PDA

View Full Version : Some unfortunate news

hockfan86
11-11-08, 08:02 PM
Hello all, a lot of you probably don't know me, but I posted awhile ago about going DEP while in college. Well I visited the recruiters office and I was basically told that because I would need three waivers to get in, that I was probably a no go. I am going to go get a second opinion and hopefully it will work out. It kind of depressing that I will never get the chance to prove myself and become a Marine. The process was worth it as I lost 60 pounds in 7 months and learned a lot about fitness and health. Happy Veterans day, and my thoughts will always be with you as you defend our country proudly. I have a year left in college to get a degree in Public Administration, it is likely I will go and work for the government supporting the military from the civilian side. Thank you.

yellowwing
11-11-08, 08:22 PM
We need everyone where ever they end up to win this thing. I admire you in your thinking of still doing you part! :thumbup:

dizark
11-11-08, 10:24 PM
3 waivers? I think I have 4.

ELS Waiver
Dependant Waiver
Tattoo Waiver
and I believe one for my vision or maybe it was just BUMED looking at my documents and approving me.

hockfan86
11-12-08, 12:33 AM
Well that is why I stated that I am going to get a 2nd opinion. I'm not giving up that easy, but the journey is rocky and it may end with me working civilian Marine support job. If that is my destiny then so be it.

Echo_Four_Bravo
11-12-08, 01:19 AM
I don't know what you need the waivers for, but unless you did something really stupid I'd recommend pushing until you get the answer you want.

hockfan86
11-12-08, 01:51 AM
I appreciate the confidence, and I will push until I am flat out told no by meps. Here are the waivers I need.

1. Arrested, but proven not guilty for aiding and abetting a 3rd degree burglary.
2. Diagnosed with asthma before the age of 13, but I no longer use inhalers or any medication and I can run fine.
3. I took ridilen for hyper activity at the age of 7, the doctors took me off of it at age 9, and now at age 21 I have no behavioral issues whatsoever.
4. I seperated my left shoulder twice between the ages of 14-16. I currently have no issues with my shoulder.

BR34
11-12-08, 06:10 AM
Damn, that's horse ****! I had 7 waivers when I went through MEPS just 2.5 years ago.

hockfan86
11-12-08, 04:13 PM
This is very encouraging to me, I am going to try the recruiting office in my hometown over Christmas break.

hockfan86
11-12-08, 09:43 PM
Well tomorrow I am going to go to a recruitment office near Minneapolis where I am from. I am going to lay it all out there and just tell him I am a guaranteed sign if he can get me through. Hopefully all goes well. Thank you.

SupChf
11-13-08, 07:05 AM
Do yourself a favor and bring all of your medical documentation with you. The recruiter can do what is called a "Med-read" where you fill out all of the physical screening paperwork and send it up...

Famous Dave
11-16-08, 05:28 PM
good luck hock, ill probably be in boot by the time you find out if your going in. like the others have said, and i say this with confidence of having a few oddball waivers myself, i see nothing that should hold you back, sounds like your recruiter might have not been to moto about getting you in, shame. again, good luck.

hockfan86
11-21-08, 01:34 PM
Well I got a call from a recruiter in my hometown and he seemed real shaky about the legal issue and the asthma. I hope we can make this work, I am meeting him face to face on Monday.

2ndCEBSupply
11-21-08, 02:06 PM
I appreciate the confidence, and I will push until I am flat out told no by meps. Here are the waivers I need.

1. Arrested, but proven not guilty for aiding and abetting a 3rd degree burglary.
2. Diagnosed with asthma before the age of 13, but I no longer use inhalers or any medication and I can run fine.
3. I took ridilen for hyper activity at the age of 7, the doctors took me off of it at age 9, and now at age 21 I have no behavioral issues whatsoever.
4. I seperated my left shoulder twice between the ages of 14-16. I currently have no issues with my shoulder.

You should have just kept quiet about all of those and you would have been fine

hockfan86
11-21-08, 06:59 PM
I don't want fraudulent enlistment.

dizark
11-21-08, 08:24 PM
tbh, as far as the Asthma goes, get a Pulmonary Function Test done. It can normally be done in the doctors office if he or she has the machine, or they can refer you to someone. It's a quick test, blowing in the tube hard and so forth. The reports are instant, and those can help with the process so long as you pass it.

Best of luck to you. You will need to be patient throughout the process. My waiver process took a total of 2 months from time I saw my recruiter to the time I officially swore in.

Took my ASVAB and actual Physical the second week of September, but BUMED had to approve one waiver which gave them until the end of the month, then they wanted a second eye consult, causing me to wait until the end of October. I was patient throughout the process, including the many hours sitting around at MEPS numerous times (sat there 12 hours one day). The liasons were impressed how I was patient, and not banging down their door every 2 minutes. Of course, maybe this is because I'm 25, and not really as impatient as I was when I was 17 or 18.

hockfan86
11-24-08, 04:55 PM
Well, I have great news, I just got back from the Marine Recruitment Office and it went really well. I spent two hours talking to SSgt.Garretson about everything I needed to do to get in. The...

iamarepublican
11-24-08, 05:00 PM
Awesome!

Good luck!

DD88
11-24-08, 05:09 PM
That's great hockfan86. I like your determination. Don't quit.:evilgrin:

Twitchell
11-24-08, 06:49 PM
Good luck hockfan86!