PDA

View Full Version : Marine from Greeley heads for tour in Iraq

thedrifter
01-03-09, 07:54 PM
Marine from Greeley heads for tour in Iraq

Chris Casey,

A 15-year Marine veteran from Greeley is headed to serve a tour in Iraq.
Arthur Ramos, a 1990 Greeley Central High School graduate, will serve about six months at the Al Asad Air Base in western Iraq.

“I would say for the most part I think the locations are starting to ease up a lot,” Ramos said of the hostilities faced by U.S. troops in Iraq. According to recent reports, U.S. troop deaths are at their lowest in the Iraq war since spring 2004.

Ramos, 36, will begin the tour, his first in Iraq, in a couple weeks. He will depart from Camp Lejeune in North Carolina.

Ramos just spent holiday leave in Greeley. He took a group of nieces and nephews to Chuck E. Cheese’s restaurant Friday afternoon, shortly before leaving for North Carolina.

“I just like to take them out every chance I get,” he said.

Ramos is a 3rd chief warrant officer in the Marines. In Iraq, he will serve as a strategic spectrum planner, managing frequencies on communications devices.

“It’s always been a childhood goal of mine (to serve in the military), and I went into the Marine Corps,” Ramos said. “I still continue to love it.”

Gloria Ramos said she can’t help but feel concern about Arthur’s safety.

“The only thing I’m doing now is trusting in God that He will bring him back safe,” she said.

Arthur Ramos and his wife have been stationed the past 18 months at Marine Corps Base Hawaii. They have two children, ages 17 and 15.

Before Hawaii, he was stationed in Washington, D.C.; Okinawa, Japan; Twenty Nine Palms, Calif.; and Camp Lejeune, N.C.

Arthur is the only one of her five children, who were raised in Greeley, to enter the military, Gloria Ramos said.

“I love my son very much, and I’m proud of what he’s doing,” she said.

Ellie