PDA

View Full Version : Why Should I?

Dwn4TheCause
12-23-08, 06:15 PM
I have had a feeling that i wanted to join the marines. My cousin went in and he was psyched about it. Anyone have any good reasons why i shouldn't? Any stories? I just want info to help back me up when i tell my parents.

Marine84
12-23-08, 06:57 PM
why shouldn't you?

Enigmatic
12-23-08, 07:14 PM
You have a feeling you should join the Marines, but you don't know why you should? And you want us to tell you why you should? Huh????

SGT7477
12-23-08, 07:36 PM
Get your arse to MCRD and man up for the picnic.

JohnEaceHunt
12-23-08, 08:15 PM
Simple. The Marine Corps gives you the training, and expertise, and DRIVE, to stay the Hell alive. Its proven before, One Marine takes the place of 10 Soldiers, irregardless of WHAT may be said by anyone. I've been stationed, and pulled duty with Both, and I know for a fact. No debate by anyone with me, as the Subject is closed as far as I am concerned.

jeremybug2
12-23-08, 08:17 PM
Go with it. I'm not a Marine and I still know you won't regret it.

vaughn
12-23-08, 08:25 PM
If you've had a "feeling" about wanting to be a Marine, then go with it.

But, there ain't anyone on here that can make that decision for you... So man up.

jeremybug2
12-23-08, 08:27 PM
What he said.

SgtHMH
12-23-08, 09:11 PM
There is only one person that can make that choise and that is you. You are the one that will have to push your self to pass everything in Boot, nobody else will do it for you. Nobody did it for any other Marine, we had to do it for our selfs and earn it every step of the way. You have to want to earn it and have it, because that is what it takes. No Marine in the Fleet wants some non hacker next to him, every Marine wants a Marine next to him that is hard threw and threw and it does not matter what MOS. So don't ask "Why should I" because when the time comes you will ask the same question when it counts in a life and death question. Get the picture.

Semper Fi Do or Die

SlingerDun
12-23-08, 09:27 PM
Anyone have any good reasons why i shouldn't?Sure, Marines and recruits wake up entirely to early dude! often way before the buttcrack of dawn and it don't matter if you were standing down or on watch or humping into a moonless night and what time you finally got to sleep, your ass wil be up and moving! How's that?

polizei
12-23-08, 09:42 PM
Now, I'm just a poolee, so take this with a grain of salt. I would recommend learning some Marine Corps knowledge and history. If you do not know much about the Corps, start researching now everything you can.

If I may suggest:

Read Shooter by GySgt. Jack Coughlin and Cap. Casey Kuhlman
Read Making the Corps by Thomas Ricks
Read From Baghdad, With Love by Lt. Col. Jay Kopelman
Read From Baghdad, to America by Lt. Col. Jay Kopelman
Read various Wikipedia/google/yahoo search information
Read Michael Yon stories (link in my signature)
Read http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marinejoin/a/marinebasic.htm
Read http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59314&highlight=guide
Watch http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=c5d_1217188288
Watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lcddak-c1YY

And watch/read anything else retaining to the Marine Corps. Using all this information, you should be able to come up with a basic sense of what the Marine Corps is, the values, and what it stands for - from a civilian perspective. Upon doing all this, you should hopefully be able to make a more informed decision. Please, for the love of god, PLEASE make an informed decision and know what you are doing and getting yourself potentially into.

mltryman
12-24-08, 01:35 AM
dude you even want to or you don't... there is no convincing someone to become a Marine.. tell your parents it is what you want to do and do it.. if you don't have enough testoterone to do that than don't sign up.

egbutler1
12-24-08, 04:18 AM
I have had a feeling that i wanted to join the marines. My cousin went in and he was psyched about it. Anyone have any good reasons why i shouldn't? Any stories? I just want info to help back me up when i tell my parents.
I sure as hell can not tell you why you should join. If you want to than do it man the f&ck up. Just don't be a sh!t bag if you find out you don't like it, that'll get your ass f-ed up in the fleet.

egbutler1
12-24-08, 04:20 AM
"If I may suggest:

Read From Baghdad, to America by Lt. Col. Jay Kopelman"

Outstanding reading meterial, have read them all but you left out the most important one of all. I would also suggest reading the best damn book ever created "GUNS UP". You won't be able to put it down.

sparkie
12-24-08, 06:27 AM
Hell yes, Join the Marines if it's crossed your mind, 'cause if you don't you will forever wonder and regret,

Now from an old salt's perspective,,,, The Marines have the best Brainwashing Technique ever practiced and perfected. And most young folks now a days need a good brainwashing. To be mentally reorganized and polished like that will last you the rest of your life.
Choose the High Road, Son. You won't regret it.

Now, one reason for not joining,,,,,,, If you wish to keep the dirty little existance you currently own, don't Join My Marine Corps.

NoRemorse
12-24-08, 07:43 AM
Why should we tell you? If you were to surf around sites like this that are filled the brim with Esprit De Corps you'd see what the brotherhood is all about. You'd learn the jargon, you'd feel the emotion, you'd be immersed in the mystique that is to be a United States Marine.

Why should we tell you when you can search on your own? Why should we do the work for you when you haven't done the work for yourself? We are: PERSERVERANCE. In the face of the most brutal enemy; the neediest child; and all those faces of humanity in between; We, the United States Marine Corps are immortal.

The question isn't why should you? The question is: why should you be given the chance? Why indeed, when you must go forth and take it. Our standards are high; our training is rigorous; our morale is incomparable; our prowess is without equal.

It is for YOU to demonstrate why we should help you stay the course and earn the title.

polizei
12-24-08, 12:35 PM
"If I may suggest:

Read From Baghdad, to America by Lt. Col. Jay Kopelman"

Outstanding reading meterial, have read them all but you left out the most important one of all. I would also suggest reading the best damn book ever created "GUNS UP". You won't be able to put it down.

Thanks Cpl., I'll have to check it out! I haven't heard of that book before.

BR34
12-24-08, 12:54 PM
Sure, Marines and recruits wake up entirely to early dude!

I woke up at 0700 today! Snow day, haha!!!

JoeInVille
12-24-08, 02:50 PM
Just remember before you sign the contract, it is going to SUCK ASS WORSE THAN ANYTHING ON THE PLANET sometimes, but it is also going to be a great experience that will be worthwhile. You could go to college like every swinging dick and be another average Joe or you could do something that not many men are man enough to do.

chrizzle17
12-25-08, 11:44 PM
I am glad to find someone else who has read Gun's Up. It is an amazing story of courage and redemption. I must have read it seven times. It has played a part in my desire to join the Corps, even if a small one.

oifvet23
12-26-08, 11:54 AM

I know one reason why you shouldn't, You sound like a little girl, and I wouldn't want a little girl sitting next to me in a foxhole. You need info huh? so now want someone else to do your work for you and give you the answer's. I don't want someone who cant pull there own weight either. So there is two and thats enough for me. So try to find some marbles and put them in the empty place where your nuts should be.

joecoul89
12-26-08, 03:11 PM
Dwn4the cause....i walked into a recruiters office and told him to tell me why i should join, just like you just asked... he told me "thats not my job. I will tell you what we have for you, you decide if it's what you want." so ask questions that you don't know, but don't ask anyone to tell you why or why not you shouldn't join...you need to decide for yourself.

btw, why would you ask a bunch of Marines why you shouldn't join?