PDA

View Full Version : My 16yr son want's to join the Marines

Elias B
11-10-08, 03:02 AM
Yes, he is 16 (5'10" 205lbs) and I know he needs to be 17 with diploma, which is what he is working on now. I'm putting him in a program to let him graduate sooner, he dislike school and want to move on with his life.

But as a dad of a 16yr. old boy (17 in 7 months), I love the idea. And know that it's what he wants to do, but should I make him wait another year? I know as of now he doesn’t want to go to college, even though he is a really good football player (LB/FB). And our neighborhood is not the greatest, and I don't want him getting a taco bell job, and hanging around.

I just want to make sure that I'm asking all the right questions and covering every corner, because once you sign, that's a rap

Ee

rickyracer
11-10-08, 03:29 AM
Are you a former Marine, and why does he want to join??

Have him watch the first part of Full Metal Jacket and let him see what boot-camp is like. If it is something that he really wants and he has put a lot of thought into it, then I would say for him to go for it. Go talk to a recruiter.

dono
11-10-08, 05:34 AM
Have him watch the first part of Full Metal Jacket and let him see what boot-camp is like.

I always wondered what Marines thought about that movie.

sparkie
11-10-08, 06:22 AM
First half, very realistic for it's time frame. The 2nd half, stupid commentary.
Why wait another year? As you said, hangin around ain't good. I'm glad I didn't hang around. Turned 18 after 5 months in.

Gator347
11-10-08, 08:37 AM
I would have to agree with the Sgt, "Sparkie":thumbup:

17 on the streets or 17 in the Corps? Why wait?:flag:

Elias B
11-10-08, 12:44 PM
I'm not a former Marine, but wish I was (brother was a Marine). I guess I'm just a little nerves about the whole idea of sending this kid away at 17, but it time to step it up, and step out.

Thanks for all the relpy and advise, be blessed.

Ee

rktect3j
11-10-08, 12:52 PM
I always wondered what Marines thought about that movie.

We watched that movie at MEPPS the day I shipped off. Scared me to death. Now I realize it is only a movie to be watched in fun. ;) Still the closest thing to it though.

Zulu 36
11-10-08, 01:05 PM
My favorite line from the DI in FMJ: "You're so ugly you could be a modern art masterpiece."

My favorite line from the second half: "It's easy. You just don't lead 'em as much."

Crusader20
11-10-08, 01:12 PM
My favorite line from the second half: "It's easy. You just don't lead 'em as much."

Love It !!:D Use to have that comment said over the radio at least twice during any field op.

As far as the young man, i would really have a sit down with him to understand the type of commitment that he will need to have. But getting him off the streets and into a honorable lifestyle, may be the best way to give him some purpose in life.:flag:

Quinbo
11-10-08, 04:12 PM
Do a little research on Jack Lucas. I served with 2 Marines who turned 18 after exactly 1 year of service. Both were fine men and good Marines.

Zulu 36
11-10-08, 04:39 PM
Do a little research on Jack Lucas. I served with 2 Marines who turned 18 after exactly 1 year of service. Both were fine men and good Marines.

I agree. I went to boot camp, ITR, truck driver school, then to Vietnam with a 17-year old. Damn fine Marine.

Yep, he was 17 when he went to Nam. A little admin error as a result of the whole air group being packed up and shipped ASAP. It was discovered when he walked into the motor pool dispatch shack after about a week in-country and announced it was his 18th birthday.

The Motor T officer got a funny look on his face and disappeared. Within a day, three 17-year old Marines from other sections were sent back to Iwakuni kicking and screaming.

Dennis got to stay. Frankly, if he'd been shipped back I think he would have turned into a stone sh*tbird. He absolutely reveled in being in a combat zone and his performance was top notch.

Sgt Jim
11-10-08, 05:56 PM
Turned 18 while in ITR,didn,t hurt at all.now at 56 every thing hurts,still suck it up and keep on going.Semper Fi

SGT7477
11-10-08, 06:26 PM
I'm not a former Marine, but wish I was (brother was a Marine). I guess I'm just a little nerves about the whole idea of sending this kid away at 17, but it time to step it up, and step out.

Thanks for all the relpy and advise, be blessed.

Ee

He will be ok at least he picked the Marines you would have to worry if he picked the army.:flag:

Elias B
11-10-08, 06:41 PM
lol, roger that

Ee

jetdoc
11-10-08, 07:15 PM
Elias, check your email.

Elias B
11-10-08, 07:46 PM
Done, now check your's. I would love to say that my son really wants to go to college, but as on today, that's just not him. He rather, fight 2 or 3 guys in a dark alley, play football all day, box in the middle of the street (peeps lined up waiting) or eating. So not sure if that's a good thing, but that's my kid. So knowing him, the idea that he wants to do something to secure his furture, and not screw himselft. Go to the Marines, fit's me just fine. Just as long as he does'nt come home thinking he's going to whip is pop's (not today, not tomorrow, nope not never).

