PDA

View Full Version : Asthma

FutureMarine10
01-27-09, 02:55 PM
I got Advair and a albuterol when I was 13 or 14. Advair is used twice a day. I never had a asthma attack or anything really. I barely know I got it cause I don't use any of the medications. I am 17 and a Junior in High School. I have always wanted to go to the military ever since I was a child. I'm scared cause I heard a lot of people get turned down for enlistment with asthma. I am a great runner and athlete. Could I still get accepted or not?

Brando
01-27-09, 04:48 PM
Well i had the same problem you have. I didn't necessarily have Asthma symptoms, But i was given meds for it after the age of 13. I told my recruiter about it. He told me to grab every single medical doc from my childhood. I also went to my doctors and had a Pulmonary function test done. You will have to get that done and show it too MEPS. It took about 2 months but i finally got approved last week. But if you use the search bar up top you can find plenty of threads on Ashtma.GoodLuck.

hempstead56
01-27-09, 08:12 PM
A buddy of Mines went to Parris Island with Asthma and he made it. My Senior actually told us he had Asthma too. All you gotta do is become a Marine and they will take care of you.

Marine84
01-27-09, 09:17 PM
ROTFLMFAO!!!!! Foreskin...............oops, I mean Foreback!!! DI's are going to have SO much fun with your last name. I would LOVE to be a fly on the wall to see this!

BTW.....................READ THE OTHER 2,357,526,324 threads on ASTHMA!

Rains
01-27-09, 09:20 PM
I ACUALLY JUST WENT TO MEPS TODAY, AND DURING THE MEDICAL BREIFING HELD BY A AIR FORCE OFFICER WE WHERE TOLD THAT IF WE HAD ASTHMA OR WHERE PRESCRIBED AN INHALER FOR ASTHMA AFTER YOUR 13th BIRTHDAY THEN YOU HAVE TO MARK IT DOWN AND IT CAN POTINTIOLY DISQUILIFY YOU FROM CONTINUING.

SO IF YOU HAD ASTHMA FOR ANY PERIOD OF TIME AFTER YOUR 13th BIRTHDAY YOU BETTER TELL THE PEOPLE THERE AND TRY TO WORK SOMTHIN OUT BECAUSE THAT ISNT GOOD FOR YOUR PASSING MEPS SMOOTHLY.

Mike01
01-28-09, 03:48 AM
A buddy of Mines went to Parris Island with Asthma and he made it. My Senior actually told us he had Asthma too. All you gotta do is become a Marine and they will take care of you.

How bad was his asthma, if I may ask?

SS109
01-28-09, 08:01 AM
I got Advair and a albuterol when I was 13 or 14. Advair is used twice a day. I never had a asthma attack or anything really. I barely know I got it cause I don't use any of the medications. I am 17 and a Junior in High School. I have always wanted to go to the military ever since I was a child. I'm scared cause I heard a lot of people get turned down for enlistment with asthma. I am a great runner and athlete. Could I still get accepted or not?

I had asthma and I got in, and made it. So can you, just keep a good attitude and be patient. Keep the running up, stay in shape and you'll do fine

SniperBait0621
01-28-09, 08:55 AM
I run 3 miles in 20:10, do 15 pull-ups, and 100+ crunches, and I'm getting Admin-sepped for having Asthma. A doc noticed that I was wheezing and kept getting bronchitis-like symptoms, and diagnosed me as having cold-induced asthma.
If you feel you can hide it, and you have no wheezing in your lungs, Go for it.

Mike01
01-28-09, 03:45 PM
I had asthma and I got in, and made it. So can you, just keep a good attitude and be patient. Keep the running up, stay in shape and you'll do fine

Did you disclose your asthma at enlistment?

Also, did you have to have a lung function test?

SS109
01-28-09, 04:01 PM
Did you disclose your asthma at enlistment?

Also, did you have to have a lung function test?

Yes/yes

Abyss
01-28-09, 04:41 PM
If you're the type that pukes after every run from being so exhausted from not getting all the air you need, its going to be hard to hide.

hempstead56
01-29-09, 01:31 PM
After PT my buddy would always tell me he felt it acting up but he never wheezed.

Mike01
02-04-09, 02:56 AM
Yes/yes

Do you know what kind of asthma you have, SS109? When do you usually start to feel your symptoms?

Also, did you have to use an inhaler any after the age of 13? I heard that if you've had asthma symptoms after 13, the chances of getting a waiver get much slimmer.

PaidinBlood
02-04-09, 03:48 AM
I run 3 miles in 20:10, do 15 pull-ups, and 100+ crunches, and I'm getting Admin-sepped for having Asthma. A doc noticed that I was wheezing and kept getting bronchitis-like symptoms, and diagnosed me as having cold-induced asthma.
If you feel you can hide it, and you have no wheezing in your lungs, Go for it.

That sucks man, I'm sorry. I have a very similar problem and made it through 2 deployments and numerous workups. Doesn't bother me when working out but I do get that a few times a year ever since my first pump. I was just seen 2wks ago and they told me I had a "cold" gave me an inhaler, meds and an X ray and sent on the way... Do you have any chance to appeal it?

And Kim I don't know how I missed that post but you are terrible.. :D