PDA

View Full Version : I need advice on my crunches.

JamesMShaw
11-26-08, 02:03 PM
My current IST stands at:

7 Pullups
42 Crunches
11:22 1.5 mile

My Pullups and run time have been progressively getting better, however I'm not sure what sort of work out I should do for my crunches. I know, just doing them is the best you can do. But should I just do the max in two minutes several times a day, or is there a better way to go about it?

Thank you for your help in advance.

Parsons95
11-26-08, 02:19 PM
My instructor is in the Marine Corps and he showed us the exercises he does. He did 1 set of each, rest and then do it again two more times.

-Flutter kicks for 90 seconds.

-4 count reverse crunches. (They are kind of hard to explain but you might be able to research it and find something) Do 30 reps.

-The last one was a mix between a sit-up and a crunch. You are in a sit in a sit up position, and point your toes toward the ceiling. Then you just lift your shoulders off the ground and do 60 reps of those.

I hope this helps.

JoeInVille
11-26-08, 02:25 PM
Do enough to pass, i went in doing like 44 and came out doing 98, you get ridiculously good at crunches at boot camp. All I know is it would suck to get dropped to PCP because of crunches haha

BR34
11-26-08, 02:31 PM
Do enough to pass, i went in doing like 44 and came out doing 98, you get ridiculously good at crunches at boot camp. All I know is it would suck to get dropped to PCP because of crunches haha

I think everyone should go to boot camp doing 100 crunches in 2 minutes. It's an exercise that everyone should max out on!

Shaw, try making sure your ass is as close to your heels as possible. Your forearms must only touch your thighs...don't do more than you need to. And once your shoulder blades hit the deck go back up!

Repetition is the key. Just do a max set whenever you're watching your favorite show. When a commercial comes on, do a max set, rinse, wash, repeat.

UsmcMotorT
11-26-08, 02:31 PM
I think maxing out is best. Max out 2-3 sets every other day at least. Same concept for pullups too but more sets.

polizei
11-26-08, 04:38 PM
My nightly routine:

Push-ups - Max reps
Rest 1-2 minutes
Sit-ups/crunches - Max reps
Rest 1-2 minutes
Flutter Kicks - Max reps
Rest 1-2 minutes.

Repeat until a full 2-3 sets are completed. This usually ends me out doing ~150 push-ups, ~150 crunches, and ~1:30 of flutter kicks. I hope this helps some.

duarte
11-26-08, 05:41 PM
Shaw, try making sure your ass is as close to your heels as possible. Your forearms must only touch your thighs...don't do more than you need to. And once your shoulder blades hit the deck go back up!

Very true. But the most important thing about crunches is breathing right. I learned this trick from SSgt. Lawrence at my recruiting office. Do everything the LCpl. said and on top of that every time you bring your torso up, and your elbows are about to touch your thighs exhale hard. Like hmph. Then inhale deeply as you go back down. Synchronize it well and all of a sudden you will be doing lots of sit ups. I remmember before I learned this trick I could only do like 84 in two minutes, now I cand do 119 in two minutes and that was not by trying harder but just by doing the breathing trick. Hope this helps :nerd:

JavaProgrammer
11-26-08, 07:18 PM
This is the program that I follow:
http://www.wpamarineofficer.com/files/killercrunches.pdf

When I started this program, I was able to perform 35 crunches in two minutes. I am now up to 72 and it won't take much longer before I reach 100.

dizark
11-26-08, 07:34 PM
The advice that was given to me by a Cpl, that helped me, was to do 100 crunches every night. Don't time yourself, but do 100. When I did my crunches at MEPS, I was only able to push out 55, and now can do 71 in 2 minutes. It's all about building your abs strength and also about your form.

Good luck to you and heed all the advice you get here on these forums.

Hologram
11-26-08, 07:46 PM
I usually do two sets of 50 full sit ups. When I can do two of those under two minutes each, then I up the incline. It helps with form, strength, and endurance so that when you do Marine Corps crunches on a flat surface it's easy and you can easily put out 100 in two minutes.

Tommyray
11-27-08, 02:22 AM
Very true. But the most important thing about crunches is breathing right. I learned this trick from SSgt. Lawrence at my recruiting office. Do everything the LCpl. said and on top of that every time you bring your torso up, and your elbows are about to touch your thighs exhale hard. Like hmph. Then inhale deeply as you go back down. Synchronize it well and all of a sudden you will be doing lots of sit ups. I remmember before I learned this trick I could only do like 84 in two minutes, now I cand do 119 in two minutes and that was not by trying harder but just by doing the breathing trick. Hope this helps :nerd:

Best advice I've seen for crunches as of yet. I was only able to do 54 on my IST just Saturday.. Yesterday I tried again using these breathing techniques and was able to do 71.. Just 3 days later, so it wasn't that I got stronger it was just better execution. I'm sure it's part mental aswell.. though on Saturday I pushed as hard as I possibly could up until my time was up I just wasn't able to pull to 55+.

