PDA

View Full Version : Running Tips?

kash
02-10-09, 01:22 PM
My first IST run time was 13 flat. My 2nd IST was 11:45. I ran another one last friday to see where I was and noticed my run time got worse(12:20). My recruiter suggested adding sprints. I searched and read about sprinting certain distances while running. I was also told/read on here that doing alot of boot slappers would help build some muscles and add some endurance.

When im running my breathing is fine and I have real good shoes. My legs just seem to get really tired about a mile in. Is there anything else I can do to help beside just running everyday/sprints/ boot slappers? I have till June and my running is my weakness so im fixing that.

Chumley
02-10-09, 01:51 PM
My first IST run time was 13 flat. My 2nd IST was 11:45. I ran another one last friday to see where I was and noticed my run time got worse(12:20). My recruiter suggested adding sprints. I searched and read about sprinting certain distances while running. I was also told/read on here that doing alot of boot slappers would help build some muscles and add some endurance.

When im running my breathing is fine and I have real good shoes. My legs just seem to get really tired about a mile in. Is there anything else I can do to help beside just running everyday/sprints/ boot slappers? I have till June and my running is my weakness so im fixing that.

You are doing the right things. Keep running regularly, and you will improve. Sorry, that's really the answer.

There are some techniques that may help you a bit, so do a search on this site and you will find about a zillion tips and links. The common denominator is consistent practice. I suggest that you find a partner, maybe another Poolie or a Recruiter from your RS that is interested in training / running with you. Friendly competition will give your some additional motivation.

Good luck!
C

kash
02-10-09, 02:02 PM
Thanks for the help! Yeah the tips I found on the site and got from my recruiter are the sprinting/boot slappers/just running.

I went on a endurance run one time with my recruiter and that was a workout. Ill have to do more of those soon.

SlingerDun
02-10-09, 04:24 PM
My legs just seem to get really tired about a mile inYes boot slappers build leg endurance, not much muscle. I've been doing them for years when business is sporadic in the winter and if i don't then i suffer and pull quads and groins and basically stove up when work gets busy again. You may notice the benefits of boot slappers most when covering an incline. If your heavy or feeling excessive strain on the knees, don't complain, just dont go all the way down. It ain't worth it.

Bleachers! try em you'll hate em' but better cross training for a runner.

--->Dave

SGT7477
02-10-09, 04:25 PM

Run Forrest Run.:evilgrin:

Mariyta
02-10-09, 07:50 PM
I'm far from an expert, but these are some things that help me.

-Breathe deep and steady, making sure to exhale completely
-Shoulders back and loose (I find if I hunch my shoulders, it's harder on my legs)
-Knees slightly bent (I realized I tend to land straight-legged)
-Focus on heel-to-toe (my legs were cramping up a bit at first from this, but they quickly adjusted)
-And I'll second the sprints. Since starting intervals last week, my time has already improved.

Good luck and keep up the good work!

CBRN5711Tech
02-10-09, 08:14 PM
If you run 3-5 times a week at least a mile to three miles, you won't have anything else to worry about. Pull ups are much more important. Work on those. An eleven minute mile an a half is really all you need.

kash
02-10-09, 08:37 PM
If you run 3-5 times a week at least a mile to three miles, you won't have anything else to worry about. Pull ups are much more important. Work on those. An eleven minute mile an a half is really all you need.
Im at 14 pull-ups right and now and do Prymaids Monday-Friday.

napalm
02-10-09, 09:29 PM
Local recruiter told us something along the lines of this at a Poole Function, put your chest out and kind of lean forward so that your wieght is forcing your body forward, so all your legs are doing really is keeping you from falling(I don't do this). But i believe that most important aspect of running is the pace and cardio condition.

lagrand
02-10-09, 10:43 PM
Do you mind explaining the concept of "boot slappers" and the correct way to doing them?

misroxie
02-10-09, 10:51 PM
Run Forrest Run.:evilgrin:

LMAO priceless

Smitty Puffs
02-11-09, 05:29 AM
Your time in the Marines, mainly boot camp and SOI, will teach your body how to run. I was an ok runner before I joined but after SOI was done I could have been a track star. Don't rush it, the Marines will make you stronger. I promise that.

blackshirts
02-11-09, 02:51 PM
Has anybody ever had these lower back pains I'm having? They start about a mile in and it just gets worse and worse until I quit. I had a CT scan and they turned out negative so it doesn't sound like anything TOO serious. I'm really worried about this and I have to figure out what the deal is before I ship, otherwise it would likely be a short trip.

