PDA

View Full Version : Recruit dad here

Pages : [1] 2

dono
10-31-08, 06:09 AM
My son is on T4 at Parris Island. He was in DEP for almost a year and is entering as Reserve. His goal after training is college and PLC for a commission upon graduation.

I'm on a couple of other forums, but this one seems to be where there is some real knowledge. So, if anyone has something to say about this, I'd appreciate it.

We did discuss this with our recruiter - he's a great man, but sometimes just a little hazy about the details that I was looking for. And that's OK. My son understood that nothing is guaranteed until he proves himself worthy and is accepted. He understands that and is gung ho to do the work that's right before him, right now.

0231Marine
10-31-08, 07:26 AM
Welcome Don!

If you would like to post your questions on here, we Marines would be happy to help answer any that we can. There are some former recruiters and drill instructors that frequent these forums as well and will likely be able to shed some light on those hazy answers your sons recruiter provided.

Anyways, welcome again and keep us posted on your sons progress!

dono
10-31-08, 07:59 AM
I thank you for the welcome. My first question is about the process for getting accepted in PLC. His test scores (sorry, I do not know the acronym name of it) evidently led the recruiter to suggest that.

What we were told is that it is not required to BE a Marine to get in, but, it is a very positive factor in the selection process. Since my son had no idea of what he wanted to do in college anyway, he saw this a a goal to strive for.

I told him that he had to understand and accept that he is now obligated to his service, regardless. He absolutely did understand that.

I think he was to have some interviews before he left for PI. I don't know if that happened or not.

One other general question - on other boards we are cautioned to be discrete about discussing out recruit's business. I have a little progress report already; but I hesitate to share it, in case it might make things more difficult for him.

What guidelines do I need to be observing in how much I share?

sfdsmokeeater
10-31-08, 08:35 AM
You made a good point on "doing the work" before him, because first he has to work, to transform into a Marine. I cannot think of anything else I wanted to do since I was around 12 or so years old. I...

SupChf
10-31-08, 09:06 AM
Everything you need to know about PLC (the dates for classes are off, but the general info is there). Welcome and keep the questions coming. We are all glad to help!!

http://www.carolinamarineofficer.com/PLC.html

Gunz out ~

DevsDad
10-31-08, 09:18 AM
Always good to see another of us dads here Don. The Marines here are indeed a wealth of information. What I like the most is that they are direct and to the point about answering.
As far as information sharing, I wouldnt be to concerned about sharing most any news while your son is at boot. The guys like to hear about recruits trials and tribulations. Remember they have all been there so I doubt your son will be unique in his experiences. Except the uniquness shared by wanting to become one of the Few and the Proud!
Good luck to your Recruit on his journey towards Marine.
Watch out for the Grunts here though.. they are a fiesty bunch! :) LOL

ScottsMom
10-31-08, 09:33 AM
I didn't find this site until after my son became a Marine, I was also on other forums. I must say though, I truly love this site, I don't post much, but do a lot of reading and everyone here seems to be very helpful as well as very, very supportive. The pride you will feel on Graduation day can not be put into words. Good luck to your son and welcome aboard!

dono
10-31-08, 09:39 AM
If he makes that his goal, not for self but for his country, he will gain more out of it than he can dream of and that will steer him in right direction for life after the Corps.
Sfdsmokeeater

OOH-RAH

Just between us, I look at our political situation with dismay and some dread for the future. I see my fellow Americans going along in blissful ignorance about what this country is about and whence the blessings of liberty flow. But, I look with confidence on what the Marines are all about, not only as a fighting force, but as a preserver of the values that formed and so far, have preserved this nation.

An 18 year old's goals are somewhat limited by lack of lived experience. My son can say "serve my country" with the best of 'em. Now, he begins to learn how to walk the walk.

dono
10-31-08, 09:46 AM
I wouldnt be to concerned about sharing most any news while your son is at boot. The guys like to hear about recruits trials and tribulations. LOL

OK. Here goes. We received the form letter with address on Wednesday. There is space for a note and he wrote, "I'm guide."

I told that to a Marine I work with and he rather dismissed it. Said, "One day the DI hired and fired the guide every two hours." Our recruiter, otoh, was very pleased and excited when I told him about it.

So, I guess I need to ask what gives with this? How is that position assigned? What is the job description?

dono
10-31-08, 09:49 AM
Everything you need to know about PLC (the dates for classes are off, but the general info is there). Welcome and keep the questions coming. We are all glad to help!!

Outstanding. Yes. All the answers are there. But, I'm going to hang in here, anyway. It looks like a great board!

Thank you, sir.

Gator347
10-31-08, 12:03 PM
I didn't find this site until after my son became a Marine, I was also on other forums. I must say though, I truly love this site, I don't post much, but do a lot of reading and everyone here seems to be very helpful as well as very, very supportive. The pride you will feel on Graduation day can not be put into words. Good luck to your son and welcome aboard!

Send him ALL the mail that you have time for. We averaged over one per day. Send news, jokes, pictures, and be creative.

You will see on Graduation Day. The Corps knows what they are doing:thumbup:

0231Marine
10-31-08, 12:24 PM
OK. Here goes. We received the form letter with address on Wednesday. There is space for a note and he wrote, "I'm guide."

I told that to a Marine I work with and he rather dismissed it. Said, "One day the DI hired and fired the guide every two hours." Our recruiter, otoh, was very pleased and excited when I told him about it.

So, I guess I need to ask what gives with this? How is that position assigned? What is the job description?

Don,

It is true, that the guide position for each platoon in bootcamp is highly coveted by all recruits who want to excel and be recognized. It is also true that the Drill Instructors will change the guide on a whim or when ever they feel is appropriate. Many times, it is because they want to see what each individual has as far as leadership qualities when they are given the opportunity. The fact that your son was given the guide position this early is a good sign that he impressed his drill instructors but keep in mind that this early in boot camp, the chances of him loosing the position are increased. Tell him that if that happens, keep his head up and press forward. In my experience, the real guide for the platoon, the one that will finish as guide and be promoted meritoriously rises to the top during the rifle range where he is a good shooter and pt's well. As long as he stays motivated and continues to excell, he has a real good chance of recieving the position back later on in boot camp.

0231Marine
10-31-08, 12:29 PM
Regarding PLC, one of my best friends went through it following college. We were freshman together when 9/11 happened and I dropped out and enlisted in the Marine Corps. He stayed and after his junior year, he went through the summer program for PLC. Then following graduation the next year, he finished the course and was commissioned a 2nd Lt. He's now a 1st Lt learing to fly Harriers in Mississippi...needless to say, I'm jealous :)

Long story short, your son doesn't have to be a Marine to go to PLC. Once he graduates bootcamp and has some time in the Corps, he can apply for MECEP (http://nrotc.ou.edu/mecep.html) and if he's accepted, he'll go through the Naval Academy and pin on 2nd Lt. PLC is the other obvious option if he decided to get out and finish his college.

quillhill
10-31-08, 12:51 PM
It's my understanding that this thread in the Pool(ee) Hall is informative regarding the PLC program:

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35882

I'm not a parent, so I can't imagine how it feels to go through the experience from that perspective, but my buddy Josh (joshtky here on leatherneck) left Sept. 8, he is on T40 today -- it's rifle qual time for him. I know I'm pretty darn proud of him. :)

Good luck to you and your recruit on the journey, I've read it's quite a roller coaster for parents.

dono
10-31-08, 04:14 PM
Thanks to all for the prompt and very helpful replies.
I am very grateful for the ability to connect with people who know the ropes.

dono
11-01-08, 03:10 PM
Don,

It is true, that the guide position for each platoon in bootcamp is highly coveted by all recruits who want to excel and be recognized. It is also true that the Drill Instructors will change the guide on a whim or when ever they feel is appropriate.

And so it goes. We received his first real letter today (T5). Short, but upbeat - said the pace is crazy, food is good and the week flew by.

He did get fired from Guide and is now a squad leader.

Whatever all that means, one thing for sure, they know his name! And that's OK. He told me before he left that he rejected the suggestion he got from some, to keep the low profile. He said he was going to give it his best effort.

dono
11-02-08, 12:04 PM
I understand that recruits have the choice to attend chapel. And that Sunday is not counted as a training day. But, beyond that, is Sunday different from the rest of the days?

dono
11-02-08, 07:30 PM
Maybe premature for a new recruit, but it came to mind, so here's another.

I believe I read that direct deposit of pay is required. And our recruiter said that my son (who will be Reserve) can opt in for full medical with a payroll deduction.

I see on the training matrix that there are several classes on direct deposit. Does this include some financial planning information? I tried to help him learn to manage his money, including saving. He was good at saving for a specific goal - sounds for his car, clothes, ipod, phone, etc. But he hasn't yet seen the wisdom of beginning early to start socking away $$ for 20 - 40 years down the road.

I spent almost 19 years (he's 19 today) trying to tell him that he had a lot to learn. I am so happy that he's now going to get that lesson from the men who have that down.

j/k (a little. He's a fine boy - better than most, imo. But, now gets the chance to be among the best.

SGT7477
11-02-08, 07:45 PM
I understand that recruits have the choice to attend chapel. And that Sunday is not counted as a training day. But, beyond that, is Sunday different from the rest of the days?

