PDA

View Full Version : Son joining Marines chokes up Childress

thedrifter
12-09-08, 07:06 AM
Son joining Marines chokes up Childress

Brad Childress got emotional about his son joining the Marines.

By CHIP SCOGGINS and JUDD ZULGAD, Star Tribune staff writers

Last update: December 8, 2008 - 11:19 PM

Brad Childress preaches an even-keeled approach to football, but the Vikings coach became emotional as he talked about his 19-year-old son, Andrew, joining the Marine Corps on Monday.

Childress watched as his son was sworn in and then left for basic training in San Diego.

"It's heart-wrenching because it's against every instinct that you have as a parent to allow your child to be put in harm's way," Childress said. "But it was a decision he wanted, and he's wanted to do it for a very long time. I have no doubt that he'll be good at it and he'll serve our country very well."

Vikings owner Zygi Wilf presented Andrew with the game ball after Sunday's 20-16 victory over the Detroit Lions.

"He couldn't bring it with him," Childress said. "All he went with was the clothes on his back and 20 dollars in his pocket. And he won't have that for very long."

Still, Childress said he was surprised and touched by the gesture.

"My family is very grateful," he said. "It was touching to my son, and I know that he's going to fight to keep all of us free here."
Select company

Adrian Peterson needs 246 yards rushing over the final three games to become only the fifth running back in NFL history to reach 3,000 yards in his first two seasons. The others are Eric Dickerson (3,913), Edgerrin James (3,262), Earl Campbell (3,147) and Clinton Portis (3,099).

Peterson has rushed for 2,754 in 27 games. By comparison, Walter Payton had 2,069 rushing yards after 27 games and Emmitt Smith 2,500 yards after 32 games.
More nude shot fallout

Ellie