PDA

View Full Version : Ship date pushed back 8 months

e36wheelman
02-19-09, 01:25 PM
I have a problem I'm hoping I can get some unbiased info on. I'm a longtime lurker and your site and its resources have been a huge help.:thumbup:

I was scheduled to leave for MCRDPI on 20090309. I enlisted in DEP in October as an Arabic linguist. I got a call yesterday from my recruiter saying I was just pushed back to late April. Not a big deal, until he told me I lost my job slot too. The next available ship date to boot camp for my MOS in now October.

The situation, as it was explained to me, was that he only can send out so many recruits a month and MCRDPI just cut his available number for March, so he cut me. He then put me in an April slot. He said other recruits had certain issues that took priority. (Prior service DEPers, personal issues, etc...) When he went through the names he said there was one he might be able to switch me with, then said no because he had already put me in April and can't bump me back up.

Then, he said the only other option was to go in April open contract, and that there would be a chance to go linguist then. I have taken the ASVAB and DLAB and scored 94 and 105. With that in mind, he said I would definitely be given my linguist job once I got to Parris Island.

Finally, he said he would see what he could do and as far as I know he is working on getting things squared away for me to leave in April as a contracted linguist. I trust my recruiters and their judgment, but I don't want to get a bad deal. Linguist is THE job I want in the Corps.

I have a few questions. First, should I push the recruiter to switch me out with the poolee that could be switched? I don't want to be rude or pushy but I also need to look out for myself. Second, is open contract a safe bet? I don't want to end up with a job I don't want. Third, does anyone have any thoughts about what I could do? I was two and a half weeks from leaving, now I'm eight months away...

Thanks in advance Devil Dogs.

giveen
02-19-09, 01:26 PM
You lost your MOS? Thats weird, I figured we would be more in need of Arabic translators.

e36wheelman
02-19-09, 01:31 PM
You lost your MOS? Thats weird, I figured we would be more in need of Arabic translators.
I thought so, too. Seems like everything I read says the military is hurting for Arabic linguists. That's one of the reasons I enlisted in that MOS. The hard part is, it was my recruiter's call to push me back.

Soto C
02-19-09, 01:32 PM
Not a devil dog but I have some experience on being pushed back.

You want to be a cryptolinguist! Thats a good choice. Does it not seem odd to you that you leave in OCTOBER? As in... When all the new jobs come back? Thats the beginning of the fiscal year and all Marine Corps MOS's return with full slots. So maybe what happened is that by accident your recruiter filled you in for the linguist job without making sure there was ample space in the district.

I'm sure if you tell him something like: break out another SOU I want to do "Data systems" he will be able to ship you out sooner than OCTOBER!

I honestly think its just your MOS being overshipped.

Soto C
02-19-09, 01:38 PM
(Inside DLABer joke)

Yaruna dogo ijumpi nahaffa

LMAO!!!

That test was awesome!

e36wheelman
02-19-09, 01:51 PM
(Inside DLABer joke)

Yaruna dogo ijumpi nahaffa

LMAO!!!

That test was awesome!
Hatedee I that entestu.

Poolee Hamilton
02-19-09, 09:46 PM
My CO at my recruiting station was telling me how that the Corps had reached its max capacity so to speak and everyone who signed in and has been in for awhile in the DEP was gettin there original ship date or sooner. But the people who signed up recently will be in the DEP very close to the 365 day max in the DEP because of the amount of people in the Corps.

e36wheelman
02-20-09, 11:38 AM
Thanks for all the replies but I was looking for more specific answers to my questions.

Can anyone throw in their .02$?

HammerOfJustice
02-22-09, 12:52 AM
Thanks for all the replies but I was looking for more specific answers to my questions.

Can anyone throw in their .02$?

Bear in mind that my 0.02$ is the words of a poolee, so weight accordingly.

I have a crypto-linguist contract currently.

My information comes from the MSgt of the RSS and my recruiter.

When my recruiter showed me the MOS availabilities, the standard DC Crypto-Linguist SOU was showing all 0's, so he said he'd have to push me to October (when the new FY starts). Then he looked at the bonus contracts for Crypto-Linguist, still all 0's.

I asked him about it, he said that all of RS Orange (the largest in USMC), gets to send *one* in the FY. So I don't think your recruiter is lying to you about it being full, and October would be the time to try again if you have your heart set on Crypto-Linguist.

Now in my particular case, MSgt made some phone calls and got me on a Crypto-Linguist contract that can leave 20090720, but my recruiter was briefing me on my options while MSgt was doing this. My recruiter mentioned that he actually took the DLAB during recruit training, and that they pretty much voluntold recruits with high ASVAB scores to test DLAB, at which point a counselor would talk to you about Crypto-Linguist if you qualified.

No guarantees obviously, but it's a good shot if you want that job and you want to leave sooner.

Soto C
02-22-09, 04:58 PM
Told you it had to do with October and jobs restarting!

itoldi yaguya othato youhaffao waiti tilo octoberua

kash
02-22-09, 07:46 PM
My CO at my recruiting station was telling me how that the Corps had reached its max capacity so to speak and everyone who signed in and has been in for awhile in the DEP was gettin there original ship date or sooner. But the people who signed up recently will be in the DEP very close to the 365 day max in the DEP because of the amount of people in the Corps.
365 is not the "max" There are reserve days. I would know because I signed on June 06 last year and I wont graduate till June 13th and my ship date is June 15th.