PDA

View Full Version : Open contract....should I?

Siggs
01-07-09, 05:29 AM
Hey Guys,
Im a poolee who's ship date is 20090120. Right now I'm still under open contract and the more I read up on it the more it seems like a bad idea. Now mind you I am a green card holder so I don't get to pick a lot of jobs because lack of citizenship. But should I pick a job before boot camp? I mean when I went and saw my recruiter last there really wasn't much to choose from job wise. And I couldn't even do infantry, which apparently is going to be full for the next year or 2....so please give me some advice!!!

Box kicker 101
01-07-09, 05:48 AM
Im telling you from experience and fellow Marines. Everyone that i've came across that went open contract no one liked what they were doing. Basically where ever my fine Marine Corps wants to stick you they will and theres not many options. Dont get me wrong there's a few that actually get a chance to get a good MOS but usually you'll wind up in MOS that the rest of he country really dont want to do. If i were you try and get a MOS confirmed one mistake i wish i wouldve change prior to shipping.

1topher
01-07-09, 06:39 AM
3051 ? box kicker

how you like that 3043 cutting score,,,

were you on kinser

Box kicker 101
01-07-09, 08:06 AM
(1topher)

thats a very touchy subject i hate 43's period they pick up way too fast............but yes i was on kinser back in 04 alot of good times

Chumley
01-07-09, 09:34 AM
I went Open Contract and got lucky - sat at a desk in Hawaii for 3 years. It was good for me, but I agree with the other Marines here as I was probably the exception. Do what you can to secure a MOS you might enjoy or can benefit from. If you have limited options, you still have options, so make the best choice for you.

If I were to do it over again today, hindsight being 20/20, I personally would make a career out of the USMC, and I would suggest to anyone that is career minded to: plan on fufilling more than one MOS so as to be a well rounded Marine, choose MOS that you may excel at based upon your personal character and your strengths, always look 5-10 years into the future when considering moves - to include what you will do as a civilian after retirement or end of duty, and most importantly, always continue to plan for the worst case scenario. Your life will change and therefore so will your plans, so keep educating yourself throughout your career.

Good luck!
C

GSEMarine94
01-07-09, 09:45 AM
I also went open contract and lucked out with a great MOS. Talk with your recruiter they can usually give you a heads up of what MOS's are currently critical, this will give you an idea of what you might get, but you had better do it soon.

KawiGunny
01-07-09, 10:32 AM
Pick a job (MOS) that you would like to do for the next 20+ years. Don't look at it as a job for the next 4 yrs. Also, we (infantry) are never full. We are always undermanned and the OpTempo is always making young Marines get out so they can stay at home with "Susie". If you want infantry, tell your Recruiter thats what you want. I am sure he can make it happen.

rosary9mm
01-07-09, 01:55 PM
I signed yesterday with an open contract, but I was told I could not ship w/o an MOS. My recruiter and the CO of the office are working on getting me one soon. Luckily I have a lot of MOS' open to me. But I would definitely try and get an MOS before shipping, especially since your ship date is fast approaching.

Siggs
01-07-09, 04:23 PM
Pick a job (MOS) that you would like to do for the next 20+ years. Don't look at it as a job for the next 4 yrs. Also, we (infantry) are never full. We are always undermanned and the OpTempo is always making young Marines get out so they can stay at home with "Susie". If you want infantry, tell your Recruiter thats what you want. I am sure he can make it happen.

I would love to do infantry, but my recruiters say the only way you can get infantry in the next 2 years is if you go in as an officer.....

NicholasITALY
01-07-09, 04:27 PM
I would love to do infantry, but my recruiters say the only way you can get infantry in the next 2 years is if you go in as an officer.....
Don't sign your contract until you get the MOS you want. Tell him.

BackhausD
01-07-09, 04:40 PM

Just say that you wont sign the contract (unless you already have, then you're screwed) until you get Infantry. It's amazing how they magically appear!
That's what I did and it worked.

Qwarkeh
01-07-09, 09:12 PM
Note that you shouldn't join the Marine Corps for bonuses, a bonus is only a bonus, not the sole reason you should be joining.

If I was in your shoes I would ask what jobs are undermanned and such. Chances are that the "we need to fill this up list!!!!" will have bonuses that are LARGER than the bonus for going open contract. So not only do you get to pick which MOS you want, you'll also get some more cash out of it, too.

richerich
01-07-09, 10:11 PM
Note that you shouldn't join the Marine Corps for bonuses, a bonus is only a bonus, not the sole reason you should be joining.

'Tis true, because the Marine Corps Experience is priceless... I wouldn't trade any bonus for my time.

Siggs
01-08-09, 12:28 AM

If I was in your shoes I would ask what jobs are undermanned and such. Chances are that the "we need to fill this up list!!!!" will have bonuses that are LARGER than the bonus for going open contract. So not only do you get to pick which MOS you want, you'll also get some more cash out of it, too.

I'm not getting a bonus for going open contract, but I'm going to see my recruiter tomorrow to try and pick an MOS, hopefully I'll find out more info tomorrow, thanks for the advice! And i'll update you guys with what happens tomorrow.

Bonzack
01-08-09, 01:17 AM
I went open contract. Now I'm in 29 palms waiting to pick up for 0612 (field wireman) school.

NicholasITALY
01-08-09, 01:26 AM
I'm not getting a bonus for going open contract, but I'm going to see my recruiter tomorrow to try and pick an MOS, hopefully I'll find out more info tomorrow, thanks for the advice! And i'll update you guys with what happens tomorrow.
If you want to go infantry then tell him, like said before, that you will not sign any paper until you get the MOS that you want. Like BackhausD said, they will magically appear.

Petz
01-08-09, 01:37 AM
guys... your contract isn't final until you graduate bootcamp... you may note it defines "...upon completion of basic training...." and other such verbage... they can admin sep you in boot camp and you can't ever call yourself a Marine or get VA benefits from it.

also I'd let you know that you can walk at any time... just tell him you changed your mind (don't expect that RS to EVER put you in the Corps again after that)

short story even shorter... pick your job, and like the gunny said make it one you want for a career not a 4 year stint.... besides if you don't like it you can change it when you re-enlist (if your scores allow you to)