PDA

View Full Version : Security clearance

adarisse
01-27-09, 02:01 PM
I am in the process of joining the Marine Corps. I have taken the ASVAB (91), physical (no problems), and will be taking the DLAB in a couple days (should do fine). I am hoping to become a cryptolinguist.

My question concerns security clearance, and when it is granted. According to a number of posts concerning the DLI, those attending the DLI might be thrown out for not being able to obtain a TS clearance. My recruiter told me that I can recieve a clearance before signing my contract. My question is: is it actually possible to recieve clearance, and have your background investigation before signing your contract? I don't want to be kicked out of the DLI to become a cook or something. Furthermore, my recruiter assured me that if someone is ejected from DLI for failure, they can make a special request to join the 03 field. Is this true?

I would like to make it clear that above all, I want to become a Marine, however, Cryptology, or another MOS in the 02XX field are jobs I would prefer. I need clarification regarding these issues from impartial and knowledgable sources such as yourselves. Thank you for your time.

Sgt0231
01-27-09, 02:22 PM
I am in the process of joining the Marine Corps. I have taken the ASVAB (91), physical (no problems), and will be taking the DLAB in a couple days (should do fine). I am hoping to become a cryptolinguist.

My question concerns security clearance, and when it is granted. According to a number of posts concerning the DLI, those attending the DLI might be thrown out for not being able to obtain a TS clearance. My recruiter told me that I can recieve a clearance before signing my contract. My question is: is it actually possible to recieve clearance, and have your background investigation before signing your contract? I don't want to be kicked out of the DLI to become a cook or something. Furthermore, my recruiter assured me that if someone is ejected from DLI for failure, they can make a special request to join the 03 field. Is this true?

I would like to make it clear that above all, I want to become a Marine, however, Cryptology, or another MOS in the 02XX field are jobs I would prefer. I need clarification regarding these issues from impartial and knowledgable sources such as yourselves. Thank you for your time.

Hmm I dont think I have heard of anyone getting their background investigation done before signing the contract. If you have a clear background, you could have your investigation done within a year. During boot camp, I had to be interviewed by an investigator. I finally received my clearance in 2005 when I was in Intel school and I have a clear background. However, there are people who are in the fleet as Intel and still dont have a clearance. It all depends on YOUR background history. Also, I dont see why they would have it done before you sign your contract because why would they waste money (ha, wasteful government spending) on something if they dont even know you will complete boot camp? Also, if you dont complete boot camp (say you get dropped), you could lose your 02xx spot that was held for you. (someone correct me if Im wrong here.)

Maybe someone else can help here, I am just speaking my own experience and what I have seen.

Frankf5
01-27-09, 02:27 PM
well I am currently in the dep program scheduled to leave in august, and I had my security clearance interview done last week. So it takes about a year to get your results?

Sgt0231
01-27-09, 02:34 PM
well I am currently in the dep program scheduled to leave in august, and I had my security clearance interview done last week. So it takes about a year to get your results?

Yeah you will have your interview done, but it takes a while for the process to be done. The investigator pretty much talks to everyone you know and if you have foreign relatives, it may take longer. There is no way you will go into boot camp with your clearance done.

Sgt0231
01-27-09, 02:36 PM

also, you could have several interviews done, to make sure past answers merry up.

Frankf5
01-27-09, 02:55 PM
oh ok thanks for the clearup

Sgt0231
01-27-09, 04:06 PM
oh ok thanks for the clearup
Anytime! :thumbup:

rg2o3
01-27-09, 07:25 PM
I also depped in as 02xx, and I was told I wont get my interview untill the last few weeks of boot.

adarisse
01-28-09, 07:11 AM
Thank you very much. All this makes a lot of sense. Does anyone have info regarding the question of the special request for 03?

Rocky C
01-28-09, 04:01 PM
When I was in school in Pensacola, NTTC, Corry Station in the late 70's, first the F.B.I. went to my hometown and talked to everyone, the police, my teachers, friends, family, etc, etc, then it went to N.I.S. Took over 5 months then I was granted my TS Security Clearance.

Rocky

rg2o3
01-28-09, 06:02 PM
Quick question. What happens if you are denied your top secret clearance? I was told that you would just get a new MOS, but I was wondering if you just get assigned one or if you have any imput on which new MOS you would get. Thanks.