PDA

View Full Version : My Journey

bigdaddycornfed
11-14-08, 09:40 AM
My Journey,
Well I am 6'2" and 319 lbs, I am 26 years old with a wife, a 3 year old son and a daughter on the way. I have always wanted to join the Marine corps, but I thought that losing the weight was not possible. I now realize that I was just to lazy. Well that has now changed, I joined a gym and i'm working out with 2 bouncers that I work with. 1 is a prior service Marine and the other is Ex Airforce. So atleast 1 knows what it takes to be a Marine. And as I am not technically a pool(ee),
I just wanted to make a introduction at the beginning of my journey. I will start the gym on Dec 1st, I hope to be standing on those yellow footprints at MCRDSD by July, 2009.
Any help with moto or things I should keep in mind before I go will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you for your time...
-BigDaddy Cornfed

0231Marine
11-14-08, 12:06 PM
My Journey,
Well I am 6'2" and 319 lbs, I am 26 years old with a wife, a 3 year old son and a daughter on the way. I have always wanted to join the Marine corps, but I thought that losing the weight was not possible. I now realize that I was just to lazy. Well that has now changed, I joined a gym and i'm working out with 2 bouncers that I work with. 1 is a prior service Marine and the other is Ex Airforce. So atleast 1 knows what it takes to be a Marine. And as I am not technically a pool(ee),
I just wanted to make a introduction at the beginning of my journey. I will start the gym on Dec 1st, I hope to be standing on those yellow footprints at MCRDSD by July, 2009.
Any help with moto or things I should keep in mind before I go will be greatly appreciated.
-BigDaddy Cornfed

Hey man, all I can tell you is best of luck. Based on your stats, it looks like you have a long road ahead of you but just stick with it and measure your progress with small goals (a few pounds here and there) because it's not going to happen over night. As long as you set your goals and work hard to achieve them, then you'll get there.

Make sure and keep us all posted on your progress and ask any questions you might not be sure of. We're here to help!

bigdaddycornfed
11-14-08, 02:13 PM
Well 0231 Marine, thank you for that... I was thinking that I would join using BF%. I don't think that I could drop under 220.
I am currently %31 bf. And only have to drop %13. Which is around 50lbs...That should not be too hard. Not saying its going to be easy, but anything worth doing is normally difficult right.

futurepoole08
11-14-08, 02:45 PM
Just remember, the goal of earning the Title is not an easy one. I am starting to learn this. I had to loose 9 pounds before I was allowed to even process my paperwork, and now am in the process of loosing the remaining weight, so I can be at 178. It's not easy, but it is do able. Keep your mind on your goal, and bust your a** every time you go to the gym, or when you run (big factor on the losing weight) eating better also. Heck, even get your 3 year old son out side, get him a soccer ball and run around with him. Kid have the most energy just about hah

dizark
11-14-08, 02:53 PM
I am 25, have a wife, and a 3 year old. It's great to see someone else in the same position I'm in with the family aspect and age aspect. Good luck to you, and you can do anything you put your mind to.

thewookie
11-14-08, 02:54 PM
Yo bigdaddy you corn fed brother, what's up? Good Luck bro, you have a long way to go and quiting is easy.

BTW - I'm no detective - but your profile pic looks like you are burnt, do you smoke the ganja bigdaddy? That's your choice, but it makes you stupid, and you'll have a hard time losing the weight cause you'll be eating to much BK.

Good luck

bigdaddycornfed
11-14-08, 03:00 PM
lol "thewookie" Sorry but no. i think that pic was when i had been driving for 2 days straight. (well almost 2 days) driving from cali out here to arkansas...

bigdaddycornfed
11-14-08, 03:04 PM
Hey dizark, did you have to lose any weight?

dizark
11-14-08, 03:06 PM
No I did not. I was merely pointing out the age and family aspect being the same. Be sure to take a picture of you now, and when you've lost the weight, take another picture and post them here like Accord did. It's quite motivational to all those beginning the weight loss program.

Once again, best of luck to you.

bigdaddycornfed
11-14-08, 03:10 PM
Hey dizark, I ment nothing by that.. Just a question.
And I will be taking pictures and measurements the day before I start at the gym. Me and the 2 guys I am working out with are all doing the same. And like I said, I hope to be standing on the yellow foot steps by july..

Seyborg
11-14-08, 03:10 PM
Cornfed,

I joined the DEP at 42 lbs heavier than I am now. I know thats harder than what you're lookin' at but, if I can do it, at 18 and the timid guy i was, you can.

6'2" and 165 now.

bigdaddycornfed
11-14-08, 03:21 PM
Hey seyborg, is there a age limit to D.E.P.?
I don't know if I want to go into the Recruiter's office in my current state. He will probably think I am wasting his time..
I might just go in once to introduce myself and then go back when I am closer to weight, and start any paper work that I need to. That way they see that I am serious about this journey

dizark
11-14-08, 03:25 PM
bigdaddy,

From what I've seen from all the Marines I've come across here and in my recruiting station, I can certainly tell you how they pride themselves and how professional they are. You will also read on here about people who aren't in the DEP yet but have been invited to work out with the Poolees at the functions and such to get in shape.

I don't feel you'd be wasting his or her time when speaking with them. Actually, you might be surprised at how receptive they are. I feel you should go talk to a recruiter now if you're serious about your decision, and see what assistance he or she may offer you and a gameplan for you personally.

Best of luck!

Btw, age limit for the Marine Corps is 29.

bigdaddycornfed
11-14-08, 03:38 PM
Well Dizark, thank you for taking the time to inform me of all that.. It is well appreciated. I am going to go to the recruiter Monday morning after dropping off my son at school. I want to sit with him and like you said, see what type of game plan we can work up. I will even invite him to come work out with me and my buddies.. Thank you once agian, and keep it comming please.

Mariyta
11-14-08, 03:40 PM
Btw, age limit for the Marine Corps is 29.

Quick question: I've seen conflicting responses on the max age someone (non-prior) can join. I've seen 28 with a waiver, 29, and 30. I've searched high and low for a solid answer, but haven't really found one. Is the 29 you're talking about with an age waiver?

dizark
11-14-08, 03:55 PM
Not that I know of. I'd like to have a Marine on this site answer it to be as precise as possible. The general census is usually 29, but waiver or no waiver, I'm not sure.

JRossoll01
11-14-08, 04:15 PM
all i can say is keep going at it hard and never give up, dont listen to your mind when it tells you to quit because it cant keep up with the heart, good luck

SGT7477
11-14-08, 06:56 PM
My Journey,
-BigDaddy Cornfed

You have alot of work to do but it can be done, one step is to trash the earrings, Good Luck.:flag:

CplKJSpevak
11-14-08, 07:32 PM
I consider all you guy's who want to be Marines My Brothers(Whether your Poolees yet or not) just stay focused and work hard. I can Sense that "Esprit de Corps" already!!

KidnapSix
11-15-08, 04:55 AM
Good luck Big Daddy! Im with you on that boat! I was a few pounds over my weight and i'm going out there everyday to lose this disgusting fat.

Good luck and stay motivated keep us updated!

bigdaddycornfed
11-15-08, 10:52 AM
Sgt7477. That has already been taken care of. Ear rings are trashed. Sorry about that.
JRossoll01, thank you for that. i have never thought about it like that.
Kidnapsix, ppl always say its so hard to lose weight...But i think that its only hard if the goal you want to obtain isnt worth it..And i know you will agree, becomming a Marine is well worth it =)
CplKJSpevak, Thank you for that moto.....

lagrand
11-15-08, 12:18 PM
Hey brother. Just throwing out my own moto. For the last year and a half, I have had my ship date pushed back. I've seen my buddies come and go in their uniforms. Granted, I don't have to lose weight and I am single with no kids, but the concept is the same: Never giving up and don't let setbacks hold you down. Also, try downloading some cadences when you run/workout. I'll tell you what man, when you are tired, they are what get me to run that last quarter mile or pull out that last pullup or last pushup. God bless you brother.

- LaGrand

Mariyta
11-15-08, 07:25 PM
Also, try downloading some cadences when you run/workout. I'll tell you what man, when you are tired, they are what get me to run that last quarter mile or pull out that last pullup or last pushup. God bless you brother.

I'll definitely second this. I always use Run to Cadence (I chose the Women Marines, but there are a ton of options). It keeps me going and I find myself yelling along sometimes. Good luck in your journey and keep your eye on the goal.

tgwkreu7
11-15-08, 08:15 PM
i was a D I at parris island for a little over two years before i got discharged from there <br />
most of all keep your ears open your mouth shut and do everything on ther double you are told to do...

SGT7477
11-16-08, 08:06 PM
Sgt7477. That has already been taken care of. Ear rings are trashed. Sorry about that.
JRossoll01, thank you for that. i have never thought about it like that.
Kidnapsix, ppl always say its so hard to lose weight...But i think that its only hard if the goal you want to obtain isnt worth it..And i know you will agree, becomming a Marine is well worth it =)
CplKJSpevak, Thank you for that moto.....

Sounds like you could be one of us one day, Good Luck.:flag:

bigdaddycornfed
11-20-08, 02:34 PM
Well thank you everyone for taking the time to read my post and reply. It means alot for you to spend some of your free time and give me advise.. I will keep you all posted with updates on how this fat body is doing...and keep the info and moto comming.
thank you once agian.

thewookie
11-20-08, 03:41 PM
Well thank you everyone for taking the time to read my post and reply. It means alot for you to spend some of your free time and give me advise.. I will keep you all posted with updates on how this fat body is doing...and keep the info and moto comming.
thank you once agian.

It is all up to you, for this obstacle, you control your destiny.

Talk is cheap, bigdaddy, especially on the Internet - good luck.

Go get it grasshopper...;)

jetdoc
11-20-08, 06:41 PM
Hey CB, good luck, its going to take some time to lose that weight and you are getting close because of age.

The Marine Corps is tough enough, even more so when you have a wife. You can tweak it up a notch or two when you add kids...you have a lot ahead of you brother.

bigdaddycornfed
12-02-08, 09:02 AM
Well I said I would keep you all updated. I went to my first day at the gym yesterday, and all I can say is that I can barely move my arms and my back has 2 big bruise's. All i can say is that it feel's great to get out into the gym and bust your @$$ while working towards a goal. Well enough wasting time and I am off to the gym for day 2 of many more to come.
:bunny:

Rains
12-02-08, 04:27 PM
My Journey,
-BigDaddy Cornfed

Best Of Luck To You!
Mabye We'll see each other at the Depot, I'm goin around that time aswell.

BigGunz90
12-02-08, 04:39 PM
Hey man there's also some good threads about weight loss and people who have lost weight. I know a couple stickies at the top of the forum you may wanna check out. Excellent moto.