Ee

jetdoc
11-10-08, 08:04 PM
Done, now check your's. I would love to say that my son really wants to go to college, but as on today, that's just not him. He rather, fight 2 or 3 guys in a dark alley, play football all day, box in the middle of the street (peeps lined up waiting) or eating. So not sure if that's a good thing, but that's my kid. So knowing him, the idea that he wants to do something to secure his furture, and not screw himselft. Go to the Marines, fit's me just fine. Just as long as he does'nt come home thinking he's going to whip is pop's (not today, not tomorrow, nope not never).

Ee

Hahah, I hear you man, they can NEVER kick pops butt!!

I will check my email in a few, he sounds like he would be a good Marine one day, he just needs some direction and he will get that for sure in Bootcamp.

Elias B
11-10-08, 08:28 PM
Hey, I was just thinking (which I never do, so this might be good), what do u think would be a good MOS for a kid like this?

Ee

pi 53
11-11-08, 12:25 AM
Yes, he is 16 (5'10" 205lbs) and I know he needs to be 17 with diploma, which is what he is working on now. I'm putting him in a program to let him graduate sooner, he dislike school and want to move on with his life.

But as a dad of a 16yr. old boy (17 in 7 months), I love the idea. And know that it's what he wants to do, but should I make him wait another year? I know as of now he doesn’t want to go to college, even though he is a really good football player (LB/FB). And our neighborhood is not the greatest, and I don't want him getting a taco bell job, and hanging around.

I just want to make sure that I'm asking all the right questions and covering every corner, because once you sign, that's a rap

I enlisted at 17 and turned 18 before I graduated boot camp. Things were
different in 1953 ,the Korean war was still on and they were drafing 18
year olds. We had some dumb kids in our High school who failed a couple
of grades and I had classmates who disappeared like alien abductions. They were drafted in the Army. The Air Force hand a 2 yr waiting list and the Navy 18 mos. waiting list. The Army and Marine Corp were taking
you immediately. I personally wanted to get it over with rather than wait to get drafted. Me and my high school buddy were big John Wayne fans so we opted for the Marines. I was 5'11- 160 lbs and my buddy was 6'2
185 lbs. ( He stayed in the Corp for 22yrs.) I was in 3yrs. Neither one of
us had any idea how tough Parris Island would be! I had a mindset that
you finish everything that you start and I would rather die than quit.
" I can honestly say that the Marine Corp was one of the most proudest things I accomplished in my lifetime and I'm 73yrs old now " If your son
Ee toughs it out and doesn't quit he will join an elite special band
of brothers who can say SEMPER FIDELES. :iwo:

Sgt Leprechaun
11-11-08, 06:49 AM
First, good for him. Second, I went through almost the entire Recruit Training at age 17, turned 18 a few days before graduation.

It will do him a world of good, and you'll be DAMN proud!

jetdoc
11-11-08, 07:49 AM
As far as his MOS, well I am biased and I said in the PM...I'd go Air Wing. We are all basic riflemen however.

You said he likes to fight? If he does go in and makes it through bootcamp, (Bootcamp isn't just physically tough, he has to be mentally tough as well and when I was in bootcamp I saw more than one physically tough guy fail and not make it thorugh), see if he can try out for the Marine Corps Boxing team.

Remember the first guy to ever beat Muhammad Ali? A Marine named Percy Price. There was a whole thread about this guy on here.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-12301.html

BHABIT
11-11-08, 11:26 AM
I can't tell you what you should do; all I can do is relate my experience.

My son turned 17 04-14-08 (20080414) at present he is 1 week out from graduation from SOI (School of Infantry), he's a 311 (grunt).

At 16 he came to me and asked if I would sign for him to enlist when he turned 17. His plan was to graduate H.S. early so he could enlist. I was proud of him for his decisions and concerned. Like all parents I Love my son as well as his older brother, but I'm also acutely aware of his short-comings. It wasn't so much his size (5’-6" / 98 lbs) that bothered me, it was his mental outlook. He would quit most everything he started if it got too tough, he wouldn't take direction, thought he knew everything and he was ALWAYS right. He was truly my problem child, so much so that there isn't enough room here to detail it.

12 days after his 17th birthday he took his oath 20080426, the first week in May he graduated H.S; he was planning to ship 20080816 but couldn't take it so he told his recruiter to get him in the first available slot, which was 20080622.

My son and I were always at odds with each other all of his life, now I get more letters than his Mom and he always calls me just to chat. The first thing he wrote me was how he now understands my motivation in how I was raising him and to thank me for everything I did for him. When he got his EGA I told him how proud of him I was and that now besides him being my son he was also my brother a Marine.

Proud...I can't begin to express. He has excelled in everything he's done in the Corps; he Loves it and looks forward to every new day with anticipation.

Should you let your son go?? I did and it was and is the greatest thing to happen to us our family and to him.

I hope this has been some help for you...Good Luck!!

Elias B
11-11-08, 11:59 AM
pi 53 and BHABIT, thank you for sharing your stories, and your words of wisdom. As I said physically he's ok, mentally it's 50/50, but you might have to choke him out to make him quite (which I've done, once or twice).

I think with talking to my family, pastor, friends, and now reviewing the post here on this website. My decision to allow him to attempt to join the Marines, sits allot easier.

Thank you everyone that has replied with their story's, and please if you have more continue to post. I love to hear what people have gone through to get to where they are now.

Ee

ggyoung
11-11-08, 01:43 PM
My best friends dad joined the Marines at 15 and he was off to WW1.

pi 53
11-11-08, 09:38 PM
Elias B Sounds like your son will be ok physically. In Parris Island 1953 I would break it down as 65% mental-35% physical, but you should ask some newer Marines how they would rate it. "The...

MPMOM
11-11-08, 10:30 PM
amen to that Sgt

MPMOM
11-11-08, 10:32 PM
My son graduated boot camp in 04 and he said it's mostly mental stuff, so it doesn't sound like much has changed in that respect.

pi 53
11-11-08, 11:45 PM
Hi counterchick------I'm glad to hear that from the younger Marine.
SEMPER FI TO HIM :yes:

Elias B
11-12-08, 12:57 AM
Ok, so I had him what Full Metal Jack, which he liked allot, also told him about the mental trips, so he up to speed. Look's like he's good to go, just need to get his deplomia and hit 17 (in about 7 months).

I can't wait to see how much he will change, and to see food in my cabinets, lol.

What do do recruit make in boot camp?

Ee

Pattyq
11-12-08, 04:39 AM
My son started talking about the Marines in the 8th grade. I tried selling him on college. He constantly said how much he hated school. He is currently in combat training at camp Lejune. He left one week after his 18th birthday. He loves it. Funny thing is he will go to Pensacola and be in school for over a year.
We have a bad OC/herion problem in our area. I was not happy about his choice to become a Marine but now when I look and see that one of his old friends is shooting herion others are selling pot, and doing OC's I thank god that he's in the Marines. He's moving forward with his life not sitting around with a crappy job getting drunk and using drugs. We let him sign up for the delayed entry program and that kept him away from the drugs before he left. He went and worked out on Saturday mornings and did other Marine events rather than hanging out and getting wasted with his so called friends. If your son wants to do this bring him to a recuiters he will have to keep clean and out of trouble. I truely beleive my son would be doing the same as his friends had he not wanted to become a Marine. It was his dream and he did what he had to do to get there. Once he became a senior and I knew I couldn't change his mind and saw he was heading down the wrong path I gave him all my support and let him join the delayed entry program. I have no regrets. If they don't want to go to college Imho the marines is the best choice.

Elias B
11-12-08, 10:39 AM
Pattyq, thanks. I don't think I can put him in the delayed entry program because of his age (16yr old). But I know I can have him meet the recuiter, if they would only call me back. I've never heard of a recuiter not calling a parent back, I've called this guy easily 4 to 5 times.

But hopefully once we do hook-up, the recuiter will take him on short trips on to visit Camp Pendleton, which I'm only an hour away.

Ee

Pattyq
11-12-08, 10:45 AM
You can't do it He can. Time to let go. Don't know what age they can join the delayed entry program, our son had just turned 17. He picked his date to leave, he could have left at 17 but he wanted to celbrate his 18th at home. Good luck to your son. It's not a bad choice

pi 53
11-13-08, 12:17 AM
Ok, so I had him what Full Metal Jack, which he liked allot, also told him about the mental trips, so he up to speed. Look's like he's good to go, just need to get his deplomia and hit 17 (in about 7 months).

I can't wait to see how much he will change, and to see food in my cabinets, lol.

What do do recruit make in boot camp?

Ee

You will be amazed at how much he will change into proud and self confident that will last all of his life. The paygrade is E1-private until
he graduates boot camp as a Private First Class-E2. I don't know what
the pay grades are now, perhaps some of the current Marines can
tell you. You said he likes to fight, that is where the control comes in.
He should know that he has to let the DI do anything he wants. In
otherwords he is gonna eat a lot of S***. :marine:

Gator347
11-13-08, 06:17 AM
You will be amazed at how much he will change into proud and self confident that will last all of his life. The paygrade is E1-private until
he graduates boot camp as a Private First Class-E2. I don't know what
the pay grades are now, perhaps some of the current Marines can
tell you. You said he likes to fight, that is where the control comes in.
He should know that he has to let the DI do anything he wants. In
otherwords he is gonna eat a lot of S***. :marine:
:thumbup: The DI's have done wonders will my Marine. Go to the Average HS Graduation & then go to PI or SD Graduation. It is nothing short of amazing what the Corps can accomplish with these once: spoiled, unappreciative, & sometime disrespectful recruits. (Just read a few before & after Ask a Marine or Poole Forums on this BLOG)

Elias B
11-13-08, 10:52 AM
As for as the DI's, I've been explaining to him that that's where he needs to keep his mouth shut and eye's open. After talking to several people and watching some boot camp clips, I think he get's it, and knows he's not going to get away with anything. I also know that's one of the reason he wants to go, because usually he can talk his way out getting in trouble at school.

I just can wait for him to enlist and head out to BC, but I've got at least 7 long months to wait. At least though we've meet the recuiter and he has gone over allot with him, about what the Marines are all about. Also had him do the AVABS (is that's how you spell it?) test which he passed, but he needs to work on getting a higher score.

Ee

2ndLAADBnWRENCH
11-13-08, 11:25 AM
Hello, Elias

Get your son on here for chat room and Sunday evening Poolee Hall meetings 2100 hours EST as a pre-poolee. Have him file out his profile just like the rest of the Marine Friends n Poolee's. I mentor plenty of young men and woman under the age of 17 in chat room etc.. I think pre poolee time gets them more prepared and its more automatic in a lot of the kids involved early rather than walking into the recruiter and shipping 2 weeks later for example. With you being at Lake Elsinor and less than an hour from Camp Pendleton. I am sure there are plenty of nieghbors or friends to include his uncle that are Marines or Former Marines to keep him Motovated. You may speak to Young Marines recruiter for local area meetings for Drill or see Marine recruiter for info on the Devil Pup program also.

my 2 cents

2ndLAADBnWRENCH
11-13-08, 11:39 AM
I lost train a thought and dropped a very important note to mention.. I was a athelete and a personal trainer on all Marine sports programs... If your son has any talent at all with any sports he exels in. He will be looked at and an approuched by many from all levels of teams in Marine Corps Sports. I don't know about now a days back in the 80's and 90's you could be a full time athelete and be treated very well for your efforts as a team member whether it be Company, Base, Division, Regional or All Marine levels of sports. This is something else you can dangle for him to be Motovated for the Corps.

0231Marine
11-13-08, 12:20 PM
I lost train a thought and dropped a very important note to mention.. I was a athelete and a personal trainer on all Marine sports programs... If your son has any talent at all with any sports he exels in. He will be looked at and an approuched by many from all levels of teams in Marine Corps Sports. I don't know about now a days back in the 80's and 90's you could be a full time athelete and be treated very well for your efforts as a team member whether it be Company, Base, Division, Regional or All Marine levels of sports. This is something else you can dangle for him to be Motovated for the Corps.

You need to be very careful with that though because the needs of the Marine Corps come first. Your son will have no guaruntee that he will even be allowed to try out for those teams. If he goes to a unit with a continuous deployment cycle such as the one I was at, he may end up deploying 3+ times while he is there. It's ok to let him know about it but you can't promise anything in the Marine Corps except beans, bullets and bandaids.

You might also consider taking him down to MCRD in San Diego and let him watch a graduation on a Friday. Talk about motivating!!! It would certainly give him perspective and allow him to know what he has to look forward to when he's getting run into the dirt by his DI's.

LHMHMOM
11-13-08, 12:44 PM
My 17 year old son is in DEP and they love it when my 16 year old son attends the functions with him. I don't know if they allow him to go because his brother is a poolee or just because but I didn't have to sign any kind of authorization for either of them to travel or participate in any of the activities with the recruiters. My 17 year old ships on June 15 and we are very nervous but really proud and excited for him!! I'm hoping that my 16 year old makes the decision to join as well. He's very undecided right now but I think the graduation in September may help him decide!!

marinemama
11-13-08, 02:01 PM
It is so refreshing to see other parents so supportive! Good luck to you all.

2ndLAADBnWRENCH
11-13-08, 02:32 PM
You need to be very careful with that though because the needs of the Marine Corps come first. Your son will have no guaruntee that he will even be allowed to try out for those teams. If he goes to a unit with a continuous deployment cycle such as the one I was at, he may end up deploying 3+ times while he is there. It's ok to let him know about it but you can't promise anything in the Marine Corps except beans, bullets and bandaids.

You might also consider taking him down to MCRD in San Diego and let him watch a graduation on a Friday. Talk about motivating!!! It would certainly give him perspective and allow him to know what he has to look forward to when he's getting run into the dirt by his DI's.

