PDA

View Full Version : What's the rule for College Credits?

futuremarine129
12-17-08, 03:07 PM
I'm a jr. in high school, and as of this spring, my school has a new program where a few local colleges are offering night courses that count as both college credits, and credits for me to graduate high school with. In order for me to take the night courses, I will drop an easy class like film study, where you only watch movies, and take a college leveled class. Now my question is, since I am joining the Marines after high school, is there any way these college credits count towards the Marine Corps?

NoRemorse
12-17-08, 03:18 PM
Make sure the program and the colleges that participate in it are regionally accredited. If they are then you can take those credits to other colleges with you. I remember having AP classes in High School that worked like that.

What are you looking for those credits to count towards in the Corps?

futuremarine129
12-17-08, 03:25 PM
I'm mainly looking for the credits to count towards getting me PFC faster. I just googled it and I read it was 15 college credits for PFC.

NoRemorse
12-17-08, 03:38 PM
If you say so. There's ONE incentive to go to boot and it ain't contract PFC or any other trash like that. It's getting that EGA.

futuremarine129
12-17-08, 08:25 PM
Sir, that IS my incentive! There is nothing I want more in this world than to claim the title. I was just wondering that, If by taking a college leveled course, would it give me enough credits to get PFC. I'm not going in for promotions, or money, I'm going in to be a Marine.

blackshirts
12-17-08, 09:24 PM
Sir, that IS my incentive! There is nothing I want more in this world than to claim the title. I was just wondering that, If by taking a college leveled course, would it give me enough credits to get PFC. I'm not going in for promotions, or money, I'm going in to be a Marine.
Absolutely nothing wrong with wanting all the money you can get.

NoRemorse
12-17-08, 09:29 PM
That's why nearly all the bonuses are for reenlistments.

You need 15 credits and then you need it in your contract. If it ain't there, you ain't getting it. If you're not reading your contract you don't rate PFC out of boot anyway.

Regardless, you'll be a boot until such a time as you're not, regardless of whether or not you've made L/CPL for time in.

GMill09
12-17-08, 09:54 PM
I have a question. I already enlisted and I'll have 15 college credits at the end of the next semester. Since I already signed my contract at MEPS am I'm screwed on getting pfc through college credits?

NoRemorse
12-17-08, 10:02 PM
I have a question. I already enlisted and I'll have 15 college credits at the end of the next semester. Since I already signed my contract at MEPS am I'm screwed on getting pfc through college credits?

Speak with your recruiter; you should have brought that up a long time ago if you were really gunning for it.

GMill09
12-17-08, 10:07 PM
Speak with your recruiter; you should have brought that up a long time ago if you were really gunning for it.

I didn't find out about the college credit thing until about a week ago. As soon as I found out I jumped into a college course right in time. My recruiter didn't think I'd have any college credits because I'm a senior in high school so that promotion through college credits was never brought up. I told him I'd have 15 by May and he'd said it'd work. Now that I think about it. People who get two referrals get a promotion to pfc and that is after they sign their contract. Wouldn't this kind of be the same? Oh well, I'll talk to my recruiter about it tomorrow.

NoRemorse
12-17-08, 10:09 PM
I didn't find out about the college credit thing until about a week ago. As soon as I found out I jumped into a college course right in time. My recruiter didn't think I'd have any college credits because I'm a senior in high school so that promotion through college credits was never brought up. I told him I'd have 15 by May and he'd said it'd work. Now that I think about it. People who get two referrals get a promotion to pfc and that is after they sign their contract. Wouldn't this kind of be the same? Oh well, I'll talk to my recruiter about it tomorrow.

I'm inclined to believe that if it ain't in your contract, it ain't happening. Confer with the recruiters who frequent the board here if they have time.

CplGiraffe
12-17-08, 10:20 PM
I'm not for sure, but I believe if you finish your classes for 15 credits, and they are all acceptable by Marine Corps standard, then as long as you have not gone to boot camp you should be able to get your PFC, as long as you also have time for your recruiters to work it out. I say this because I believe it is similar to the "2 friends = PFC" program, which is not in your contract right when you sign. However, either way PFC is correct, you must have it in your contract before you leave, but you should still be able to get it added in.

Enigmatic
12-17-08, 10:25 PM
Forget the college credits, give the Corps two more killers, then you can get your PFC. Thats what I did. Was a PFC the second I graduated boot camp.

NoRemorse
12-17-08, 10:27 PM
Forget the college credits, give the Corps two more killers, then you can get your PFC. Thats what I did. Was a PFC the second I graduated boot camp.

Crap; I tried to do it the old fashioned way:

Thunderdome

Death match baby, get some!

shirty1
12-21-08, 04:39 PM
You have to have 15 credits to get into the Marines without a high school diploma. This does not mean you are going in as a PFC...nope you have to have a additional 15 credits to get the rank..

dizark
12-21-08, 05:06 PM
Contract PFC is in my contract. The liason at MEPS even pointed it out just to be certain I understood the contract. Like the Marines have said, if it isn't in the contract, you're not getting it.

futuremarine129
12-21-08, 05:07 PM
You have to have 15 credits to get into the Marines without a high school diploma. This does not mean you are going in as a PFC...nope you have to have a additional 15 credits to get the rank..

So are you saying 30 total credits?

dizark
12-21-08, 05:16 PM
To get in with a GED, the Marines usually require 15 college credits as well. He is stating that this does not get you contract PFC as it was a requirement to enlist with a GED.