The next day it sorta feels like my back has sore muscles so maybe they're weak and just need strengthened. I'm not in near as good of shape as I was in high school, so hopefully if I keep plugging away it will help.

ThundaFromUnda
02-11-09, 03:00 PM
Has anybody ever had these lower back pains I'm having? They start about a mile in and it just gets worse and worse until I quit. I had a CT scan and they turned out negative so it doesn't sound like anything TOO serious. I'm really worried about this and I have to figure out what the deal is before I ship, otherwise it would likely be a short trip.

The next day it sorta feels like my back has sore muscles so maybe they're weak and just need strengthened. I'm not in near as good of shape as I was in high school, so hopefully if I keep plugging away it will help.

Is it like a progressive ache that builds up? Right at the top of your ass pretty much? If so I get it occasionally and the only way to stop them is to walk it out for a little bit.

BackhausD
02-11-09, 03:04 PM

It is weak lower back muscles. Do sit ups and Glute-Ham Raises and it should go away.

blackshirts
02-11-09, 03:15 PM
I think Backhaus nailed it. First thing I pulled from google after posting that I pretty much got my answer. My doc also said my hams are really, really, tight which is also another cause of lower back pain.

Going to do situps right now.

Chumley
02-12-09, 09:12 AM
Stretching is crucial, yet so often overlooked and undervalued. Stretch before and after each workout. Even if you don't do a full workout or run, you should spend a few minutes each day stretching the major muscle groups. Don't confuse stretching with hyper-extending yourself, but more like turning on the switch to your muscle groups. It not only relaxes your muscles but it effects your breathing as well. Good breathing is common to every single exercise or activity you will ever do, from running to shooting to healing and sleeping.

You guys are probably correct about weaker back muscle groups being responsible for the discomfort you have. Spend time to strengthen your weak areas of course, but be careful to discern between injury and discomfort. You may have to have it checked if it doesn't improve or gets worse. Running is uncomfortable when you are starting out. It get's better over time.

C

blackshirts
02-12-09, 02:16 PM
I had it cat scanned, so nothing should be too wrong. It was just weird to me experiencing discomfort running. I was really, really, into athletics in HS and a short time after and felt that that shouldn't happen to me. I was lying to myself as I'm not in near as good of shape. :cry:

Chumley
02-12-09, 02:40 PM
I had it cat scanned, so nothing should be too wrong. It was just weird to me experiencing discomfort running. I was really, really, into athletics in HS and a short time after and felt that that shouldn't happen to me. I was lying to myself as I'm not in near as good of shape. :cry:

Cadence

PAIN - In my feet.
PAIN - In my legs.
PAIN - In my back.
PAIN - IT'S IN MY HEAD.

Your body won't like what you will ask it to do, and occaisionally it acts up and must be quelled. Like I wrote below " be careful to discern between injury and discomfort " As you get stronger, you will also learn to displace the discomfort - It's in your head.

C

Smitty Puffs
02-13-09, 02:25 AM
Dont strech before running unless you've warmed them up. If you wake up, walk out the door, start stretching, and then run you could possibly pull or tear a muscle. Make sure you do jumping jacks or run in place if you're going to stretch BEFORE you run.

BigGunz90
02-13-09, 08:16 AM
I recommend what SlingerDun said, run the bleachers. When I was in track, us throwers would warm up with the runners and sprinters, and I swear my endurance and speed shot up at the end of the season. We would sprint a half mile and then do a fast jog the remaining mile while running up and down the bleachers.

Incorporating sprints into your workout not only builds strength and endurance, but burns MAJOR calories too if you're looking to lose weight.

Good luck.

mbrazil
02-13-09, 04:01 PM
Put one foot in front of the other really fast!

>repeat

Chumley
02-13-09, 04:55 PM
Dont strech before running unless you've warmed them up. If you wake up, walk out the door, start stretching, and then run you could possibly pull or tear a muscle. Make sure you do jumping jacks or run in place if you're going to stretch BEFORE you run.

I have to disagree with your statement Cuz. The whole point of stretching is to warm up and prevent tearing muscles. I definitely agree with you that one should not just walk out the door and start running, and there are lot's of ways to accomplish any warm up, but stretching is one of the most basic ways to go, especially for beginners.

SFi
C

coltie52
02-16-09, 12:18 AM

UP hill sprints