0231 HAS A POINT???

Your absolutly right without something in writing and the signee filing all the requerements to get the contract signed for by not fufilling his end a the deal. Ya still do what the Corps wants.
Units do have the option to hold atheletic talent back and fill the line # and slot for there unit.. I found that a great worker with talent in his MOS and talent as an athelete gets the attention of some with rank and authority to cause things to happen. For example Joe Turd the rag man can do your job in the unit the days you are on the road and playing foot ball or rugby for the unit and somebody with rank and authority will trade his *****in an mowning for your talent and a win to expect and know that you will deliver in the unit and in the sport you represent for the unit. At the same time your show boating on the score board. Joe Turd the Rag Man is being schooled and watched and he may get better and loose the name to have the slot replaced by another of his kind or he is I think back in the day called a 6565 form to be processed out for the good of the Corps and not fit or ment to be in military life. Which in short he's doing the sea bag drag out the front gate way before his enlistment is up. At which time you return to the unit short handed and again show your stuff in your MOS and bust arse and make up for your time gone due to Joe Turd the Rag Man slacking off.

Elias B
11-13-08, 03:57 PM
He would love to play football for the Marines, but that's not why he wants to go to the Marines. He's going for change, a furture and as he said "to become a man, dad". I keep thinking as a parent and telling him you need to study, and score high to get a really good MOS, and the reality is he wants to go in and become a grunt. So, recently I've stop fighting him, on what I want him to do, and now just supporting him, in what he wants to do.

Elias B
01-02-10, 02:32 AM

Ee

Update on the kid:

He is now 17 and 215pd, he had graduated from HS and passed his ASVAB, but with a very low score. He's also taken his physical and passed, so where set to sign his release this Saturday (1/3/10).

Thing have turned out a little different than first thought,

1. He's going in as a reserve, ASVAB score below 49. Turns out he wanted to go reserve anyway to go back to school (JC) and play football. He's learned that he needs to stay in school and that he still wants to play ball.

2. The MOS he recieved is (no disrespect to anyone) Cook. At first I was ****ed and thought he could have at least been a rifleman, but turns out everyone is a rifleman. And because he wants to leave to boot asap, he has to take what's open. Also again because his ASVAB score was low, he does not qualifiy for anything else.

In a nutshell things have turned out a little different but overall he's completed HS and is moving forward to becoming a MARINE!

I'm really happy for him and know this will change him in many ways and can't wait to see the change in him.

So, so far so good and I'll update as I can.

Ee

dono
01-02-10, 05:50 AM
Thanks for updating. You said a mouthful - Said it ALL (imp) when tou said "He will be a MARINE!"

I don't know much about MOS in the Corps and what "status" is attached to each. I "think" my son's SDI was a cook. My point is that succeedding in becoming a MARINE opens all sorts of doors.

But, you already know that.:)

Congrats.

Apache
01-02-10, 08:39 AM
Same sceniero many moons ago
I went early and was glad for it (after the initial shock)
The crowd i hung with in early teens-half of them were in prison or jail before I
was on boot leave--------

SmithAdrian
01-02-10, 01:57 PM
Was I misinformed in MRP? I thought the cook MOS was dead...

jack1227
01-02-10, 02:23 PM

Ee

Elias,
Getting right to the point I suggest you talk with your son and ask some questions:

1. Does he have any goals for his life?
2. What is he going to do for the next 5 years?
3. Is he prepared to actually change his life forever by signing up? His circle of friends will never be the same?
During this conversation you should be able to determine if he's just going to hang out until he can do it himself. If so I would encourage you to support his enlisting.
He sounds a bit like me, college was not in my future (my parents never thought about me going to college), I had no ambition because I didn't have a goal.
The USMC will make your son a MAN, no doubt about it!

I should mention that I have a 16 year old Grandson who is already talking to a recruiter and asking a lot of questions. For your son, he should have some patience, I know that's difficult these days with instant gratification being the way today. Send him to a recriuter.

Elias B
01-03-10, 01:04 AM
Jack1227 read page 3, it's an update to what you have quoted in your post. Update he's now 17 and almost completely enlisted.

Ee

pi 53
01-03-10, 09:56 AM
Not all Marines have a combat MOS, however all are considered basic infantry. Combat deployments also need cooks. The advantage of a
cook is always getting enough food to eat. We were kept mean and lean
overseas with no seconds going thru the chow lines. HA Ha :marine:

jack1227
01-04-10, 09:10 AM
Jack1227 read page 3, it's an update to what you have quoted in your post. Update he's now 17 and almost completely enlisted.

Ee
Sorry I didn't read all the posts in the forum before I made my post. But the most important part is done, he's a MARINE!!!

Elias B
01-07-10, 07:25 PM
Son denied because he went to adult night school, which they said was an accelerated program.

So he goes to MEMPS, first day all good, over weight two pounds come back after two days. Came back two days later made weight and just needs to **** test and swear in. They put him up in a hotel room over night come in next day to **** test and swear in, take test all good and right before he goes to swear in the Opps manager for that district reviews his paper work for the 3rd time and said because he graduated early, because he went to a continuation school (where he spent 6hrs a day in real class time) and because he went to night school class (real class time) to graduate early (which we thought was a good thing). The operations manager for LA took him from a tier 1 recruit to a tier 2 recruit and the Marines arent taking tier 2 recruits.

Then to add insult to injury, the recruit says that my son should join the army. After working for over a year and dropping 20pds and completing everything with the exception of being sworn in through MEMPS, they tell him you’re a tier 2 recruit and go join the army.

Sickened beyond earthly words, just plan sick…….don’t know what else to say.

bwmarines18
01-07-10, 07:34 PM
im not the guy to give out advice, but making the decision to join up needs some time. Not just three days. I have wanted to join up since i was 14. Im now 17. And im going to MCRD in 2011-2012, Because I dont know if there will be a wait to ship out. Just make sure its what ur kid wants to do, this isn't like a 40 hour a week job where you can quit if you don't like it, you get to quit when your contracts up. Good luck to your son

Juicemang
01-07-10, 10:31 PM
Son denied because he went to adult night school, which they said was an accelerated program.

So he goes to MEMPS, first day all good, over weight two pounds come back after two days. Came back two days later made weight and just needs to **** test and swear in. They put him up in a hotel room over night come in next day to **** test and swear in, take test all good and right before he goes to swear in the Opps manager for that district reviews his paper work for the 3rd time and said because he graduated early, because he went to a continuation school (where he spent 6hrs a day in real class time) and because he went to night school class (real class time) to graduate early (which we thought was a good thing). The operations manager for LA took him from a tier 1 recruit to a tier 2 recruit and the Marines arent taking tier 2 recruits.

Then to add insult to injury, the recruit says that my son should join the army. After working for over a year and dropping 20pds and completing everything with the exception of being sworn in through MEMPS, they tell him you’re a tier 2 recruit and go join the army.

Sickened beyond earthly words, just plan sick…….don’t know what else to say.

Elias,

Your son needs to be persistent. Marines admire that. Just because of this one bad experience does not mean your son cannot eventually become a Marine. He needs to talk to other recruiters, and be patient. It might take 6 months, or another year, but he will be given the chance to earn the title if he wants it bad enough.

I faced a similar situation. I was all set up to go to MEPS, went there, stayed in the hotel and all that good stuff, and was denied the next day because of a couple alcohol offenses I had as an 18 year old. I had another friend trying to go in through the same recruiter I had a couple weeks later. The recruiter proceeded to tell my friend to stay away from me, that I was bad news, that I was trouble, etc. When I heard that, I was obviously ****ed and decided to prove this recruiter wrong.

I began calling all the different recruiters to see if they could do anything for me. I didn't have any luck for some time. Then one day, a recruiter from Detroit called me, told me he heard about me, and thought it was BS that I was denied. I made the hour drive to Detroit, met with the recruiter, and a few days later I went through MEPS and had a ship date.

My advice is for your son to contact more recruiters and relay his situation to them, and then take whatever advice they give him and run with it. Persistence will always pay off.

Gator347
01-08-10, 01:47 PM
Can he drop the weight & pass a PFT (Not IST)?
I got my son in on a Medical Waiver and I had to find a recruiter that would work with my son.
The more you can make him look good (Desirable) the easier it is.

But remember, the recruiter's job is brutal. Do what you can to make it easier on him.

If he still has issues, think about 15 hrs at a Community College

jack1227
01-08-10, 03:31 PM
I'm going to jump on the bandwagon and say that your son should not give up!!!
It's most definitely worth doing whatever it takes.
Hang in there.
Jack

Yonkers
01-08-10, 04:03 PM
Hope you get the situation sorted and your son gets what he wants.

Elias B
01-08-10, 07:55 PM
Ok I couldn't just sit back and let this go, so this is what I did.

I called the Major for that district and told him what had happened, and long story short he said that if what I had told him was true he would speak to the Opperation manager for that area. But that I need to call the Major for the area that my son was recruited out of.

So I tried to get a hold of the Major for the area where my son was recruit out of. The guy answers the phone and he ask me basicly what I needed, I told him and boom. I'm talking to the Opperations manager who denied my son, I didn't think that was going to happen and was a little superprized.

The OM begins to tell me why and how he come up with his decinsion, which was taken into consideration from three different areas. It all came down to his three different high schools and how he ended up graduationg 4 months early. Let's just say the Marines now adays (at least in Southern Cal) do not take kids that might have education issue or any home study program and for sure NO waivers.

I spoke with him for about 30min and explained to him my son's history and the different moves (mainly because of me and football).

Bottom line is, all I need is a letter from his last school about his education and time spent in class, and then he's GOOD TO GO!

Thank GOD!

And thanks everyone for the advise and support to get this kid out of my house, lol.

