PDA

View Full Version : Home of accused Marine up for auction today

thedrifter
01-26-09, 07:46 AM
Home of accused Marine up for auction today <br />
The Associated Press <br />
Posted : Monday Jan 26, 2009 7:52:27 EST <br />
<br />
JACKSONVILLE, N.C. — The former home of a Marine corporal accused of killing a pregnant...

thedrifter
01-27-09, 05:47 AM
No bids yet on Laurean house
Comments 6 | Recommend 3
January 26, 2009 - 5:48 PM
LINDELL KAY
DAILY NEWS STAFF

He came on down, but the price wasn't right.

Maple Hill resident Darwood Holmes was the sole interested party in Cesar Laurean's home, which went on the auction block Monday morning.

But Holmes' interest turned south as soon as he discovered bidding would open at $101,878.28 - the required entry from the financer.

"I thought it might be $15,000 or $20,000, but that is too much money for that house," he said.

Law enforcement made a discovery of their own last January when the charred remains of a missing pregnant Marine were found in the backyard of this house no one seems to be interested in anymore. Lance Cpl. Maria Lauterbach vanished in December 2007 and after an intense investigation the second week in January 2008, local authorities zeroed in a colleague she had previously accused of rape. That man, Marine Cpl. Cesar Laurean, fled the Half Moon community home just hours before the grisly discovery at 103 Meadow Trail.

Bidding on the one-story, three bedroom, two bath house - valued at $86,107, according to Onslow County tax records - will remain open for 10 days. If someone places an upset bid with the Onslow County Clerk of Court within that time period, Countrywide Financial, the original lender, will have 10 days to make a bid, which is unlikely since the lender would want to be free of the property, according to Jacksonville attorney Marshall Dotson, who conducted the nonexistent auction on behalf of Wilmington law firm Brock & Scott.

It is not unusual for bidders to no-show at an auction but place a bid afterward, Dotson said.

But if everyone feels like Holmes does, Countrywide might be holding onto the property for awhile.

"I could see paying $20,000, but I am not paying $100,000 for that house in that neighborhood," he said. "It doesn't bother me someone died there. I am sorry she died, but it wouldn't bother me to stay there."

Holmes said his search for an affordable home will continue.

Meanwhile, the home's owner, Cesar Laurean, has a roof over his head in Mexico. Three months after fleeing, Laurean was arrested in a small town in Mexico. He is currently being held in jail there while he fights extradition.

Contact crime reporter Liddell Kay at 910-219-8456. Read Lindell's blog at http://onslowcrime.encblogs.com.

Ellie