PDA

View Full Version : Father, Son-In-Law Headed to Iraq

thedrifter
01-02-09, 07:00 AM
Father, Son-In-Law Headed to Iraq

Posted: 10:46 PM Jan 1, 2009
Last Updated: 11:22 PM Jan 1, 2009

In cities and towns across Wisconsin the new year is a time to say goodbye.

"That's part of serving your country," says Kevin Johnson, a sergeant with the Wisconsin National Guard. "If it comes it comes."

Johnson will leave his home in Mondovi next week to join 3500 other soldiers with the 32nd Infantry Brigade in the largest overseas deployment of the Wisconsin National Guard since World War II.

Many are like family. Some more than others. "I guess it was kind of a fluke that we ended up in the same unit," explains Johnson, "then Nate started dating my daughter and eventually he married her."

Two weeks ago Nate Zahara became Kevin Johnson's son-in-law. "He's a good soldier," says the proud father-in-law.

Next week Sgt. Johnson and Private Zahara will start the next chapter of their lives together. "It's hard," concedes newlywed Lindsay Zahara, who will stay behind. "Obviously they're both very important in my life. At the same time I know it's what they want to do and they're doing something good that's not only good for them, but also good for the community and the country."

Support comes naturally for Lindsay - a member of the guard herself. For her father, it's a return to military service.

Johnson left the Marines in 1991, only to enlist in the National Guard a year-and-a-half ago. "These guys that are serving and gals are making two, three or more trips over to Iraq or Afghanistan and if I can help out with that I'm more than willing to. That's why I'm going to Iraq at 43."

Wisconsin's 32nd Infantry Brigade Combat Team will spend two months training in Florida and Texas before their expected 10 month deployment in Iraq. Johnson and Zahara are assigned to the same platoon, so they expect to be seeing a lot of each other.

"It's good to have that bond," says Johnson. Because of his previous military experience Sgt. Johnson out ranks his son-in-law. "Quite a bit actually," laughs Private Zahara. True both at home and abroad.

Troops are scheduled to leave for Florida on Jan. 10 for several weeks of training. Then they return to Wisconsin until mid-February, when they'll head out for more training at Fort Bliss in Texas.

After that they'll head to Iraq for a tour of duty that will last about 10 months.

Ellie