Marshall8045
01-09-10, 01:35 AM
well congratulations on getting the situation sorted out. i hope he can get through meps and boot camp and become a brother to us.

i graduated boot about 8 months ago so im pretty fresh out. if he has any questions please feel free to PM me.

Semper FI

MIKECHRY
01-09-10, 04:46 AM
SEE THE RECRUITER TOGETHER. DON'T RUSH INTO AN OPEN CONTRACT. YOU DO HAVE SOME LEVERAGE JUST TAKE YOUR TIME. SINCE HE IS STILL A MINOR YOU HAVE TO SIGN OFF ON EVERYTHING. HIS MOS (military occupational specialty) COULD MAKE A HUGE DIFFERENCE IN HIS CAREER

Yonkers
01-09-10, 06:04 AM
Ok I couldn't just sit back and let this go, so this is what I did.

I called the Major for that district and told him what had happened, and long story short he said that if what I had told him was true he would speak to the Opperation manager for that area. But that I need to call the Major for the area that my son was recruited out of.

So I tried to get a hold of the Major for the area where my son was recruit out of. The guy answers the phone and he ask me basicly what I needed, I told him and boom. I'm talking to the Opperations manager who denied my son, I didn't think that was going to happen and was a little superprized.

The OM begins to tell me why and how he come up with his decinsion, which was taken into consideration from three different areas. It all came down to his three different high schools and how he ended up graduationg 4 months early. Let's just say the Marines now adays (at least in Southern Cal) do not take kids that might have education issue or any home study program and for sure NO waivers.

I spoke with him for about 30min and explained to him my son's history and the different moves (mainly because of me and football).

Bottom line is, all I need is a letter from his last school about his education and time spent in class, and then he's GOOD TO GO!

Thank GOD!

And thanks everyone for the advise and support to get this kid out of my house, lol.

Nice, good job on being persistent! Congrats to you and your son.

Elias B
01-13-10, 06:39 PM
All SWORN IN! and he changed his MOS at the last minute to 0311, instead of a cook. Again not sure if that a good thing, but it's what he wanted from the begining.

March 22nd, is his bootcamp date and my freedom party, lol j/k. I actually think I'll miss the kid.

Ee

Sgt Leprechaun
01-13-10, 06:43 PM
OUTstanding! Congrats!

Yonkers
01-13-10, 07:01 PM
All SWORN IN! and he changed his MOS at the last minute to 0311, instead of a cook. Again not sure if that a good thing, but it's what he wanted from the begining.

March 22nd, is his bootcamp date and my freedom party, lol j/k. I actually think I'll miss the kid.

Ee

Good luck to your son, hes going in the day after my birthday :D

NCOPOWER
01-13-10, 07:06 PM
Tell him good luck. Now he needs to sign up on the site and start sending questions down range.

Dsbarker
01-13-10, 07:36 PM
I would tell him to join...just make sure he gets a job he likes. Recruiters like to put Marines wherever the Marine Corps sees fit...if he joins and does not like it he will get out at age 21 and have free college...he is in a win/win situation.

MarineChick2012
06-10-10, 02:33 AM
I'm 16 and start d.e.p tomorrow the only way you can do it when you 16 is if you graduate when you 17 you cant legally sign up till your 17 and with parent permission but they'll help you get in shape when your 16 if you graduate at 17 and go to boot camp at 17 so if your son wants to do it got to graduate early or wait :flag:

usmcdanno
06-10-10, 08:06 AM
If he's 5'10" and 205, he's overweight. One more problem to tackle. Good luck though.

Lisa 23
06-10-10, 08:39 AM
You do realize that the original post is almost 2 years old, don't you?

11-10-08, 04:02 AM

Ee

Also... that the last post by EliasB was Jan 13th of this year, and that he has now gone to boot camp, and should be graduating soon?

01-13-10, 07:39 PM

Ee

Sgt Leprechaun
06-11-10, 06:22 PM
Heart was in the right place, though. And interesting scoop...albeit a headache of a run on sentence.

usmcdanno
06-11-10, 09:21 PM
Heart was in the right place, though. And interesting scoop...albeit a headache of a run on sentence.

Yep, that was one nasty run-on sentence. However Leprechaun, please be advised that your use of the word "and" to begin one of your sentences is improper grammar as well (not that it always is). Note too that "run-on" is a hyphenated word. Sorry, just had to kick that in there on ya. Your English teacher would be ashamed of you.........................................lol. Semper Fi :sick:

Sgt Leprechaun
06-11-10, 09:52 PM
LOL....So noted!

Hey, I'm not immune to the occassional grammatical screw up either!

usmcdanno
06-11-10, 10:23 PM
Nor am I Leprechaun, nor am I. Just joshing with ya a little. Hell, I'm lucky I can even spell my name! You know how old Gunnys are, always gotta be correcting somebody.

