PDA

View Full Version : Question

abailey
01-27-09, 09:16 AM
Is it possible to switch your MOS after being in the fleet for a couple years?

Achped
01-27-09, 09:35 AM
Technically, yes.

Actually, probably not.

When you've got a 7 month tour in Iraq/Afghanistan, then you're back in the states for 7 months, and then you go to Iraq/Afghanistan for another 7 months, repeat x4 years, you think you'll have time to lat move?

killerinstinct
01-27-09, 09:37 AM
generally when you reup is when you will be able to do it ive not known anyone to do it before unless of course they rock out of one and then they assign you to something you prolly wouldnt want to begin with

abailey
01-27-09, 09:41 AM
Ok, cause I'm torn between two MOS's and I wondered if I could maybe do one for a few years then switch to the other for a few more. Haha, pretty idealistic I know, just wasn't sure.

Thanks for the input.

killerinstinct
01-27-09, 09:43 AM
Which two ?

abailey
01-27-09, 09:46 AM
Intel Analyst and Ordnance Disposal. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Ordnance Disposal something you volunteer into? I think you also have to be Corporal

killerinstinct
01-27-09, 10:10 AM
well intel youd always have internet :) lol but ya ordnance disposal is considered a second MOS and generally the people who will go are generally familiar or already have the licenses and security clearance to get in generally in an ordnance or ammunition field. And you are generally attached with engineer batallion.

Basically it may or may not be given to you depending on your command and you will get sent to elgin AFB for like 8 months is the course and yada yada.

so it's not really a job youd get right off if you are chosen by your command to begin with go intel if you arent too sure and not many people cant get the TS clearance either

abailey
01-27-09, 11:40 AM
Does it take more than a spotless record to get TS clearance?

killerinstinct
01-27-09, 11:46 AM
i am not sure how they go about doing it. Thats what s-2 is for (intel) they do all that. I have seen a few people who for whatever reason got a different MOS cuz of the clearance
issue, for what i have no idea.

abailey
01-27-09, 11:48 AM
Alright, thanks a lot.

I have a spotless record so hopefully I will pass with little to no effort.

killerinstinct
01-27-09, 11:52 AM
but if you can get it in writing i was under the impression that you had to be an NCO and stuff but i know they were hurting a bit ago so maybe they are making it different. And of course theres the bonus of 150 bucks hazard pay if you perform live demolition. WOOHHOOO and no it's not each time sadly (:

abailey
01-27-09, 11:57 AM
Yeah, getting paid to blow $hit up sounds pretty good to me =]

Rocky C
01-27-09, 12:32 PM
When I was in school in Pensacola, NTTC, Corry Station in the late 70's, first the F.B.I. went to my hometown and talked to everyone, the police, my teachers, friends, family, etc, etc, then it went to N.I.S. Took over 5 months then I was granted my TS Security Clearance.

Rocky

abailey
01-27-09, 12:49 PM
Whoa, that's pretty extensive. Thanks for the input.