PDA

View Full Version : Is it easy to score a 50 on the asvab?

Clark41
02-20-09, 01:05 PM
Well my shipdate will be march 9th, as long as come monday if I can score atleast a 50 on my asvab. It turns out I graduated from a tier 2 high school, so I have to score atleast a 50. If I do not score atleast a 50 say I score like a 47, 48, or 49, it has to go to a Three - Star General and he has to approve of me.

I scored a 37 on the practice asvab (the 4 part one) but I am very confident I can get a 50. But was just wondering on how hard it is to actually score a 50.

giveen
02-20-09, 01:09 PM
Its not hard, really. I havent heard of anyone failing it.

Clark41
02-20-09, 01:18 PM

Failed it? As in scoring below a 50?

Chumley
02-20-09, 01:25 PM

Actually, I know of 2 different individuals who have failed...one of them has failed twice. Keep studying and take it seriously!

It used to be that 35 was bare minimum to pass....that could've changed to 50?? I've never heard of that Teir 2 school that you mentioned, so I don't know what that might mean.

Good luck!
C

srinaldo86
02-20-09, 01:48 PM
There are a lot of people that fail the asvab and there are even more who score below a 50 so take it seriously. Study and practice. Get a good nights sleep (dont over sleep though,) and eat a good breakfast.

Also,
Knowledge is power: A "3 star general" is a Lieutenant General.
Be My Little General:
Brigadier (one star)
Major (two stars)
Lieutenant (three stars)
General (four stars)

Cant hurt to learn that now. ;)

e36wheelman
02-20-09, 02:41 PM
The ASVAB is as difficult as any test in school. If you did well in high school you will score well on some parts, but if you didn't, there are still parts you can excel at. I'm thinking the mechanical knowledge part in particular. A lot of questions are common sense, some are specific school learned knowledge.

introspect
02-20-09, 09:40 PM
I don't know how hard it will be for you but I would study a lot because I got a 79 on the practice and a 78 on the real one, so the practice test is pretty accurate.

good luck!

bekster2008
02-20-09, 09:45 PM
My recruiter is convinced that with a little studying leading up to the test, then drinking a red bull and eating a snickers right before the exam your test scores will be better...Yesterday we had a guy who scored a 42 on his EST and got a 51 on the actual that took my recruiters advice so...do whatever works lol. But I found the math so difficult and the english ridiculously easy. The other sections were fine too...That puzzle section was actually fun.

davblay
02-20-09, 10:53 PM
I think times have changed a bit since my day as a recruiter but.......in the mid 80s, nationwide, the average AFQT on the ASVAB was 18! That's right eighteen (18)! Of course you have to consider the varibles, now most High schools allowed the ASVAB to be given in their schools, but some school systems would only allow sophomores to take it and then only on a volunteer bases! It was not manditory in all schools. Most did let the Juniors and Seniors take the test, which was good because the scores were good for two years! The high school ASVAB is not the best way to take it, the best way is at MEPS or other approved testing area, approved by MEPCOM! Most students in high school that take the test are just getting out of English or some other class they don't want to be in, they don't take it seriously! Hence the lower scores.

The ASVAB is THE most important test (exam) you will take, if you are considering a stent in the military. When you test at a MEPCOM approved site, you are there because you have started showing interest in enlisting in the military. The Corps, in my day, required a higher score to enlist. They required a minimum of 32 on the test, where I, as Army, could enlist them with a 31. During the Nam War, the Army could take a score as low as 21...I know....but believe me they did!

I will stop there with the history lesson, but for you people that want to enlist in our beloved Corps, you have to take this test VERY seriously! Most people say it's easy! Some say it's the hardest test they ever took. But as our old TV friend, Archie Bunker once said "EASY FOR YOU....DIFFICULT FOR ME". :confused:

Let me say again, these are the stats from my day, but the facts are the same as far as passing that test.

Dave

Gnetics
02-20-09, 11:36 PM
When I was at Meps I was told 35 is a passing score for Marine Corps, however higher score=More jobs open to you. I scored 84 on the Practice and 87 on the Actual test with no studying. I guess for some its easier than others. Just grab a practice Asvab book, Recruiters usually have one in there office and study it. Take some practice test, im sure they can be found for free online.

Rains
02-20-09, 11:37 PM
After I finished my ASVAB, and I was directed outside to wait for my Recruiter, 3 other people came out after me and scored below 50.
One of them got a 48, one a 49, and one got a 27.

