PDA

View Full Version : ASVAB question

futuremarine129
01-20-09, 03:09 PM
i'm not enlisted yet, but my guidance counselor asked me if I was interested in taking the ASVAB this Thursday, which I said I was very interested. Then, my friend said I could only take the ASVAB if I was enlisted. I turn 17 the 29th,. and would wait If I need to, but I think it would be great if I could take it on Thursday. Is my guidance counselor right or my friend?

BackhausD
01-20-09, 03:53 PM
A lot of people take the ASVAB in high school. When you're at MEPS only the people who have not taken it before have to take it, but you can do it again if you want to try for a higher score.

polizei
01-20-09, 03:58 PM
Your friend is wrong, at least in the state of Ohio, you don't have to be enlisted to take the ASVAB. My vocational school offered it, and my recruiter was going to have me take it before MEPS. Take it Thursday.

BackhausD
01-20-09, 04:00 PM
I forgot to answers your question...
At my high school you didn't have to be in DEP to take it. Some people just took it for sh!ts and giggles. I don't know why someone would want to waste their time on three hour test when they know they are not joining the military.....

futuremarine129
01-20-09, 04:28 PM
Alright thanks, I'll be taking the ASVAB this Thursday for the first time. How is it?

polizei
01-20-09, 04:53 PM
It's very long and very boring...and full of things I didn't know! I got a bad score, but I didn't study at all (I had two days notice). One thing I would suggest is to study!

BackhausD
01-20-09, 04:54 PM
I thought everything but the mechanical and electronic sections were really easy, but a lot of people who took it with me said that those sections were the easiest part. So different parts will be harder for different people.

The math, science, word and paragraph comprehension was kind of remedial. You just need a basic understanding of algebra and english to do well on those parts. If you don't know much about cars and electronics I would brush up a little bit, but I don't know how much you are going to learn by Thursday.
I didn't study at all and got a 77. But if I had I probably would have done better.

Also don't worry about the time limits, it is more than enough time to finish it in.
Good luck

richrs01
01-20-09, 05:09 PM
Depends, I took mine at MEPS, which meant I had to be on a bus at 4am to get to Fort Meade... You're likely to not have that luxury.

As far as the test goes. Do you have a basic understand of math, english, science, mechanics and electronics? If so you should be fine. If you think your not going to do too well you can always hit up the world wide web's most popular search engine and look for "ASVAB study guide" or something of that nature.

I ended up with an 82. All other scores were over 120, with the exception of GT which was 116.

polizei
01-20-09, 09:58 PM
Is there a way to look up what score you got? I'm sure I could bug my recruiter, but honestly I don't want to and it doesn't matter/wouldn't effect anything.

Anyway, I think I got like a 49 or 50. It was pretty low, but I guess I got a GT of at least 100 because that's required and not waiverable (per about.us), which really is the only thing I wanted (for my MOS)! And I had to take mine at MEPS, at like 0600, which I'm sure didn't help!

kash
01-20-09, 10:10 PM
Is there a way to look up what score you got? I'm sure I could bug my recruiter, but honestly I don't want to and it doesn't matter/wouldn't effect anything.

Anyway, I think I got like a 49 or 50. It was pretty low, but I guess I got a GT of at least 100 because that's required and not waiverable (per about.us), which really is the only thing I wanted (for my MOS)! And I had to take mine at MEPS, at like 0600, which I'm sure didn't help!
Yeah I had a days notice when I took mine. I messed up on the math and it brought my score down alot. I got the score for the MOS I wanted so im not complaining.

Just study up on algebra II and basic mechanic stuff and your good

BackhausD
01-20-09, 10:41 PM

I was told my score at MEPS, but your recruiter does have it so you could ask him if you want.

I had mine early too, the sun wasn't even up yet. But as long as you're qualified then it's all good.

ecom
01-20-09, 11:24 PM
There is far more time than you really need to do the ASVAB. I was the last one out of the test room when I took mine and there was still plenty of time left. I thought I messed up because everyone was gone before I completed my test but I score 98 on the test and the other scores were all over 130.

I didn't study at all for the test before I went to MEPS to take the test. I didn't even know I was going to MEPS to take that test.

blackshirts
01-21-09, 01:58 AM
No need to study for it if you listened one bit in school. It's a breeze to pass for eligibility purposes. If you want a good score and don't feel you can get it, I guess you can get the "ASVAB for Dummies" book. I think there's one of them.

I didn't take mine it HS, so maybe it was easier having been through a few years of college.