PDA

View Full Version : A Super Bowl thank you to injured servicemembers

thedrifter
01-31-09, 07:16 AM
A Super Bowl thank you to injured servicemembers

Last Edited: Friday, 30 Jan 2009, 11:05 PM EST
Created: Friday, 30 Jan 2009, 10:55 PM EST

TAMPA -- A group of wounded Marines arrived at Tampa International Airport Friday afternoon after a long journey from the Middle East to Tampa.

It's a trip of thousands of miles, and an immeasurable distance for the soul.

"November 9th, 2:45pm, I was shot through the back of the head," Corporal Brandon Burns said.

"One-third of my brain was gone, and from Fallujah to Baghdad, I died five times. But the Lord had a purpose for me."

He and 40 members of the Marine Corp's Wounded Warrier Regiment arrived to TIA for Super Bowl. The Cleveland Browns donate tickets to the Marines ever year as a thank-you for their service, which Captain Leticia Reyes describes as priceless.

"Obviously what they've been through can't be matched. They've seen it all. They've been in combat fighting for their country and defending the life that we know," said Captain Reyes.

The regiment is made up of Marines injured in Iraq and Afghanistan. One marine lost both legs in Iraq, one month after he got there. It was his first tour. His is just one story.

"I was looking for IEDs, and my batteries died in my detector," said Marine Justin Knowles, whose left leg is amputated at the knee. "I stood next to a steel door and I thought there was nothing there. I stepped on an IED."

The young Marines later gathered at the Lutz Marriott with older Marines, part of the Marine Corp League. The League organized the reception to give the wounded warriors a proper welcome to Super Bowl city.

"We're home and we're going to look out for them," said Vietnam Veteran Tom Herron.

Vietnam Veteran Bill Cona says this is what he tells injured Marines: "There's two words. We simply say Semper Fi. Always faithful."

A surprise encounter with former Heavyweight Champion Evander Holyfield lightened the mood and reminded everyone of what's ahead.

"We're going to root for the underdog. We're going to go for the Cardinals," said Marine Jeremy Stengel, who served in both Iraq and Afghanistan.

The Marines will go to the game Sunday. They'll also check out celebrity flag football and Busch Gardens.

Ellie

thedrifter
01-31-09, 07:45 AM
Wounded Marines arrive in Tampa for Super Bowl weekendReported by: Elizabeth Dinh
Email: edinh@wfts.com
Last Update: 7:50 am

TAMPA, FL -- It's a day 44-year-old Jeff Pcola always dreamed of: watching, in person, his Pittsburgh Steelers playing in the Super Bowl.

When his flight landed in Tampa Friday afternoon, the wounded war veteran knew his dream was just a couple days away from coming true.

"It's unbelievable to be here," Pcola said after finding a seat at Tampa International Airport.

He was wounded in Baghdad in 2003 when a rocket-propelled grenade hit the vehicle he was in. He now has steel plates in his body because of his neck and hip injuries.

Pcola and about 30 other Marines are in Tampa for the Super Bowl. Through the help of the Cleveland Browns and donations, the Marines will be treated to a weekend filled with fun and events.

The Marines are part of the Wounded Warriers Regiment. Each served in Iraq or Afghanistan when they were injured.

Friday night, they'll be treated to a pig roast, hosted by local Marines. Saturday, they'll attend a celebrity flag football game. Then Sunday, the Marines will be treated to the NFL Experience for getting into Raymond James to watch the Arizona Cardinals play the Pittsburgh Steelers in Super Bowl 43.

Pcola told abcactionnews.com he found out he was going to the Super Bowl while the Steelers while they were still in the playoffs - and their making it to the Super Bowl meant his prayers were answered. To top it off, Friday becomes his last day of active duty since becoming a Marine in 1982. "To be here with a lot of other Marines," Pcola said, "It's unbelievable."

Ellie