PDA

View Full Version : Can't convince him...

mustangman21
02-01-09, 11:44 PM
Hey everybody. First off just want to say thanks to everyone who has served and plans to serve in the future. I am 17(turn 18 in june), and am trying to enlist. My overly protective mother has already agreed and signed all of the paperwork but my dad keeps trying to get me to change my mind. Any ideas on how I can get him to agree? Ive wanted to be a Marine since I was in diapers. I could wait but since I have been preparing for this since I turned 15 I want an earlier ship date. Any ideas would help. Thanks.

mgkusmc
02-01-09, 11:50 PM
Sit him down and say to him man to man, this is what I want to do....now you can either help me and support me.....or I will just do it on my own. Either way this is happening....and you cant stop it.

If that doesnt work...you might just have to wait till your 18 thats not a big deal, just go to MEPS on your 18th birthday enlist and ship as quickly as possible.

Also someone move this to ASK A Marine!

PaidinBlood
02-01-09, 11:55 PM
Tell him you won't be his friend anymore if he doesn't sign...

mgkusmc
02-02-09, 12:04 AM
Tell him you won't be his friend anymore if he doesn't sign...

hahaha.....give ya my snack pack

KawiGunny
02-02-09, 06:57 AM
Sit him down and say to him man to man, this is what I want to do....now you can either help me and support me.....or I will just do it on my own. Either way this is happening....and you cant stop it.

If that doesnt work...you might just have to wait till your 18 thats not a big deal, just go to MEPS on your 18th birthday enlist and ship as quickly as possible.

Also someone move this to ASK A Marine!

Very good advice. Be firm but never be disrespectful. Make sure he understands your feelings about joining the Corps. I'm sure he will come around. Just don't push it. He is your dad.

sparkie
02-02-09, 07:05 AM
Your mother signed. It only takes one right? Why arent you in dep now? Are you just waiting for Meps?
As far as shipping earlier, outside of bumping off another Poolee, you can only ask,,,,Oh, yea you ain't in Dep yet.

KawiGunny
02-02-09, 07:19 AM
Your mother signed. It only takes one right? Why arent you in dep now? Are you just waiting for Meps?
As far as shipping earlier, outside of bumping off another Poolee, you can only ask,,,,Oh, yea you ain't in Dep yet.

I somewhat agree with you. Why isn't he in DEP yet? But at the same time, maybe he doesn't want to sign up and cause friction between him and his father. He has the rest of his life to live as a Marine. If he has a good relationship with his father then he needs to ensure it stays that way as long as he is considered a minor. So what if he has to wait till he is 18. It's less than a year. We will see him in our ranks eventually.

Achped
02-02-09, 07:23 AM
It requires both parents to sign up.

sparkie
02-02-09, 07:28 AM
It requires both parents to sign up.

It didn't in my day.

mcvet57103
02-02-09, 09:50 AM
Set your Dad down, just you and him, and simply tell him: Pop you raised me to be a Man, to follow my dream, and taught me to think things through. Let me be that Man. I have thought long and hard, and decided I want to be the best, and one of the finest. I love you and I would like your support, but either way I am doing this.

That is what I told my old man. I was 17. He looked me solidly in the eye, and saw my resolve. Sighed and said. OK. The rest is history. SF

mustangman21
02-02-09, 11:18 AM
Thanks guys...since my parents are divorced and have joint custody my recruiter said that I could get by if she wrote a letter but I didnt want him to completely disown me since my girlfriend is living with him while im in boot. Thanks for the advice ill give it a try again.

Zulu 36
02-02-09, 11:29 AM
Boy, I sure was lucky then. My father tried to pay the recruiter to take me earlier. :scared:

PaidinBlood
02-02-09, 11:43 AM
My mother was pretty similar....

martinj
02-02-09, 01:32 PM
but I didnt want him to completely disown me since my girlfriend is living with him while im in boot.

Uh-oh I bet he'll take real good care of her while your gone.

PaidinBlood
02-02-09, 01:44 PM
Uh-oh I bet he'll take real good care of her while your gone.

Oh sh!t! Sick burn... :thumbup:

mcvet57103
02-02-09, 02:40 PM
Uh-oh I bet he'll take real good care of her while your gone.A Daddy Jodie!!! ROFLMFAO!!!

mustangman21
02-02-09, 08:37 PM
yeah lets consider this thread closed...before someone makes another dumb ass comment.

C BAKER
02-02-09, 09:58 PM
Hey everybody. First off just want to say thanks to everyone who has served and plans to serve in the future. I am 17(turn 18 in june), and am trying to enlist. My overly protective mother has already agreed and signed all of the paperwork but my dad keeps trying to get me to change my mind. Any ideas on how I can get him to agree? Ive wanted to be a Marine since I was in diapers. I could wait but since I have been preparing for this since I turned 15 I want an earlier ship date. Any ideas would help. Thanks.

I know what you mean. I decided that I wanted to become a Marine when I was turning 17. My parents never wanted me to sign that contract.
I can't tell you how many times I sat them down and talked to them about joining the greatest branch that man has ever known. They still disagree with me today. My dads side of the family is all Air-Force and my moms side is Army. My Grandpa is a Korean Vet so he didn't like me joining the Corps either. But I just told them that it is gonna happen whether they like it or not. Still I stand by my choice. :usmc: OO-RAH!

PaidinBlood
02-03-09, 09:41 AM
yeah lets consider this thread closed...before someone makes another dumb ass comment.

You better get some thicker skin than that, buddy. It's only going to get worse from here. Something about world's finest killers means you are expected to be immune to verbal jackassery and everyone feels the need to test you. And I'd like to know just who you were calling a dumb ass...

Enigmatic
02-03-09, 10:07 AM

http://attendingtheworld.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/jacknicholson.jpg

PaidinBlood
02-03-09, 10:09 AM
http://www.legendsofamerica.com/photos-NM-Misc/Truth%20Consequences-500.jpg

You're driving this bus, buddy-which is it?

KawiGunny
02-03-09, 10:15 AM
http://www.legendsofamerica.com/photos-NM-Misc/Truth%20Consequences-500.jpg

You're driving this bus, buddy-which is it?

As long as there aren't any elephant "floaties" in the lake I would take the lake option. :D

mustangman21
02-03-09, 12:21 PM
I said what I said and I was pretty clear about it. And my immunity stops at cracks about my family. So unless you have something to say that I might actually be interested in reading, move on to another thread.

mustangman21
02-03-09, 12:29 PM
I said what I said and I was pretty clear about it. And my immunity stops at cracks about my family. So unless you have something to say that I might actually be interested in reading, move on to another thread.

mustangman21
02-03-09, 12:37 PM

mustangman21
02-03-09, 12:43 PM
and I was talking about poolee martin 1

0231Marine
02-03-09, 12:47 PM
He meant it so much that he said it 3 times. So you know he's serious!

KawiGunny
02-03-09, 12:51 PM
He meant it so much that he said it 3 times. So you know he's serious!

Or was he stuttering? :D

NoRemorse
02-03-09, 01:06 PM
and I was talking about poolee martin 1

Did he just pull rank on a poolee?

E-0 of the Marine Corps!!!!!

KawiGunny
02-03-09, 01:09 PM
Did he just pull rank on a poolee?

E-0 of the Marine Corps!!!!!

mustangman must be the E-0

I think Poolee Martin is something like a E-0.5 since he is at least in the DEP.

KawiGunny
02-03-09, 01:10 PM
Remember mustangman21..... Marines have to have thick skin.

Give us a SitRep every know and then on the progress with your father.

martinj
02-03-09, 01:31 PM
mustangman must be the E-0

I think Poolee Martin is something like a E-0.5 since he is at least in the DEP.

LOL. He must be worrying about it because he got so defensive.

PaidinBlood
02-03-09, 02:06 PM
Alrighty Mr Stang-listen good because we're not about to get touchy feely twice. Here is how it is. You came here to learn about our Corps, a proud legacy of tough fighting men (and some ladies as of late...) 233 years in the making-a proud heritage which we are honored to serve and which you have the honor of even being considered for. Don't come in here as so many potential Jarheads do and get all butthurt because someone answered your question in a way you didn't appreciate.

You guys always worry about the answers you get without ever once considering WHY you get them. You got your balls busted a little bit but the lesson is just a little bit more subtle than that. The reason you got a ribbing was not because we hate you or want to see you leave, but simply because this is not something we can help you with. In the end, the decision is yours alone. If you want it bad enough you will sway the old man. Failing that, you will wait and enlist of your own free will upon reaching your majority. If you feel dismissed, it is because it is that simple. I know from where you are sitting it is not so cut and dried but the fact remains that its. We do not know your father therefore we do not know how to appeal to him. Also remember there is a reason they are your legal guardians-with it comes much responsibility. I tried volunteering for a third deployment with some other cats and my dad still thinks it's a terrible idea. Talk to him man to man and if he remains unconvinced then carry on and take the extra time to prepare.

As for the cracks on your family, how old are you? Are you still susceptible to "yo momma" remarks? Wake up, dude. Once you earn the right to call yourself a Marine guess who you will be working with? No $hit- MARINES! They will have nothing better to do than take your words and work your nerves. You walked right into that one, just shrug it off and keep going. At least in the fleet you will have the chance to knock his block off (if you really like being a PRIVATE) but you obviously can't do that here so stick to Plan A.

As the Gunny said, we wish you the best of luck and keep us up to date on your progress. I look forward to seeing you in the Fleet one day. :flag:

ps-Don't tell us when the floor is closed. and don't tell us to move on to a new thread. If you don't like it, the door is right there.

Enigmatic
02-03-09, 03:26 PM
Well said dude. Man, I can't even begin to tell you all the trash-talking, going back and forth, straight up INSULTS and pranks we gave one another on a daily basis. Non-Marines (such as yourself mustang dude) couldn't hack it. But it was/is just a part of life for us. It's whatever with us.

mustangman21
02-03-09, 03:56 PM
Sorry about that...just a bad couple of days and I've had a really short temper. I really didn't take any of that personally. I've said and heard much worse. Don't sweat any of it. Thanks for your help everybody I think I've finally gotten him to listen. I'll be sure to post my ship date and everything when I finally get enlisted. Thanks again.

PaidinBlood
02-03-09, 04:00 PM
Don't sweat any of it.

...I wasn't! :D

brovowisky
02-04-09, 03:22 PM
Both my parents were against it. They said in no way would they support me in going in to the Corp or any branch of the military. Don't get me wrong they are big supporters of the military, they just didn't want me to go in. When i decided to join i called up the recrutier said i wanted to talk to see what he could offer. I was going in re-guard less. 7 days later I was on the yellow foot prints. the way i got around it was an hour before the recrutier picked me up i sat them down and told them. So they had no chance to say no. I Don't suggest that approch, keep them in the loop it will work out better in the end. LOL good luck

BackhausD
02-04-09, 04:05 PM
WOW:banana: