PDA

View Full Version : Future Drill Instructors

yellowwing
12-16-08, 05:34 PM
We get all kinds of new Poolees wanting to be Grunts, dog handlers and such. In six years and a thousand Poolees, I have yet to see one with a burning desire to be a Drill Instructor.

Rains
12-16-08, 05:38 PM
I have thought of that... my parents seem to think I would make a good Drill Instructor... But I'll earn the Title Marine first, then see if I want to be one.

NoRemorse
12-16-08, 05:44 PM
We get all kinds of new Poolees wanting to be Grunts, dog handlers and such. In six years and a thousand Poolees, I have yet to see one with a burning desire to be a Drill Instructor.

Can you blame them? It's one of the hardest and fulfilling jobs in the Corps.

Poolee Snell
12-16-08, 07:03 PM
A lot is probably because you have to make (correct me if I'm wrong) GySgt before you could fulfill DI?
I will definitely keep DI in mind if I become a Marine!
In my experience so far with the Marine Corps. I want to be a Marine recruiter for a future MOS.
Whatever I do I want to be a MARINE first.

dizark
12-16-08, 07:45 PM
Poolee Snell,

Have you never seen a picture or video of a Drill Instructor? If not, you'll realize they are wearing the ranks of Sgt, SSgt, or Gunnery Sgt on their sleeves. So I don't believe your Gunnery Sgt theory is the best. :p

Phantom Blooper
12-16-08, 07:53 PM
Marines ages 22 to 37 with the rank of sergeant through gunnery sergeant can request Drill Instructor Duty. Corporals may be considered if they will be promoted prior to graduation from Drill Instructor School.:evilgrin:

Gaz
12-16-08, 07:55 PM
Corporal. Though he's not on this forum, my best friend talks about being a DI every day. He's already planning on graduating early just so he could get into the Marines and become a DI faster.

NoRemorse
12-16-08, 07:57 PM
A lot is probably because you have to make (correct me if I'm wrong) GySgt before you could fulfill DI?
I will definitely keep DI in mind if I become a Marine!
In my experience so far with the Marine Corps. I want to be a Marine recruiter for a future MOS.
Whatever I do I want to be a MARINE first.

You have to be an NCO. You can be a corporal and go to DI school if you're high speed and about to make sergeant.

Recruiting is also a hard job. Your last sentence is good to go. Get some!

Ruby
12-16-08, 08:10 PM
I met one of the DIs that I'll have at Parris Island at one of my poolee functions, and I want to be just like her some day. She's scary as mess, and has a stare that can freeze your soul, but she said that being a DI was one of the most rewarding jobs in the Marine Corps, and I've heard the same from many others. I went to PI when I was 14, and saw plenty of them, and I don't think that there's anybody on earth like a Marine DI. I used to dream about making Marines when I was little, and as soon as I get to the point where I'm able, I've got every intention to try and become one of those amazing people that make that happen.

SgtHMH
12-16-08, 08:29 PM
Well first they have to earn the Title Marine, then earn their Chevrons time and grade and be a NCO, also earn the Blood Stripe. Which this comes at the rank of Cpl and the NCO step. This takes a couple of years to get to this. As we all know DIs are Sergeants and above and most don't get to this rank on their first enlistment. It is hard for most to think about the Drill Field until it comes.

codeman92190
12-16-08, 09:23 PM
Actually yellowwing, it's been my dream to be a DI as long as I've wanted to be a Marine. One of the biggest reasons I joined the Marine Corps was their extreme level of disipline, and a DI is pretty much the epitome of that...

I guess people just don't talk about it (myself included) because it's so far down the road... it'd be like telling everyone you want to be a college proffessor before you even got to college...

yellowwing
12-16-08, 09:30 PM
I want to be a Drill Instructor
I want to shave off all my hair

Achped
12-16-08, 09:44 PM
Mark my words, if I pick up Sgt in the next 2 and a half years, I will be at drill or recruiting school.

God, hazing little idiot recruits for 3 years? What more could an NCO ask for?

jeremybug2
12-16-08, 10:25 PM
How many current Drill Instructors do we have on leatherneck? And who are they?

Capital M
12-16-08, 11:00 PM
Corporal, I presume that all Poolees view Drill Instructors as the enemy, per-se, at this moment in time. Everybody joining the Marines wants to be the bad-a** recon Marines that are in all of the movies, and fear the constant yelling they are about to experience over the next 13 weeks. In order to want to be something, one must have respect for the people who do that job, and right now ( a general time, before boot camp), most Poolees and wannabes (including myself) are scared S**tless of their future DIs. Don't get me wrong, we all have respect for them, it's just a different kind of respect, a respect driven by fear. I'm sure all Marines know the feeling.
Just a wanna-be's two cents, Very interesting topic and observation

NoRemorse
12-16-08, 11:03 PM
Mark my words, if I pick up Sgt in the next 2 and a half years, I will be at drill or recruiting school.

Corporal, you may have just discovered the meaning of life.