Semper Fi

Sgt Leprechaun
06-12-10, 03:14 AM
Ha! Have no fear, Gunny, I can take a joke. Esp. when I'm the one whose hosing something up. LOL

gkmoz
06-12-10, 09:40 AM
Yepper ! I be havin a simular problem. These youngins call me on it all the time! Lets see ? I had 9th grade english back in 1963-64. And had a T.I.A. ( minor stroke ) back in 1998, and the grammer /puncuation seems to be a side effect ? But like lepprechaun I to can take a joke. Gary / Moz 68-70 USMC:D

Sgt Leprechaun
06-12-10, 05:38 PM
That wasn't grammatically incorrect 'Moz, I have no doubt you talk JUST LIKE YOU WRITE!!!

LOL!!!!!

Elias B
06-14-10, 02:45 AM
Ok latest update, so his bootcamp date got pushed back now like 3 times. What has now become is final date, meaning that they told me for sure the date would not be change again is now 7/26/10. Is has been a very long road for everyone involved, especially his sisters who can't wait from him to leave, LOL.

His weight needs to be at 192pds @ 5'10", he’s at 205, but not to worry I've seen this kid drop 18pds in less than 4wks. I have no doubt he'll make weight and be on his happy way.

Thanks for all the information provided and all the words of encouragement.
E

Lisa 23
06-14-10, 07:50 AM
Well, since your last post in January, I took for granted that he left for boot camp March 22nd like you posted because you didn't mention that he still has weight to lose then.
And if he was supposed to leave March 22nd, shouldn't he have already been at his required weight then?

Elias B
06-14-10, 01:32 PM
Well you would of thought that he would have lost the weight, have is boot date pushed back and kept the weight off. But nope not my kid, he love to keep thing down to the wire.

So now he's waiting for his ICT (PT test i think) and starting to drop weight. Again I know him and how he works out, he'll lose the weight.

E

MPMOM
06-15-10, 12:55 AM
crazy kids lol

Elias B
07-28-10, 01:38 AM
Ok writing this for the second time, webpage timed out on me :/

The kid left for bootcamp 7/27/10 4am, he was ready to go (as ready as you think you can get).

His recruiter said in a couple of days he would call us, but to our surpise he called us that night. We missed his call which went to voice mail, turned out to be a blessing because we were able to play it over and over. His call was about 10sec long and it went like this: This is recruit (his name) I have arrived savely to MSRC in San Diego and my next time I will contact you will be in three weeks, I love you bye. You could hear alot of yelling in the backround, and his DI rushing him to get off the phone. At first I didn't know it was him and I had to reply it. When my wife heard it she cried and asked me why I sent him to the Marines.

So the next day his friends came over, I let them hear the vmail and talked to them for about an hour. After they left, and we went in the house, we both knew we made the right decision in sending him the the MARINES!

I think he'll survive, he made weight, lost 28pds all together and had a pd to spare.

Thanks for all the help and advice, keep you up date when hear anything.

Ee

Zulu 36
07-28-10, 07:09 AM
I'm glad to hear your son arrived OK. The next time you see him, he'll be under max weight by more than one-pound to spare :D

The adventure begins.

micarr57
07-28-10, 09:48 PM
glad to see your son made the trip now the adventure begins
his weight will not be a problem i agree the transformation begins when i went to boot camp i was 17 and half scared ****less he be ok they know what they are doing when myparents came out to wee me graduate they didn't recognize me even when i talked to them visitation day

Elias B
11-21-10, 06:18 PM
The End....

He finally graduated, and yes I almost cried. The boy who is now a man, went from 228pds to 180pds, went from no direction to jumping and moving all at once, went from driving his parents crazy and worried to making us over joyed with his results. I really can't put into words how PROUD we are of him and how much he's changed for the better!

In a nutshell, we are truely blessed that he became a MARINE and what his furture holds.

Again thanks all for the help, and thanks to the MARINES for changing my son.

Thank you GOD for your blessing in my family and GOD bless the MARINES!!!!!!

E

Now to the Airforce for my triplet daughters..

tgwkreu7
11-21-10, 06:31 PM
i was 17 when i joined the Corps best thing that ever happen to me

advanced
11-21-10, 07:03 PM

Proud of your son, why not be proud of your daughters also and make them Marines as well?

hbharrison
11-21-10, 10:00 PM
The End....

He finally graduated, and yes I almost cried. The boy who is now a man, went from 228pds to 180pds, went from no direction to jumping and moving all at once, went from driving his parents crazy and worried to making us over joyed with his results. I really can't put into words how PROUD we are of him and how much he's changed for the better!

In a nutshell, we are truely blessed that he became a MARINE and what his furture holds.

Again thanks all for the help, and thanks to the MARINES for changing my son.

Thank you GOD for your blessing in my family and GOD bless the MARINES!!!!!!

E

Semper FI there proud parents of a Marine...

Sgt Leprechaun
11-22-10, 06:58 PM
Good ending!!!