PDA

View Full Version : Update

Hologram
11-17-08, 06:00 PM
So I didn't get the NROTC scholarship, and as such, I am now set to ship on Dec. 15 with either a meteorology contract, an electronics maintenance contract, or a security forces contract.

I'm kinda bummed I didn't get the scholarship, but at least I have the chance of becoming a Marine that much sooner. Four more months!

SGT7477
11-17-08, 07:55 PM
Being a Marine will top everything, now get your head out of your azz and Get Some.

dizark
11-17-08, 08:24 PM
Why do you have 3 jobs chosen?

Don't worry about the scholarship. Good luck to you on earning the title Marine.

Hologram
11-17-08, 10:24 PM
Why do you have 3 jobs chosen?
That's my wishlist in order of preference, that's all.

dizark
11-17-08, 10:43 PM
Ah, that's what I thought. I'm hoping to get locked into 02xx, but I need to pick 1 or 2 more MOS fields, but can't seem to find anything that really interests me. :\

Hologram
11-17-08, 10:46 PM
Ah, that's what I thought. I'm hoping to get locked into 02xx, but I need to pick 1 or 2 more MOS fields, but can't seem to find anything that really interests me. :\
That's what I had to do for my No. 2 pick. (I wanted to make infantry my third choice so I could have as much time for school as possible. I'm not giving up on a commission just yet.) Eventually my recruiter got out his list of bonuses and I just picked the one that sparked the most interest. You might try that if you can't find anything else.

hempstead56
11-19-08, 10:56 PM
All this talk about MOS's....The Corps will put you where CORPS needs you

0231Marine
11-20-08, 06:56 AM

That is honestly the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Why would someone sign away 4-5 years of their life and just let the Marine Corps pick a job for them? I damn sure made it known that I wanted Intel because I wanted something to fall back on when I got out. EVERYONE should pick the job that they want to do in the Marine Corps or you'd just have a bunch of ****ed of Marines doing something they don't like.

Enigmatic
11-20-08, 09:52 AM
Chill 0231, you know he's just another boot trying to scare the poolees... but you're right, of course. You gotta be a retard to pick something you know you're not going to enjoy and to not make sure you get it.

Pete0331
11-20-08, 10:42 AM
So I didn't get the NROTC scholarship, and as such, I am now set to ship on Dec. 15 with either a meteorology contract, an electronics maintenance contract, or a security forces contract.

I'm kinda bummed I didn't get the scholarship, but at least I have the chance of becoming a Marine that much sooner. Four more months!

You shouldn't have given up so easily.
I know may NROTC students that have received a scholarship after they were in the ROTC program.

Hologram
11-20-08, 11:43 AM
You shouldn't have given up so easily.
I know may NROTC students that have received a scholarship after they were in the ROTC program.
I didn't give up, it was more of a delay. I had already enlisted before deciding to try for the scholarship, and when I didn't get it on the first board and I wouldn't have been able to stay in the DEP and resubmit for the second board, I decided not to create a headache for my recruiters, ship out, and then try again and again during my enlistment, whether it's to try for the scholarship again, try for different enlisted to commissioning programs like MECEP or BOOST, or take college classes while I'm in and after my first enlistment see if I can't take my GI Bill, finish up school and get into either PLC or OCC. Then of course, if none of those work, I could always try for warrant officer and see if I can use that as a platform to get the gold bar.

I'm far from giving up, Cpl.

SGT7477
11-20-08, 12:30 PM

That is right, contracts are made to be broken it was that way in 1974 and I don't know if it is the same today, if they are short in a MOS I would think that's is where you go.:evilgrin:

Pete0331
11-20-08, 01:07 PM
That is right, contracts are made to be broken it was that way in 1974 and I don't know if it is the same today, if they are short in a MOS I would think that's is where you go.:evilgrin:
They only time the Corps will send you to an MOS other then stated on your contact is if you break your contractual obligations, or if you are on an "open contract."

SGT7477
11-20-08, 01:35 PM
They only time the Corps will send you to an MOS other then stated on your contact is if you break your contractual obligations, or if you are on an "open contract."

I wonder what happened to our platoon in 1974 the Corps was short for 0311 and most of our platoon went on to be grunts 3 of us went on to be 0811's including myself I know for a fact contracts were broken. How could a recruit break a contract ?:flag: