PDA

View Full Version : Most Useful Item While in the fleet

bstewar09
11-29-08, 09:46 PM
So I don't go to bootcamp until next July, but my mom wants to use this Christmas to get me some things I could use after I'm done with all my training. I honestly don't have an answer for her so if you have any ideas, they would be greatly appreciated.

-Ben

SlingerDun
11-29-08, 09:51 PM
The fleet is very dynamic and it's a big world but you might never get lost with a Garmin Colorado400t compatible with NatGeo world maps and it's way cool:nerd:

ecfree
11-29-08, 09:51 PM
Ben,our gracious Marine Corps will give you the most useful item......your rifle.
Treat it with the utmost care,and it will take care of you.

Achped
11-29-08, 10:42 PM
this is the most retarded question second only to "If I lay in the backyard with a broomstick, will it train me to be a sniper?"

What could you use right now? Whats your MOS? Where are you trying to get stationed? IF its okinawa tell her to give you cash so you can play short ball every night with the girls. If its Jacksonville, an STD vaccine, if its Hawaii, a surfboard, and if its Pendleton....well I don't know I've never been to pendleton. Maybe a 4wheeler?

bgsuwoody
11-30-08, 05:20 AM
this is the most retarded question second only to "If I lay in the backyard with a broomstick, will it train me to be a sniper?"

What could you use right now? Whats your MOS? Where are you trying to get stationed? IF its okinawa tell her to give you cash so you can play short ball every night with the girls. If its Jacksonville, an STD vaccine, if its Hawaii, a surfboard, and if its Pendleton....well I don't know I've never been to pendleton. Maybe a 4wheeler?

And in your case, I would just stick to the STD vaccine

Marine84
11-30-08, 08:08 AM
LOL! Woody, that's why I sent him Eve :D

Marine84
11-30-08, 08:21 AM
It really depends how you'll be traveling. I had my own car the whole time so it wasn't a big thing but, you'll need a nice heavy duty set of luggage (it will get tossed about a lot during your travels) - just one or 2 pieces maybe. I always carried dress uniforms in a garment bag, used my seabag for the rest of the uniforms and junk, and one big suitcase for civilian stuff. You'll find that as you travel, you'll buy more stuff but they'll move that around for you.

kbg1010
11-30-08, 09:57 AM
Tell her to get you some rubbers. You never know when you might need one.

Phantom Blooper
11-30-08, 11:26 AM
Somebody said on another poolee post...Cocoa Butter Lotion!:evilgrin:

ForeverChanged
11-30-08, 12:52 PM
Get a Guide Book for Marines, and read it 30 times before going.

dizark
11-30-08, 01:13 PM
Honestly, this question should be answered from the Marines of this site. He asked a question regarding what he should need once done with training, which none of us poolees know about at this time.

So please, poolees, wannabes, friends, let the Marines answer this question from here on out as they have finished training, and have been to the fleet. Thank you.

CplKJSpevak
11-30-08, 01:55 PM
How about a stack of one dollar bills for the strip clubs?

Pete0331
11-30-08, 02:12 PM
Money!
USMC doesn't pay for $hit!

Wyoming
11-30-08, 02:47 PM
So I don't go to bootcamp until next July, but my mom wants to use this Christmas to get me some things I could use after I'm done with all my training. I honestly don't have an answer for her so if you have any ideas, they would be greatly appreciated.

-Ben

Nothing!!

Earn the EGA 1st.

Then, start slowly.

cell phone - 1st year
laptop - 2nd year
vehicle - 3rd year
It's not like you'll be rolling in cash. Why not have Mom put the money she would have spent in some 5 year CD's?

bstewar09
11-30-08, 02:52 PM
Thank you for all the replies some have been helpful, some have been humbling, which isn't neccesarily a bad thing. Thanks Everyone

Sgt Leprechaun
11-30-08, 02:55 PM
Investments are good to be sure.

However, let's approach this from a different angle, if I may....our poolee is just that, and I'd advise NOT getting something that is "Marine" related, until that title is earned. That includes cool gear, dollar bills, things with the Eagle Globe and Anchor on them (including t-shirts, tattoos, and water bottles), or even subscriptions to Leatherneck. All that can wait until NEXT Christmas.

