PDA

View Full Version : Long intro and question

phillipstains
12-02-08, 12:49 PM
<meta http-equiv="CONTENT-TYPE" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><title></title><meta name="GENERATOR" content="OpenOffice.org 2.4 (Linux)"> <style type="text/css"> <!-- @page { size: 8.5in 11in; margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } --> </style> As this is my first post i would like to put an intro before getting to my question.

I am 22 years old, a high school graduate and have spent the last four years of my life working construction and various other second jobs.
I was laid off 3 months ago, and used that time to reevaluate what i wanted to do with my life. After alot of thinking i realized that i would like to pursue my childhood dream of being a Marine.
So i went and met with a recruiter and have so far taken my ASVABs and gone through MEPs and enrolled in the DEP program.
When i went to MEPs my intention was to enlist as active duty infantry, but also knew that i may have to take an open DEP contract to get the ball rolling and then switch to an infantry contract when i shipped.
While down at MEPs i was convinced to sign a reserve contract under the assumption that i would be able to easily switch to active duty right after i got to my reserve unit, and i would be able to pick my specific MOS.
After doing more research at home and speaking to several Marines, I now realize that my recruiter sugar coated the whole concept of switching to active duty and that it would be a complicated and drawn out process if i were even allowed to do it.
Reserve duty will not work for me, as i am looking to be a full time Marine.
But now my recruiter is telling me that if i want to have an Active Duty contract i cant ship until April, he knows my financial situation and i believe is trying to use that to leverage me into taking either the reserve contract or a more technical active duty contract, neither of which i want.

So after that long explanation my question is what are my options?
Will another recruiting station have an active duty infantry contract, and can i take theirs?
Is my recruiter really trying to just leverage me into taking something i don't want based on my financial status?
If i join the reserves what are my chances of actually going active duty? and how long of a time frame will that take?

Thank you in advance for any help. And if I have misused this site or offended anyone please let me know so i may change the post. i have had a fair amount of trouble in dealing with members on another forum and am just looking for some help and advice.

Chumley
12-02-08, 01:15 PM
phillipstains,

Your profile is light on info.

If you are not satisfied with your reserve contract, go spend some more time with your recruiter. It may take some effort and persistence, but the ball is in your court to address this situation directly with your recruiter now and make the changes. If it means waiting a couple of extra months to ship to Boot, and it means that you end up in the MOS you would like, then it seems that would be worth the wait. The extra time could be well spent preparing physically. If you need to get a temporary job to hold you over, then do it. Your financial situation is not the recruiter's concern, although it sounds like he may have tried to help you through it by shipping you ASAP??? Maybe? It's your contract and it's up to you to get out of it what you can. Ask all the questions and look at all the options. You can't wait to do this, I understand, but a couple of months will go by VERY fast and will start your USMC tour / career on the right track.

Good luck!
C

<META content="OpenOffice.org 2.4 (Linux)" name=GENERATOR> <STYLE type=text/css> <!-- @page { size: 8.5in 11in; margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } --> </STYLE> As this is my first post i would like to put an intro before getting to my question.

I am 22 years old, a high school graduate and have spent the last four years of my life working construction and various other second jobs.
I was laid off 3 months ago, and used that time to reevaluate what i wanted to do with my life. After alot of thinking i realized that i would like to pursue my childhood dream of being a Marine.
So i went and met with a recruiter and have so far taken my ASVABs and gone through MEPs and enrolled in the DEP program.
When i went to MEPs my intention was to enlist as active duty infantry, but also knew that i may have to take an open DEP contract to get the ball rolling and then switch to an infantry contract when i shipped.
While down at MEPs i was convinced to sign a reserve contract under the assumption that i would be able to easily switch to active duty right after i got to my reserve unit, and i would be able to pick my specific MOS.
After doing more research at home and speaking to several Marines, I now realize that my recruiter sugar coated the whole concept of switching to active duty and that it would be a complicated and drawn out process if i were even allowed to do it.
Reserve duty will not work for me, as i am looking to be a full time Marine.
But now my recruiter is telling me that if i want to have an Active Duty contract i cant ship until April, he knows my financial situation and i believe is trying to use that to leverage me into taking either the reserve contract or a more technical active duty contract, neither of which i want.

So after that long explanation my question is what are my options?
Will another recruiting station have an active duty infantry contract, and can i take theirs?
Is my recruiter really trying to just leverage me into taking something i don't want based on my financial status?
If i join the reserves what are my chances of actually going active duty? and how long of a time frame will that take?

Thank you in advance for any help. And if I have misused this site or offended anyone please let me know so i may change the post. i have had a fair amount of trouble in dealing with members on another forum and am just looking for some help and advice.

phillipstains
12-02-08, 01:22 PM
thanks for your reply.

i am going to speak to my recruiter today about this problem and hopefully can resolve the issue or at least make some progress. i am very wary of leaving with a MOS/contract that i am not completely happy with as that is the cardinal mistake that all the Marines i have spoken to urged i do not make. i know for a fact that the extra months would help me greatly both physically and mentally but i would have to leave the state for that time as i wont have a place to live here in california and do not know how that would work with my current DEP program. (checking in and PT every thursday)

what more information would you suggest i include, i did not spend alot of time on my profile, but will try and make it as complete as possible.

Marine84
12-02-08, 02:02 PM
Haven't I heard this story before?

mjhpgh
12-02-08, 02:14 PM
This is where I was just over 20 years ago.I ended up a Marine Reservist working a s**tty civilian job. I am sure regs have changed since my day .Get what you want out of this not what your Recruiter wants .

KGunner
12-02-08, 02:56 PM
I'm sorry if this post offends anybody, or is completely out of line, I realize I am not a Marine, but have an idea.

I would talk to your recruiter, if he says there is no way to change it, or that he simply won't, tell him you just won't show up when you are supposed to ship out, or better yet respectfully inform him then that you are dropping out of DEP.

Kyle

Echo_Four_Bravo
12-02-08, 05:05 PM
KGunner, that is what I was going to say. Make it monkey simple for the recruiter. Tell him he can get you what you want, in writing, or you're dropping out of the DEP. I'm sure there is an Army recruiter nearby, remind him of that.

phillipstains
12-02-08, 06:59 PM
ok, im engaged in a long discussion with a online friend of mine from a car forum.

hes an 8 year marine veteran and is basically telling me that i will not get my infantry job because i am over qualified.

has anyone ever heard of this?

my ASVAB score was 93.

my line scores
MM GT EL CL
143 135 128 124

Phantom Blooper
12-02-08, 07:16 PM
ok, im engaged in a long discussion with a online friend of mine from a car forum.

hes an 8 year marine veteran and is basically telling me that i will not get my infantry job because i am over qualified.

my ASVAB score was 93.

my line scores
MM GT EL CL
143 135 128 124

Did you go back and see your recruiter?

Tell your on line friend that infantry Marines are not as dumb as they think we is!

There are hundreds upon thousands of infantry Marines through the ages that scored high enough for technical/administrative type MOS's that chose to be a grunt instead of support.

You need to see your recruiter and tell him what you want and work it out with him.It's your life and your career choice.Don't rely on what a pimp my ride expert told you!:evilgrin:

Marine84
12-02-08, 07:21 PM
Must....................restrain..............

Ah hell boy, if the Corps won't take you, I will!

Sorry, sometimes when things run through this big head of mine, they come running right out of my mouth and I can't stop it.

PaidinBlood
12-02-08, 07:27 PM

my ASVAB score was 93.

my line scores
MM GT EL CL
143 135 128 124

Horsehockey. No such thing as an overqualified Marine, even if many believe they are. Suggest you tactfully restate your desires, then walk. Just make sure you know what's on the other side before torching the bridge...

Phantom Blooper
12-02-08, 07:33 PM
Must....................restrain..............

Ah hell boy, if the Corps won't take you, I will!

Sorry, sometimes when things run through this big head of mine, they come running right out of my mouth and I can't stop it.

Menopause or horny?:beer:

:evilgrin:
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Marine84
12-02-08, 07:34 PM
Menopause................I won't want it in a minute.

Nope...............didn't last that long.

phillipstains
12-02-08, 07:59 PM
i didnt think that you could be over qualified but he continues to insist that i will be asked to pick another job.

he is a field radio operator and is suggesting that.

and to Marine84, if you really want me your gonna have to by me dinner and some flowers;)

i did not get the chance to get to the recruiting office, but am going tomorrow and am planning to gracefully tell my recruiter that if i have to wait until april for that infantry contract i will.

i have spoken to a SSgt in colorado, as this is where i will be living between christmas and april, and he has agreed to courtesy ship me when i need to go.

i am still unclear on this but am assuming it means that he will send me to boot camp for my recruiter, but still allow my recruiter here to recieve the enlistment credit.

echo3oscar1833
12-02-08, 08:13 PM
I agree with all the Marines here go and talk with you recruiter. However when you go speak with him, be tactful in your approach. As one Marine here said you "don't want to burn any bridges". If it was me this is how I would speak to your recruiter about this issue.