I'm not familiar with it, but he also said if you wanted contract PFC with a GED, you'd have to earn another 15 credits, so yes, 30 total. If you have a high school diploma, you only need 15, or 2 referrals.

DBlair
12-21-08, 05:23 PM
If you'll have 15 college credits (a semester of undergrad) by the time you graduate high school, I'm guessing you may be interested in eventually getting your degree. As such, have you ever thought about the Officer programs such as NROTC (Marine option, of course) or PLC?

shirty1
12-21-08, 07:28 PM

Yes

futuremarine129
12-21-08, 09:10 PM
If you'll have 15 college credits (a semester of undergrad) by the time you graduate high school, I'm guessing you may be interested in eventually getting your degree. As such, have you ever thought about the Officer programs such as NROTC (Marine option, of course) or PLC?

Actually not interested in college at all at this moment in my life. I'm a junior in high school and my grades are alright, all my friends and classmates are talking about college, but I'm just interested in the Marines, and whatever will help me in my career as a Marine, which in this case would be getting 15 college credits by the time I graduate high school to get a contract PFC.

CplGiraffe
12-21-08, 09:49 PM
I think that there is a little confusion in this thread between people. I assume, because I read your first post, that you intend on graduating high school. If this is the case, you need ONLY 15 college credits to contract as PFC.

If this is NOT the case, then yes, you would need more because it takes 15 to get in with a GED (not a high school diploma).

Twitchell
12-21-08, 10:04 PM
I finished my High School credits through an (accredited) Community College + some, so I could enlist when I was seventeen. I did'nt even ask about the PFC or bonuses cause I had no Idea I could get them. I just went in and asked for active 0300.
I ended up getting PFC out of Boot Camp by bustin my *** anyway. Just shoot for the same thing. Your allot more proud of your stripe that way anyway!

echo3oscar1833
12-21-08, 11:04 PM
Honestly let the kid be, guys he is just wondering if he can get a promotion by getting a couple of college credits. Two he is in my opinion working to better himself, by doing some college which I see no harm in. In a way he is showing dedication to himself, and the Corps by working to get promoted which will mean a quicker promotion to Lance Corporal in the future and so on. Also this is something that can help him in the future if he decides to go officer. Yes it is important for him to concentrate on earning the Title just as much, but in the end what is the harm in looking at the big picture after all it is his career, and promotions in the Corps not yours. Plus whats wrong with making some extra $$:cool:

DBlair
12-22-08, 03:46 AM
Actually not interested in college at all at this moment in my life. I'm a junior in high school and my grades are alright, all my friends and classmates are talking about college, but I'm just interested in the Marines, and whatever will help me in my career as a Marine, which in this case would be getting 15 college credits by the time I graduate high school to get a contract PFC.

Not at all trying to distract you from enlisting (my father was an old-Corps wartime GySgt and so I understand the importance of good NCOs/SNCOs), but if you go NROTC or PLC you could have both the Marine Corps and College. College could potentially be free, and you would attend Officer training during the year or over the Summer break (depending on which option you choose) and upon graduation be commissioned as an Officer. Just a thought...

DBlair
12-22-08, 04:14 AM
Honestly let the kid be, guys he is just wondering if he can get a promotion by getting a couple of college credits. Two he is in my opinion working to better himself, by doing some college which I see no harm in. In a way he is showing dedication to himself, and the Corps by working to get promoted which will mean a quicker promotion to Lance Corporal in the future and so on. Also this is something that can help him in the future if he decides to go officer. Yes it is important for him to concentrate on earning the Title just as much, but in the end what is the harm in looking at the big picture after all it is his career, and promotions in the Corps not yours. Plus whats wrong with making some extra $$:cool:

I agree. While I have not yet rated the Title, I admire that he is so motivated and see no harm in his question. I myself have come up with worse questions and I admire his dedication to the Corps as well as his willingness to take college courses while in high school- as both are truly commendable.

My comments are meant twofold, both to commend him on his desire to join the MC, but also to advise him to keep his options open and consider all possibilities. If I knew then what I know now, I would have been able to join the MC as an Officer years ago. As such, the opportunity to take college courses while in high school is a great opportunity that must be cherished. Whichever path he chooses, I commend him for having such dedication to the Corps.

futuremarine129
12-22-08, 10:13 AM
Thanks to both echo and Dblair, my question was answered and I am happy you can both see where I'm coming from. Thank you all for being so prompt and helpful.

BR34
12-22-08, 11:42 AM

Good job giving these poolees bad intel.

I have exactly 15 college credits, and a GED. I was also a contract PFC. How do you explain that?

Who's been giving you bad scoop?

No. The credits aren't like money. You can't spend them all in one place. You can buy more than one thing with your 15 credits--in this case, you can buy Tier I status and Contract PFC.

RugbyFly10
12-22-08, 01:47 PM
Keep in mind, its not just 15 credits. you have to have a 2.2 gpa with them, and if you have 30 credits you have to have a 2.1, and 40 you have to have at least a 2.0... just a heads up. so if u make d's in all of your classes you wont get the gpa and thus wont get pfc

rosary9mm
12-22-08, 07:26 PM
I spoke with my recruiter just last week, he said all you need is 12 college credits, if you already have a diploma or GED, and with those credits have a 2.0 GPA or above.