PDA

View Full Version : Medal of Honor recipient praises young Americans

thedrifter
11-01-08, 08:13 AM
Medal of Honor recipient praises young Americans
By Nick Brown
Sentinel & Enterprise
Article Launched:11/01/2008 06:00:27 AM EDT

FITCHBURG -- Medal of Honor recipient Maj. Gen. James Livingston urged students to honor veterans' sacrifices through strong future leadership Friday at Montachusett Regional Vocational Technical School's Veterans' Day Ceremony.

"You are all part of the newest, greatest generation," Livingston, a retired Marine, said to students in a packed Dukakis Center auditorium. "Think of the people in the world that are free today because of young Americans just a little older than you. I'm proud to pass the sacrifice of our veterans on to this generation."

Livingston, a retired Marine, received the Congressional Medal of Honor in 1970 for withstanding heavy fire and refusing medical treatment despite multiple wounds while leading his troops to safety in Vietnam in 1968.

First Sgt. Paul Jornet kicked the ceremony off energetically when he repelled to the stage from the rafters.

Jornet has directed the school's ROTC program for five years.

"I'm very proud of this year's ROTC students," Jornet said. "They're really an impressive group of kids. If you talk to them, you realize that."

Jornet began the ceremony by chronicling the United States' war history. Students dressed as soldiers in the Revolutionary War, War of 1812, Civil War and World War I, represented the sacrifices soldiers made during those periods, Jornet said.

He then introduced living local veterans from World War II, the Korean War, the Vietnam War, the Gulf War and the current war in Iraq.

State Rep. Stephen DiNatale, D-Fitchburg, Ashburnham Town Administrator Kevin Paicos and Ken Jones, chief of staff to Fitchburg Mayor Lisa Wong, were among the veterans honored on stage.

The International Veterans' Chorus, which included members from Great Britain, Japan and Hungary, sang anthems for the Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, Coast Guard and Merchant Marines, as ROTC students representing each military branch filed on-stage.

Listeners erupted in applause when Livingston emerged from backstage in an authentic 1953 Korean War U.S. Army Jeep.

Monty Tech Superintendent James Culkeen said the Jeep held broad significance.

"It's not only a display of what our Auto Body students can do -- which is excellent work -- but we hope it's also seen as a tribute to generations of veterans," Culkeen said.

Livingston reminded ROTC students to honor the vets that came before them.

"Look at the choice you've made to serve your country, and then reflect back on the veterans on stage today," Livingston said. "You realize that they're the reason you're able to make the choice you've made."

Livingston, born and raised in Georgia, said after the ceremony that, contrary to most Americans, he believes the country is headed in the right direction.

"When people tell me it's not in good shape, I usually say things that aren't too nice," he said. "I'm very impressed with the young people today. If adults just try to work with them, they do a great job with things."

Livingston highlighted his faith in American youth by telling the story of Jack Lucas, a World War II veteran who joined the Marines at age 14.

"Jack landed in Iwo Jima when he was only 16 and was wounded right away," Livingston said. "He had over 200 pieces of shrapnel in him. But he kept fighting, saved his fellow Marines, and when he came home, he got his high school diploma as the youngest Medal of Honor winner in history. That's an example of what young people can do."

Lucas died earlier this year.

Livingston's only political comment came during his reflection on the Vietnam War.

"There are a lot of comments about losses, but we didn't choose that war and we didn't lose that war," Livingston said sharply. "The Vietnam War was lost in Washington. That's what happens when you don't have a commitment to win from Washington."

Students from the school's cabinet-making program presented Livingston with a clock they made in class.

Fitchburg Mayor Lisa Wong called Friday's ceremony a "wonderful event," and said she was "proud" to see her chief of staff honored on stage.

"The discipline Ken (Jones) learned in the military makes him well-suited to help me move forward an agenda of engagement and compassion," Wong said.

Jones, who served in Vietnam in 1971-72, said the ceremony gave him a sense of "respect."

"Being on stage with someone like (Livingston), it was a thrill to be next to that kind of hero," Jones said.

Paicos echoed Jones' words.

"It's just an incredible honor to be in the same spot as a Medal of Honor winner, and I hope he receives a strong salute," Paicos said.

State Sen. Stephen Brewer, D-Barre, and State Rep. Robert Rice, D-Gardner, also attended the event.

Culkeen closed the ceremony by urging students to develop an innate sense of respect for veterans.

"We respect these men and women simply because, as Americans, that is what we do."

Ellie