PDA

View Full Version : The "No Complaints" Strategy to the DEP

Books
12-09-08, 06:36 PM
If you're like me - you might be - then you have come a long way to get in shape to be in the DEP and still have a fair way to go before you are in prime shape to ship. You and your recruiter are confident in the path ahead and throughout the poolee phase you realize that you need a lot of motivation to get where you need to be.

If you hate feeling like a sack of **** compared to the Marines or even other poolees, I have discovered a sure-fire way to improve your mood, stream-line your mindset, and increaes your motivation. The answer:

Don't ****ing complain about anything. Ever.

Running is not difficult or boring (it may be for many of us, myself included, but don't tell yourself that) if you don't let yourself think it is. Your first thought when you think about running should be "Oustanding!", not:

- ****, my knees are going to kill.
- I need to stretch some more.
- This is going to take forever..
- Running is boring as ****.
- Do I need more stretching?
- Can I save the running for MCRT?
- Maybe I should stretch a little longer.
- I wonder if there is a way around this?
- Did I stretch already?
- etc.

PT is excellent. If you really say that to yourself, you will believe it. I consider myself a fairly rationally-minded person - who hates PT - but when I know it is time to PT, I get all pumped up and tell myself and those who ask how awesome my PT time is going to be.

But the whole "No Complaints" thing extends far beyond PT. It applies to everything. It can make your recruiters look really, really good.

If you ever see a serviceman - any branch - and they ask how you are doing, "FINE" is not an acceptable answer. You are "OUTSTANDING" or "FANTASTIC". Why wouldn't you be? You're a ****ing USMC Poolee for Pete's sake! Not all the communists in hell can take that away from you. Try it out. Motivation will grow from your response.

Also, if your recruiters ever ask how something was, something is, or how something is doing, your answer is also "Oustanding" or "Perfectly Satisfactory". Don't complain about anything, unless it is very serious. What's there to complain about? Your D.I.'s will give you something to complain about. At the moment, you've plenty of time to be a civilian and get ready for MCRT.

Even reflecting on your MEPS experience to your recruiters, it wasn't bad at all. The building wasn't too hot or cold, there were magazines to read if you got bored or the government supplied a television, you got a free meal at the hotel, and you got a nice warm bed all to yourself. Hell, that is starting to sound like one hell of an amazing weekend, don't you think?

If you just start thinking really positively about everything - I'm not saying optomistically, that's different - and quit *****ing about things, you will impress your recruiters and increase your motivation.

degenerate138
12-09-08, 07:40 PM
PT is the balls. I firmly believe that...

Sheeit, think I'm gonna run a couple miles right now.

Fender104
12-09-08, 08:10 PM
PT everyday all day its the only way.
I also think poolies should do what they are told right away and fast weather it be your recruiter telling to do something, ( if its him sound off like you got a pair) or if its your parents, or teachers just do it fast and as you were told I believe this will help us all in recruit training if we begin to do it now.
We should conduct ourselves as the Marines we want to be someday, especially when wearing a USMC tee shirt on, because when we wear that shirt out in public we are representing the Corps, and maybe some person doesn't see a lot of Marines and they see some jerk off kid screwing around in a Marine Corps tee shirt, what are they going to think of the entire Corps , they wont think to highly of the organization we are all trying so hard to become apart of .

One last thing don't complain about anything, do everything you do from now on with tact and bearing.

KidnapSix
12-09-08, 08:27 PM
I hate MEPS and always will hate MEPS haha. It just sucks big time. But yeah PT feels good gimme more. :)

Gunner614
12-09-08, 09:23 PM
Nothing feels better than arms so sore you can't wipe the sweat from your brow. God how I hate running though, haha.

dizark
12-09-08, 10:11 PM
The recruiters knows that MEPS is a terrible experience. Why lie to them, unless you're sick in the head and enjoyed MEPS.

Books
12-09-08, 10:24 PM
It's just an attitude thing. I mean, sure, it sucked compared to what most civilians could be doing on a Saturday, but it is also how you get qualified to join the military, and you're not treated terribly, so while it may have been boring, it wasn't that bad. Before I went to MEPS I heard the poolees at my station talk about it like misery incarnate.

Fender104
12-09-08, 10:25 PM
I didn't think it was a terrible experience, I thought it was alot of waiting but i figured that's what I'm signing up to do wait a lot I might as well get used to it no need to complain everyone has to do it.

Echo_Four_Bravo
12-09-08, 10:34 PM
MEPS isn't the most enjoyable experience I've ever had, but you all are in for much worse in the future. It is just something we all have to do, nothing major at all.

I love the attitude Books. I took a similar point of view towards life long ago. Though mine is "no excuses". We all know what we have to do, if we don't get it done it is on us. No excuse changes the fact you failed to do what was required. I believed that whether it was an athletic endeavor (no blaming refs for a loss) or not performing as well as I should have on a PFT. Now I apply it to my professional life and it works just as well. Maybe I should take your advice and move to no complaining next... though I did win a medal in the 96 olympics for complaining.

JavaProgrammer
12-09-08, 10:41 PM
Poolee Books, your wisdom amazes me. You have an excellent attitude that will extend far beyond PT, the DEP, and your time in the Marine Corps. Allow this attitude to influence every aspect of your life. Happiness has more to do with your outlook on life than your surroundings or your specific situation. Bitter people will always find somthing to complain about, regardless of their wealth, number of friends, etc. These are the types of people that expect others to fix their problems. In their minds, its always someone else's fault. Happy people can be in the worst of situations and still find something to rejoice about. Some people accomplish this by realizing that other people have gone through worse situations. If your legs hurt when you run, think about the Bataan Death March. If you feel cold, think about the Frozen Chosin. If you ever find yourself in a bitter mood, then read about the torture of Senator McCain. It is almost impossible for me to complain about anything in my life after reading about what he endured. Charles Dickens provided excellect advice when he said, "Reflect upon your blessings, of which every man has plenty, not on your past misfortunes, of which all men have some."

Another aspect of this attitude is the realization that overcoming your current struggles will prepare you for future struggles. The saying, "Pain is weakness leaving the body," applies to much more than your physical condition. Suffering can be used to build mental strength. A preacher by the name of Henry Ward Beecher described this sentiment very well when he said, "Troubles are often the tools by which God fashions us for better things." You should keep in mind that adversity is indistinguishable from opportunity. What are you going to do with your opportunities?