PDA

View Full Version : Ear piercing/gauges policy question.

Abacinate
02-10-09, 11:00 PM
I enlisted in the Marines about a month ago with one tattoo and no piercings. I leave in May. I've been told that I cannot get any more tattoos until after boot camp, and obviously won't do so. I cannot remember any of the details I was given about ear piercing and gauges, or even other body piercings for that matter. I haven't been able to contact my recruiter yet, so I've searched online and found most Marines look down upon piercings. But I would still like to get my ears pierced and gauged to a point where they can heal naturally (I plan to go to a 2 or 4). Can anyone point me in the direction of any definitive information about piercings and gauges? I plan on having them out for at least 2 weeks before boot camp and not getting them again while I'm in the Corps. Help appreciated.

chadhertz
02-10-09, 11:13 PM
Fill out your profile and you might get some answers. If I'm correct there is a no tolerance for ear piercing. I'm not a Marine or in DEP yet so I don't know for sure.

Abacinate
02-10-09, 11:21 PM
Thanks for the advice. Just finished updating my information. Forgot to mention that I'm a male. I guess I just need to know if it's OK to get my ears pierced and gauged(stretched) after I've joined the delayed entry program, but remove them before boot camp.

nvusmcsgt
02-10-09, 11:35 PM
If you do it, don't join the Corps. That is all I have to say about it. Guageing your ears...sheeesh join a circus.

Abacinate
02-10-09, 11:42 PM
If you do it, don't join the Corps. That is all I have to say about it. Guageing your ears...sheeesh join a circus.
I appreciate the input and understand why you think that sir, but I'd really like to find some definitive and unbiased information on the policies and limitations for it. I'm not willing to risk my future career as a Marine, so I'm just trying to read up on what and what isn't allowed while in the delayed entry program.

Quinbo
02-11-09, 12:23 AM
Look up MCO P1020.34 G ....
Is your search engine broke? This has been addressed ad nauseum on this site and others.
You would have to seriously have a broken brain housing group to think you could go to boot camp dressed up like a girl.

stipesml
02-11-09, 12:59 AM
its not allowed, males are not authorized to have any piercings whatsoever, u can get more tattoo's just tell your recruiter what you plan on getting.

mbrazil
02-11-09, 01:00 AM
Before boot you are not allowed to get any piercings or tattoos at all.

Why do you want to get piercings or gauges?

commdog7
02-11-09, 01:20 AM
No piercings.

I'm going to go ahead and say this, I know most Marines on here are thinking the same thing. Males with piercings look stupid, period. Maybe you want to look "cool", but to Marines, you look stupid. Males with earings hurt the image of the Corps, and the Corps has the highest standards- in case you didn't know. I don't care what ear its in, its gay. I'm sure that can fly in the Navy, but you're looking into the Marines, are you not? Maybe its just a female perspective, but male's with earings just ain't right.

Do you want a tampon to go with it?

commdog7
02-11-09, 01:28 AM
By the way, you do know that the Don't Ask Don't Tell policy is still in effect, right? Just checking.

mbrazil
02-11-09, 01:39 AM
By the way, you do know that the Don't Ask Don't Tell policy is still in effect, right? Just checking.

lmao :thumbup:

Abacinate
02-11-09, 01:56 AM
I'm not sure how earrings could imply that a person is homosexual just by looking at them. The closest answers to my question that I've found pertain to when in uniform. If I am in the DEP, I don't necessarily HAVE to follow the uniform code yet, do I? I plan on having them fully healed by boot camp.

Abacinate
02-11-09, 02:25 AM
There are some pretty broad assumptions being made about me (and others) for asking a simple question about piercing regulations while in the delayed entry program and not official active duty. This is in no way about my sexuality, and I fail to see how it could possibly indicate my sexual preference either way. It's a growing and widespread hobby among many people of all kinds. I've sworn in already, and have signed the next 8 years of my life to the Corps, and am simply wondering if it would be against my contract to have piercings since I'm not technically in uniform until after basic (to my understanding). Would I be able to get them AFTER I fulfill 4 years of active duty?