This Christmas, I'd ask for:

Guidebook for Marines (as someone said before). I got one prior to Recruit Training and even back in '82, it helped considerably.

The best boot socks you can buy. Four or five pair. Thorlo, or some other good brand. Black. DON'T take em to recruit training, but they'll come in handy afterwards. And, if you don't make it, they will still come in handy.

Investing, as stated above, is good, but I'd use the rest of my Xmas money to buy ammunition, high capacity magazines, and firearms. Those are MY investments.

Wyoming
11-30-08, 03:05 PM
Investments are good to be sure.

However, let's approach this from a different angle, if I may....our poolee is just that, and I'd advise NOT getting something that is "Marine" related, until that title is earned. That includes cool gear, dollar bills, things with the Eagle Globe and Anchor on them (including t-shirts, tattoos, and water bottles), or even subscriptions to Leatherneck. All that can wait until NEXT Christmas.

This Christmas, I'd ask for:

Guidebook for Marines (as someone said before). I got one prior to Recruit Training and even back in '82, it helped considerably.

The best boot socks you can buy. Four or five pair. Thorlo, or some other good brand. Black. DON'T take em to recruit training, but they'll come in handy afterwards. And, if you don't make it, they will still come in handy.

Investing, as stated above, is good, but I'd use the rest of my Xmas money to buy ammunition, high capacity magazines, and firearms. Those are MY investments.

BTDT and doing it still. After the election, our one and only FFL dealer here in town, damm near sold slam out.

Lot of back order stuff, but hopefully it will come in before the 21st of January.

Sgt Leprechaun
11-30-08, 03:07 PM
Same problem everywhere, Al. All my friends say the same thing, and it's the same around here.

Likely hicaps and those evil 'assault' weapons will be better investments than a 401K sooner than we think.

LandsNGrooves
11-30-08, 08:56 PM

Thats what ive been doing.

Pmags and Lancers? Check
cases of 5.56? check
Ive got one complete rifle. I got a ffl with a couple stripped lowers left imma go pick up one this week.

bgsuwoody
12-01-08, 02:19 AM
Oh a nice pair of Oakley ballistic rated sunglasses are definitely a must. I hate the Marine Corps issued ****. These will be crucial if you are in a combat MOS

Pete0331
12-01-08, 02:45 AM
Oh a nice pair of Oakley ballistic rated sunglasses are definitely a must. I hate the Marine Corps issued ****. These will be crucial if you are in a combat MOS

Wow, Oakleys were what was issued when I was in.

usstandardissue.com

All the cool cats get the Half Jackets.

Achped
12-01-08, 10:20 AM
You didnt get Oakleys? Man I got them back in K-bay, but we were also issued zap skimboards so... ;)

PaidinBlood
12-01-08, 11:01 AM
A handul of M-Frames showed up in country, but only on the mugs of the HQ convoy that went to the rear daily. The unwashed masses got the really crappy ICE and some Wiley-x. I got the halfjackets (XLJ is the the only way) and never looked back. I'd rather go blind than wear the crap they give ya. Yeah usstandardissue is the way to go, but you'll need a mil ID first.

bgsuwoody
12-01-08, 11:08 AM
I got the halfjacket XLJ's, but all we get is damn ESS bull****....they suck...and no man I don't get Oakley's remember they can barely trust us grunts to walk let alone keep track of things. You are admin...thats kinda your job lol

Accord
12-01-08, 07:29 PM

-Ben

Suicide Prevention Classes

Accord
12-01-08, 07:34 PM
I got the halfjacket XLJ's, but all we get is damn ESS bull****....they suck...and no man I don't get Oakley's remember they can barely trust us grunts to walk let alone keep track of things. You are admin...thats kinda your job lol

We got issued Oakley's in Afghanistan just a few months ago... but i'm thinking those were MEU issue **** because we were with the 24th MEU instead of just going over as a battalion because 2/7 didn't get issued them, just us.

bgsuwoody
12-03-08, 03:08 AM
Yeah probably, cause we got the whole **** load of cold weather issue that 2/7 also didn't get so I guess it is a BTN/MEU decision kind of thing, but I definitely recommend them