Example:
"Excuse me "rank" and "last name", I wanted to talk to you about my current status in the DEP as a reservist. It was my desire when I started this enlistment process to be Infantry, and Active Duty. It is my choice to enlist in the United States Marine Corps. I have all the qualifications to obtain this particular MOS. I respectfully request that my status in the DEP be changed or I will drop out of the DEP, as I am not currently under any obligation or contract with the USMC at this time.

That is how I would approach it. If he gets upset or tells you that you are wrong. Then I would drop out of the DEP, at this point you are not obligated to do anything. And if you meet all the qualifications on what you want to do in the Corps there is no reason for him to be stopping you. Sounds like to me he is just trying to get a Reserve Contract filled. Also there is no such thing as over qualification on being Infantry in the Corps. You can have a super high ASVAB score and still be infantry. If your recruiter still ignores you on this drop out of the DEP wait a few months and go see another recruiter elseware.:marine:

PS: Tell him the Marines over at leatherneck.com sent you:D lol.

KGunner
12-02-08, 08:14 PM
If you don't mind me asking, where in Colorado and what SSgt did you talk to?

Marine84
12-02-08, 09:18 PM
and to Marine84, if you really want me your gonna have to by me dinner and some flowers;)

I'll give you a bottle, rock you to sleep and sing you a lullaby if that's what it takes! What kind of flowers do you like? :angel:

phillipstains
12-02-08, 09:35 PM
i definetly do not want to burn any bridges, and dont intend to. its just a matter of having to wait until april now.

i spoke to SSgt. Porter in Fort Collins.

and i like orchids. hahah

KGunner
12-02-08, 09:48 PM
Ha, well that is who I spoke to for a short while before they kicked me over to the OCS office when I went in. I also live in Fort Collins, this place kicks ass and if you are moving here you will love it.

You say you are coming here in April?

phillipstains
12-02-08, 09:54 PM
can you clarify? who are you?

and yes, fort collins is a great place, great beer, great air quality, great looking girls.

thats why my dad based his buisness out there and why the majority of my family lives there.

KGunner
12-02-08, 10:06 PM
My name is Kyle, I have lived here about 4 years and love this place. Talked to the enlisted recruiters here, Sgt. Kyle and SSgt. Porter and am now applying to the OCS program through CSU. You aren't lying about the beer or girls, Old Town has some great bars.

phillipstains
12-02-08, 10:08 PM
right on man, good luck with OCS.

im looking at the mustang officer program if i make a career of the Marines.

Echo_Four_Bravo
12-02-08, 10:32 PM
Do me a favor, tell the friend you have that you're going to kick him in the peanuts for talking about things he clearly doesn't understand. Some of the most intelligent Marines I've ever had the fortune to know were infantry Marines. Heck, I watched as a group of machine gunners did the math to turn the 240G into an indirect fire weapon just after they got their hands on the thing. That isn't something your average idiot is going to be able to do.

phillipstains
12-03-08, 09:52 AM
maybe i will link this thread over there and he can respond if i wants.

unfortunately he is on the other side of the country so a threat to his nuts would seem very ineffectual i just use logic to try and make him understand.

although hes not the problem, we have been having a very mature conversation, its the liberal hippie faggots that have nothing but negative things to say about the service even though they never served.

can you explain how they made it a indirect fire weapon?

im confused on how a conversion would go but it sounds really interesting

phillipstains
12-03-08, 10:15 AM
i would like to ammend this statement but cannot seem to find a way to edit it.

unfortunately he is on the other side of the country so a threat to his nuts would seem very ineffectual i just use logic to try and make him understand.

that sounds downright insulting.

he and i are both trying to use logic to make each other understand our differing viewpoints.

Phantom Blooper
12-03-08, 10:25 AM
he and i are both trying to use logic to make each other understand our differing viewpoints.

What would Spock say?:evilgrin:

phillipstains
12-03-08, 10:34 AM
http://blog.wired.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/08/08/spock_3.jpg
he would probally say:
"I fail to comprehend your indignation, sir. I have simply made the logical deduction that you are a liar."

yellowwing
12-03-08, 10:40 AM
Who cares what Spock says. Use proper capitalization! Its what we ask of all Poolees. None of this text message stuff!

phillipstains
12-03-08, 11:41 AM
I was trying to keep things light.

I appologize for the lack of capitalization i didnt know, i would go back and change it but i cant seem to edit old posts.

Needless to say, lesson learned.

phillipstains
12-03-08, 04:42 PM
Update, went to recruiting office and met with the Gunnery Sargeant and the Master Gunnery Sargeant (biggest Marine I have ever met).

Made it known that the reserves are not for me.

The Gunny was not happy at all, i believe he would have really chewed me out if the Master Gunny wasn't there.

The Gunny filled out a form requesting to change my DEP contract from reserves to active duty.

I was told to choose 3 MOS that i would like.

So, this is what i choose:

1st) UH Infantry contract (There is apparently only one availible in the entire 12th district)

2nd) F8 Communications contract (Choose this because of influence from a friend and both my recruiter and the Master Gunny were Comms guys and helped influence that)

3rd) E4 Artillery contract (choose this one because there are only 4 MOS in it and one is a Forward Observer which is a position I was interested in. Of course the 3 other choices I have absolutely no interest in but the odds were better than any others)

So, im basically drinking large amounts of pepto-bismol because im stressing out that i wont get the UH contract. And I don't know if I want to tell my recruiter and the Gunny that I dont want the others because I will either burn the bridge so to speak, or will have to wait until the end of the year while they PT me relentlessly for backing out.

I have absolutely no interest in any other branch and don't want to lose my chance at the Marines.

So any prayers for me to get that 1 UH contract would be graciously accepted.

PaidinBlood
12-03-08, 07:19 PM
Understood, but don't let it stress you. If they can't give you what you want, then you are willing to wait for it. As long as that is the truth, then stick with the principle and let it guide your...

phillipstains
12-04-08, 12:26 PM
One more question.

If I DEP in on a active duty contract, say comms, and then before I ship want to change that. What process do I have to go through?

Can my recruiter just fill out a different contract at the office, if the contract I want is availible, and then I just take that to MEPs, or will he have to request a change?

Because I know that there is a UZ contract open, I intend to try for Recon anyways, but the recruiter dosent want to give it to me. So can I respectfully demand that contract before I ship? or will they have to file a request?

Does my recruiter have the ability to give out a Recon contract, or will he need approval from the Gunnery Sargeant?

PaidinBlood
12-04-08, 06:27 PM
Feel free to try, but don't sweat the recon contract now. Things will look real different by the time you make it to ITB

phillipstains
12-09-08, 01:36 PM
Ok, its all figured out now.

F9 infantry contract is what I got.

From what im told it is a 6 year contract, 15000 dollar bonus plus I was promised a 5000 early shipping bonus by the gunny to leave before Christmas, which I think he is hoping i will forget, but I haven't.

So, I leave monday for boot camp, with my infantry contract and 20000 dollars after I finish SOI.

Very cool, but I am quite nervous about boot camp. I hope i do well as I am not as prepared as I would like.

Any thoughts?

KGunner
12-09-08, 02:05 PM
Congratulations on getting a contract and on leaving so soon. Just keep your head in it and do what you're told. Good luck.

kbg1010
12-09-08, 02:42 PM
Ok, its all figured out now.

F9 infantry contract is what I got.

From what im told it is a 6 year contract, 15000 dollar bonus plus I was promised a 5000 early shipping bonus by the gunny to leave before Christmas, which I think he is hoping i will forget, but I haven't.

So, I leave monday for boot camp, with my infantry contract and 20000 dollars after I finish SOI.

Very cool, but I am quite nervous about boot camp. I hope i do well as I am not as prepared as I would like.

Any thoughts?

Make sure all that is clearly written into your contract when you are at Meps on Monday. Good Luck

KilpatrickF250
12-09-08, 03:09 PM
Good luck! Just remember what you're going in for, and never say ''Quit."

phillipstains
12-11-08, 08:50 PM
Well, no luck on the shipping bonus.

15k is pretty good too, and i'm not joining for the money anyways.