I dont know the percentage of people who get below 50, but that was 3 out of probibly 10 people that came out after me who didnt pass.

MarinesFTW
02-21-09, 12:41 AM
I dont understand what is so hard aboujt the asvab, there was a guy i know who had a 4 year degree in business and he fails the asvab TWICE!! i took it in school and got an 87 and I didn't take it super seriously... You should have no problem geting at 50 unless you really struggeled in school.

blackshirts
02-21-09, 03:02 PM
I dont understand what is so hard aboujt the asvab, there was a guy i know who had a 4 year degree in business and he fails the asvab TWICE!! i took it in school and got an 87 and I didn't take it super seriously... You should have no problem geting at 50 unless you really struggeled in school.
That's one of the hardest things to believe that I've seen around here. I'm not buying that for one second. Failed? As in less than a 31? Come on...

mbrazil
02-21-09, 03:05 PM
It really depends on who you ask. Some people study their ass off and still dont do that great. Some people dont study at all and do excellent.

If you got a 37 on the practice, I would spend alot of time studying and taking as many practice tests as you can. Good luck!

commdog7
02-21-09, 03:21 PM
I know a few people who have failed it. You have to score higher than 50% of the people who take it. The biggest problem people have with taking it is they loose track of time. I scored a 54 when I took it the first time, but scored an 82 when I took it again. Time was my biggest issue, as the test was pretty easy.

There are ways you can study for the test. I believe there is an ASVAB book in most bookstores which will allow you to take practice tests. Otherwise you just have to keep studying and take it until you pass. The other services require a lower score if you are not able to meet the 50 score- something to keep in mind.

davblay
02-21-09, 03:32 PM
It never stops amazing me.......those poolees and wannabees, that are so experienced that they dismiss my previous post and still say the ASVAB is easy!

I suggest that when a Marine post a conclusion, as I did, that if you don't agree with it you ask your recruiter about the pass/fail ratio! Then make a educated post, otherwise keep your 2 cents to your self! One poolee posted that he knew of 3 out of 10 that failed it the day he took it, now is he lying or is that just bull?

Put your money where your mouth is, volunteer to tutor the ones that need it, that will help not only the Wannabee become a Poolee, but the Corps and the recruiter as well!

My advise to you poolees and wannabees, is never argue about experience until you have it! Ask your recruiter how many he has to fail the pretest. Why do you think the recruiter didn't jump up and hug your neck and slap your back when you first visited him! He sees dozens before he gets one to MEPS!

That's all I have to say about this, God, I don't know why I waste my time answering your questions, some of you know it all about everything!

God bless all of you poolees and thank you for enlisting in MY CORPS.

Dave

commdog7
02-21-09, 03:47 PM
Most students in high school that take the test are just getting out of English or some other class they don't want to be in, they don't take it seriously! Hence the lower scores.

Wouldn't that raise the scores for the students who did want to join the military?

Reasoning: How it is now, you have to get a 50 to join the Corps, that means that you have to do better than 50% of the people who take it. If you have a bunch of students gaffing off the test, then it should be easy for those who take it seriously to get a high score (higher than the 50% who took it).

BackhausD
02-21-09, 04:16 PM
I'm not buying that for one second. Failed? As in less than a 31? Come on...Dude you'll be surprised. When I went to MEPS, one guy had taken it three times in High School and got as low as a 7. Luckily he got a 31 his last time.
I've been at my recruiting station and heard what prospective poolees have got on the practice test. It's horrible. A new recruiter who just got assigned here two weeks ago started to get ****ed because everyone that comes to him always bombs the practice test. They get like 9s and 10s. So he can't put them in the DEP with those scores. He said it was like the 10th one in a row.

I mean I can see how it can be hard for some people, but the ASVAB is a lot of book smart knowledge. In my experience (almost none) common sense, which A LOT of people seem to lack, is way more valuable then knowing the derivative a line tangent to the vertex of the circle.

BackhausD
02-21-09, 04:25 PM
How it is now, you have to get a 50 to join the Corps

It was 31 two months ago. The Corps changed it?

MarinesFTW
02-21-09, 06:20 PM

Ok, I dont know if this is for sure but i remeber reading it some where. It is still like 32 to pass and if you get your degree through your high school but having to take special class's or something alone those lines you need to place higher, but please dont quote me on this Im just throwing out my 2 cents.