Yes they do have a choice to go to church and when I was in Sunday's did count as training days. BTW the DI's were as tough on Sunday as any other day and sometimes worse,lol.:flag:

ecom
11-02-08, 09:14 PM
Maybe premature for a new recruit, but it came to mind, so here's another.

I believe I read that direct deposit of pay is required. And our recruiter said that my son (who will be Reserve) can opt in for full medical with a payroll deduction.

I see on the training matrix that there are several classes on direct deposit. Does this include some financial planning information? I tried to help him learn to manage his money, including saving. He was good at saving for a specific goal - sounds for his car, clothes, ipod, phone, etc. But he hasn't yet seen the wisdom of beginning early to start socking away $$ for 20 - 40 years down the road.

Direct deposit is required and they will help him set up a checking and savings account for direct deposit at a bank or credit union depending on where he goes to boot camp. He cannot use a pre-existing bank account there or elsewhere.

I don't remember the direct deposit class to be honest, but I think it would just explain the basics of how direct deposit works.

There is also a class about Thrift Savings Plan which is the equivalent of a 401K but there is no matching, but on the other hand retirees do get a pension. There are several funds you can buy into here which are managed by the US Dept of Agriculture so the expense ratios are very low. I don't remember what they are though, I think there is a money market, a bond and 3 stock funds.

I think most young people, Marines or not, are a bit myopic when it comes to saving for the long term. I was until I went into the Marines and got my first job with steady income. I started a Roth IRA, created an emergency fund, and bought into a bunch of mutual funds. There were still people who never changed and were broke within days of getting paid for years on end. It was not uncommon to see a 20 year old $20k in debt, partying every weekend and have less than $10 in his bank account 1 week after payday.

I was not an am not financially well off nor independently wealthy. My main priority was that I didn't want to live paycheck to paycheck and later I wanted my transition back to civilian life to be as smooth as possible and not have to worry about my financial situation when the time came.

dono
11-03-08, 06:24 AM
Good stuff, ecom. I did find the TSP online and it looks like a good option. Of course the main thing is to get started early with something as early in life as possible. And all I can tell him is to consider it. Hopefully, he is smarter that I was, who did not take my Daddy's same advice.

dono
11-03-08, 06:28 PM
I was asked to post progress reports and I am pleased to say that we receive our second letter today. It was written on Friday, postmarked on Saturday and in my Monday mail.

No griping. Says life at PI is "not that bad." Talked about a lot of drill and classes and getting really sleepy but has not fallen asleep in class. Commented again on the food (good). I'm betting because he is experiencing for the first time in his life being really hungry and not being able to immediately jam something down his pie hole.

Nothing about PT, which I take as a good thing. He left here in very good shape.

Only downer was that he had not received any of my mail. I expect he should have on Saturday, or surely, today.

That is all.

mgkusmc
11-03-08, 06:49 PM
Sometimes mail takes a little bit, for the first 2 weeks on Parris Island I didnt receive any mail and then it started pouring in. And sometimes mail does get delayed down there and other times it gets in quick. I got a letter from my father in Ohio that had been postmarked just the day before. And then there was the letter from my recruiter where it was postmarked the first week of bootcamp and I didnt recieve it till the week of graduation lol. But write every day even if it is nothing important you have to write about, my uncle about the 3rd week of bootcamp started sending my several letters every day and most of the times it was about a commericial he saw on tv or about a day trip to cinncinatti nothing exciting but it let me know the world still moved back home.

dono
11-03-08, 08:20 PM
I was aware that the mail can be chancy and I believe the recruits was as well. I have mailed one every day since I got his address and I told him that I might run out of news. But. surprisingly, so far I've not had any problem. I copy and paste comics and also jokes I can find on the internet. Also, news about his high school football team who is in the playoffs. And the latest on our beleaguered and beloved Tennessee Volunteers.

Somewhere, I read somebody saying you shouldn't be sending too much mail, because it calls attention to the recruit. That sounded dumb to me; so I ignored that.

mgkusmc
11-03-08, 08:56 PM
Just remember attention is good and you should tell your son this too in your next letter when he finds himself on the quarterdeck getting punished (and he will be on the quarterdeck, every recruit experiences the quarterdeck....some like myself experienced it daily) tell him to just tell himself "Its not a punishment cause it makes me stronger" and its true.

What company is your son in, and maybe some of the guys on the forum can send him some motivational mail.

mgkusmc
11-03-08, 08:58 PM
OH! And one more thing, SAVE every letter he sends you! Trust me it will mean alot to him when he can look back and read them.

I have a box that has every letter I sent home along with every letter I received while in boot and while overseas

dono
11-03-08, 09:25 PM
Saved they will be. And I write mine on computer and will save them to a jump drive for backup. I appreciate the suggestion to see if some of the fellows might write. But, I'm not sure I'd post it in the forum. I assume we have PM on this board?

Or my e-mail is drw509@embarqmail.com

dono
11-03-08, 09:30 PM
Just remember attention is good and you should tell your son this too in your next letter when he finds himself on the quarterdeck getting punished (and he will be on the quarterdeck, every recruit experiences the quarterdeck....some like myself experienced it daily) tell him to just tell himself "Its not a punishment cause it makes me stronger" and its true.

He told me he was rejecting the suggestion that some gave him to keep a low profile, never volunteer and hope they don't know your name. That last one went out the door first day on the Island when he was made Guide.

I do believe his recruiter gave him a very good picture of what to expect. And as I said above, he reported in very good shape. He said his last IST before he left was 2 points shy of a perfect score, whatever that means.

And yes - I am passing on all the good input I am getting from this board. It is much appreciated.

ecom
11-04-08, 03:42 AM
Explanation of the IST: http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marinejoin/l/blist.htm (http://www.*************/military-fitness/marine-corps-fitness-requirements/marine-corps-fitness-test)

dono
11-04-08, 05:07 AM
That link did not work. I know what the IST is - a set of exercises with standards, I just was not sure of the exact numbers and what a near "perfect" score means. And, as always, thanks to all who read my stuff and answer back. I appreciate it.

quillhill
11-04-08, 01:44 PM
My friend Josh has told me that there is no such thing as too much mail, Don, and he's in the eighth week of training.
At first it was hard and I thought, man, how am I gonna keep up mail enough (I send out six to eight letters a week) through the next 10 weeks -- I got the first letter from him two weeks in because obviously he sent the form letter to his mom.
But I have found tons of stuff out there, questionnaires, jokes, inspirational quotes, motivational stories. I send him articles, news about college football (he's an Alabama fan and sports fan in general), and just tell him about what I'm up to. I've gotten into a rhythm where I write three days a week which generates two letters each time usually. In the last letter Josh sent he said the volume of mail was appreciated.

There's a great thread in The Slop Chute section here on this board called Chuckles of the Day. I've been going through and copying and pasting (thedrifter finds some great jokes out there, thanks Ellie!) those jokes into a document file then printing them up.

There's a couple other sites you might want to visit:
www.recruitparents.com (http://www.recruitparents.com) and parrisisland.yuku.com

:)

dono
11-04-08, 08:14 PM
Thanks for the post and the suggestions. I already snagged a couple for the current letter.

ecom
11-05-08, 03:46 AM
I remember my friend once sent me a letter and used a happy birthday postage stamp on the envelope. Man did I get hammered on the quarterdeck for that. It didn't matter my birthday was some 5 months away and well after graduation.

dono
11-05-08, 11:43 AM
So far, I have only used "Liberty Bell" stamps. Hope the D.I.'s like the Liberty Bell!

quillhill
11-05-08, 12:29 PM
So far, I have only used "Liberty Bell" stamps. Hope the D.I.'s like the Liberty Bell!

When I first bought stamps, the lady in the post office asked what kind of stamps I wanted, and I said 'the plainest, most basic stamps you've got.'

So that got me a book of the Liberty Bell (aka "Forever") stamps which seems fine since those are the same stamps Josh is using on letters he's sending out.

0231Marine
11-05-08, 01:00 PM
Bake the drill instructors cookies and send them to your son! We had a recruit who's brother had been in the Marine Corps for 2 years already. He sent his brother brownies and they were addressed to the Drill Instructors with hugs and kisses! That kid didn't sleep for 3 days!

On second though, just write him letters...lol

ecom
11-05-08, 02:14 PM
We had one guy who received a letter that addressed to LCpl Joe Schmoe instead of Rec. He was on the quarterdeck for about 10 minutes and in the dirt pit outside for another 30.

The Liberty Bell stamps should be fine. The happy birthday stamp just stood out and implied that my birthday might have been coming up and I received an early birthday present I suppose.

dono
11-05-08, 05:50 PM
Speaking of birthdays - my recruit's was on Monday. He had strictly charged us tosend NO birthday cards. I did cut and paste a clip art cake on a letter, though. <br />
<br />
And speaking of brownies - I am a...

dono
11-05-08, 06:01 PM
I said I would share updates. I'm not sure if all I know needs to be told. If this is out of line, I hope a moderator will delete it.

Today is T8 - we got our second real letter and things are going well for him. He's getting my mail now. He did share that two recruits had experienced the UCMJ up close and personal. Article 91 and Article 86. One tried to run away and the other told a D.I. - "F you."

My boy said, "Sucks to be them."

