PDA

View Full Version : Best Recruit Training Documentary?

Books
02-05-09, 12:30 PM
I had a conversation with my parents the previous night about what I would doing at MCRDPI... It turns out they were completely clueless. My dad seriously asked me if I get to go into Charleston on the weekends and if I could rent a car or date female recruits. So I've decided I need them to see a documentary of some sort, but I'm not sure which one I should dish out for. I have seen:

Making Marines - The one that's always on the military channel. It's good, but it's a little too old.

Ears, Open. Eyeballs, Click - It's more recent, and without any narration, my parents would be totally confused. It's too roughly cut.

Are there any others you folks have seen that you would suggest?

Scottie0417
02-05-09, 12:34 PM
Making Marines would be good for them because it's at PI and it gives good narration. If they watch Ears they wouldn't have a clue as to what's happening. I'd go with Making Marines, show them Ears after you get out of boot camp because then you might be able to explain it a little better. Before I shipped I watched Ears and thought to myself "What the hell is this?" Then when I got home I watched it and had a much better understanding of it since I'd been there.

Scottie0417
02-05-09, 12:35 PM
Also, there's nothing wrong with showing them the first half of Full Metal Jacket :marine:

Petz
02-05-09, 12:41 PM
"the Marines" from PBS... PM for more information on getting that one.

commdog7
02-05-09, 01:06 PM
Full Metal Jacket is probably the closest you will get, but don't show them that one! I think Making Marines would be your best pick, although it is a little out-dated, the training has pretty much stayed the same.

polizei
02-05-09, 02:51 PM
I would show FMJ! Ha, I'll probably show my parents when I get back...my mom FREAKED yesterday when my recruiter said I would be going through the "gas chamber." She is seriously clueless, as I think most of Americans are.

I've heard it paraphrased somewhere, something along the lines of, "Everyone loves Marines, but no one wants to know what they go through."

Old Marine
02-05-09, 04:08 PM
Also, there's nothing wrong with showing them the first half of Full Metal Jacket :marine:

Show them the complete "Full Metal Jacket" Movie. They should be afforded the chance to see what really takes place in Recrujit Training and after when you get to the combat area. Other than Lee Ermy getting shot by one of his recruits, that movie is right on target.

yellowwing
02-05-09, 04:48 PM
"Recruit Berkeley at Parris Island", that will be the best documentary-reality-show! :D

Books
02-05-09, 10:07 PM
"Recruit Berkeley at Parris Island", that will be the best documentary-reality-show! :D

That sounds funny as ****. Yes, I hate my last name... It isn't even my real name... Stupid "Americanization"... I'm not English (Lord Berkeley founded NJ, among other things, Berkeley square, etc), which is where every single other Berkeley draws their line from. Hell, even the original "Berkowitz" would be terrible.. Then people would think I'm a serial killer. FMLN.

EDIT: That's not to say, however, that I don't like my family history in this country. I recently received the American flag after my grandfater passed away, a WWII combat veteran, and all of his fathers before that. My first ancestor in this country was a corporal in the Union Army. My own father is the only male Berkely who hasn't served. He went to Yale. Go figure. Now people think we're WASP's, lol (we're Jews).

Achped
02-06-09, 04:25 AM
Full Metal Jacket is probably the closest you will get, but don't show them that one! I think Making Marines would be your best pick, although it is a little out-dated, the training has pretty much stayed the same.

Poolees think we are ****ing kidding, but I swear to God the first half of FMJ up to right before the dude blows his brains out is still, moreso than any documentary I've ever seen, the most accurate portrayal of USMC boot camp.

I've never seen a recruit hit in the gut in a documentary. But FMJ shows it all the time.

Achped
02-06-09, 04:26 AM
Show them the complete "Full Metal Jacket" Movie. They should be afforded the chance to see what really takes place in Recrujit Training and after when you get to the combat area. Other than Lee Ermy getting shot by one of his recruits, that movie is right on target.

Well said Gunny, poolees and civilians tend to think thats "back then" in Vietnam and its not like that anymore....but its still the same exactly ****.

0231Marine
02-06-09, 07:45 AM
My DI cold cocked me in the squad bay for losing my bearing while we were doing the grinder. I didn't do that again!