Quinbo
02-11-09, 02:32 AM
Right now believe it or not you are in the IRR. While in the IRR before and after your active duty you are mandated to maintain physical fitness and appearance of a Marine and do nothing that is detrimental to the good order and discipline of the Marine Corps. Do something stupid and your recruiter can swap your contract for an application at burger king.

Abacinate
02-11-09, 02:47 AM
Thanks for the input. I'll be sure to check with my recruiter before I make any decisions like that before basic training.

Covey_Rider
02-11-09, 03:24 AM
Abacinate, it's not being assumed that you are a homosexual. All that was said is that to Marines, ear piercings are gay. Not saying that you're the receiver/catcher for whatever team it is that you play for...but just that getting it done and walking around tryin to look hard because your ears are pierced, is gay. I'm not sure if you're getting this or not...but I hope you do. Don't take any offense to this and hopefully you've got some thick skin haha. Either way...just don't get your ears gauged out.

You've signed a contract into the Marine Corps and the Marine Corps has standards. Let this be the first lesson that you will have of many about having to adhere to the standards of the Marine Corps. You wanna look like a fairy then go join a different branch. You obviously don't like the answers that you got on here so now you're going to check with your recruiter like you should have done in the first place.

I apologize that this isn't the hippie ear piercing society. We just make fun of the gay guys who do it and slap them around a little bit haha. FYI your recruiter will look at you like you're gay too when you ask him haha. Like I said though, hope you've got some think skin for the Marine Corps so that comments like, "You gauged your ears??? Why so your boyfriend has a couple more holes to choose from???!!!"...don't bother you hahaha.

Quinbo
02-11-09, 03:37 AM
You rock covey!!!!!!

sparkie
02-11-09, 05:36 AM
http://images.nitrosell.com/product_images/3/571//200004.jpg

:evilgrin: Klinger got away with it,, but he was funny, you're not.

Phantom Blooper
02-11-09, 06:20 AM
If you do do the stupid thing of putting gauges in your ears prior to boot camp you will need to have the holes surgically closed and then you will need to get a waiver for the surgery.......stupid move.

Heed the advice on this site about the piercings........DON"T DO IT.....THEN NO ONE WOULD HAVE TO ASK....SO YOU COULD TELL!

If you do get a piercing get your nipple pierced so you have someplace to put your sunglasses at.... while training out in the MCRD in San Diego if you make it!

:evilgrin:

jinelson
02-11-09, 08:09 AM
Oh man this is hilarious!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v660/jinelson/froglaffing.gif

Jim

Chumley
02-11-09, 08:32 AM
To add to what's typed already, males are not authorized. Period. Not only does this apply to the DEP, once you've signed up / sworn in, but after earning the Title, Active Duty OR Reserves, you...

sscjoe
02-11-09, 08:36 AM
Jim, Good to see the frog back!!

hempstead56
02-11-09, 08:56 AM
Your recruiter is going to look @ you like your #%@#ing crazy.

Abacinate
02-11-09, 09:03 AM
Definitely understood now. My skin is definitely thick enough to take any kind of insults. Just when it seemed that I got called gay right off the bat without an answer to my question I wanted to make sure I wasn't actually being accused of being gay. And I did find MCO P1020.34 G, but wasn't able to clarify if that applied yet if I were still in DEP. Thanks again for the help everyone.

giveen
02-11-09, 10:20 AM
Not for long, Pres. Obama is going to repeal it.

Quinbo
02-11-09, 10:26 AM
Abacinate (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?u=59250)

Although I thought your question was gonna bring the wrath of every Marine from the present to a 100 years ago. You handled it all with respect and dignity. Keep the holes out of your ears and you have my respect.

Zulu 36
02-11-09, 10:27 AM
Definitely understood now. My skin is definitely thick enough to take any kind of insults. Just when it seemed that I got called gay right off the bat without an answer to my question I wanted to make sure I wasn't actually being accused of being gay. And I did find MCO P1020.34 G, but wasn't able to clarify if that applied yet if I were still in DEP. Thanks again for the help everyone.

