you lots of energy. With it, I ran a little faster and farther. BUT! You won't get Xenadrine at boot camp, so why would you want to take it before boot camp? You'll just get used to the extra energy boost, then when it's not there, you'll drag. On days when I forgot to take it before a workout, I noticed the difference. That's because I was used to a little "nitro-boost." We should all be able to work hard without an enhancer, so it's easier just to stay away from it in the first place.

I have found that a walkman/MP3 player with some fast music enhances my workouts just as much as Xenadrine did. I'd say try that first.

good luck!

JChristin
06-27-03, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by BGMFH

These are not "guys" who are helping you. These are United States Marines - active or inactive. If you're lucky, you may one day be fortunate to call yourself by our Title. Until you become a brother Marine, show these Marines the respect they earned.

semper fi,
jchristin

wrbones
06-27-03, 12:35 PM
Thanks, JC. I'm about ready to crack down on a couple of these kids, myself. They're gettin' a little lax. I got so dang used to ktriplett and that bunch, I haven't gotten used to breakin' in the new kids....yet.

22DevilPup87
06-27-03, 01:15 PM
Is that my cue work more on keeping the newbies in line?

wrbones
06-27-03, 01:19 PM
Unless you wanta see me gettin' mean again! :D

jenrmurray
06-27-03, 01:22 PM
Jess and I took a poll of all concerned poolees (ahem... Jess and me) and it has been concluded that the majority of poolees (ahem.. us) does not want to see a mean Sgt. Bones. :)

22DevilPup87
06-27-03, 01:24 PM
Yes, that's very true. Jen and I will step up our watch a notch.

Jen, you have first shift! ;)

jenrmurray
06-27-03, 01:29 PM
::looks up from comic bo.. er.. knowledge guide:: aww alright!

Phil
06-27-03, 09:05 PM
That BMI doesnt make too much sense to me, it doesnt differentiate fat and muscle...

Im 25.7% bodyfat right now according to the sheet the Army recruiters gave me. Another inch off of my waste and I can be all by myself!

It doesn't differentiate between fat and muscle that's true. However, the only people this should effect is heavy bodybuilders, these are the types of people that the BMI generally won't really work for. As a matter of fact with most duty in the Corps, I myself would rather be strong and maybe stocky than "beast" big! Too many muscles can get in the way!

Phil
06-27-03, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by wrbones
LOL. I knew that'd get a reaction from somebody!

I'm one of those that thinks one time through MCRD was plenty! It don't take twice to make a Marine! :D

and I gotta agree with those 'many a Marine's. I think the training is better, overall, than it was when I was in. The future of the Corps is in good hands right now IMO.

I remember seeing our brother and sister Marines during the second go round with Saddam. They look more squared away than we did 12 years ago. I'm proud as hell of them all!

Also, one time on the Island was fine for me!!:yes:

top1371
06-27-03, 11:05 PM

Dont go by the Army's chart, it is not the same as our...

poolee womack
06-28-03, 03:40 PM
i am leaving for parris island aug. 4th 2003 so i am doing everything i can to get in as best of shape as i can. i did that BMI test and came out to 23. what exactly does that mean and is that good or bad.

Echo_Four_Bravo
06-28-03, 04:57 PM
23 isn't bad. But as far as the Marine Corps is really concerned, it isn't an important number. You need to pay attention to your weight, and body fat as calculated by the tape measure method. (Far from the most accurate.) And has been said before, your BMI number gets all out of whack if you lift weights regularly, it isn't set up to deal with large amounts of muscle mass.

firstsgtmike
07-07-03, 08:52 AM
CPLRapoza,

You sound like Bones. Yes, get in there and kick when it is needed.

And when Bones comes back, AND HE WILL, I think he'd be pleased to have you as his assistant.

The word is; "Be prepared to step forward, or to step back.

On one hand, you have my vote. On the other hand, and I think you will agree, the answer is "No way, Jose".

So let's wish Bones the very best, and realize that we, you, me, and the rest of us are temporary stop-gaps. We do the best we can, but that doesn't mean that our best is good enough.

In the meantime, life, and the needs of the Poolees, goes on. And if we don't take care of them ..............

CPLRapoza
07-07-03, 01:22 PM
Roger that 1st Sgt. but you know how things sometimes get to far under your skin and the only way to get it out is to stop it before it starts. Cause if it gets in more will follow.

Sixguns
07-07-03, 08:00 PM
In order for a male to exceed maximum weight standards in the Corps, he cannot have more than 18% body fat and must still meet the military appearance standard for Marines.

If you are trying to make weight in less than a month or using 30 days till training as the "time to get serious" reminder, you are in trouble. When you Depped in, you were made aware of the shipping weight you had to be at. There is no miracle drug to help you now. The keys is to stop lifting weights and get going on some anarobic exercise. Running, biking, swimming etc.

Where has your recruiter been for all this?

SIXGUNS

Trumpet_Marine
09-16-03, 01:23 PM
I couldn't do one pull-up last November when I swore in. Now I'm doing 8-9. All it took was hard work and excercise. I still eat cookies and all the other **** thats "bad" for you. I know that tuna is awsome for protien though. Just keep getting on the bar and pull. Then after the Bar get down and push. I do this till I can't. Thats been working for me. I hope you kick some out there!

03Infantry
09-16-03, 02:37 PM
Tuna and chicken breast are great for protein. The best thing to do is work hard (HARD) and eat a good meal, meats, vegetables, carbohydrates and drink lots of water. Stay away from soda and beer. Alot of times if you do those "supplements" like creatin and whatever else you will get stronger, but when you stop taking it and like during receiving arn't working, say your arms, your muscle will quickly turn into fat. Those don't work that great.

BGMFH
09-17-03, 12:28 PM
Creatine never seemed to help much. CLA made a moderate change. But mostly, Hydroxycut just got me in the habit of drinking lots of water, which I still have, and the only supplements I take now are a multivitamins and plenty of "iron." I prefer it in the 25lb plate form.