Enigmatic
12-16-08, 11:18 PM

LOL, Achped, at the rate you're going, you'll be a SSgt in 2 and a half years.....Not that I'm hating. Do your thing bro, I don't be sitting on that hateraid....:D

Achped
12-16-08, 11:28 PM
Well theoretically I could pick up Sgt next Oct? or Nov? And then usually you can be in the zone for my MOS for SSgt 2 years after that. So by my 5th year I could be a SSgt, that means Gunny by my 2nd re enlistment and I'd only be 26! That's like the 31 year old 1st Sgt we have in our Bn.

Hmmm, but yeah, no lifer here. lol

NoRemorse
12-16-08, 11:32 PM
Well theoretically I could pick up Sgt next Oct? or Nov? And then usually you can be in the zone for my MOS for SSgt 2 years after that. So by my 5th year I could be a SSgt, that means Gunny by my 2nd re enlistment.

High speed much?

Outstanding!

CBRN5711Tech
12-17-08, 12:18 AM
Well theoretically I could pick up Sgt next Oct? or Nov? And then usually you can be in the zone for my MOS for SSgt 2 years after that. So by my 5th year I could be a SSgt, that means Gunny by my 2nd re enlistment and I'd only be 26! That's like the 31 year old 1st Sgt we have in our Bn.

Don't lie to yourself. Once you reenlist you'll never get out

echo3oscar1833
12-17-08, 12:24 AM

Damn 31 year old 1st Sgt now thats moving along in the ranks for sure.:marine: either he is damn good, or has rubbed shoulders with some major brass, or both.

Rowe907
12-17-08, 09:48 AM
Lets see... Drill Instructors barely ever see their family. %90 divorce rate. No sleep..... But they make Marines. :evilgrin:

MotivatorOfTheGuard
12-17-08, 10:51 PM
My dearest friend, have you forgotten about me?

"Is It In Your Pocket?.....MY F****** GREETING!!!"

GMill09
12-17-08, 11:05 PM

I have a burning desire to be a D.I. It's getting kind of ahead of myself though. Need to make it past boot camp first lol.

Aitrus
12-17-08, 11:13 PM
Sir- I believe becoming a DI would be an incredible opportunity, for anyone who has what it takes. Unfortunately, as I'm hoping to go through PLC to get an Officers commission, obviously becoming a D.I. isn't an option for me.

If I were to go in enlisted, I would love to see if I have what it takes to become one. At least, I think I would. I'm sure any Marine would tell me that I should earn the title first, then decide in the future if I would want to become something like a D.I. or some other specialized role. Correct me if I'm wrong.

-Aitrus

futurepoole08
12-17-08, 11:50 PM
Corporal Yellowwing, Sir it's been a dream of mine. Right now, getting in DEP, having the chance to get on the Van ( our MEPs goes on a van lol), standing on the yellow footprints, getting my a$$ chewed out, told I am lowest form of chit on the earth, being broken down, and built up again and earning the Title, and walking across the parade deck is what is on my mind. After that, I'll do the best I can in the Fleet. And THAN if I get the chance to go to Drill Instructor School, and the chance to become a Drill Instructor, than I'll be finishing another dream of mine.

bgsuwoody
12-18-08, 02:32 AM
Yeah, I really would rather teach at SOI...there is some real good that can be done in this school especially with the right NCO's with the right attitude and experience...Achped, mark my words...expect to see me teaching the future of the grunt Corps soon enough...maybe after another deployment though lol.

0231Marine
12-18-08, 06:48 AM
90% divorce rate...

I'd like to see where you got this information from because I don't think it's that high.

0231Marine
12-18-08, 06:50 AM

It happens on occasion if you have your chit wired tight. We had a Gunny who was 28 and a Master Sgt who was 33...that's the fastest I've ever seen but I've heard of 23 year old SSgts who usually have meritorious promotions to Cpl and Sgt.

Pete0331
12-18-08, 07:21 AM
Corporals may be considered if they will be promoted prior to graduation from Drill Instructor School.:evilgrin:

To clarify:
Corporals may attend if they are 100 points or less away from picking up Sgt, as completion of Drill Instructor School will give you that many points.
Given that the other regiments are also met for promotion.

BR34
12-18-08, 08:15 AM
Wait, you get points for completing DI school? How? Is it considered off duty education or something? Or does it just make your Pro/Cons go through the roof?

Pete0331
12-18-08, 08:27 AM
Wait, you get points for completing DI school? How? Is it considered off duty education or something? Or does it just make your Pro/Cons go through the roof?

B-billet, akin to MSG and recruiting duty. Where you would also receive points to your cutting score upon completion of schooling.

rvillac2
12-18-08, 09:00 AM
Damn 31 year old 1st Sgt now thats moving along in the ranks for sure.:marine: either he is damn good, or has rubbed shoulders with some major brass, or both.
He's rubbin something for sure.

NoRemorse
12-18-08, 09:14 AM
He's rubbin something for sure.

New MarAdmin regulations call for all shiny things to be worn on the thighs and polished daily.

Drill for life
12-18-08, 05:50 PM
I would love to be a Drill Instructor and maybe a Recruiter also.