Scottie0417
11-27-08, 04:01 AM
My advice is to do 200 crunches at a time. It doesn't really matter how long it take to do them, just so that you're able to do 200 crunches without stopping. That way, when you do 100 for a PFT, it's half of what you're used to doing at one time. My Senior had us doing that every day and on our final PFT I think maybe 3 recruits didn't get the 100 crunches in 2 minutes.

Achped
11-27-08, 08:35 AM
If you dont get 100 crunches, its the counter's fault ;)

But in all seriousness, 100 crunches is all technique, unless you're a fatbody.

kash
11-27-08, 01:34 PM
I had a problem with them when I first starting to do them. All I did was move my butt close to my heels and it helped alot for some reason. I use to just lay down and do them but my recruiter told me to move my butt closer and it helps alot.

usmcpooleepfd
11-27-08, 05:44 PM
If you need help on your crunches time yourself for two minutes and do as many as you (literally until it feels like someone just sucka-punched you in the gut) and then breathe for about 5 seconds and continue to do 10-15 more. Remember push yourself the pain is only temporary. Each night do this routine and each night max out at a higher number than the night before. If you want quicker results follow the same routine twice a day. I started at 56 and can do 104 like nothing.

1.5 miles- 10:46:45
crunches-104+
flexed arm hang- 40 seconds

rsox353
11-28-08, 08:22 AM
Do Knee to elbows. Start with a pull up. Hold your weight with your arms bent and just pull your knees to your elbows, keep your arms bent. Its a great ab workout

JamesMShaw
11-30-08, 09:57 PM
Thanks for all the advice, Duarte I tried that breathing technique but I go down so fast that I can't breath in quick enough before I'm back up and hitting my thighs. Am I perhaps doing something wrong?

JamesMShaw
12-04-08, 10:39 AM
Once again thanks for the advice, I went to my Recruiter's yesterday to do an IST with another guy. I did 6 Pull Ups (I think my bar at home may be a bit easier), 55 Crunches, and the 1.5 miles in 11:42.

I tried to utilize all the advice I was given here, in fact I was able to use the breathing technique Duarte mentioned and it seems to have worked. On the run, we ran a different road this time, one with far more hills. I'm not sure if I have just somehow slacked off on my run (felt like I was running faster) or if it was the hills, but either way I'm still working to improve it more.

duarte
12-04-08, 08:28 PM
sorry James, i was not paying attention to this thread for some odd reason.. I should have written you sooner..didn't mean to let you down brother.. OK, here is the scoop. Keep in mind that the inhale when you go down is not a long inhale. is rather quick. is not to feel your lungs up. is just to replenish them slowly and get the blood flowing. So my advise is, try feeling up with air right before the exercise begins,and then replenish with small and quick intakes of air while you bring your torso down to the floor.. also do the inhale through your nose. exhale through your mouth. reason being is because the temperature in the air is cooler than body temp., and your mouth is closer to your lungs, if you inhale through your nose, you warm that air up a little more, and makes every exercise easier. try using this for running too.. helps out a lot.
But remember that the breathing is a quick process to replenish your air supply, not to fill up, and burst all out. and also know that I am not an expert nor do i have a degree on exercise.. but i will always help if you have any questions on stuff that i know.. and i hope you guys can do the same for me. =}

JamesMShaw
12-04-08, 09:35 PM
I have already been using it for running, however taking deeper breaths. Looking back I do believe I was using more shallow breaths this time during the crunches.

duarte
12-04-08, 09:37 PM
good s**t, then.

kt3of3
12-06-08, 02:50 AM
Another thing to keep in mind is that your abdominal muscles recovery faster than any other muscle in the body so feel free to train them everyday in one capacity or another.

I'm an age waiver so I have to score high on a full PFT. Now, I'm no slouch when it comes to core exercising but I could only manage 55 sit-ups in the 2 minute period. All those sets of 20-30 reps with a 25lb weight on my chest did me absolutely no good. This portion of the PFT is more about endurance than strength so my strategy is to work out exactly as I will during the next PFT and as often as possible (max reps in 2 minutes 3-4 times per day) - in addition to my normal core workout (3 days per week).