Seems to me that only an implication was made. You drew the "gay" conclusion yourself. You mentioned the word first too.

UsmcMotorT
02-11-09, 10:35 AM
Well I dep'd in 9 months prior to shipping of to bootcamp (while still in High school).

The 9 months is actually taken in account when determining my end of current contract (at least in the reserves).

So it makes me believe what another Marine said earlier, you are considered to be in the IRR which is subject to the UCMJ.

Rocky C
02-11-09, 10:43 AM
I know the answer to this question. <br />
Kid from my hometown enlisted in the &quot;Corps&quot;, had his earlobes stretched to 2 gauge ( the size of his little finger ), took out the plugs to hide the holes,...

mbrazil
02-11-09, 01:16 PM
Instead of thinking about ear piercings why don't you spend your time wisely studying about my beloved Marine Corps!!!

Rocky

If thats not moto I dont know what is! :evilgrin:

SGT7477
02-11-09, 01:20 PM
I enlisted in the Marines about a month ago with one tattoo and no piercings. I leave in May. I've been told that I cannot get any more tattoos until after boot camp, and obviously won't do so. I cannot remember any of the details I was given about ear piercing and gauges, or even other body piercings for that matter. I haven't been able to contact my recruiter yet, so I've searched online and found most Marines look down upon piercings. But I would still like to get my ears pierced and gauged to a point where they can heal naturally (I plan to go to a 2 or 4). Can anyone point me in the direction of any definitive information about piercings and gauges? I plan on having them out for at least 2 weeks before boot camp and not getting them again while I'm in the Corps. Help appreciated.
Why not just wear earrings to boot camp?:flag:

SGT7477
02-11-09, 01:22 PM
No piercings.

I'm going to go ahead and say this, I know most Marines on here are thinking the same thing. Males with piercings look stupid, period. Maybe you want to look "cool", but to Marines, you look stupid. Males with earings hurt the image of the Corps, and the Corps has the highest standards- in case you didn't know. I don't care what ear its in, its gay. I'm sure that can fly in the Navy, but you're looking into the Marines, are you not? Maybe its just a female perspective, but male's with earings just ain't right.

Do you want a tampon to go with it?
Hit him again Marine,lmfao.:D

SGTBrentG
02-11-09, 01:53 PM
You could probably wear your ear ring to basic. I wouldn't recommend it when you go to BOOT CAMP!

commdog7
02-11-09, 02:36 PM
Hit him again Marine,lmfao.:D

Don't even get me started on the whole gauging thing....

I don't (want to) know what his sexual orientation is, but all I said was it looks gay. He will be attracting more males than females, I can almost guarantee him that. I will give him credit for how he handled himself. I expected him to snap at me or curse me out or something, but he held his ground, and I respect that. He seems to have some pretty thick skin and I wouldn't mind seeing him in my Corps (as long as he doesn't pierce/gauge his ears). If he want's to be a Marine, he should focus on studying Marine Corps history and improving his fitness, not asking dumb questions.

I think there are a few Drill Instructor's on here who can answer his questions better than any of us can. :D

SGT7477
02-11-09, 04:16 PM

I don't (want to) know what his sexual orientation is, but all I said was it looks gay. He will be attracting more males than females, I can almost guarantee him that. I will give him credit for how he handled himself. I expected him to snap at me or curse me out or something, but he held his ground, and I respect that. He seems to have some pretty thick skin and I wouldn't mind seeing him in my Corps (as long as he doesn't pierce/gauge his ears). If he want's to be a Marine, he should focus on studying Marine Corps history and improving his fitness, not asking dumb questions.

I think there are a few Drill Instructor's on here who can answer his questions better than any of us can. :D
I know there are some who would rip him apart.:D

yellowwing
02-11-09, 07:19 PM

Good ending Sgt! :thumbup: