PDA

View Full Version : I'm in the DEP as of yesterday..... now when do I pick my MOS?

Tolerance
02-03-09, 02:58 PM
So I'm finally in the DEP (so many recruits in January, a lot of people had to be pushed back to February!)

now, when do I choose my MOS? My recruiter knows which MOS I want, etc, but he's had to deal with personal issues lately and I'm his last Poolee, sooo he's been tied up with his own stuff (this week is his last week of recruiting + he's moving).

If I remember correctly, the Gunny at my station takes care of my MOS and I need to fill out some request sheet of some sort?

any help will be appreciated... thanks guys!

blackshirts
02-03-09, 03:19 PM
All I know is there will be another contract, the one you ain't backin' out of. That's when your MOS will be in your contract.

Knight86
02-03-09, 04:02 PM
Call you recruiter ask him/her what’s up they will probably send you to the gunny if they can't deal with it right now, also how long are you in the dep? You pick your MOS in the dep then get a "new contract" when you go back to ship to boot..

If you have six months in the dep it isn't extremely urgent that you get your MOS right now this week... and your recruiter may have a time planned for you...

Tolerance
02-03-09, 04:46 PM
Call you recruiter ask him/her what’s up they will probably send you to the gunny if they can't deal with it right now, also how long are you in the dep? You pick your MOS in the dep then get a "new contract" when you go back to ship to boot..

If you have six months in the dep it isn't extremely urgent that you get your MOS right now this week... and your recruiter may have a time planned for you...

I DEP'd in yesterday.

long story short, somebody was medically DQ'd Feb 9th and that slot was supposed to be taken by me. But, some poolee that had a shipdate in January couldnt go to boot bc he couldnt do 3 damn pullups. on sunday (day before i DEP'd in) he did the pullups finally and was able to ship and got the Feb 9th date.

now I'm told my recruiting office is being allowed to over-ship for February and this Saturday is a "poolee scrub" where all the Commanders for the recruiting area (a Major, Master Gunny, and others) will be there to evaluate all of us on our IST. whoever has the highest IST (which I do) and wants to leave asap (WHICH I DO) will be able to leave. This is a time to "prove" one's self, and I'm excited for Saturday.

I'm trying to get this MOS stuff squared away with so, hopefully, I can leave next week.

yes, it's crunching time, but it's been done before and was done with a Poolee last month. I'm hoping for the best! :)

PaidinBlood
02-03-09, 06:26 PM
Well good luck to you-sounds like a time to shine. Keep up with it once you're in-you never know when oppotunities pop up and the Marine in the best position to snatch it up will take it. Hopefully the same applies to you.

Tolerance
02-04-09, 12:25 AM
Well good luck to you-sounds like a time to shine. Keep up with it once you're in-you never know when oppotunities pop up and the Marine in the best position to snatch it up will take it. Hopefully the same applies to you.

Thank you, Marine! That's some encouraging/eye-opening advice I needed.

I'm gonna go to the office tomorrow and talk w/ the Gunny. Hopefully the MOS I'm wanting is available and, hopefully, I can leave next week :D

Mindgame
02-06-09, 12:04 AM
There going to allow to over ship? That makes no sence. Unless of course the recruiters feels it better for them to only ship a certian amount and save poolies for later months so they don't have to worry about meeting quotas. Then again I am not a recruiter so i have no clew what I am talking about.

If you really wanted to ship. He could do it tomorrow. Only issue with that is. You might not get the job you want.

Tolerance
02-06-09, 12:15 AM
There going to allow to over ship? That makes no sence. Unless of course the recruiters feels it better for them to only ship a certian amount and save poolies for later months so they don't have to worry about meeting quotas. Then again I am not a recruiter so i have no clew what I am talking about.

If you really wanted to ship. He could do it tomorrow. Only issue with that is. You might not get the job you want.

yea i just realized i cant even get any Intel job i want (search for my other thread i made earlier) :cry:

now I'm just focused on leaving ASAP. and yes, my recruiting area is allowed to be over shipping people in February. WHY? I have no clue. but we have MORE than enough people.

put it this way... when I DEP'd in, they "projected" me for SEPTEMBER. why? because all of the other months are FILLED.

the Marine Corps is limited to the amount of people they can ship each month. and in my area, recruiting is doing EXTREMELY well. too much than they asked for lol

I spoke to the Gunny and my MOS is gonna be pretty tricky to even get squared away with (well, with whatever I have available now I guess).

Everything happens for a reason and im hoping things work out in the end.

DGardner
02-06-09, 10:24 PM
Is this normal now? When I DEP'd I already had my MOS picked out and signed the paperwork at MEPS the first time around.

Tolerance
02-06-09, 10:29 PM
Is this normal now? When I DEP'd I already had my MOS picked out and signed the paperwork at MEPS the first time around.

really? i dont think i've heard of this.

and PM a mad so your avatar can say POOLEE! :)