BR34
12-18-08, 06:36 PM
B-billet, akin to MSG and recruiting duty. Where you would also receive points to your cutting score upon completion of schooling.

Really? Any idea of how many points are added to your score after completing D.I. School?

NoRemorse
12-18-08, 08:21 PM
Really? Any idea of how many points are added to your score after completing D.I. School?

I believe it's 100 points.

Yep, just checked out about.com and it's 100 points.

Fubar5812
12-18-08, 10:52 PM

*falls out of chair laughing

god who would WANT to be a recruiter? most of the Marines that get it get voluntold to do it. you make 1000's of phone calls,fill out millions of forms and paperwork work on your off time,get no leave only to get maybe 3 kids in each month out of 30 or 40 applicants.dealing with rejection everyday all day takes it's toll,the recruiter i worked with on ptad is absolutely miserable and he has only been a recruiter for 5 months.its a 3 year commitment!

I wanted to be a D.I....until i got to parris island.that job freakin sucks! you get NO time off,you spend all your time with kids who you swear can't tell left from right and you destroy your vocal cords and have to have the worst personality for 18 hours a day. you only have 13 weeks to turn these retards into a Marine that you have to depend on to watch your back,and not all of them come out squared away,a few always slip through the cracks that are total ****bags and how would it make you feel knowing the product you put out could've been so much better..if you had more time.

Echo_Four_Bravo
12-18-08, 11:23 PM
Achped, I don't know what your MOS is- but I know I wish I would have had it. Promotions that fast is something we could only dream about. We had good Marines leaving as LCpls on a regular basis (not the typical 4 year LCpl you think about).

As for being a DI, the thought never crossed my mind until I was at MCRD. At that point, I'd have given anything to be a DI. If life's circumstances had been different I would have reenlisted just to get to the drill field.

Phantom Blooper
12-19-08, 08:27 PM
Originally Posted by Drill for life

One of the other requirements to be a drill instructor besides the ones mentioned are that you can only have the required amount of holes in your body....the only exception being healed bayonet,knife and gunnery fire!

So as of now you are SOL!:evilgrin:

Achped
12-19-08, 09:33 PM
Achped, I don't know what your MOS is- but I know I wish I would have had it. Promotions that fast is something we could only dream about. We had good Marines leaving as LCpls on a regular basis (not the typical 4 year LCpl you think about).

As for being a DI, the thought never crossed my mind until I was at MCRD. At that point, I'd have given anything to be a DI. If life's circumstances had been different I would have reenlisted just to get to the drill field.

Yeah some are still liek that, Comm isn't though, the cutting scores for radio operators even for sgt is lower than mine.

MUSTANG0369
12-20-08, 08:45 AM
Former Drill Instructor here......as far as the time in grade sub-conversation that is going on here, I bet I know the 1stSgt that you are speaking of at 31.....especially if you are at Hawaii with 3rd Marines, cant remember the battalion, but we were in the same company on the drill field and he **** hot. I think that he made 1st Sgt at 14 years if not mistaken.

Be patient, you need a good knowledge base of the Marine Corps before you go to DI School. I went as a 5 year Sgt, and still felt intimidated by the experience at the school. I was in school with 16 year SNCO's. You simply do not know as much as they do. Be patient and apply. Get your foot in the door, and be prepared for what you asked for.

As far as quickly promoting, it is right place right time. I was a Gunny at 28, Not too shabby, but I did have two merit promotions, LCPL, and SSgt, both from MCRD.

Old Marine
12-20-08, 10:19 AM
I was a D.I./Series Gysgt. from 1966-1973. If you really enjoy going through Boot Camp, be prepared to go through it again at D.I. School.

From what I have seen and have been reading things have really changed a lot at both the Depots. Used to be tht when you reported for work at the beginning of the day, you took off your chevrons and at the end of the day you picked up what was left.

All kidding aside, being a D.I. is the most rewarding job that any Marine could have. Some of the things that happen, you say you have seen it all and all of a sudden it jumps up and bites you. Recruits can do things that you would never think was possible. At the end of the day its very easy to sit down, have a beer and laugh like hell.

I must tell you, all Marines are not cut out to be D.I.'s. It takes a special Marine to daily go through the rigors of training recruits to be basic Marines.

If you think you can hack it, then by all means put in for it.

Patriot34
12-20-08, 12:06 PM
I just want to graduate and take it from there.

Echo_Four_Bravo
12-20-08, 12:16 PM
Radio operator scores were low when I was in as well. It was disgusting to watch boots that held our secondary MOS as their primary getting promoted to Sgt faster than our Marines could get to Cpl. Everyone complained that since they had that MOS as well, they should have been able to get promoted with that score.

I'm off subject though- so I'll back up and say that I don't think there is a Marine alive that WANTS recruiting duty unless you just really want to get back home for some reason. (Sick family, etc.) It is the worst job in the Corps... without question.

Rowe907
12-20-08, 02:55 PM
I'd like to see where you got this information from because I don't think it's that high.

Chaplain....??????

NoRemorse
12-20-08, 06:32 PM
I just want to graduate and take it from there.

About the smartest comment I've seen from a poolee :thumbup: