PDA

View Full Version : Need a little advice.

Alpha90
02-19-09, 09:59 AM
Good day,

I'm trying to plan the onerous task of getting a quality education while trying to advance a career in the Marine Corps, and I thought that this is the ideal place to get some advice from men and women who've had the same goals and aspirations that I now have.

Along those lines, let me outline what I'm trying to do: I want to go into the USMC as a reservist(so that I can get my degree from a prestigious university[if i got my degree via tuition assistance while on active duty, it wouldn't necessarily carry the same prestige that top tier graduate schools look for.]) I want to be a cryptolinguist(I have a knack for language, already being fluent in English and Spanish and quite proficient in Russian.)

So, my question to you is this: how best should I deal with this? Can one go to the DLI at Monterey Bay as a reservist? Moreover, is this advisable, what with taking a year off from university? I am very eager to join the Marines and serve my country in the capacity which might best bring my own personal abilities to bear and be of aid in my own personal progression.

Any thoughts and opinions are appreciated, and I apologize if I droned on a little bit there.

Sincerely,
Kenneth.

srinaldo86
02-19-09, 10:23 AM
Have you spoken with your recruiter yet about whether or not you can even be a reservist crypto linguist? I thought it was an automatic 5 year contract due to the training and security clearance required.

Alpha90
02-19-09, 10:26 AM
Have you spoken with your recruiter yet about whether or not you can even be a reservist crypto linguist? I thought it was an automatic 5 year contract due to the training and security clearance required.

No, I've not spoken to him yet, I'm making an appointment from tomorrow. Since I'm a reservist, I've already got a 6 year contract, so that wouldn't be a problem. Here's another interesting question that brings up, though. There are certain requirements for how long I would need to be enlisted AFTER training, which basically makes latmoving there in the middle of an enlistment very difficult, which brings me to my question:

Can one extend one's contract while in the middle of it? As in, if I need 36 months more service AFTER graduating from training in order to work in a certain MOS, can I extend my contract to fulfill this requirement?

srinaldo86
02-19-09, 10:44 AM
Dont worry the Marine Corps will keep you as long as they need/want you for whatever MOS you have so long as you're willing to sign on the line.

Alpha90
02-19-09, 10:46 AM
Dont worry the Marine Corps will keep you as long as they need/want you for whatever MOS you have so long as you're willing to sign on the line.

Roger that, Pvt. Thanks for your help.