PDA

View Full Version : Kuwait Liberation

mannysaur
11-08-08, 12:35 PM
On the day I separated from active duty, we were authorised the Kuwait Liberation medal. When I look it up, there are 2 medals, Kuwait lib/Kuwait and Kuwait lib/saudi arabia. What's the difference between the 2. I was there for both desert shield and storm. We crossed the border on the first day of the ground war and was with the fighting force that took the Kuwait International Airport, so I'm assuming I rate the Kuwait lib/kuwait rib/medal. Any help would be appreciated.

Big Jim
11-08-08, 01:29 PM
On the day I separated from active duty, we were authorised the Kuwait Liberation medal. When I look it up, there are 2 medals, Kuwait lib/Kuwait and Kuwait lib/saudi arabia. What's the difference between the 2. I was there for both desert shield and storm. We crossed the border on the first day of the ground war and was with the fighting force that took the Kuwait International Airport, so I'm assuming I rate the Kuwait lib/kuwait rib/medal. Any help would be appreciated.

IF YOU WERE THERE FOR BOTH THE SHIELD AND STORM...YOU RATE THE SOUTHWEST ASIA SERVICE MEDAL. THE BIGGER PART IS IF YOU WERE THERE IN THEATER FOR THE ACTUAL LIBERATION OF KUWAIT...THEN YOU RATE BOTH LIBERATION MEDALS FROM KUWAIT AND FROM SAUDI ARABIA...AND THEY ARE VERY DIFFERENT. MINE ARE ON MY RIBBON BOARD, CHECK THEM OUT.

Sgt Leprechaun
11-11-08, 05:47 AM
Here are the regs for both:

First, the Kuwait Liberation Medal, issued by the Gov't of Kuwait:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4d/Kuwait_Liberation_Medal_%28K%29.jpg

In August of 1995, the Secretary of Defense accepted an offer by the Government of Kuwait to award the Kuwait Liberation Medal to members of the U.S. Armed Forces who participated in Desert Shield/Desert Storm between Aug. 2, 1990 and Aug. 31, 1993. Service members must have participated in one or more of the following areas: Arabian Gulf; Red Sea; Gulf of Oman; that portion of the Arabian Sea north of 10 degrees north latitude and west of 68 degrees east longitude; the Gulf of Aden; or the total land areas of Iraq, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Oman, Bahrain, Qatar and the United Arab Emirates.

These eligiblity periods and locations have been specified by the government of Kuwait and may not be waived. In addition to those requirements, Navy members must meet one or more of the following conditions: been attached to or regularly serving for one or more days with an organization participating in ground/shore operations; or been attached to or regulary serving for one or more days on board a naval vessel directly supporting military operations; or been actually participating as a crew member in one or more aerial flights supporting military operations in areas designated above; or been serving on temporary duty for 30 consecutive days during the period Aug. 2, 1990, to Aug. 31, 1993, in any of the three capacities listed above. This time limit can be waived for personnel participating in actual combat operations.

While that reg may sound confusing, I think this gives better clarification:

To be eligible for this award, U.S. military personnel must have: Served in support of Operation DESERT SHIELD and DESERT STORM between 2 August 1990 and 31 August 1993, in one or more of the following areas: The Persian Gulf; Red Sea; Gulf of Oman; that portion of the Arabian Sea that lies N of 10 degrees N latitude and W of 68 degrees E longitude; Gulf of Aden; or, the total land areas of Iraq, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Oman, Bahrain, Qatar, and United Arab Emirates. Please refer to DoD 1348.33-M for specific individual eligibility requirements.

The KLM-K may be awarded posthumously. The KLM-K follows the Kuwait Liberation Medal from the Government of Saudi Arabia (KLM-SA) in precedence.

Here is the information on the Saudi version:

http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/awards/Image64.gif

Kuwait Liberation Medal - Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
This award, authorized by the Government of Saudi Arabia to members of the Coalition Forces who participated in Operation DESERT STORM and the Liberation of Kuwait. The Deputy Secretary of Defense Memorandum, 7 October 1991, authorized the acceptance and wearing of the Kuwait Liberation Medal by members of the Armed Forces of the U.S.
To be eligible for this award, U.S. military personnel must have: Served in support of Operation DESERT STORM between 17 January 1991 and 28 February 1991, in one or more of the following areas: The Persian Gulf; Red Sea; Gulf of Oman; that portion of the Arabian Sea that lies N of 10 degrees N latitude and W of 68 degrees E longitude; Gulf of Aden; or, the total land areas of Iraq, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Oman, Bahrain, Qatar, and United Arab Emirates. Please refer to DoD 1348.33-M for specific individual eligibility requirements.

Hope that information clears up any questions. The way I read this, is, if you participated in 'just' Desert Storm, you only rate the Saudi version. If you did both Shield/Storm, you rate BOTH versions.

Brian48
03-14-09, 03:22 PM
Just out of curiosity, how does one apply or request for the Kuwait issued one? I participated in both Desert Shield and Storm, but got out of the Corps in late '93, so I was never issued the medal when I was still on active duty. Thanks.