PDA

View Full Version : Spoken like a champ

thedrifter
11-03-08, 08:16 AM
Spoken like a champ
Ashanti Curry wins national speech contest
November 2, 2008 - 8:03PM
SUZANNE ULBRICH

For most people, giving a speech is right up there with getting a root canal.

But for eighth-grader Ashanti Curry, public speaking is a pleasure - and one that's brought her a national award.

The New Bridge Middle School pupil received national recognition when she earned third place in the Modern Woodmen of America's 2008 School Speech Contest.

The annual speech contest, started in 1948, was designed to help pupils develop confidence, improve self esteem and gain better communication and research skills. Pupils from all over the country competed.

"More than 100,000 students competed this year, and only 24 advanced to the national judging in June," said Billy Ashford, a financial representative for Modern Woodmen.

The topic each year is chosen by the organization, a national provider of fraternal financial services and programs. This year's topic was "An American Landmark."

Ashanti chose to speak about the history and legacy of Montford Point training camp, which began in 1942 as the training camp for black Marines.

"I talked about how the African-American Marines weren't able to fight here, because they were told they were not good enough. About how they were sent to Parris Island to train, and were not treated the same, and how tough the conditions were for the recruits," Ashanti said. "After all the hard work they all became Marines because they knew the future of the black Marines in the Marine Corps depended on them. They never gave up.

"They knew failure was not an option - I said that at the end of my speech."

Ashford presented Ashanti with a medal, two plaques - one for herself and one for the school - and a $1,000 annuity which will be held until her 18th birthday. As a national champion, she was invited to speak this summer at a Montford Point Marines convention.

Assistant Superintendent of Onslow County Schools Leslie Eason heard Ashanti's speech several times during the course of the competition.

"I think I was there when Ashanti gave her speech at the district, county and regional levels, and each time she made her speech she got better and was more passionate," she said. "People don't realize just how difficult (public speaking) is, and when you see how many in our school system compete and enjoy it ... They make us so proud."

Each year pupils in kindergarten through eighth grade in the Onslow County school system participate in the contest.

Michele Halley, the contest coordinator, said all fifth-grade pupils are required to compete, and from that point it is optional, though many continue to stay involved after the first year.

"Watching all the children and how hard they work and what they come up with, it's amazing," Halley said. "It's great that they get to choose the content, it's so much more personal for them. They all compete to win, but they also support each other ... It's awesome to watch them, and it's from the heart."

Ashanti reached the regional level in 2007 and won second place.

She has already started to work on next year's speech. The theme is "A person who has touched many lives."

She is keeping the subject of her speech top secret, at least for now.

Contact Topsail area reporter Suzanne Ulbrich at sulbrich@freedomenc.com or 910-219-8454.

Ellie