PDA

View Full Version : What I learned about my teachers Dad

Poolee Snell
01-21-09, 10:08 PM
Let me start by thanking you for your service Marines

THANK YOU

Now why I am here. My teachers Father

He is a Marine who served in Vietnam which that I have known for a while. While knowing that he is a Marine veteran I always wanted to know more about him. But when I'd ask Mrs LaPointe (my teacher) of him, her responce was always that "he doesn't talk about it much". Not wanting to bug my teacher about it I stopped asking her about him. It's been a little less then a year since I've brought him up with her, but tonight a friend and I were staying late in her classroom to get some work complete. Without asking her anything about him I had just brought him up. I learned more about him than I ever wanted to know and she didn't even share that much.

He has no pride, no honor, no feeling that he might have done something that deserves the utmost appreciation for what he's done. From what I understand he probably has never been thanked for his service, only spat at for it.

Mrs. LaPointe said when he visits her he walks around the house gaurding it at night and when he does sleep it's on the porch with a weapon.
I didn't want to be rude but there was just one thing I wanted to know, I had to know: Had she ever thanked him for his service.

She hadn't!

I thought I am obligated to thank this man for his service I will not move on with my life until I know he has been thanked. But then is it really a good idea? I want to make sure I'm not doing the wrong thing. I know my intentions are good but will this just bring back memories he's been trying to forget his whole life?

I was thinking a big thank you card and I could have people I know from all over America sign it. Of course I would not allow this to get to him without Mrs. LaPointes consent. I would give to her whatever I might do and let her to deside if she wants to give it to him or not. I begg of you for I don't want to make thing worse for this Marine. Please tell me if I should go through with this I don't know anyone who would know better than you. :flag:

yellowwing
01-21-09, 10:18 PM
Moving to Ask a Marine.

rvillac2
01-21-09, 10:27 PM
There's nothing wrong with sending him a thank you card. It is also customary to say "Welcome Home" to a Vietnam Veteran. They can not hear that enough to make up for the lack of respect they received from their own generation.

0231Marine
01-22-09, 06:33 AM
Sounds to me that your intentions are noble. However, it also sounds like this Marine has some mental issues that are unresolved. I can't see anyone who is in their right mind, sleeping on their daughters porch with a gun waiting for some intruder to come across the wire. I would suggest maybe writing a letter thanking him for his service but don't push the issue about meeting him. Sounds like he might not be the type that wants to receive praise directly.

Wyoming
01-22-09, 09:42 AM
Sounds to me that your intentions are noble. However, it also sounds like this Marine has some mental issues that are unresolved. I can't see anyone who is in their right mind, sleeping on their daughters porch with a gun waiting for some intruder to come across the wire. I would suggest maybe writing a letter thanking him for his service but don't push the issue about meeting him. Sounds like he might not be the type that wants to receive praise directly.

All good points.

Poolee Snell
01-22-09, 03:51 PM
Thank you for your response’s it sounds as if I should do this.:thumbup:

I was thinking of making a big thank you card and maybe adding a welcome home on the same one or do two cards one for each.
My idea was to have different people who have appreciation give there thanks by signing the card and maybe sharing something about themselves on it.
Maybe a notebook so that it would be organized:idea:. I could add the EGA and/or the American flag on the cover.
Do you guys think this would be a good way to go about doing this?
Other suggestions would be well appreciated.

Thank You