PDA

View Full Version : update on my recruit!

SupportinMyUSMC
06-03-03, 08:27 PM
Just an update: My recruit is now in week 8 of boot camp and in his 2nd week at Camp Pendleton. I haven't heard anything new since he made it there, but he was pumped up and ready to go although he was also nervous and worried about injuries. His nervousness about injuries stems from the fact that he spent a week in MRP with pneumonia and alot of the recruits in MRP were there due to injuries they received "up north". After a week in MRP he did so well on his PFT that he was allowed to continue on with his original platoon is still scheduled to graduate on time!:thumbup:

top1371
06-03-03, 08:40 PM
It's good that he didn't get held back. That is unusual.. but good.

I just (November) moved from 'Edson Range' --> "up north", it is where they live while they shoot the rifle. Nice weather and lots of fresh air.

He will learn a little more about himself up there. Like pushing himself past any llimits that he thought he had... both physically and mentaly...

Semper fi,

Sixguns
06-03-03, 08:48 PM
The toughest part is really behind him. All he has to focus on now is the Crucible and he is home free after that. I pray he stays free of injury and is healthy for the remainder of training. Medical hold and recycle are words that no recruit wants to hear. I hope you are making plans to see his graduation!!

Sixguns

SupportinMyUSMC
06-03-03, 09:10 PM
you bet i'll be there for graduation. i have been a very good soon-to-be marine mom! read Keeping Faith (excellent) and am reading Into the Crucible now. Anything I can do to understand what he is putting himself through! He is set to graduate July 2nd and nothing will stop me from being there!

wrbones
06-03-03, 09:31 PM
Glad to hear the kid is gonna get to stay with his platoon. He got lucky! :D

and I'm especially glad that you are so supportive of him in his pursuit to become a Marine!

SupportinMyUSMC
06-03-03, 09:50 PM
wrbones,
Happy to chat with you again. Brian really appreciated all your advice and I am so proud of him. I'll let you know when I hear from him again!

03Infantry
06-03-03, 09:57 PM
I can't wait to see Brian. I leave for boot soon. Him and I are planning to meet each other in the corps. I am so glad you posted, I hadn't heard. I leave about the time he gets back. Mam tell him the 03infantry-Matt said hi.

wrbones
06-03-03, 10:36 PM
SupportinMyUSMC, I hope we were able to do him some good. Hope the stuff we told him helped him! Make sure he stops back by and let's us know when he graduates! Take pics to post for us, would ya.

Sme of these damn kids are gettin' under my skin. I like to know how they're doin'. ( don't tell them that. They'll try to get outta hand again...)

firstsgtmike
06-04-03, 06:24 AM
Mom,

and ALL parents,

I was on Recruiting Duty, a lifetime ago. I did everything I could; roadmaps, flight schedules, hotel/motel discount reservations, Mickey Finn Club tickets, Chamber of Commerce discount packages, etc.etc. etc. to induce/assist parents to attend their son's graduation.

A lifetime later, I still feel the same. It is an experience you will forever regret sharing if you do not attend.

Excuses are NOT enough.

If you THINK you have a valid excuse, PM me.

If you can't get time off from work, quit your job.

If you have other children at home to take care of, sell them.

There are NO acceptable excuses.

To enable one father's attendance, I arranged for a medical airlift from San Francisco to San Diego and ambulance transportation to MCRD. He was there at his son's graduation.

NOW, If you think you have a viable excuse, for not attending your child's MCRD graduation ceremony, please submit a notarized original, and five copies of your fairy tale to :

Disney Productions
Hollywood, California

And if they buy the story, ask for an advance against royalties so you can attend the graduation.

jryanjack
06-04-03, 07:49 AM
I agree with the First Sgt, my father flew out for my graduation and it made the day very special for both of us. Especially as my dad had been there 20 years prior (almost to the day!).

SupportinMyUSMC
06-04-03, 07:10 PM
My reservations are made! I got most of my graduation info off of the website Max Beerup (?) has. My only question is: since graduation is moved up due to the July 4th holiday will they just move up family day and other activities as well? I haven't received any real grad info from Brian yet. Hopefully I will get details when he makes it back from Camp Pendleton. Right now I am pretty much just fumbling around in the dark! But NO WAY I would ever miss this...

JChristin
06-04-03, 10:48 PM
Thanks for the update on Brian. Was wondering how your boy was doing. I kinda "relive" the experience in my memory when someone says, "ya in week 3 or during week 7." I miss many of the women who experienced MCRD PISC with me. Looking back, it was one of the finest and defining moments in my younger years.

Tell Brian that JChristin sends a special big "Howdy" from Oregon.

Sure am glad to hear that you are planning to attend his graduation. My mom was unable to come from Oregon to South Carolina (all women Marines train at Parris Island) for my graduation. We always shared everything, except for that one special day. Like I recently shared with a good friend of mine here on leatherneck.com, I noticed one mother in the benches and pretended she was there for me. Help to make the day go easier.

It is a very special day for your soon to be Marine. It's a defining moment. The title "United States Marine" has been earned and it is something that made my spirit cry out in pride. Nothing else like it.

semper fi,
jchristin

03Infantry
06-05-03, 12:07 AM
Mam could you please write him and tell hime Matt said hi. He will know me.

firstsgtmike
06-05-03, 12:12 AM
Mom,

I suggest you call his Recruiter and give him Brian's platoon number.

Explain your concern about the 4th of July and Family Day as plans and reservations will involve several people.

Either he, or the RS Sgt. Major can call down to MCRD and get a definite schedule for the platoon.