PDA

View Full Version : I know it's Wednesday but...

Osotogary
06-11-03, 05:31 PM
... it's darn near Fathers Day.
We all have one natural Father but during the course of life, for whatever circumstance or condition, we are exposed to "other Dads". These Dads teach us about life and love in so many different ways. These Dads often go unmentioned and sometimes they are forgotten. When Father's Day comes around I think not only of my natural Father but also the "other Dads" who taught me so very much. In a way this website is full of "other Dads" who so unselfishly give up their time and expertice to guide those who ask and those who need. I salute you all!
Happy Fathers Day!
To those who still remember Nash Automobiles and the serial "Don Winslow and the Coast Guard"..I say,

thedrifter
06-11-03, 07:58 PM
The Story of Father's Day

Father's Day, contrary to popular misconception, was not established as a holiday in order to help greeting card manufacturers sell more cards. In fact when a "father's day" was first proposed there were no Father's Day cards!
Mrs. John B. Dodd, of Washington, first proposed the idea of a "father's day" in 1909. Mrs. Dodd wanted a special day to honor her father, William Smart. William Smart, a Civil War veteran, was widowed when his wife (Mrs. Dodd's mother) died in childbirth with their sixth child. Mr. Smart was left to raise the newborn and his other five children by himself on a rural farm in eastern Washington state. It was after Mrs. Dodd became an adult that she realized the strength and selflessness her father had shown in raising his children as a single parent.

The first Father's Day was observed on June 19, 1910 in Spokane Washington. At about the same time in various towns and cities across American other people were beginning to celebrate a "father's day." In 1924 President Calvin Coolidge supported the idea of a national Father's Day. Finally in 1966 President Lyndon Johnson signed a presidential proclamation declaring the 3rd Sunday of June as Father's Day.

Father's Day has become a day to not only honor your father, but all men who act as a father figure. Stepfathers, uncles, grandfathers, and adult male friends are all be honored on Father's Day.

What fatherly sayings had the biggest influence on your life?

Remember these timely classics...

Were you raised in a barn? Close the door.

I’ll tell you why. Because I said so. That’s why.

No, we’re not there yet.

Coffee will stunt your growth.

"That is the thankless position of the father in the family-the provider for all, and the enemy of all." -- J. August Strindberg

"It is a wise father that knows his own child." -- William Shakespeare

"It doesn't matter who my father was; it matters who I remember he was." -- Anne Sexton

"I cannot think of any need in childhood as strong as the need for a father's protection." -- Sigmund Freud

Father

What Makes a Dad

God took the strength of a mountain,
The majesty of a tree,
The warmth of a summer sun,
The calm of a quiet sea,
The generous soul of nature,
The comforting arm of night,
The wisdom of the ages,
The power of the eagle's flight,
The joy of a morning in spring,
The faith of a mustard seed,