PDA

View Full Version : Marines mark 233rd year

thedrifter
11-12-08, 06:46 AM
Marines mark 233rd year
By Matt Williamson | Enterprise-Journal
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2008 11:31 AM CST

They ate birthday cake and handed out door prizes of swords and AK-47 bayonets. And when things got emotional, they shed a little “eye sweat” — never tears.

Marines around the world celebrated the Corps’ 233rd birthday on Monday, as did a group of local leathernecks at Fernwood Country Club, carrying on a tradition that has been observed since 1921.

The Marine Corps were formed by the Continental Congress on Nov. 10, 1775, at Tun Tavern in Philadelphia.

On Monday evening, Marines recalled this and other facts about the Corps’ history as they kept with tradition, reading messages from the Corps’ Lt. Gen. John A. Lejeune, 13th Commandant, who established the tradition of celebrating the Corps’ birthday, and the current Commandant, Gen. James T. Conway.

“The history of the Corps is as important to every Marine as his rifle,” said Maj. Ross Parrish, who is stationed at the Corps’ recruiting station in Baton Rouge.

“The history of the Corps is now being written by a new generation of Marines. ... Like the Marines before them, this new generation of Marines is writing its own chapters of the history of peace.”
The local gathering on Monday recognized those who had served in Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan.

Paula Carruth, whose daughter Lance Cpl. Casey Casanova was the first woman from Mississippi killed in combat in Iraq earlier this year, said Marines have been a support base for her since her loss.

“The camaraderie of the Marine Corps is just such a wonderful thing. It amazes me. It’s a beautiful, beautiful thing,” Carruth said. “The Marines have been a part of my life every day.”
Sgt. Maj. Malcolm Alford of Mount Hermon, La., who retired from the Corps in 2003 and up until a week ago had been working as a contractor in Iraq providing security to State Department officials, said he has witnessed the work of Marines in the war zone.

“In my opinion it’s just a tremendous change,” he said of the Iraq situation, noting that American forces handed over control of the volatile Anbar Province to the Iraqis in September.

“I can see a difference,” he said. “The events don’t happen like they used to.”

Alford said those Marines fighting in Iraq, once their time on the battlefield is done, still will be bound by the brotherhood of serving in the Corps.

“One thing never changes: Marines want to be with Marines,” he said.

Ellie