MarinesFTW
02-21-09, 06:22 PM
It never stops amazing me.......those poolees and wannabees, that are so experienced that they dismiss my previous post and still say the ASVAB is easy!

I suggest that when a Marine post a conclusion, as I did, that if you don't agree with it you ask your recruiter about the pass/fail ratio! Then make a educated post, otherwise keep your 2 cents to your self! One poolee posted that he knew of 3 out of 10 that failed it the day he took it, now is he lying or is that just bull?

Put your money where your mouth is, volunteer to tutor the ones that need it, that will help not only the Wannabee become a Poolee, but the Corps and the recruiter as well!

My advise to you poolees and wannabees, is never argue about experience until you have it! Ask your recruiter how many he has to fail the pretest. Why do you think the recruiter didn't jump up and hug your neck and slap your back when you first visited him! He sees dozens before he gets one to MEPS!

That's all I have to say about this, God, I don't know why I waste my time answering your questions, some of you know it all about everything!

God bless all of you poolees and thank you for enlisting in MY CORPS.

Dave

I appoligize Cpl as I did not mean to go against you, I read only the first post before I said anything. Ill make sure to read all post from now on.

commdog7
02-21-09, 06:39 PM

I might be thinking of the female score. Females have to get at least a 50 to join. For males it is a little lower because of the mos's. The infantry mos's can accept males from the 30's, not sure the exact score.

ecom
02-21-09, 07:42 PM
Where do you take the practice ASVAB test and is it as long as the real one?

I don't ever remember taking a practice test. I only remember going to this room full of computers and taking the test once. Honestly, I didn't even know I was going to take the test that day.

I was the last one done and still had time left so there was plenty of time to complete the test in my opinion. I think my score was 97.

BackhausD
02-21-09, 09:02 PM

You take it in the recruiters office. It's two sections, math and english, with about 30 questions each. Or at least mine was.

Hamelink83
02-21-09, 09:09 PM
Sgt, It's done at the recruiters office. It's maybe 40 questions in sections and timed total and is a general overview of the test. My recruiter gave me the line "In order to continue talking to you, I need you to make at least a 35 on this pre-test."

BTW to the poster, don't aim at trying to make just a 50. Study as hard as you can man and make your goal to score a 65 or higher. The better you do on that test the more options that become available to you.

I don't ever remember taking a practice test. I only remember going to this room full of computers and taking the test once. Honestly, I didn't even know I was going to take the test that day.

I was the last one done and still had time left so there was plenty of time to complete the test in my opinion. I think my score was 97.

davblay
02-21-09, 09:11 PM
Wouldn't that raise the scores for the students who did want to join the military?

Reasoning: How it is now, you have to get a 50 to join the Corps, that means that you have to do better than 50% of the people who take it. If you have a bunch of students gaffing off the test, then it should be easy for those who take it seriously to get a high score (higher than the 50% who took it).

Well, it seems that the regulations have changed since my day according to this link, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armed_Services_Vocational_Aptitude_Battery

I stand corrected Sgt, Thanks for making me use the search button, instead of relying on memory! Amazing how things change.

Sorry if I confused anyone here.

Thanks,

Dave

Poolee Quinn
02-22-09, 02:03 AM
I roomed with a national guard kid at MEPS who got a 9.
He was the stupidest kid I've ever meet.

Books
02-22-09, 01:04 PM
That's one of the hardest things to believe that I've seen around here. I'm not buying that for one second. Failed? As in less than a 31? Come on...

My recruiter has told me things like that. He says he has had many college students, even college graduates, who have failed the ASVAB.

Also, considering the morons responsible for all of the economic problems lately, I am not at all surprised that someone with a degree in business could fail the ASVAB.

RYDERKUR
02-22-09, 01:09 PM
I roomed with a national guard kid at MEPS who got a 9.
He was the stupidest kid I've ever meet.

Even "stupider" than this poolee I've just "meet" LMAO, just messing with you kid.

HammerOfJustice
02-22-09, 02:39 PM

I just wanted to chime in with what Dave said here. I'm a poolee, but that doesn't mean I can't help out.

There is an extremely motivated wannabe at my RSS who is physically fit, clean-cut, disciplined, good to go. He showed up to today's pool function wearing old USMC cammies, boots bloused. Unfortunately he has scored below 32 on his ASVAB twice, and that's the only thing holding him back.

After I took my ASVAB, I offered to help tutor any wannabes who needed the assistance, so my recruiter has now given me the task of helping this wannabe reach his goals. To have such an important responsibility while only a poolee myself is indicative of the way the Corps handles leadership.

If the test comes easily to you, take initiative and let your recruiter know you're able to help, I'm sure they'll use and appreciate that resource.

KyleS333
02-22-09, 02:55 PM
no its not at all, you just have to get sleep and concentrate, i got a 69

davblay
02-22-09, 04:12 PM
I just wanted to chime in with what Dave said here. I'm a poolee, but that doesn't mean I can't help out.

There is an extremely motivated wannabe at my RSS who is physically fit, clean-cut, disciplined, good to go. He showed up to today's pool function wearing old USMC cammies, boots bloused. Unfortunately he has scored below 32 on his ASVAB twice, and that's the only thing holding him back.

After I took my ASVAB, I offered to help tutor any wannabes who needed the assistance, so my recruiter has now given me the task of helping this wannabe reach his goals. To have such an important responsibility while only a poolee myself is indicative of the way the Corps handles leadership.

If the test comes easily to you, take initiative and let your recruiter know you're able to help, I'm sure they'll use and appreciate that resource.

Thank you for tutoring, that's a real example of initiative on your part. A lot of people just have trouble with test, it don't mean they are stupid, just can't do well on test. After all Albert Einstien (spelling) was sent home in the third grade. Teacher said he was a "slow learner"! Never judge a book by it's cover!

Keep up the good work, maybe it will spread to other test genious poolees to help the others, after all we have to cover each others 6, now don't we?

Ooo-Rah

Dave

blackshirts
02-22-09, 05:29 PM
Dude you'll be surprised. When I went to MEPS, one guy had taken it three times in High School and got as low as a 7. Luckily he got a 31 his last time.
I've been at my recruiting station and heard what prospective poolees have got on the practice test. It's horrible. A new recruiter who just got assigned here two weeks ago started to get ****ed because everyone that comes to him always bombs the practice test. They get like 9s and 10s. So he can't put them in the DEP with those scores. He said it was like the 10th one in a row.

I mean I can see how it can be hard for some people, but the ASVAB is a lot of book smart knowledge. In my experience (almost none) common sense, which A LOT of people seem to lack, is way more valuable then knowing the derivative a line tangent to the vertex of the circle.
Interesting. It just seems really odd that you could go through all the necessary classes to obtain a business degree and bachelor's and then fail the ASVAB which is basically a 10th grade test covering any extremely basic subjects.

davblay
02-22-09, 07:57 PM
Interesting. It just seems really odd that you could go through all the necessary classes to obtain a business degree and bachelor's and then fail the ASVAB which is basically a 10th grade test covering any extremely basic subjects.

WHAT PART OF MY PREVIOUS POSTS DIDN'T YOU UNDERSTAND?

Dave

blackshirts
02-22-09, 09:24 PM
Apparently the part where I can't have an opinion, Corporal.

Noted.

PaidinBlood
02-22-09, 10:12 PM
You little clown. He just said you need to stop questioning shi t and help each other out. Now that you mention it, however, I think you should try the no opinion thing...

davblay
02-22-09, 10:18 PM
Apparently the part where I can't have an opinion, Corporal.

Noted.

Dumbass Opinions around here are like azzholes, and until you are a Marine, yours stinks worse than anyones!

I will entertain an apology, before this gets out of hand!

Dave

blackshirts
02-22-09, 10:36 PM
Yes, Sir. Sorry.

davblay
02-22-09, 10:42 PM
Accepted.....now carry on.

ecom
02-23-09, 01:23 AM

I don't know about you, but in 10th grade, there was no way that I could have looked at an electronic schematic diagram and have known what all the little symbols meant. There might be some 10th graders who know what they are, but I highly doubt most 10th graders. Heck, I'm willing to bet that a lot of people who graduate high school don't know what those symbols are.

I do specifically remember a portion of the test where it showed a picture of a symbol and it asked what the symbol was, or the other way around. I couldn't even take physics until 12th grade, which is where I learned those electronic symbols, because I didn't take algeba 2 until 11th grade.

Qwarkeh
02-23-09, 10:26 PM
Also, in my one year of college I became dumber. I relied on my calculator for EVERYTHING that had anything to do with math. Hell, I even did stupid things like 57-13 on there. If I actually remembered how to do long division I would have scored way higher than what I got.