He also sent a letter for me to deliver to his recruiter which I did.

ecom
11-05-08, 08:53 PM
I did have recruits in my platoon that received boxes of baked goods such as brownies and cookies. If you may want to send enough for the entire platoon. We did not get in any trouble for that but that really depends on the SDI and DIs.

marinemama
11-05-08, 09:24 PM
Happy to hear things are going well for him. The letters will get better and better! January 16th will be here in no time and you will be so proud!

Happy birthday to your son, my oldest had a birthday on Monday too.

dono
11-06-08, 11:50 AM
First go with pugil sticks - he won both his fights and put his opponent on the ground in the second one. Says he's ALWAYS hungry. Has to eat last and has no time. I hope he's figured out some of the tips and tricks I read here about how to maximize the input. I'll have to find that again and include it in next letter out.

dono
11-06-08, 11:56 AM
I don't know how to report abuse on this board. Maybe someone can help me. I know there is an "ignore" feature. But, here's someone who obviously has no connection that I care to make. I really like this board and would like to help keep it swept up from junk like this

Here's the PM that just hit my inbox. (user name is seboni)

Dearest one,
How are you and your working activities?hope you are fine in good health condition.l felt greatly impressed and convince after going through your profile that is why l have decided to contact you.l have something very important and urgent which l will like to discuss with you and l will like you to contact me through my private email address ( seboni_3@yahoo.co.nz (seboni_3@yahoo.co.nz) ) l will send you my picture as well. Take good care of yourself and may God bless you.
Regards.
Savannah Eboni.

marinemama
11-06-08, 12:13 PM
I just got one as well...she must be busy sending them to everyone...same message as you received. deleted...I hate spam!

dono
11-06-08, 05:00 PM
I just got one as well...she must be busy sending them to everyone...same message as you received. deleted...I hate spam!

I found a way to contact the admin of the board "contact us" (duh) so I won't be cluttering up the threads like that with such nonsense any more.

dono
11-14-08, 05:19 AM
The letters are coming pretty regularly - more than I expected. Says he LOVES drill and carrying the weapon. Always hungry and not enough time at chow. Our recruiter called me last night just to check in. I liked hearing from him. I haven't gotten any whining or griping, which makes me proud that he's dealing with things as they are. Next week is their Swim Week.

0231Marine
11-14-08, 06:33 AM
Great to hear!!! He sounds like he's handling everything well and not taking anything to personally.

Hi can promise that he'll be ready to get rid of that rifle at the end of bootcamp...lol

SGT7477
11-14-08, 07:25 AM
The letters are coming pretty regularly - more than I expected. Says he LOVES drill and carrying the weapon. Always hungry and not enough time at chow. Our recruiter called me last night just to check in. I liked hearing from him. I haven't gotten any whining or griping, which makes me proud that he's dealing with things as they are. Next week is their Swim Week.

The memories,lol, we had times in boot camp when the DI'S jump on the tables and said get out of my chow hall and times you had the tray in your hands and they screamed get out, could it have been weight control?:evilgrin:

dono
11-14-08, 11:25 AM
Letter today said they got steak, shrimp. cake and pie on MC birthday and he's figured out getting chow with an eye to how fast it can be consumed. Chicken wings - No. Rice - Yes.

ecom
11-14-08, 08:48 PM
Yeah, it didn't take me long to figure that one out. Basically get stuff that didn't have bones or foods that require cutting. Baked chicken versus hamburger steak...gotta go for the hamburger steak. I did get in trouble once for cutting my food with my fork though. I didn't use a knife on a regular basis until boot camp and I still don't.

Scottie0417
11-15-08, 12:42 AM
We weren't allowed to use two hands in the chow hall until third phase so whenever I had a piece of meat it was usually too tough to cut with a fork so I'd have to stick my fork in the middle and eat around it.

dono
11-15-08, 10:06 AM
He's not mentioned the one-hand thing; but did say "Feet flat on the floor at a 45 degree angle; chest to the table; bring the chow to your mouth, not your disgusting fat face to the chow!"

dono
11-15-08, 08:13 PM
Already have nine family and friends planning to come. It could end up being 16 to twenty. We could need a minimum of four rooms and as many as seven or eight. I need suggestions / guidance on where to stay. I've heard of the Osprey Inn on base - that it can be booked only 15 days in advance.

Ahould I just find hotels / motels in Beaufort and inquire with them?

Some of us will be coming on Wednesday and the rest on Thursday. I volunteered to try to coordinate arrangements and I'm looking for help.

I posted w/o looking over the rest of the forum, so forgive me if the info is already here. But, I like my data as fresh as I can get it. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

dono
11-17-08, 11:48 AM
I've got some lines on places to stay for graduation. We received TWO letters today. He's the only original squad leader left and was expressing some dissatisfaction with the motivation of some in his platoon. Said he LOVED the obstacle course. He begins thinking about noon chow right after breakfast.

mrod32
11-17-08, 04:51 PM
can you maybe ask your son about the sandfleas i heard they
are pretty on the island

dono
11-17-08, 08:03 PM
can you maybe ask your son about the sandfleas i heard they
are pretty on the island

Why don't you pose your question over on the poolee board? I'm not really interested - he hasn't mentioned anything about the wee beasties.

mrod32
11-17-08, 08:12 PM
wow you don't have to d#%* about it.
but i understand people like you are
everywhere, even on this website.
what a doosh

Scottie0417
11-17-08, 08:53 PM
There's no need to get disrespectful mrod32...know your place around here. Also, if you're going to insult someone, at least spell it right. The word is "douche" you sound even more like a moron when you spell it like an idiot. Friggin poolees

dono
11-17-08, 08:57 PM
LOL Scottie!

mrod32
11-17-08, 09:03 PM
maybe ur a lil right scottie, i should have been more respectful but i say what i feel, and that is what i felt.
p.s. i spell "doosh" how i want to, it's in an acronym for my own special meaning, so please don't insult my intelligence.

Scottie0417
11-17-08, 09:06 PM
Actually you already insulted your own intelligence so just quit while you're behind

SGT7477
11-17-08, 09:08 PM
maybe ur a lil right scottie, i should have been more respectful but i say what i feel, and that is what i felt.
p.s. i spell "doosh" how i want to, it's in an acronym for my own special meaning, so please don't insult my intelligence.

Don't tell me you're disrespecting a Marine?:evilgrin:

dono
11-17-08, 09:10 PM
Please stop hijacking my thread. This is about me and my recruit and the friendly, helpful and knowledgeable Marines and Marine family who have contributed. You are none of the above. There is a whole board for poolees. Go there. Thank you.

mrod32
11-17-08, 09:15 PM
wow you are a total joke, ya you have something i yearn for the; EGA, and i respect you for that, but don't act like that makes all high and mighty scottie boy, don't use the title to get on your high horse, what a joke. but ne ways i'm an not on this site to cyber argue with anyone ecspecially you scottie boy. so im going to leave this site to dono so he can get the information he is looking for. good luck in your career, i hope everything works out for you in your future and congrats on becoming a Marine.

Scottie0417
11-17-08, 10:25 PM
Don't refer to it as an EGA...that's disrespectful to those who have earned the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor. And as for you, good luck in your future as well...maybe someday you'll earn the title as well. And if you're not interested in arguing with someone, don't insult people anymore. Respect is a virtue, you'll learn it in the Marine Corps, if you make it that far.

Scottie0417
11-17-08, 10:32 PM
Also, Dono, I apologize for your thread being carried off on a tangent. I wish your son the best of luck in his journey throughout the Marine Corps

dono
11-18-08, 06:19 AM
It's OK Scottie. Actually, it's a good illustration of what kind of material the Corps is getting to work with these days. I'll share that my son is discouraged about the seeming low level of motivation he's seeing in his platoon. Granted, only week four, but, he says he's done with trying to help the slackers with bad attitudes. He getting his own stuff nailed down and trying to help those who want the same. I told him to hang in and maybe the light will click on at some point down the road.

Gator347
11-18-08, 06:33 AM
Amen to that!!! Like I have said many times, the DIs are nothing short amazing:evilgrin:

Graduation Day is the second greatest day of a Marine Parent's life; Second only to the day your Marine was born.

Scottie0417
11-18-08, 09:12 AM
I understand what your son is talking about, dono. It's going to get a lot better for him. The worst time for me was right around the third or fourth week and it was for the same reasons...hardly any motivation within the platoon since everyone was homesick. After the fourth week we started field training and rifle qualification which is the funnest part of boot camp. It's only going to get better for him from here on out

ScottsMom
11-18-08, 12:19 PM
During my sons time at Boot Camp I received only one discouraging letter and believe it or not, it was for generally the same reason as your sons. The platoon was overall homesick as well as physically sick with everything from pink eye to strep throat.... After a week or so of being un-motivated and sick they all seemed to bounce back and really started working as a team. My son said after that, the time started to fly and before he knew it, it was time for the Crucible.