Also, ditto to what has already been mentioned above because it can't be over-emphasized - proper breathing and technique is crucial, it promotes the most gains by isolating the muscles you're trying to target and also lessens the chance of strains and other injuries.

Retto
12-07-08, 05:05 AM
I did a mock IST at MEPS on Thursday and they told those of us that were supposed to ship out Mon/Tues would most likely not be shipped out if we could not meet pullup/arm hang and crunch numbers. I was one of the people that could not meet crunch requirements (and most likely can't meet them by Monday).

I am having major issues with crunches. I don't think my body knows how to engage the right muscles, either that or I'm just a lot more out of shape than I thought. I have to stop sometimes after just 10-15 crunches and even after waiting a few seconds I can only lift myself for another 1 at most. Does anyone have any recommendations for exercises I can use to work up to crunches, perhaps a really simple exercise that works one of the muscles that crunches do?

My recruiter says that rows (from a lying down position, not the seated/weighted kind) is a really nice exercise to help with crunches but I cannot do those either.

Zulu 36
12-07-08, 10:00 AM
I did a mock IST at MEPS on Thursday and they told those of us that were supposed to ship out Mon/Tues would most likely not be shipped out if we could not meet pullup/arm hang and crunch numbers. I was one of the people that could not meet crunch requirements (and most likely can't meet them by Monday).

I am having major issues with crunches. I don't think my body knows how to engage the right muscles, either that or I'm just a lot more out of shape than I thought. I have to stop sometimes after just 10-15 crunches and even after waiting a few seconds I can only lift myself for another 1 at most. Does anyone have any recommendations for exercises I can use to work up to crunches, perhaps a really simple exercise that works one of the muscles that crunches do?

My recruiter says that rows (from a lying down position, not the seated/weighted kind) is a really nice exercise to help with crunches but I cannot do those either.

Hate to say this, but if you can't do crunches now, you won't be doing enough by Monday or Tuesday. You've been slack in your PT workups during DEP and now you're finding out the Marine Corps is serious about these things.

The only way to really build up for crunches is to do them. There is nothing out there that is simpler than that. You have to force more out of yourself and do them more than once per day.

coltie52
12-08-08, 04:58 PM
My current IST stands at:

7 Pullups
42 Crunches
11:22 1.5 mile

My Pullups and run time have been progressively getting better, however I'm not sure what sort of work out I should do for my crunches. I know, just doing them is the best you can do. But should I just do the max in two minutes several times a day, or is there a better way to go about it?

Thank you for your help in advance.

well my final PFT I got 180 in 2min.
all you have to is drop your arms as low on your belly as you can and move you butt to your heels. and just close your eyes and go.
like for workouts at night I do a set of 200 crunches at a slow speed, then oblique crunches 100 each side at a slow speed, when I say slow I mean like 3 seconds up 3 seconds down. then I do well here this is my workout

-200 standard crunches/ slow
-200 oblique crunches(100 each side)/slow
-100 leg lifts(hands at 45 degree angle to the side of your body not under your butt)/slow
-2min planks for 4 sets
-Cobra stretch for 1min
-100 crunches/Fast(as if you were being timed)
-100 crunches/slow

like I do the normal crunches with 25lbs weights to help build them up, then do the fast set with out weight.
just do that one week then then have some one time you at the end of the week. like every time you do it you should be hurting when you wake up in the morning.
there's my two cents

2ndCEBSupply
12-09-08, 04:16 PM
Im reading this thread and realize most of you dont have a clue about the abdominal muscles.
A lot of information is wrong and can lead to over worked muscles that will leave you with cramps.
Your abs consists of four parts
upper abs
middle
lower
obliques
to gain full muscle and be abe to fight resistance or better yet do a 100 crunches (propererly i doubt any of you have ever did one proper constraint crunch) you have to work each one seperately.

your doing it wrong when
you rock going up
lower back hurts
bresthing to hard

i got to go yoll figure it out

Mike01
12-10-08, 12:39 AM
What if you just can't quite reach your thighs with your elbows?

PaidinBlood
12-10-08, 12:58 AM
What if you just can't quite reach your thighs with your elbows?

well...let me see...then you're doing it wrong! :D sorry chief. no hard answer for that one. just try scootin your butt one way or another and checking your arm position. :usmc:

Eidal
12-10-08, 01:02 AM
I'm pretty sure in the book I got from my recruiter that it said its okay to put your feet under something, but now I can't find the quote.

Will this be okay for developing the abs, and will they allow me to do this at MEPS for the IST?

PaidinBlood
12-10-08, 01:13 AM
will what be ok?

Eidal
12-10-08, 01:38 AM
Hooking the toes under a chair or having someone hold the feet? It seems to make it considerably easier for me and I'm not sure if thats a good thing when it comes to PT.

PaidinBlood
12-10-08, 02:00 AM
Should not necessarily make it easier. That is fine for your own PT, just be able to do it both ways for score, because real PFTs will always be with a Marine holding your legs...

rsox353
12-11-08, 06:08 PM
Yes, at MEPS and at bootcamp you have a partner sit on your feet as you do crunches. I have a quote for you poolee. My Gunnery Sergeant always says it "If you quite because of pain you will never get anybetter." So just think of that to yourself and keep pushing through it, your crunces will increase.

JamesMShaw
12-12-08, 05:33 PM
Thanks once again to everyone for the advice. I've noticed that what everyone has said about technique being a big part of the crunches is very true. I've lowered my arms further down, only go down until my shoulder blades touch the floor, no further, and I have stopped putting so much momentum into going up. I simply touch my thighs and instantly go back down. I've also started perfecting the breathing technique Duarte explained.

Using all of these, along with increased muscle, I have a new max of 62. I had my dad help hold my legs tonight and did 64, however he said that two of them seemed borderline so I am calling it 62. I can not express my appreciation enough. You all have helped me become that much more prepared for boot.

One month to go.

RottnDobe
12-12-08, 08:15 PM
Hey. At PT the other day we started doing this abdominal bridge exercise. It seems easy at first, but it gets tough fast. It's a really good abdominal workout. My recruiter had us start with doing one minute with the front plank, and a minute with each of the side planks. Then repeat. You cannot touch deck ever! Here is a link to demonstrate the exercise... http://www.abs-exercise-advice.com/plank.html

NoRemorse
12-15-08, 02:25 PM
Grease the friggen groove. Steal this technique from the Russians.

Choose a spot (like the kitchen door). Whenever you pass this spot you drop down and do x number of crunches (or any bodyweight exercise).

The best way to get better at anything is to practice often and practice fresh. That means don't go to failure when you're practicing. You can go to failure when you're trying to max but you don't go until you can't go during practice.

This is an easy way to do well over 200 crunches in the course of a day. It's about the easiest way to beat the crap out of yourself and skyrocket your numbers in about two weeks.

Fine, you can get a sample; test yourself by maxing out. Now each day you choose a percentage of that result from 30%-80%.

Choose a different range every day and every time you pass that spot (the kitchen door again) you drop down and bang 'em out. Do this for 14 days. Don't max out until after the 14 days.

If your numbers don't improve then you: injured yourself; didn't eat right; didn't rest enough; just suck.

This is also the preferred method for increasing your pullup numbers.

Now go and get some.

RugbyFly10
12-16-08, 01:26 AM
One of the easiest ways to get better at anything is to do pyramid exercises. (this is prob not the technical name for them, sorry) For ex, for crunches, start by doing a set of 20, rest for 15-30 sec, then do a set of 30, rest againg, then do a set of 40, rest, then go back down, 30...20 (20...30...40...30...20) if thats easy go up to 50, and so on...

This is especially helpfull for pullups. do some, hop down, take a couple secs, start again (ex, 2...4...5...6...7...6...5...4...2)

if you do these right, meaning enough reps and sets then you should be really hurting by the end. But do it often and keep doing more reps, more sets (stay around 3-6 sets) and you'll be maxing out in no time.

NoRemorse
12-16-08, 09:46 AM
One of the easiest ways to get better at anything is to do pyramid exercises. (this is prob not the technical name for them, sorry) For ex, for crunches, start by doing a set of 20, rest for 15-30 sec, then do a set of 30, rest againg, then do a set of 40, rest, then go back down, 30...20 (20...30...40...30...20) if thats easy go up to 50, and so on...

This is especially helpfull for pullups. do some, hop down, take a couple secs, start again (ex, 2...4...5...6...7...6...5...4...2)

if you do these right, meaning enough reps and sets then you should be really hurting by the end. But do it often and keep doing more reps, more sets (stay around 3-6 sets) and you'll be maxing out in no time.

Do ladders, not pyramids. That means 2... 4... 6... 2... 4... 6...

Why? They're better than pyramids. You get more muscle recovery and can do more work. Keep the number of reps lower and mix it in with grease the groove and you'll be a stud right quick.

bstinnett09
12-28-08, 04:36 PM
When doing crunches by yourself, what do you guys use to hold your feet?

PaidinBlood
01-03-09, 08:18 PM
the couch? gives me a great place to recover too... :D