PDA

View Full Version : Singing the praises of our veterans

thedrifter
11-06-08, 08:42 AM
Singing the praises of our veterans

Mary Jane Honegger
November 6, 2008

Veterans Day, Nov. 11, is a day set aside to honor those who gave their lives in service to our country and the sacrifices of those who fought for our freedom.

Through the years, I've attended many Veterans Day ceremonies and am especially inspired when a member of each military branch steps forward, presents their flag, and then stands at attention while their military song is played. Often those in the audience who have served are asked to stand when the music of the branch of the military they served under is played. It is a powerful ceremony. Both pride and tears are often seen in the eyes of those who have served as they hear their military songs once again.

Last week, my 8-year-old granddaughter told me she had some songs to sing for me and stood and sang a few lines from each of the U.S. military branches. I was surprised as she sang the songs, one after another.

"First to fight for the right,

And to build the Nation's might,

And The Army Goes Rolling Along."

"From the Halls of Montezuma,

To the shores of Tripoli,

We fight our country's battles,

On the land as on the sea."

I was amazed.

Her recital, songs learned for a Veterans Day program, and the strong emotions I've seen these inspirational songs evoke, motivated me to learn more about them.

According to the United States Department of Veterans Affairs, each branch of the U.S. Armed Forces maintains its own military marching band to inspire troops and preserve tradition through songs or hymns that represent the individual histories and traditions of America 's Armed Forces.

U.S. Army: During a long march in the Philippines, Lt. Edmund L. "Snitz" Gruber, a member of the U.S. Field Artillery Corps, overheard an officer roar "Come on! Keep 'em Rolling!" That night Gruber wrote "The Caisson Song." Fellow soldiers helped with the lyrics and the song became a popular marching tune.

During the last days of World War I, senior U.S. Army artillery leaders asked John Phillip Sousa to compose the melody into an official song. His rendition remained a popular, but unofficial song. Following an unsuccessful contest to find an official song for the U.S. Army song in 1948, "The Caisson Song" was renamed "The Army Goes Rolling Along," and became the copyrighted song of the U.S. Army in 1956.

U.S. Marine Corps: It is believed the melody of "The Marines' Hymn" was taken from "Genevieve de Brabant," an aria composed by Jacques Offenbach (1819-1880). According to legend, an officer wrote the first verse of the Hymn on duty in the Mexican War (1846-1848). Meant to highlight the various campaigns of the Marines, the unknown author edited the words from the Marines' colors and added them to Offenbach's melody.

Continuing custom, every campaign the Marines participate in gives birth to a new, unofficial verse. The song has been the official anthem of the Marines since 1929.

U.S. Navy: Lt. Charles A. Zimmerman, the U.S. Navy bandmaster from 1887 to 1916, started the practice of composing a march for each graduating class. However, none of these tunes really caught on. In 1906, Zimmerman was asked to write a "piece of music that would be inspiring, one with swing to it so it could be used as a football marching song, and one that would live forever."

Together, Zimmerman and Midshipman Alfred Hart Miles composed the tune and lyrics that became "Anchors Aweigh," dedicated to the class of 1907. The march later became the official song of the U.S. Navy.

U.S. Air Force: In 1938, more than 700 scores were submitted in a contest to find an official song for the Army Air Corps. "The Army Air Corps," written by Robert Crawford was selected in 1939. When the Air Corps became a separate branch in 1947, Crawford's march changed names to "The U.S. Air Force." Since that time, the first line of "Nothing'll stop the U.S. Air Force" has become a motto and tradition.

U.S. Coast Guard: The Coast Guard's motto of Semper Paratus or "Always Ready" was officially recognized in 1910, and thenceforth appeared on the ensign. In 1922, Captain Francis S. Van Boskerck was inspired to write an official U.S. Coast Guard song that would rival "Anchor's Aweigh" or "The Caisson Song." While in the cabin of his cutter Yamacraw, stationed in Savannah, Ga., Boskerck wrote the lyrics for "Semper Paratus." Five years later, while stationed in the Aleutian Islands, Boskerck composed the accompanying music.

This Veterans Day, take time to reach out to our nation's veterans and offer tangible thanks for the sacrifices they made. Attend a memorial celebration at a local school or veteran's organization, or just shake the hand of a veteran you know and thank them for their service. Consider donating to an organization that offers support and services to our returning veterans.

Ellie

thedrifter
11-06-08, 08:45 AM
Sharing Thoughts & Showing Support on Veterans Day - The VetFriends.com Veterans Day Online Forum & Parade Directory

VetFriends.com has created an online Veterans Day Forum along with an online Veterans Day parade/events directory. Both are free for all visitors to view and submit information to. VetFriends.com supports all of our veteran brothers and sisters, active and reserve military of the U.S. Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines and Coast Guard.

Charleston, SC (PRWEB) November 6, 2008 -- With Veterans Day approaching, VetFriends.com - the largest Web site reuniting U.S. veterans - is reaching out and asking all Americans to take a moment to reflect on the sacrifices and bravery of all who have served our country in times of need. To promote and support U.S. veterans, VetFriends.com has created an online Veterans Day parade/events directory along with a Veterans Day online forum free for all visitors to view and submit information to.

The VetFriends.com Veterans Day parade/events directory at www.vetfriends.com/parades highlights the locations, dates and times of the Holiday's events. Moreover, coordinators and visitors can submit and register parades and events that may not yet be listed on the site. All listings will be posted on VetFriends.com for over 150,000 visitors per month to view, and circulated through a member newsletter reaching an additional 80,000 people nationwide. With these efforts, VetFriends.com hopes to encourage people across the nation to come together and support U.S. veterans.

The online Veterans Day forum at www.vetfriends.com/veteransday, allows visitors to read the personal comments and insights of what Veterans Day means to our U.S. veterans, active and reserve military, along with their family and friends. In addition, VetFriends.com welcomes all users to post and share their own thoughts on the significance of Veterans Day. U.S. veteran R. Zelonis writes to the forum:

"I thank you veterans for not being selfish with your lives and believing in our nation's freedom. May we laugh, cry and remember on this day, Nov. 11, our experiences and memories."

Other features available on VetFriends.com include: search the member database of over 890,000 people to make contact with old friends; information on how to obtain military records and medals; message boards; upload past and present photos; military jokes; search and post reunions; military products and discounts; along with a variety of other features and services.

Founded in 2000 by Marine Corps veteran of Desert Storm, Dale F. Sutcliffe, thousands of people have been reconnected through VetFriends.com, spanning from World War II through to Operation Desert Storm and the present.

Ellie