Gator347
11-18-08, 12:38 PM
This must be very common. :scared:My son had a lot of compliants during Phase One that some in the Platoon would not pull their own weight. It passed though and they became very close.:banana:

mgkusmc
11-18-08, 01:49 PM
When I look at my own letters from boot camp (my parents saved all of mine) I found it funny. The week before rifle range I was depressed I had been on light duty that whole week for cellulitus (I didnt have it bad, it just wasnt clearing up turns out my body is 100% resistent to rephrampryn the drug given to clear up cellulitus) anyways in one letter I begged my parents to come up with any excuse to get me home (at that point I was getting dogged pretty hard by the DIs and recruits for being on light duty) I'm pretty ashamed of that letter actually and I dont remember exactly what happened but my next letter was very upbeat I was motivated and had decided to change from being a Marine Reservist to Active Duty (got it finalized the last week of boot camp) So about the end of first phase and the beginning of second phase, recruits go through more emotions than a pregnant lady who is self concious about her belly being big.

dono
11-18-08, 06:47 PM
Good insight from all. That bit about changing from Reservist to Active reminded me that I have some concerns in that area. In fact I mentioned it to our recruiter who I saw yesterday. He suggested that I remind my son what his ultimate goal is - to be a Marine Corps officer.

Anyone else have the experience of switching from Reserve to Active while at boot?

DAMNPROUD
11-19-08, 07:46 AM
dono, i remember my son saying the same thing about some recruits lack of moto. he also said that it all changes in SOI .training in SOI was very tough and was what he was looking for in boot.if you couldnt hack it you were gone

0231Marine
11-19-08, 08:30 AM
Keep in mind that the whole purpose of boot camp is to make basically trained Marines. The drill instructors are still in the process of breaking down the recruits and making them understand that they can not succeed as individuals. It takes them a month and some change to weed out the bad apples and make everyone come to the realization that they need to watch out for that recruit on their left and right just as much as themselves. Usually by the 5th or 6th week, they'll get in a groove and start to figure it out. Just let your son know that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

dono
11-19-08, 10:21 AM
I have told him to keep his act together and trust the process.

SGT7477
11-19-08, 11:46 AM
It's really mind over matter.

DIUSMC
11-19-08, 02:09 PM
Hello Don, seeing your location is Johnson City is that TN? I wish you as a Recruit Dad the very best. Having served for a little over thirty years and spent three tours on Parris Island I know that you are both nervous and proud. Be more proud than nervous. Your son is in the best place he can be. During recruit training there will be a time to discuss the "future" with Marine planners. Having said that, we are at war in two fronts and there are no guarantees, at all. I wish your son nothing but the best, and you as well sir.

dono
11-19-08, 02:37 PM
[quote=DIUSMC;413490]Hello Don, seeing your location is Johnson City is that TN? /quote]

Tennessee it is. aka - God's Country. At least the upper east is. Get much west of Nashville and you might as well be in Arkansas. ;)
Yes - My recruit and I completely understand his situation and the needs of the Corps comes first. I also can trust the process; but from lived experience, including a hitch in USAF, I also know to keep a lookout for #1 as well. I'm not disagreeing with you - just saying that he has been told that he shows promise for the officer track. I know recruit training is not where that gets determined. It's a step in a process that was presented to us as a potential track to his goal.

dono
11-21-08, 04:47 AM
The incoming letters have slowed down. We received two on Monday. I had gotten spoiled with the regularity! This is swim week so he's probably spending all his time drying out his gear. Still sending one a day.

I'm nailing down plans for graduation. Have a line on a condo near the gate.

yellowwing
11-21-08, 04:56 AM
Hello Don, seeing your location is Johnson City is that TN?

Tennessee it is. aka - God's Country. At least the upper east is. Get much west of Nashville and you might as well be in Arkansas. ;) ...
Amen Dono! I grew up in McMinnville. I was on the Championship Team that kicked the heck out of Father Ryan. But alas Oak Ridge cleaned our clock.

dono
11-21-08, 05:21 AM
My son played for Science Hill, though I am a Dobyns-Bennett graduate. Poor ol' D-B seems to stumble in the playoffs every year. I believe McMinn Central upset them this year.

DIUSMC
11-21-08, 08:31 AM
Dono, would you happen to know a former Marine who was originally from Johnson City by the name of Raymond Gates? I was stationed with him as a young Marine in the mid seventies. I had the pleasure of going to his home on one occasion then but since have lost touch. The letters may become farther between from your son, but right about now the speed picks up and intensifies a bit. Semper Fi,

dono
11-21-08, 11:20 AM
Dono, would you happen to know a former Marine who was originally from Johnson City by the name of Raymond Gates?

No I do not. But, there's a Marine I can ask later today. I think he was active around that time. And thanks for the perspective on what's going on in training. I can understand that. And, there's always tomorrow. He's got a lot of folks writing to him and maybe he's getting back to them when he can take a minute.

dono
11-21-08, 11:40 PM
I did not see my Marine friend on Friday. I will ask him about Mr. Gates when I see him. I did receives an e-mail from my recruit's SDI. I think he must have gotten my address from another message board I post on. That was very cool, since I have received no mail from the recruit since Monday.

Scottie0417
11-22-08, 12:49 AM
Dono, you'd be surprised at what the drill instructors find out online. During Marine Week when we went to the Padres game, a Marine in my platoon's mother came to the game to see him since he was from Southern California. He sat next to her, but no drill instructors saw him and no one made it obvious who she was. Later on that night she posted a thread on RecruitParents.com saying how happy she was to see her son at the game. The very next morning our Senior called our Marine up to the duty hut and said "So...apparently we have Visitor's Sunday now instead of Visitor's Thursday" and gave the guy the reaming of a lifetime. Earlier in the cycle another recruit wrote home about being hazed by the drill instructors and our Senior saw the thread on the website...let's just say it wasn't pretty after our Senior found out

dono
11-22-08, 05:38 AM
Now I'm wondering if I should have even posted that I received the email from the SDI? I would never post the content of that nor detail on what my recruit writes to me. It might make parents who do not hear from the DI sad. Should I ask to have that post taken down?

Corpspapa
11-23-08, 02:42 AM
dono ~ You're doing fine. DI's are good guys. They really are. They remember boot all too well.

dono
11-23-08, 06:37 AM
dono ~ You're doing fine. DI's are good guys. They really are. They remember boot all too well.

I believe that, Bill. I just don't want to do ANYTHING to make it harder on my son. In e-mail I told his SDI that I would try to not wear him out with questions, etc. He quickly replied that it was not a problem.

of course, the image and impression I have of the D.I. is a monster man of some sort. Easy to forget that they are human beings, after all - just a special subset whose mission is to make Marines. I'll tell you, this electronic communication has made this experience so good for us here at home. Thanks to everyone who has contributed on this thread. I intend to keep it going.

dono
11-25-08, 05:38 PM
Well, I talked to my Mama, who had received a letter saying that the recruit had been sent to bed to get over cold symptoms. That was all she knew from the letter. So, I e-mailed the SDI and he immediately replied that he was back on foot and doing the training. What a relief and how cool is it that I can get such contact?

The SDI made initial contact with me, but I was hesitant about bothering him too much. But, he has assured me that he wants to hear what is on the parents mind and has been unbelievably quick in responding.

btw, he had the Honor Platoon in the last cycle. How cool is THAT?!

Said they will head to the rifle range on Saturday. Am I correct that they bunk there for a few days?

SGT7477
11-25-08, 05:47 PM
What the hell you can E-mail the SDI,lol,times have changed big time?

dono
11-25-08, 06:23 PM
What the hell you can E-mail the SDI,lol,times have changed big time?

I KNEW it wouldn't take long!

SGT7477
11-25-08, 06:25 PM
I KNEW it wouldn't take long!

You got that right Marines don't miss a thing.:flag:

quillhill
11-26-08, 12:50 PM
Said they will head to the rifle range on Saturday. Am I correct that they bunk there for a few days?

Two weeks. First week is Grass Week where they practice, practice, practice then the second week they build up to qualifying which they'll do that Friday.

Here's a link. This might explain it better. :)

http://www.mcrdpi.usmc.mil/training/schedule.asp

dono
11-27-08, 07:01 AM
Two weeks. First week is Grass Week where they practice, practice, practice then the second week they build up to qualifying which they'll do that Friday.

Good info there. As much as I think I have found, there always seems to be more. Question: I think the firing range is some distance away. Do they have a chow hall there or do they send the chow out there or is it MRE's?

Yes. I do tend to obsess about chow. My recruit talks about it in EVERY letter he sends...:p

Happy Thanksgiving to all and thank God for the Corps and the privilege of being a small part of it.

mgkusmc
11-27-08, 08:28 AM
They have a chow hall there, Weapons Battalion as I recall had some of the best food in their Mess Hall. But he will only eat in the Mess Hall during Breakfast and Dinner because all the time in between is spent on the range for lunch they will bring them box lunches usually consisting of a ham/turkey/roastbeef and cheese sandwich, and bag of chips, an orange or apple, a couple cookies and a poweraid or fruit juice drink. If his drill instructors are like mine when we were on the range they let us be during meal time especially lunch time and there was alot of bartering between recruits for different types of food.

Now I dont know if he will go back mainside or not after Rifle Range. Most companys do, but I remember we remained out there for a while afterwards, till after the cruicible I recall (I got dropped the day before the cruicible for cellulitus but got picked back up not long after) So I think I may have had a bit of a unique experiance with Weapons, cause I stayed out there from Grass Week till the day before the Crucible, and my original company stayed out there even longer.

dono
11-30-08, 08:51 AM
If I read the matrix calendar correctly, the 10 km hump to the firing range was yesterday. I haven't received a letter since Monday. But, I know he was put to bed for a couple days with a bad cold, so he's probably got some catching up to do.

Looking at the weather forecast, it looks good.

Unrelated question: I have seen on some other boards, Moms chomping at the bit to send power bars and cough drops. Mine has mentioned nothing about it; and, frankly, I don't see the need for it at all, though they say that some SDI's permit it.

Did any of the Marines who read this have that stuff mailed to them at boot?

mgkusmc
11-30-08, 01:05 PM
If I read the matrix calendar correctly, the 10 km hump to the firing range was yesterday. I haven't received a letter since Monday. But, I know he was put to bed for a couple days with a bad cold, so he's probably got some catching up to do.

Looking at the weather forecast, it looks good.

Unrelated question: I have seen on some other boards, Moms chomping at the bit to send power bars and cough drops. Mine has mentioned nothing about it; and, frankly, I don't see the need for it at all, though they say that some SDI's permit it.

Did any of the Marines who read this have that stuff mailed to them at boot?

When we were given the go ahead to send a letter telling our moms to send power bars and cough drops if they wanted I dont think our SDI thought we'd get as much as we did. He originally said "You can tell your parents to send powerbars and then like once in a blue moon when there is enough for the entire platoon to have one we'll give them out" this was just after initial drill. Well there were two recruits who went in on the buddy program whose mothers had gotten together and pooled their money together and started sending on average about 200 powerbars, 5 cans of gatorade mix and loads of cough drops about every two weeks. So it got to the point where every night during square away time we got gatorade and just at lights out the SDI came around and would give us each a power bar and a cough drop, it got so bad that we would send over power bars to other platoons and to papa company that was on track with us. It was insane.

DIUSMC
12-01-08, 08:44 AM
Mailing anything to a Marine Recruit is a bad idea, very bad idea. You have to trust the fact that the Marine Corps is giving thier recruits everything that they are going to need to get through the training. The "package" from home makes the sender feel like they are helping but they are not. When they are in the FMF trust me ALL packages from home will be appreciated much more.

mgkusmc
12-01-08, 09:04 AM
Mailing anything to a Marine Recruit is a bad idea, very bad idea. You have to trust the fact that the Marine Corps is giving thier recruits everything that they are going to need to get through the training. The "package" from home makes the sender feel like they are helping but they are not. When they are in the FMF trust me ALL packages from home will be appreciated much more.

Oh I agree totally but when it is approved by the SDI its then not becoming a problem really helped motivate the recruits. And I am damn happy they sent the cough drops cause it really helped with the crud.

DIUSMC
12-01-08, 09:55 AM
Maybe my thinking is a bit blurred here. When I was that SDI that had the 'authority' to approve I wouldn't have. Maybe I am just getting old and remember the way it was instead of the way it is. If getting a cough drop in the mail was a form of motivation I would have to believe that I wasn't doing my job correctly. The 'docs' were always around to help cure what ailed, so I let them do thier jobs while I did mine.

mgkusmc
12-01-08, 11:01 AM
It wasnt the fact that it was a cough drop, it was the fact that for some of the recruits who didnt get much mail or any at all to get a package sent to the entire platoon was like getting a piece of mail from someone who cared. It let them know that people cared about them back home and motivated them. If that makes sense.

DIUSMC
12-01-08, 11:24 AM
This may sound a bit hard for many folks to believe, but in all honesty in the 9 years I had been involved in any way with recruit training, as a Drill Instructor, Senior Drill Instructor, Series Gunny, and finally as an intructor at DI School, I never cared if there were letters, or pkgs, or anything else that came into the squad bay. I made that very clear the first day of training and made a promise to everyone of those recruits that they would be taken cared of and will want for nothing for the next three months. As mentioned earlier, I am aware of some changes, but just don't agree with them.

Gator347
12-01-08, 11:38 AM
My son's SDI requested it. I sent Dry Gator Aid, Power Bars, & Caugh Drops from time to time. The SDI used it for "MOTO". I sent enough for the entire Platoon for the "Crucible".

His SDI even thanked me on "Family Day"

DIUSMC
12-01-08, 12:07 PM
Like I mentioned earlier Mr. Gator, times have changed and I do believe for the better. On the rare occasion that any platoon I trained needed anything out of the issued items we (the DI's) would get them. The recruits would never know where they came from. Every day I thank the young Marines willing to put everything on the line for us. It takes a brave individual to raise his right hand knowing what we are involved in around the world right now. My appreciation is extended.

JWorkDI
12-01-08, 01:06 PM
MGySgt,

Simply enough, some of the Drill Instructors do it to boost their platoons morale. Do they really need it? Most definitely not (and my platoons never did) but some of our fellow DI's see it the other way. We never argued about it, we just did it our way and they did it their way. And for all the parents or recruit friends out there...there is no documented medical evidence or statistical proof that your recruit eating a powerbar before his pft is going to help him run faster or do more pull-ups. The only thing that makes them do those things is us!

JWorkDI
12-01-08, 01:14 PM
of course, the image and impression I have of the D.I. is a monster man of some sort. Easy to forget that they are human beings, after all - just a special subset whose mission is to make Marines.

It's funny how we are usually all catagorized into the mean as hell, chew nails and **** napalm mold. When we have your sons and daughters, of course that's what we're going to be like but many parents or just the general populace in general forget that we have family's that we go home to at night also (sometimes) and that we were once recruits too. I'm not surprised that your son's DI is coresponding with you because we like to know about these kids that we're forming into Marines too. It helps us to know who were dealing with (lifestyle, background) so that we can motivate them in certain areas. Not every kid that steps foot in our squadbay is sure he even wants to be a Marine when he gets there and we are faced with doing the tight rope of both encouraging them and breaking them down.

DIUSMC
12-01-08, 03:14 PM
S/Sgt. It sounds like you may be on the street now? I agree with the statement about morale. The sad thing is that morale needing to be boosted in the first place! By the looks of your 'signature' on your posts, you have what most of the recruits need, experience! Keep doing the right thing, and Thank you for doing it!

dono
12-01-08, 05:49 PM
I'm not surprised that your son's DI is coresponding with you because we like to know about these kids that we're forming into Marines too. It helps us to know who were dealing with (lifestyle, background) so that we can motivate them in certain areas.

Hear, understand and acknowledge. What I said about perceptions of the DI's was meant to express that I quickly came to understand what the reality is. Actually, I have been very careful to not supply a biography about my recruit. The initial contact from the SDI was pretty much that he was happy to answer questions. And I have limited myself to that.

For example, in the letter I got today, the recruit indicated he would not receive mail at the range; which sounded wrong. So, I e-mailed the SDI, who got right back to me with the scoop.

btw, the recruit did the gas chamber. Besides describing the awesomeness of it all, he was ragging pretty hard on some of his guys who had a very rough time - trying to run out the door, refusing to unmask, etc. Also mentioned that in the rappel (sp?) he "faceplanted". But, says it was big fun.

Far as I know, he's still squad leader. I found a pic of him. Reckon it would be OK to post it in this thread?

mgkusmc
12-01-08, 10:26 PM
MGySgt,

Simply enough, some of the Drill Instructors do it to boost their platoons morale. Do they really need it? Most definitely not (and my platoons never did) but some of our fellow DI's see it the other way. We never argued about it, we just did it our way and they did it their way. And for all the parents or recruit friends out there...there is no documented medical evidence or statistical proof that your recruit eating a powerbar before his pft is going to help him run faster or do more pull-ups. The only thing that makes them do those things is us!

You never know that powerbar may just be that one thing that causes him to puke or poop himself thus lightening his load and giving him that extra step....it said it would help....never said how!:bunny:

Gator347
12-02-08, 09:54 AM
With all due respect MGny DIUSMC, I looked at sending Power Bars & Gator Aid to the recruits in Phase III, like sending care packages "In Country".

But I would never mess with success. What the DIs :evilgrin: accomplished with my former recruit is nothing short of amazing.

dono
12-05-08, 08:10 PM
I have received two letters from the rifle range. RCT mentioned big puddles and cold wind. Said if they are lucky and get there first, they get enough time to actually taste the chow, which he said is even better than at the main chow hall. He says that though the heads are smaller, they get more time in there in the evenings. The hump out there was in the rain and he had to re-mark all his stuff.

They were to do first live fire yesterday. He has not said anything about initial drill or any other testing. I don't know if that's good, bad or indifferent.

Scottie0417
12-06-08, 01:13 AM
dono, rifle range will be a fun time for your son...I know it was the best week I had during boot camp. I wish him good luck and hopefully he'll get those crossed rifles

dono
12-06-08, 08:54 AM
I've been surprised at how many times he has mentioned fun in his letters - obstacle course and pugil sticks come to mind. I knew he had a good attitude going in, but you never know what the reality might do. So far, it is so good. After the second week at the range, I see "Team Week" coming up.

I have read that is kitchen duty or grounds maintainence and this is not under direct supervision of their DI's. Is this about right? What happens during this week?

