PDA

View Full Version : Day In the life

thedrifter
02-10-09, 08:33 AM
DAY IN THE LIFE

Written by STORYANDPHOTOSBY PFC. JERRICKJ. GRIFFIN 1st Marine Logistics Group
Tuesday, 10 February 2009

Spouses and relatives experienced a part of the lives of their Marine loved ones Jan. 29. Marine families of Combat Logistics Regiment 15, 1st Marine Logistics Group, and 1st Maintenance Battalion, 1st MLG, participated in an annual event known as Jane Wayne Day at Range 225 in Las Pulgas.

Jane Wayne Day is a long-time tradition of Marine Corps installations all over the world. This event helps Marines’ and sailors’ family members bond with them after experiencing a glimpse of their everyday lives in the military. The participants were broken into groups and sent to various stations to take on some of the physical and mental challenges of being a Marine.

“Letting the spouses of the Marines experience first hand what their loved one goes through all the time, helps them to understand and relate to the challenges the (service members) face everyday,” said Col. Joe P. Granata, commanding officer, Combat Logistics Regiment 15. “It also helps us recruit Marine (family members) to assist us in other events as well.”

The spouses were taught unarmed self-defense and controlling techniques, and body throws by volunteering instructors specialized in the Marine Corps Martial Arts Program. After this training, they were able to perform the techniques on their Marine loved ones so they could experience what engaging in hand-to-hand combat can be like.

“I enjoy doing MCMAP,” said Staff Sgt. Kate M. Kallmbah, radio chief, 1st Maintenance Battalion. “I enjoy teaching it to people other than Marines. This is not a work day for me, it’s just fun.”

After learning MCMAP, the spouses were able to fire simulated versions of the M-240B machine gun, the M-9 service pistol and the AT-4 rocket launcher, using the Indoor Simulated Marksmanship Trainer center. They were instructed on how the weapons functioned and shown how well each shooter performed in the exercise.

In the Combat Marksmanship Program portion of the event, family members wore Kevlar helmets and protective vests and fired the M4 carbine or M16 service rifle and the M9 service pistol. Before firing, all shooters were taught the fundamentals of carrying and handling the weapons.

The families grew closer towards the end of the event after experiencing some of what their loved ones go through.

According to the Marines and sailors who attended the event, the military service members are always on the job and should keep their family members involved.

“The day was actually really fun to fire the weapons and perform the martial arts,” said Jenny Worwood, a Marine wife from Gunnison, Utah. “It was a blast. I can’t wait to do it again next year.”

Ellie