PDA

View Full Version : Happy homecoming for Marine reservists

thedrifter
11-10-08, 11:14 AM
Happy homecoming for Marine reservists
Emotions overflow as unit returns from Iraq
Monday, November 10, 2008
BY CARMEN CUSIDO

EWING --Fighting back tears, Carol Huff hugged her 21-year-old son Adam, a Marine lance corporal who returned from a tour in Iraq yesterday afternoon.

"I was scared to death. I didn't want him to see what I saw in Vietnam," said Adam's father, Don Huff, a Marine veteran who fought in Korea and Vietnam.

The Huffs, of Newtown, Pa., were among the 60 parents, siblings, neighbors and friends who awaited the return of 28 Marines from Iraq early yesterday afternoon.

As a bus containing the returning soldiers pulled up to the Golf Battery Reserve Center on Scotch Road, those gathered clapped, cheered and help up signs that read "Welcome Home From Iraq United States Marines." The Marine reservists arrived in Camp Lejeune, N.C., last week and returned by bus yesterday. Their unit suffered no deaths.

The emotional homecoming capped a nearly yearlong absence during which many parents and other loved ones waited anxiously for news of the soldiers and rendered whatever support they could that might see the soldiers through while they served their country.

Carol Huff, who would send her son 40-pound care packages filled with toiletries, games and candy, was both nervous and happy yesterday.

"Now it's real," she said.

The Huffs plan on celebrating both Adam's return and the 233rd anniversary of the founding of the U.S. Marine Corps today with a feast.

After exchanging hugs and kisses with family and friends, Adam Huff said, "It feels great to be home."

Another mother waiting on the tarmac yesterday said her family would fete their son with pizza and chicken wings upon his return.

Judy Logan, of Hamilton, who was waiting for her son Robert, 20, to return after his seven-month tour in Ar Rutbah, Iraq, said he was looking forward to taking a shower that lasted longer than five minutes.

"I'm going to throw my arms around him and cry like a baby," Logan said. "We'll take it day by day. We're not going to talk about what he saw in Iraq," said Logan, whose husband, Rodney, is a retired Marine.

Other mothers were just as emotional yesterday.

Once her son stepped off the bus that brought the members of the Golf Battery 3rd Battalion 14th Regiment, Terri Eck-Garcia leaped up and wrapped herself around her son, Lance Cpl. Charles Garcia.

"It feels great to see family and friends," Garcia, 29, of Galloway, said of returning home. "Being over there makes you appreciate the stuff you have here, the stuff you take for granted."

The Marines had left the Ewing center last December for training, some leaving in April for duty in Ar Rutbah, an Iraqi town in the western Al Anbar province and an important strategic base for U.S. forces. Since then, Eck-Garcia said her son's tour took a toll on her nervous system, she worried something would happen to him.

"I can actually relax now," said Eck-Garcia, who planned to welcome her son with shrimp, steak and fillet mignon. She said she was happy all the soldiers who left with her son had returned home safe.

"I want to welcome them home and tell them 'you did one hell of a job serving our country'," Eck-Garcia said.

Ellie