Scottie0417
12-06-08, 12:13 PM
Team Week is pretty much a week where all the recruits help out around the base. They usually do working parties in groups of about 10 and perform various things such as making targets for the rifle range, helping out at supply, and cleaning up the chow hall and whatnot. It's pretty much the easiest week of boot camp and there isn't much supervision from your own DIs...pretty relaxing

mgkusmc
12-06-08, 01:36 PM
Unless you're a bad recruit then you never get sent for a working party and are alone with the DIs most of the day then you get quarterdecked and pitted on a regular basis (happened to me a few times during team week they wouldnt send me out....I think I only went and worked two days)

dono
12-11-08, 08:42 AM
Letters got a little slow, but we recived a nice one yesterday. Said he did well (2nd best in plt) on the PFT. On the chow - said either they are getting more time, or he has improved his speed-eating skill.

He asked me to bring edibles for Family Day. I like that idea better than possibly standing in line to eat in a restaurant. I guess we could eat in the vehicle, if the weather is bad. But, is there anyplace indoors available where we could eat the food that I would bring?

Rifle qualifying is tomorrow. Another question: Do they go back to previous barracks after the two weeks at the range or do they stay where they are for the duration?

0231Marine
12-11-08, 08:49 AM
Is he at PI or SD?

0231Marine
12-11-08, 08:51 AM
Disregard, I found it from your first post.

dono
12-13-08, 05:18 AM
I got word through the SDI that my recruit qualified. He did not have the score; only that he qualified. I'm still curious if the platoon stays at the barracks near the range for the duration. And do they get to shoot any more after qualifying?

mgkusmc
12-13-08, 10:36 AM
They will do a night firing course and they will also get to shoot the M249 SAW and the AT4 during A-Line. They more than likely wont stay out at Weapons, my case I think was a rare one. Either something was being done to our squadbays or someone was using our squadbays. Of course there was the usual scuttlebutt but I never heard a confirmed exact reason.

dono
12-17-08, 07:24 PM
Letter were few and far between the past two weeks. We got one today. He did qualify. Said he did not shoot as well as he had practiced, so he was just a little disappointed. But, not too much; seems like a good number did not qualify.

We're in the last month and I'm thinking about Family Day. I've heard pros and cons on bringing food as opposed to eating on base. Here's where I'd like some input. Also, someone, either on the thread or by e-mail (I forget which) said he could steer me to the good chow in the area (not the franchise chain eateries.) I'd welcome input on that as well.

We got a condo reserved for Wednesday through Friday and a vehicle rental all set. I need something large to ride five back home plus his gear.

mgkusmc
12-17-08, 08:31 PM
Letter were few and far between the past two weeks. We got one today. He did qualify. Said he did not shoot as well as he had practiced, so he was just a little disappointed. But, not too much; seems like a good number did not qualify.

We're in the last month and I'm thinking about Family Day. I've heard pros and cons on bringing food as opposed to eating on base. Here's where I'd like some input. Also, someone, either on the thread or by e-mail (I forget which) said he could steer me to the good chow in the area (not the franchise chain eateries.) I'd welcome input on that as well.

We got a condo reserved for Wednesday through Friday and a vehicle rental all set. I need something large to ride five back home plus his gear.

I'm gonna be down at Parris Island/Beaufort next week for xmas I'll get the lowdown on all the good places to eat from my rents and let you know ASAP.

4myson
12-21-08, 09:23 PM
dono, I just wanted to thank you for posting your questions and experiences through this. I have read through the posts and have learned a few things about what to do and not do. I am the mom of an 18 year old son who is currently a senior and will be reporting for boot camp July 17th. Like your son, my son will be going into the reserves so he can attend college. This experience is going to be harder on me than it wil be on him. When I learned that the only communication will be letter writing, I looked at the recruiter and said "You realize you are killing me, right?"
Wishing you and your son the very best.

dono
12-23-08, 05:44 AM
The letters have slowed down a lot. Maybe two in the last two weeks. Last one he was ragging on me a little. Seems that his SDI was somehow bringing ME up to him in their interactions. As I mentioned way back upthread, his SDI reached out to me, via e-mai, and offered to answer any questions. I asked a few generic ones, but the one and only time I asked about the recruit personally was when I saw in a letter that he had been coughing up blood and the corpsman said that was "normal." That scared me a little, so I e-mailed the SDI to maybe check him out. That was the only time.

I have since discontinued that communication. But, I intend to ask the SDI why HE felt it appropriate to inform the recruit of our communication if I see him at graduation. I'm not really angry with him, jist a little disappointed.

edit: I did also ask about qualifying and he responded to that, which I appreciated and told him so.

mgkusmc
12-23-08, 06:01 AM
The letters have slowed down a lot. Maybe two in the last two weeks. Last one he was ragging on me a little. Seems that his SDI was somehow bringing ME up to him in their interactions. As I mentioned way back upthread, his SDI reached out to me, via e-mai, and offered to answer any questions. I asked a few generic ones, but the one and only time I asked about the recruit personally was when I saw in a letter that he had been coughing up blood and the corpsman said that was "normal." That scared me a little, so I e-mailed the SDI to maybe check him out. That was the only time.

I have since discontinued that communication. But, I intend to ask the SDI why HE felt it appropriate to inform the recruit of our communication if I see him at graduation. I'm not really angry with him, jist a little disappointed.

edit: I did also ask about qualifying and he responded to that, which I appreciated and told him so.

I wouldnt worry about it too much, he's definitly not the only recruit who has been ragged on for parents sending emails to SDI being concerned, it was prolly just for a little more motivation and more than likely it wasnt made into a big deal....prolly just a small comment like "You gonna cry in a letter to your dad again like how you were coughing up blood" (thats just an example of course) its usually just to get a rise out of the recruit and usually if the recruit doesnt get ****ed off and complain to the SDI about it or argue with him (which your recruit sounds pretty squared away so it doesnt sound like that happened at least) then its usually dropped and not divulged into deeply. Also this is a good sign cause it shows that the SDI is reading the emails he is getting from the parents and that he is taking it into consideration. Nothing to worry about.

ecom
12-23-08, 08:18 AM
When I first went to Camp Pendleton from MCRD, I was coughing up blood also. I was told this was a result of the air in Camp Pendleton being a lot dustier.

I was coughing a lot and there were streaks of blood in my phelgm. I was told that the blood was there because I was coughing a lot and irritating something in my respiratory tract; not because of an infection.

DIUSMC
12-23-08, 09:05 AM
To the parents of any Marine Corps recruit. For the good of everyone, PLEASE stay out of the training! There is no need to know every step that the recruits take. Every other branch of the Armed Forces encourage the "interaction". The Marines DO NOT. We as Marines look out for our own, we train, we fight, we look for support from each other...NOT the home front. There is NO REASON for communication with any of the Instructors, even if you did not initiate it! The Marine Corps are considered ELITE for a reason, please don't tarnish that. I feel I am qualified to throw that in, I certainly have spent enough time training them.
Happy Holidays, Semper Fi.

SGT7477
12-23-08, 01:17 PM
To the parents of any Marine Corps recruit. For the good of everyone, PLEASE stay out of the training! There is no need to know every step that the recruits take. Every other branch of the Armed Forces encourage the "interaction". The Marines DO NOT. We as Marines look out for our own, we train, we fight, we look for support from each other...NOT the home front. There is NO REASON for communication with any of the Instructors, even if you did not initiate it! The Marine Corps are considered ELITE for a reason, please don't tarnish that. I feel I am qualified to throw that in, I certainly have spent enough time training them.

You said it all brother no such things as e-mails in our time, just something more to **** the SDI off.:evilgrin:

AAHMarineDad
12-23-08, 11:08 PM

DIUSMC Sir,

I totally agree with you. My personal feeling is that my son's DI had better things to do than answer my (civilian) questions.

Also my son made it quite clear to Mom & I that, "WHAT HAPPENS ON PARRIS ISLAND, STAYS ON PARRIS ISLAND!"

I had total respect for that. I wanted him to become a Heart Breaker and a Life Taker.

I knew as did he, the training would be tough. When Mom & I went to his graduation, we gave all 3 of his DI's a bottle. I personally shook each of their hands and thanked them. I told them as tough as you were on my son that, that trainig might some day save his life or allow him to save the life of a brother Marine.

Just a humble opinion from this Devil Dog Dad.

mltryman
12-24-08, 01:31 AM
dono,
is ur son going to boy scout camp or Marine Corps boot camp?
that is a retorical question by the way.. i seriously doubt u are gonna confront his
drill instructor about any thing.. give ur son a break stop jeesh.. it's time to let him spread his wings insted of having you constantly breathing on tha back of his neck.. you make me sick.. let him be.. stop baby sitting seriously.. or you are just gonna create a Marine who is weak and never left the nest. wow i'm so glad i am don't have a dad that hovers over me like you do your son, let him grow and stop babysitting him.. he is not is day care ne more.

DIUSMC
12-24-08, 08:36 AM
The DI's have an incredible schedule. When assigned as a Series Guunery Sgt. if I had knowledge of personal contact between an Instructor and a parent of a recruit that Instructor would be cleaning the filters at the pool. Some Marines have a hard time filling the "hat". Good luck to you sir, and my best to your son.

