PDA

View Full Version : When to ask

fox223
12-10-08, 09:52 PM
I talked with my recruiter over the phone for the first time today. I'm going in tomorrow to take a practice ASVAB and just to sit down and answer a couple questions, and ask some as well. Looking forward to it.
In the future, I plan on going to pharmacy school, and right now I'm taking care of the pre-requisites. I have about two or three semesters of pre-req stuff to take care of, then four years of pharmacy school. Sounds fun right? Anyway, for that reason, I'm really interested in the reserves. The reserve units here in Utah are all Infantry, which is good for me 'cause that's what I want to get into. :thumbup:
I'm not sure how to go about asking this, and in a way, almost feel ashamed for it so let me make myself as clear as possible before I say anything else. I do not want to join the Marines for any enlistment bonus, benefits, or any "perks". I want to join to earn the title United States Marine, and be a part of the most elite brotherhood on the face of the Earth. Nothing more. However, with increasing tution costs, and a looming $40,000 bill for pharmacy school, I was curious to see what was available in the way of financial assistance. I looked into it, and last year there was a list of reserve MOS's that qualified for a $10,000 enlistment bonus. 0311 was on the list.
Now for my questions. When would be a good time to ask my recruiter about any enlistment bonuses available? Are they automatic if you sign on for a certain MOS, or do you have to apply? If you have not recieved a bonus when you sign your contract, are you outta luck, or do you have until you ship to qualify?
I don't want to give the wrong impression by coming on too strong about a bonus. Frankly, I don't really care if I get a bonus or not. If I wanted a bonus, I'd join the Army. But, if I do qualify for it and it would help me with school (a lot) in the long run... I don't want to wait and not say anything and miss out on the oppertunity.
Sorry this is so long. I haven't posted much on here and wanted to give a little background. Thanks for all the help.

Books
12-10-08, 09:57 PM
No shame in asking about bonuses... Can the Army give you better? Probably, but you seem like you're willing to take a monetary hit so you can earn the title Marine, which is your first priority. A red flag would go up if it were the reverse.

So long as you're honest with yourself about your reasons for enlisting, you should be fine. Don't be ashamed to ask anything. You're way ahead of the other filthy civilians who don't even consider military service.

MarinesFTW
12-10-08, 09:58 PM
Ask right away I dont see why you would want to know its better to know your answer right away and for the other info im a ***** scratchy on the details sorry, and to get your bonus you need to make it thru boot camp first.

Mindgame
12-10-08, 11:29 PM
and to get your bonus you need to make it thru boot camp first.

You also have to make it through MOS school without getting an NJP or page 11... Not really sure, but I THINK a page 11 disqualifies you.

You have to ask, its not automatic.Then they submit the paperwork, and see if you qualify. Don't be ashamed, if your entitled to it, then take it.

Echo_Four_Bravo
12-11-08, 12:27 AM
You will have to complete boot camp and MOS school. I've never heard of a bonus getting rejected because of an NJP or page 11, but they could write a contract to include that. (Much more likely for the NJP than a page 11, those are pretty subjective and many page 11 entries are actually good things!)

Ask about it up front. There is nothing to be ashamed of. Many Marines get the bonus money, and if someone is going to get it, it may as well be you.

Hologram
12-11-08, 12:49 AM
So long as you're honest with yourself about your reasons for enlisting, you should be fine. Don't be ashamed to ask anything. You're way ahead of the other filthy civilians who don't even consider military service.
Watch it with the smack talk. Yeah, you've taken a step most won't even consider, but don't think for one second that just because you signed a piece of paper you're qualified to call other people nasty.

martinj
12-11-08, 01:39 PM
I looked into it, and last year there was a list of reserve MOS's that qualified for a $10,000 enlistment bonus. 0311 was on the list.

When I enlisted there was no bonus for 0311,and that was only in October so I think you'll have a problem if you wanna go 0311 since your worried about a bonus.

Capital M
12-11-08, 07:04 PM
Hey Guys, First post. Fox I'm in a similar situation. I'm graduating with a Bachelor's in Economics next December, have a substantial amount of student loans, but I'm not gonna let it stop me. I have had a dream for the Corps since I first visited Arlington and saw a Marine Funeral when I was 10 years old. I made the decision to go to college after high school and now that I'm finishing up, I've made up my mind to join. I'm currently recovering from minor shoulder surgery (no dislocation thank God) so I have to get a waiver for that, but it gives me time to think whether to enlist or head to Quanitico. Just wanted to share that I'm putting my love for the Corps over some boring civilian desk job that pays well and that you CERTAINLY arn't alone. Good luck, Pharmacy is a difficult subject, especially those pre reqs. (organic chem)

hempstead56
12-14-08, 02:35 AM
Head to Quantico. Thats what I should have done. But I wanted to be a motivating Mustang and then I got hurt. Now im home waiting for a 2nd surgery starting my Masters next month. When Im all healed up Im heading to Quantico like I should have done.