PDA

View Full Version : Overtraining

Hamelink83
01-12-09, 08:46 PM
Ok, so I'm going to amp up my working out in prep for my adventure at MCRDPI starting 20090427. I'm going to be working out a lot between my workouts and pool functions (2 days a week), so I'm worried about overtraining and opening myself up for injuries coming into boot camp. Most of the time running will be done when I wake up with weight training happening in the afternoon. I wouldn't say I'm out of shape, but one of my goals for boot camp is a perfect 300 (no, I'm not thinking recon). On top of the weight training, I do pullups during the day (I suck at pullups) and pushups while at work.

If I eat right and once a month go to a "lighter" training schedule for a few days to allow my body to recover, will I be ok?

thewookie
01-12-09, 08:59 PM
I'm going to be working out a lot between my workouts

Sounds pretty intense there, be careful you don't pull your groin.

OhioGuy
01-12-09, 09:01 PM
"Nobody ever drowned in sweat."

No, you'll be fine... Just try to up your routine a little bit every week, that way your body can respond to it. For example, if in my daily routine I would do 5 sets of 15 push-ups, the next week I would go after 6 sets of 15 push-ups. I don't know how many reps/how much you can run, but if you up it little by little every week, you don't risk straining a muscle or getting injured.

Just my two-cents, and I'm sure there's a Marine on here somewhere that should be able to give you a lot better advice than me.

stags11
01-12-09, 09:06 PM
Check out over-training articles on bodybuilding.com!

Abyss
01-12-09, 09:15 PM

That hurts a lot, Sgt. I pulled mine during football and it has never been the same.

Hamelink83
01-12-09, 09:16 PM
Sgt, I will make sure that I go easy on the groin region.

Books
01-12-09, 09:58 PM
Firstly, is this a serious question?

Common sense says: Train, mostly cardio if you have the strength stuff down, to the best of your ability without running the risk of incurring injury before shipping. If you feel you are working too hard, then take it easy for a week and see if the problem subsides. Honestly, if this is challenging decision making for you, boot is going to be hell for you.

I'm going to be working out a lot between my workouts and pool functions (2 days a week)

You are going to be working out between your workouts? What does that even mean? It makes no sense.

There was a Marine who posted in a different thread criticizing modern poolees for worrying too much about nothing. This thread is what he is talking about.

Hamelink83
01-12-09, 10:15 PM
Firstly, is this a serious question?

Common sense says: Train, mostly cardio if you have the strength stuff down, to the best of your ability without running the risk of incurring injury before shipping. If you feel you are working too hard, then take it easy for a week and see if the problem subsides. Honestly, if this is challenging decision making for you, boot is going to be hell for you.

You are going to be working out between your workouts? What does that even mean? It makes no sense.

There was a Marine who posted in a different thread criticizing modern poolees for worrying too much about nothing. This thread is what he is talking about.

Yeah, it was a serious question, mainly because I have actually done it before. Came back from injury to start racing again, worked out so much that I started to have insomnia as well as other issues. Just a bit gun shy when it comes to working out more than normal now. Since I work with fat, lazy people, this was the most logical place for me to ask.

As far as the quote. I have been up since 2am this morning trying to fix an issue some dumb*** IT clown caused. What I was thinking did not come out correctly.

AllShallPerish
01-13-09, 12:02 AM
There's no weight sets in Boot. Just sayin...

Phantom Blooper
01-13-09, 04:10 AM
Just sayin...

Just sayin...READ THE STICKY RULES & FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!

"Just sayin!"

:evilgrin:<!-- / message -->

vaughn
01-13-09, 03:49 PM

LOL! :beer:

NoRemorse
01-13-09, 06:27 PM
Read the zillions of other threads and use the grip test. That means pony up, buy a grip device for training your grip (you know, you squeeze the damn thing and it has different settings).

When you can no longer close the thing on a setting you've been able to close before that's usually a sign that you're overtrained. You seem to know about your sleep cycles too and the rest of the symptoms.

Here's the deal; you can't design a program to avoid overtraining ALL the time. If you can listen to your body and differentiate good pain from bad pain you should be fine.

Basic routine? 3 weeks up, 1 week taper, 1 week test. Fluctate through all that crap and mix it up. Backing off for one workout will let you excel at the next two. One last tip for boot; instead of lifting the weight; wear the weight.

abailey
01-13-09, 06:29 PM
yes it is very possible to overtrain. especially with core body workouts, you need to give that muscle group AT LEAST one day to rest a rebuild. Also a good thing to do, if you will be working out this much, would be to drink either a good whey protein mix or muscle milk after your complete workout. Protein helps rebuild muscle, which you will need with a large amount of workout.

Running is the most dangerous part of over training. If you are not used to running avoid running further than you think you can. Pulling a muscle anywhere in your body is the last thing you want to do, it will only keep you down. Hope that helped.

Marine84
01-13-09, 06:37 PM
MAN! Some stuff just flies over heads around here like a squadron of F18's.

Makes it about hilarious to the rest of us - keep 'em coming boys.