3rdBNmachine
12-24-08, 09:10 AM
Just a heed of warning. When i was on the island, there were recruit moms from guys in my platoon posting stuff their sons sent them on forums like this and our senior drill instructor caught wind of it when one of the recruits told a fib to his mother about "harsh" treatment and certain higher ups were notified. Drill Instructors and Senior Drill Instructors want to keep their business on their deck, no where else. The mother of the recruit in my platoon put our platoon number online and the senior drill instructor then googled it and saw business that was occuring on his deck, posted all over the web. BLASPHEMY! Everything from the contents of our box chows to the quaterdeck session (OOOoOOOoHhh the quater deck :-D ) we got smoked for a good 3 days over that. regular trips to the beach ( we called the sandpit a beach session) so be carefull, because a drill instructor will consider it treasonous and disloyal if they catch wind of their business beign spread about to non platoon members. The chain of command is sacred. What battalion is your son in? I wish him the best and it's comforting being on the other end of Parris island and seeing that the world doesnt really stop when your there and familys can track you to see your progress and there are places of support such as here. Good luck!

SGT7477
12-24-08, 12:47 PM
Get rid the the frickin computers, problems solved.

dono
12-25-08, 07:57 AM
Just a heed of warning.

I thought I was very clear that up until now, I did not post any squadbay business. Hell, I have no clue. My son does not share it with me! I am not toally clueless on such. I appreciate the post.

3rdBNmachine
12-25-08, 10:04 AM
yes dono i understand that, it wasn't just a warning to you,these are public posts just wanted to throw it out there for people to see so it was loud and clear so some poor bastard at mcrd pi or sd whoever or whenever he may be doesn't gte covered in sand and bitten by some fleas. youre more hip to the game than most parents trust me and im sure someone else in your sons platoons parents will send a letter or make a phone call or do something and your son will thank u for what your NOT doing, i know i did

dono
12-25-08, 04:37 PM
Got a phone call today. We were at Christmas Day Mass. I had made sure to sit on the aisle so I could get out in a hurry. Short call. He sounded great. I could hear the recruits sounding off loud in the background. Something brand new - two or three times, he called me "Sir."

dono
12-29-08, 06:02 PM
Received a letter that he wrote on Christmas Day. Some of you need to...brace yourselves....he was sitting on his footlocker while he wrote and....I said brace yourselves..... watching a MOVIE - The Grinch. :scared:

Said his "free time" had been spent catching up or getting ahead. I love it. Said the past week was the most fun - BWT and Table 2.

He's counting the days until the Crucible.

0231Marine
12-30-08, 07:39 AM
No bracing needed! I was in bootcamp through the holiday's as well and the entire base went to the theatre for Christmas and we watched Black Hawk Down. It's not uncommon for the recruits to get to watch a movie for Christmas. Our DI even had us hang a sock on each rack as a stocking and when everyone woke up in the morning, we all got on line and got to open our present from the DI. We all had a chunk of coal in them...lol. Definitely one of the funnier moments in bootcamp.

dono
12-30-08, 06:50 PM
The creativity of the DI's is a never ending amazement to me.

DIUSMC
12-31-08, 09:31 AM
I am glad that you wrote that sir. I had the unpleasant experience during my last year on active duty to go to Fort Dix to work with the Army on a "cross-train" with the Drill Sgt. School. It was the most boring and bland 4 months I could imagine. If I were an Army recruit I believe I would have to find a way to go someplace else. When your son is welcomed into the Marine Corps he will have accomplished what very few could. Much of it was due to the ability of the Marine Drill Instructor to adjust and adapt in a split second. NEVER allow down time, every minute is accounted for and some form of training is accomplished. Happy New Year to you sir;
Semper Fi.

mgkusmc
12-31-08, 10:00 AM
I am glad that you wrote that sir. I had the unpleasant experience during my last year on active duty to go to Fort Dix to work with the Army on a "cross-train" with the Drill Sgt. School. It was the most boring and bland 4 months I could imagine. If I were an Army recruit I believe I would have to find a way to go someplace else. When your son is welcomed into the Marine Corps he will have accomplished what very few could. Much of it was due to the ability of the Marine Drill Instructor to adjust and adapt in a split second. NEVER allow down time, every minute is accounted for and some form of training is accomplished. Happy New Year to you sir;
Semper Fi.

You know now that you said that it made me think, there was never a moment in boot camp (that I can remember) where we were just standing around, if we were early for something or waiting on the rest of series or such either we'd be in a school circle around the DI listening to him, learning a new drill movement or the ultimate we'd be in the pit.....there was never a moment when we werent doing something, and even during Square Away Time, there wasnt a moment, we'd be either cleaning rifles, mending uniforms, writing a letter home, or squaring away gear there was never anybody just sitting there relaxing during square away time, it was indeed our time but we had so much to do it was just another hour of work at our own pace.

The Drill Insturctor is still in my mind considered next to Godliness.....theres a quote I heard from my Drill Hat that pretty much somes them up he said "Now I'm not perfect, but I'm a hell of a lot closer than ya'lls!"

dono
12-31-08, 12:54 PM
You know now that you said that it made me think, there was never a moment in boot camp (that I can remember) where we were just standing around,

It's good of you to post that. It makes it more real, coming from one who experienced it. I received a letter today, written on the 27th. Said Christmas chow was great and he got full!!

Said they had done the CFT (told me to look that up on leatherneck.com).

I have decided on his graduation gift. I am getting a flag flown over the Capitol on his grad day - January 16, and I'm going to buy a nice case to put it in.

0231Marine
12-31-08, 12:59 PM
That's an awesome gift! I did something similar for my mother on her birthday but I had it flown over the Government Center in downtown Ramadi...kinda similar I guess...lol

dono
12-31-08, 01:01 PM
Happy New Year to you sir;
Semper Fi.

Happy New Year to you, DI and to ALL who have posted on this thread since October. It's been a great experience for me. All the knowledge and insight has been a great blessing. I'm not a worrier, at all. But, I am curious about what goes on and getting even a general idea has been very helpful.

It's two weeks from today that we will set off - about a seven hour drive. Have my condo rented, supposed to be very near the main gate.

0231Marine
12-31-08, 01:03 PM
Make sure and take pictures at graduation and post them on here!

ScottsMom
12-31-08, 02:21 PM
Have a wonderful time with your new Marine! I'm very excited for you and your family. Happy New Year!

dono
12-31-08, 05:35 PM
Pics will be made and posted everywhere I can. I have one of the recruit already. Not sure about the rules on that. Some boards frown it.

marinemama
12-31-08, 05:45 PM
Safe journey to you! You will take loads of pics for sure. It is so amazing! Happy New Year to you!

dono
01-03-09, 04:28 PM
I read on another board that recruits are asking their Mamas to send them hand, foot (and toe?) warmers. That sounds strange to me. I guess I would try to do it, if mine asked (he hasn't).

But, it seems to me that they should be going on what the Corps gives them.

mgkusmc
01-03-09, 06:17 PM
I read on another board that recruits are asking their Mamas to send them hand, foot (and toe?) warmers. That sounds strange to me. I guess I would try to do it, if mine asked (he hasn't).

But, it seems to me that they should be going on what the Corps gives them.

Thats strange that would have to be one of the last items I would ever need in boot camp.

dono
01-05-09, 06:02 AM
That's an old expression related to hoeing in the corn ot tobacco fields around here. I've gone from counting the weeks, to counting days, to counting the hours. Crucible is coming up.

marinemama
01-05-09, 12:03 PM
He will be great! He has made it this far, you might as well get your suitcase out and start packing. Fingers and toes crossed and prayers being sent to them all.

DAMNPROUD
01-05-09, 01:06 PM
The grad ceremony was great,but i liked the moto run the best.didnt know whether to laugh or cry probably did both.damn i was proud,still am!
keith

dono
01-08-09, 06:24 AM
I woke up at 0200 - the time the initial hump is supposed to begin. After realizing that and sending up a brief prayer, I wondered if I would get back to sleep or would I lie there and worry? I went back to sleep.

My recruit is as ready as ready can be, based on who he is and what has happened so far. I believe he knows something of what's before him; but, he also has the maturity to take it as it comes. I had to live a long time to get to that place.

0231Marine
01-08-09, 08:05 AM
I'm sure he'll do fine. No point in losing sleep over it because you can't make anything happen where you're at. Just pray for the best and wait to hear from him. He'll be pretty busy over the next couple days because after the Crucible, they'll have to spend a day cleaning weapons and get ready for their upcoming inspections and final drill.

He's in good hands :)

ScottsMom
01-08-09, 10:21 AM
Prayers outbound for a safe return from the Crucible!

dono
01-09-09, 05:03 AM
I'm sure he'll do fine. No point in losing sleep over it because you can't make anything happen where you're at.

I'm not losing sleep - I usually wake up every night at some point. By my clock, they're halfway through. I'm remembering when he was about 16, he would climb out his upstairs bedroom window to a roof and then jump to the ground. When I asked him why he did such a thing, he said, "It's fun."

I believe he's having a LOT of fun now!

0231Marine
01-09-09, 07:02 AM
I don't know if "fun" is the correct word there but he's certainly being challenged like never before.

The Drill Instructors on the other hand are having lots of that "fun".

dono
01-09-09, 08:24 PM
This one just occurred to me. My family is coming in three separate vehicles. Now, I received a pass from my son; but are other cars admitted if they just show up at the gate? Or are we all going to need to cram into one vehicle? There's eight of us and most all are full grown!

