thedrifter
12-04-08, 07:49 AM
Bullet kills horse
Baran

Suspects identified
By HELEN OUTLAND
Published: Wednesday, December 3, 2008 5:41 PM EST

Special to Tideland News

Onslow County Sheriff’s Department is continuing its investigation into the shooting death of a horse in Hubert.

Although he declined to name them, Sheriff Ed Brown said last week that Detective Mark Scott has identified suspects in the case. Brown’s written statement also indicates that investigators retrieved a .22-caliber shell casing believed to have been used in the shooting and have also taken possession of a firearm possibly used to kill the horse.

Investigators are questioning a group of Marines renting a house near the stable on Bear Creek Road and Naval Criminal Investigations Service has joined the investigation.

Elizabeth Kachmor, owner of Alderbaran, the 7-year-old Canadian Sport horse that died of injuries sustained in the shooting, could hardly contain her heartbreak and anguish after learning what happened to her friend and companion.

She and her husband, John, had returned from a wedding trip to New Hampshire and were called to the barn to find “Baran” in bad shape.

“He was lethargic and was not eating,” she said. “Baran did not miss any meals.”

She said although a tiny wound was discovered in Baran’s side, the initial thoughts were the horse was suffering from colic, a severe cramping occurring in a horse’s gastro-intestinal tract.

Kachmor said that Baran rallied after receiving a shot of Banamine, a muscle relaxant used to counteract the effects of colic. The rally was short-lived.

“We hoped he would continue to improve, but he did not and his fever and lethargy returned,” she said. “That is when we moved Baran to the NC State Veterinary School in Raleigh.”

By the time Baran reached the veterinary school, a total of two hundred liters of fluid had to be drained from around the 1,200-pound horse’s lungs and within his intestinal cavity, according to Kachmor.

“That is almost 50 gallons of fluid,” she said.

A second series of X-rays ordered by the senior veterinarian revealed a previously unseen, tiny projectile embedded in the horse’s liver.

“When it was discovered we were all stunned,” Kachmor said. “Emergency surgery was scheduled. We wanted to give him every possible chance for survival.”

Doctors found that the projectile had not only destroyed Baran’s liver, but had significantly damaged his stomach and spleen.

“We were given no choice but to euthanize our friend,” Kachmor said. “I am stunned, I am hurt and I am angry. I do not want this to go away. How can anyone mistake a 1,200 pound, white horse for anything but a horse?”

Kachmor said if county investigators and NCIS determine the Marines are responsible, her prayer is the right thing will be done.

“I do not associate those who did this with those who honorably serve our country,” she said. “But, I do feel those who did this should not be allowed to get away with it.“

Her biggest hope is Baran’s death was not in vain.

“If Baran’s death serves no other purpose but to prevent the same thing from happening to another horse, then his life and my heartache will not be in vain,” she said. “Friday (Nov. 21) was my birthday. I had planned to take Baran for a ride along the beach to celebrate. I am really going to miss my friend.”

The internationally renowned Dressage and Grand Prix Jumper world champion, Argus, sired Baran.

According to North Carolina Cruelty to Animals Statute, section (b) states: If any person shall maliciously torture, mutilate, maim, cruelly beat, disfigure, poison, or kill, or cause or procure to be tortured, mutilated, maimed, cruelly beaten, disfigured, poisoned, or killed, any animal, every such offender shall for every such offense be guilty of a Class I felony.

Brown said his department would conduct a thorough investigation into the incident.

Ellie