PDA

View Full Version : PT’ed to death

Knight86
02-04-09, 05:41 PM
Just a question , lets say your feel your ticker is about to give out on you and it is different then pushing through the pain, what would happen if the DI could not motivate you to run anymore?

IN 2005 SAN DIEGO ---- An unidentified Marine private died Thursday morning during a two-mile run at the Marine Corps Recruit Depot, a Marine spokesman said, the second death during a training exercise at the base this week.

The study found that most of the exercise-related deaths were from cardiac problems, while heat stress was the second-leading cause.

Just a thought I had after reading this…

Wes40138
02-04-09, 06:16 PM
Just a question , lets say your feel your ticker is about to give out on you and it is different then pushing through the pain, what would happen if the DI could not motivate you to run anymore?

IN 2005 SAN DIEGO ---- An unidentified Marine private died Thursday morning during a two-mile run at the Marine Corps Recruit Depot, a Marine spokesman said, the second death during a training exercise at the base this week.

The study found that most of the exercise-related deaths were from cardiac problems, while heat stress was the second-leading cause.

Just a thought I had after reading this…
Well at least this soul went down trying . If you feel your left side go numb .......what can you do, really ? I wonder if that recruit was hydrated properly(heat being a factor in their death) ? But you know the most fit and hydrated person can kill over in a second when God's ready for him/her.And the Drill Instructor I'm sure is taught what to look for as far as warning signs for heat stress and such .And if you feel your ticker going ,its too late anyways ,you can go side straddle hopping through the Pearly Gates .:yes:

thewookie
02-04-09, 06:30 PM
It's like dieing (cardiac arrest) when you're having sex; what would you rather be doing?

Suck it up, drink water.

And, if you die at Parris Island (not sure about SD) but if you die at PI, even if you don't earn the title you'll still go to heaven.

Phantom Blooper
02-04-09, 07:17 PM

You die!

Just for information........one can have the most complete up to date medical physical...be given a certified clean bill of health...by a civilian/military/contract sawbones...and walk out of the office and down the block and kick the dirt!

Example....young man playing football for high school...gets physical...plays/practices and dies on the field of some underlying cardiac disease......no immediate cause of death until autopsy....shiat happens!

If you have chest pains and you drop out of a run or hump....HOPE/WISH that you are having a heart attack because if its gas and all you have to do is fart.........you may wish that you was dead!:evilgrin:

Wes40138
02-04-09, 07:29 PM
You die!

If you have chest pains and you drop out of a run or hump....HOPE/WISH that you are having a heart attack because if its gas and all you have to do is fart.........you may wish that you was dead!:evilgrin:
Sir, may I please use that phrase as my signature ? That is the greatest thing I've read in a while

Phantom Blooper
02-04-09, 07:31 PM
Go for it!:evilgrin:

Wes40138
02-04-09, 07:34 PM
Thank you Sir !

blackshirts
02-04-09, 07:40 PM
But you know the most fit and hydrated person can kill over in a second when God's ready for him/her.:yes:
These types of thoughts scare me that people believe these things. That's all I'm saying on that...:sick:

Domion
02-04-09, 09:13 PM
You die!

Just for information........one can have the most complete up to date medical physical...be given a certified clean bill of health...by a civilian/military/contract sawbones...and walk out of the office and down the block and kick the dirt!

Example....young man playing football for high school...gets physical...plays/practices and dies on the field of some underlying cardiac disease......no immediate cause of death until autopsy....shiat happens!

This is exact thing happened to a kid on my football team in highschool. We were running not very hard either and when we went to get water he just dropped, started shaking gasping for breath.It was a hard thing to see happen, we still played our game that friday and won in a big way it was probably the most emotional win. Later that next week our coach told us he had some heart disease that never showed up on the sports phys required to play. Now our school makes all athletes sign a bigg contract and see a doctor before preseason.

commdog7
02-04-09, 10:25 PM
One of the most prominent signs of heart problems is when your left shoulder goes numb for no apparent reason (most likely followed by tightness in your chest). You will know that it is something serious if it happens, there is pretty much no mistakening it. Don't take chances, request to go to medical and get checked out- it may be the difference between life and death.

Books
02-04-09, 11:00 PM

The article makes it seem like it's normal that recruits die "every so often" at recruit training, but it is unusual that it has happened twice in one week... Now Im' curious; how many recruits die at recruit training every year?

Scottie0417
02-04-09, 11:29 PM
When I was there last summer, I'm almost positive that a recruit died in the company ahead of mine. I know that several from that company dropped due to heat stroke on their 8 mile hike, including a DI. We caught wind of that from recruits from that company and when our 8 mile hike rolled around that next week, they shortened it to maybe 5 miles.

blackshirts
02-05-09, 01:51 AM
The article makes it seem like it's normal that recruits die "every so often" at recruit training, but it is unusual that it has happened twice in one week... Now Im' curious; how many recruits die at recruit training every year?
I missed the suggestion. I just see that it was the 2nd in one week.

Wes40138
02-05-09, 04:41 AM
These types of thoughts scare me that people believe these things. That's all I'm saying on that...:sick:
Whats so scary about it ? Do you think that people with beliefs are fools or something ? Mindless sheep maybe? Thats the impression I'm left with from your statement ,maybe I'm wrong . But I would elaborate a bit more on your thoughts so as to clear up any confusion .

commdog7
02-05-09, 07:40 AM
When I was there last summer, I'm almost positive that a recruit died in the company ahead of mine. I know that several from that company dropped due to heat stroke on their 8 mile hike, including a DI. We caught wind of that from recruits from that company and when our 8 mile hike rolled around that next week, they shortened it to maybe 5 miles.

Almost every year a recruit dies in boot camp. It is surprising that two died in one week, but it is possible. The majority of them are from the heat and previous medical conditions that they did not disclose when they joined/shipped. I remember when I was in boot, about 1/4 of my series dropped as heat casualties during one bad day on the range. I would go as far as saying that 1/2 of us were actually heat casualties, as most of us tried to hide our symptoms. Some recruits ended up spending a few days in the hospital due to heat stroke. It happens.

NoRemorse
02-05-09, 07:47 AM
I was PTing regularly and having what I didn't know at the time was angina at about 0100 every night in the rack. Extreme pain between the shoulder blades that would keep me up for a few hours.

Kept pushing, kept running, kept pulling and eventually had to go to BNH for a follow up cause my vitals were funky. My heart gave out right there while waiting to be seen and I was rushed to the ER.

In 2007 a Lt. Commander at Bethesda told me that he'd seen at least 8-9 other guys who were between 21 and 30 who had heart attacks with no apparent history or further diagnosis possible. Go figure. I wasn't a fat body and was at fighting trim standing between 220 and 230 pounds at 6'2".

BTW, 2007 was when I was cleared to go back to Active Duty, after a heart attack and doing cardiac rehab on my own. Now I'm starting the waiver process to return on the AD side. Not only can you survive; you also have a chance at fighting your way back.

You will most likely not know what's happening when it's happening. Afterwards, you will most definitely be conscious of anything that happens with your ticker.

thewookie
02-05-09, 08:33 AM
If you feel pain in the chest cavity area, then you should stop, but then you might feel real pain.

Go ahead, jump in the sick, lame, and lazy Hummer with the rest of the limp d*cks, relax and enjoy the ride, but I'll get my PT out of you at some point doing something physical - you can believe that.

I'm not trying to act hard or like it can't happen; before I left Kaneohe there was a super stud Sgt. that was out PTing one day getting ready for Sgt.'s course and as he was going by the Regimental HQ he fell to the ground in cardiac arrest and died.

WTF. WHo knew?

Anything is possible, don't live your life worrying about sh*t you cannot control.

Prepare yourself physically and hydrate, and then it's up to the big guy upstairs when it's your time; you nor I, have zero control over it.

Phantom Blooper
02-05-09, 08:33 AM
You will most likely not know what's happening when it's happening. Afterwards, you will most definitely be conscious of anything that happens with your ticker.

Been there........Done that.........like an elephant tap dancing on your chest!:beer:

:evilgrin:

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

NoRemorse
02-05-09, 08:43 AM
Been there........Done that.........like an elephant tap dancing on your chest!:beer:

:evilgrin:

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

And we're still here SSgt. Love my Rose Garden, tend to it everyday with sweat and blood.

First round is on me!

Semper Fi :flag:

commdog7
02-05-09, 10:45 AM
I was PTing regularly and having what I didn't know at the time was angina at about 0100 every night in the rack. Extreme pain between the shoulder blades that would keep me up for a few hours.

Kept pushing, kept running, kept pulling and eventually had to go to BNH for a follow up cause my vitals were funky. My heart gave out right there while waiting to be seen and I was rushed to the ER.

In 2007 a Lt. Commander at Bethesda told me that he'd seen at least 8-9 other guys who were between 21 and 30 who had heart attacks with no apparent history or further diagnosis possible. Go figure. I wasn't a fat body and was at fighting trim standing between 220 and 230 pounds at 6'2".

BTW, 2007 was when I was cleared to go back to Active Duty, after a heart attack and doing cardiac rehab on my own. Now I'm starting the waiver process to return on the AD side. Not only can you survive; you also have a chance at fighting your way back.

I have a similar, but less dramatic experience in boot. Some quick background: I was born with heart problems that went away when I was about 10 years old. My recruiter actually told me to cover it up, but I eventally did inform the medical personnel when it came time for me to ship. They almost did not let me go through with training, but after a thorough medical assessment, they gave me the go ahead.

About half way through recruit training, I noticed that my left shoulder went numb for no apparent reason. I started having tightness in my chest which was followed by periods of sharp chest pain that I couldn't explain. I knew something was wrong, but I did not want to go to medical- I did not want light duty/ bed rest. I figured I could push through it and see what happened. The symptoms lasted for a few days, no more than a week, but it was a scary time because I recognized the symptoms as a possible heart attack. I never did go to medical, never did tell anyone in my platoon what I was experiencing (I actually got quarter-decked almost every day while this was happening). I don't know if I had a heart attack or not- or a near heart attack. All I know is that I risked everything I had on the belief that I would make it through alright, and came close to loosing it all.

Looking back, if I had the opportunity to do it all again, I would not think twice about going to medical. That is not a gamble I am willing to make a second time. What I did was stupid. I highly encourage any poolees who may experience something similar to inform the Corpsmen. By ignoring it, you may be the next headline of the recruit who dies in boot camp.

Knight86
02-05-09, 11:21 AM
I am one of those people that only goes to see a doctor if I am dying.. or if I have any major problems that persist past 4-5 days such as can't feel my arm or fingers for 4 days, or all of a sudden I can't see. I was wondering if in the eyes of Marines if that was considered too soft.. but you all have made very good points, I ship in 3 days to MCRD SD and am going with the attitude that was stated earlier in this thread.

"And if you feel your ticker going ,its too late anyways ,you can go side straddle hopping through the Pearly Gates"

Going to kill myself to get back and see everyone in 3 months but if it takes longer then I have only myself to blame... cya then

polizei
02-05-09, 11:26 AM
Wow, I ship in 3 days, and this definitely isn't moto!!!!

commdog7
02-05-09, 11:38 AM
I was wondering if in the eyes of Marines if that was considered too soft..

It depends on your situation. You will see recruits go to medical for the stupidest things, often to get out of PT. We had this one recruit that requested to go to medical on Famil Day because of a simple "cough". My DIs almost blew their top, but they couldn't deny a recruit medical. It turns out that recruit did not want to see their family. If it's something small like a minor headache or some other form of minor pain, then yes, it is viewed as being weak. But if it is something more serious, such as a sprained ankle, stress fracture, broken bone, heat stroke, or heart attack (etc.), then it is acceptable and highly encouraged to seek medical attention. Don't waste the Corpsman's time with the small things, but if it is something serious, definately go get checked-out.

Good luck with becoming a Marine!

NicholasITALY
02-05-09, 03:23 PM
Do or die.
Not everyone can be a Marine.

But if you get these symptoms go see the doctor. I know it's about do or die, but if you can save your @$$ go for it.
Push every time to the limit. But if you feel pain near your chesty, go see the medic.

usmcpooleepfd
02-05-09, 03:49 PM
One of the most prominent signs of heart problems is when your left shoulder goes numb for no apparent reason (most likely followed by tightness in your chest). You will know that it is something serious if it happens, there is pretty much no mistakening it. Don't take chances, request to go to medical and get checked out- it may be the difference between life and death.

wat if ur right shoulder hurts?

thewookie
02-05-09, 04:19 PM
wat if ur right shoulder hurts?

R u right handed?

usmcpooleepfd
02-05-09, 04:31 PM
R u right handed?
yes i am

thewookie
02-05-09, 04:37 PM
yes i am

Good thing cause lefties are backwards and get brass in their mug.

Oh, and it makes no difference as far as chest pains go....:banana:

NoRemorse
02-05-09, 07:26 PM
Good thing cause lefties are backwards and get brass in their mug.

Oh, and it makes no difference as far as chest pains go....:banana:

The Sgt had me going to. I was expecting a completely inappropriate joke.

Symptoms include... you becoming a malingerer if I tell you so don't worry about it because you'll give yourself a fit. Do your best, when you have a real problem that's not gas then go take care of it.

Live by the maxim: if you fart and it don't feel better, you're already dead.

biesseb
02-05-09, 07:34 PM
It depends on your situation. You will see recruits go to medical for the stupidest things, often to get out of PT. We had this one recruit that requested to go to medical on Famil Day because of a simple "cough". My DIs almost blew their top, but they couldn't deny a recruit medical. It turns out that recruit did not want to see their family. If it's something small like a minor headache or some other form of minor pain, then yes, it is viewed as being weak. But if it is something more serious, such as a sprained ankle, stress fracture, broken bone, heat stroke, or heart attack (etc.), then it is acceptable and highly encouraged to seek medical attention. Don't waste the Corpsman's time with the small things, but if it is something serious, definately go get checked-out.

Good luck with becoming a Marine!

Lol, we had a couple do it to get out of the Motto run. I couldn't believe it..the motto run was the most exciting part of the whole ordeal.

Donut Brigade
02-05-09, 08:34 PM
I hate running with a passion, but the Motto run was so much fun. Slow as hell and bad ass cadences. Oh and my shoes were untied for the whole 3 miles, but I didn't notice until we passed the PX again on the way back, lol

0231Marine
02-06-09, 07:48 AM
It's weird but the best run I was ever on was in MCT and it was fast as hell in boots and ute's. It was the first time I heard, "Don't let the green grass fool you." Some awesome sh!t!