PDA

View Full Version : Hard Charging Marine Excels In Desert

thedrifter
06-14-03, 07:25 AM
Cpl. Titisha S. Cochran

Hard Charging Marine Excels In Desert

By Pfc. Bronwyn M. Meyer / U.S. Army

KUWAIT — A Marine in Heavy Helicopter Squadron 462 supporting Operation Iraqi Freedom has gained the respect and admiration of her superiors and peers with her exceptional work ethic and extensive knowledge of the CH-53E Super Stallion.

Cpl. Titisha S. Cochran, HMH-462 aviation electronics technician and Atlanta native, won the Sikorsky Maintenance Award, was nominated for the Maintenance Marine of the Year, and is the first woman to be a Collateral Duty Inspector for her squadron.

Cochran works on the CH-53E Super Stallion, a heavy lifter helicopter that is used to transport supplies, ammo and military personnel.

Cochran works 11 to 12 hours a day, seven days a week, said Sgt. Joshua Dow, HMH-462 aviation electronics technician and Fairfield, Calif., native.

"She's one of the hardest workers we have in the shop," he said.

The Sikrorsky Maintenance Award is a quarterly award given out by the makers of the Super Stallion and it is the highest squadron award, said Cochran. She received this award when she was deployed in Afghanistan.

More recently Cochran was nominated for the highest maintenance award, Maintenance Marine of the Year.

"She's the one who most deserves it," said Staff Sgt. Darrell H. Springer, HMH-462 day crew work center supervisor and Lorrain, Ohio, native.

Cochran was nominated because of her attitude, knowledge and drive, said Springer.

"She can be counted on anytime she is tasked with something," said Master Sgt. Dale Marsh, HMH-462 avionics chief. "She is an outstanding Marine. She goes above and beyond."

She also takes younger Marines under her wing and teaches them everything she knows.

"She is a good instructor for junior Marines," said Dow.

As a collateral duty inspector, Cochran also inspects the maintenance that other Marines perform on the Super Stallions. She is the first woman CDI in HMH-462, said Dow. A Marine must have comprehensive knowledge of the CH-53E and have the trust of the commanding officer to be a CDI, he said.

"I wish I had 10 more like her," said Springer. "She's pretty incredible."

http://www.defendamerica.mil/images/photos/june2003/profiles/pi061303a1.jpg

Cpl. Titisha S. Cochran, Marine Heavy Helicopter squadron 462 aviation electronics technician and Atlanta native, works on a CH53-E Super Stallion. Cochran is nominated for Maintenance Marine of the Year. Defense Department photo by Pfc. Bronwyn M. Meyer, U.S. Army

Sempers,

Roger

MillRatUSMC
06-14-03, 07:32 AM
GOOD 4 HER...Need those &quot;Hard Chargers&quot;... <br />
<br />
Semper Fidelis <br />
Ricardo

wrbones
06-14-03, 02:18 PM
A collateral duty inspector is the last stop in the safety chain on most jobs done on a military aircraft. A CDI won't miss things. They make sure the job's done right. Because of the experience necessary, a CDI will be at least a Corporal in rank with several months time in grade. Those who have the experience and skills will be encouraged by their NCOIC to take the test to become a CDI. For each specialty or MOS, there are mutiple tests for the Quality Assurance department to choose from, so you have to know your job inside and out in order to have even a minimal chance to pass one of the tests. A CDI is an FAA certified position. There are only a small number of CDI 'stamps' assigned to each shop or work center ( MOS ). Used to be you had to 're-certify', or take the test every two years, if I remember right.

It's a job that doesn't allow for mistakes.

If a CDI does a job on the aircraft, another CDI, similarly certified, has to inspect it. You can't sign off on your own work. If a SNCO does a job on an aircraft and it isn't right, a Corporal with a CDI stamp can tell them to do it over and have every legal right to do so. That doesn't happen much. SNCO's are normally to busy with other matters to work on the aircraft. Normally they'll have their own CDI stamp and will sometimes inspect the work of others when another CDI isn't available.

Flight controls require a CDI stamp, a Quality Assurance inspection, and a test flight, the latter can be pretty extensive and time consuming, lasting four or more hours.

MASCOCH
05-20-09, 09:55 PM
I'm the "Hard Charging Marine" from the article...I appreciate the support...:mad:

kejhart
06-09-09, 11:11 PM
Semper Fi Marine! Keep up the good work. The Corps needs outstanding role models like yourself!:thumbup:

Wyoming
06-09-09, 11:45 PM
I'm the "Hard Charging Marine" from the article...I appreciate the support...:mad:

Really?

<LI class=profilefield_category>About MASCOCH Rank
E-1
Year Entered Marine Corps
Year Exited Marine Corps
Still in Service