Have y'all noticed it's a full moon tonight?

marinemama
01-09-09, 08:42 PM
We didn't get a pass before hand, not sure if something has changed since last May or just because it is a different base. So, I will tell you what happened in May at MCRD SD. I would think since you can invite as many people as you want, all you will need is your correct documentation....ie..current insurance, ID's, current registration and everyone has to have a seatbelt. If it is a rental car, just your ID and the rental car documents. When we went, we had two cars and we all had to get out, open all the compartments, trunk, hood, and all the doors for them to have a look. It was easy and painless. It was like going on any other time, just more people looking lost.

Bet you are getting really excited! Can't wait to see your pics!

dono
01-09-09, 08:50 PM
Thanks for that Mama. Sounds right and I am going to check with the recruiter tomorrow. We are definitely ready to go!

dono
01-10-09, 11:42 AM
I got the word elsewhere to my question on getting additional vehicles on base. Now, just counting the hours to DEP for PI. Wednesday - hopefully by 1000 hrs.

dono
01-12-09, 05:50 AM
We have a second son whom we adopted from Kanchatka twelve years ago. Used to, when we were planning something for several days in advance, he would ask "How many sleeps is that?"

Well, we're down to two sleeps before we go.

dono
01-17-09, 09:07 AM
Fantastic experience on the island, even with the chilly temps. Graduation was moved inside. The new Marine has left this morning for a poolee function. I'll see about posting a pic or two later on.

DAMNPROUD
01-17-09, 09:29 AM
congrats to both of you

PaidinBlood
01-17-09, 09:59 AM
Congrats to you and the new MARINE.

yellowwing
01-17-09, 04:50 PM
Outstanding! Ohh-rahh!

SGT7477
01-17-09, 08:12 PM
Congrats on the new JARHEAD.

quillhill
01-17-09, 08:48 PM
Woohoo! Congratulations! Where does he go after boot leave?

Can't wait to see pics. I can't believe he's already done and through boot camp. It seems like just a couple weeks ago you posted this thread. So awesome. :)

dono
01-18-09, 06:20 AM
Before I post any pics, could I get confirmation, hopefully from a moderator, that posting of pics is allowed? It seems that a couple of other boards have stopped doing that.

dono
01-18-09, 06:21 AM
Outstanding! Ohh-rahh!
Thanks. I see you are a mod, so I'll ask directly. Is posting pics OK?

yellowwing
01-18-09, 10:15 AM
Thanks. I see you are a mod, so I'll ask directly. Is posting pics OK?
You can either attach them using that 'paper-clip' looking icon in a "Go Advanced" reply or link to them if you have a photobucket account.

dono
01-18-09, 12:29 PM
I am trying to learn photobucket. I'll get it done, eventually.

nvusmcsgt
01-20-09, 06:01 PM
Congrats on your new Marine. I have read this whole post and this is my first post. Looking forward to the pics.

dono
01-23-09, 06:07 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDW2s1y6-rc

The voice calling out is not mine. It is his best friend who I took with the family to graduation. If all went well at MEPS yesterday, that friend will be on the Island this summer!

dono
01-23-09, 06:19 AM
Someone asked upthread about his next assignment - it's Camp Lejeune - reports on Tuesday. He bought a bus ticket during boot, but I have been trying to get him to get a flight into Jacksonville. There were some decent fares earlier in the week, but, they seem to be dwindling away. Perhaps an 18 hour bus ride will be a good lesson on the value of looking ahead and planning!

dono
01-23-09, 03:05 PM
How does that work? My impression (from years ago) is that the reimburse is from duty station to duty station and any additional travel cost is the responsibilty of the individual. Is that right?

PaidinBlood
01-23-09, 07:55 PM
We did fill out a travel claim at our first duty station (just a few miles from SOI(W)) but I have no idea if they ever reimbursed us. I didn't really expect to be paid, since I chose to go home on leave.

As for Permanent Changes of Station later in your son's illustrious career, they will pay for that, but then I have never PCS'd so what do I know?

dono
01-26-09, 09:30 AM
A few pics from graduation.

dono
01-26-09, 09:34 AM
We did fill out a travel claim at our first duty station (just a few miles from SOI(W)) but I have no idea if they ever reimbursed us

Well, the ticket is bought for early early flight out. Recruiter says full reimburse. So, that's how we go. Been great having him around. He has definitely made the most of his ten days!

quillhill
01-26-09, 02:22 PM
So exciting. Thanks for posting some photos, dono, it's always great to see new Marines. Thank you for raising a Marine and thanks to him for his service. :)

dono
01-28-09, 05:17 AM
He has arrived at Lejeune for SOI. I actually received a text message on the cell. He said that they could keep their phones through the first night. He had a good boot leave (except for buying that damned motorcycle :scared:

Corpspapa
01-29-09, 11:34 PM
LOL, and "Buy" they will, dono. Tell him to keep his gear locked up AT ALL TIMES.

Glad to hear the next stage is happening.

DAMNPROUD
01-30-09, 06:49 AM
I second that bill KEEP GEAR LOCKED UP AT ALL TIMES!

i was told by my son there is only one theif in the Marines the rest are just trying to get there chit back!

Corpspapa
01-31-09, 01:41 AM
10-4, DP - My son had his Zune-thingy 'removed.' And so did several other Marines, during SOI. F'-in low-life's continue to prevail.

dono
01-31-09, 10:05 AM
That's a discouragement - thievery in the Corps. I passed on the caution to him.

SGT7477
01-31-09, 03:59 PM
That's a discouragement - thievery in the Corps. I passed on the caution to him.

It just don't happen in the Corps, that lesson was taught in boot camp to keep things locked up at all times and the same goes when you get to the fleet.:evilgrin:

dono
02-01-09, 05:23 AM
It just don't happen in the Corps,

I know it, Boss. It still makes me sick to think about it. They caught a thief who helped himself when helping in supply during Team Week and he went away from the platoon.

Sometimes, I think those cultures that cut off thieves' hands have it about right.

dono
02-06-09, 05:29 AM
No word from the Marine at all since he texted me from Lejeune on 1/27. It's different from when he was at P.I. I was wondering all the time how he was doing and what was happening. Now, I just know he's in good hands and meeting new challenges and opportunities every day.

DAMNPROUD
02-06-09, 07:08 AM
They are pretty busy at soi but you should hear from him soon.

AAHMarineDad
02-06-09, 02:16 PM
It's kind of funny but in Boot you knew what they were doing every day. But now you'll have to rely on hearing from him. Depending on what they're doing or where they are at usually will determine that. Sometimes you might get a heads up that he will be out of touch.

Because of security he may not be able to be specific. That's when you hit the prayer rug or the bottle. :beer:

Corpspapa
02-11-09, 12:35 AM
Oh..., Definately the bottle, lad!

I prefer Jim Beam. Others...., Gatorade, Dr. Pepper, or, even...., bottled water.

To each, their own....

Alas....

The thing is... for us fathers.... it is difficult, just as difficult as our wives, for us not to hear from our new-born Marines after they get to SOI, and then on to PDS (Permenent Duty Station).

That's when the (apron) string breaks.

Our sons have a paycheck, new-found best friends, and the wide-open world waiting for them.

Who are we, as parents, to expect a phone call, or e-mail, or letter? (BIG sarcasm here, lol.)

Set them free.

They will return.

(Briefly.)

i.e. Hang in there....

DAMNPROUD
02-11-09, 06:27 AM
And when they return rest assured they will be HUNGRY!LOL

dono
02-12-09, 05:17 AM
Received a phone call on Sunday evening. H told me he didn't need any letters now. He's already counting down to graduation there then on to job school. His school is 57 training days and there may be some time elapse before it begins.

They did get to watch the Super Bowl. He did mention being out in the field and all MRE's and so forth. Sounding good.

0231Marine
02-12-09, 07:32 AM
What's his MOS going to be?

dono
02-13-09, 05:49 AM
Field Radio Operator.

Story in this morning's paper says his unit is to deploy to the ME in May. We knew this had been rumored for a while. If his job school picks up right away, he should finish by the end of April. Looks to me like he's going to go.

I'll talk with his recruiter today and see what he can find out for me. Here's the story.

http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/Detail.php?Cat=HOMEPAGE&ID=67132

dono
02-14-09, 08:05 AM
Correction to above: His unit activates in May and deploys sometime this Fall. Spoke to our recruiter yesterday. He did not have solid information yet, but the article linked above seems to be accurate. I don't know if my Marine knows yet - I doubt it. Hoping he can call me on Sunday.

As I shared at the beginning, he was planning / hoping to enroll in college this Fall. However, he did understand the reality of his commitment and that this very thing was a possibility. When we talked about it during his boot leave, he seemed even excited about the possibility.

From this Dad's point of view, it's gotta be a positive when he finally does go for the PLC. And - this may be dumb and off base - but, I like him getting the opportunity to gain this experience at this point in his life.

Finally, there is some worry over the direction our CINC will take this nation. I can only hope and pray that he will admit his limitations in this area and listen to the professionals.

dono
02-24-09, 05:49 AM
Received a call yesterday. His graduation from MCT is today - then bus to Raliegh and fly to Los Angeles and bus to 29 Palms for job school. He later texted me the weather forecast - 72 and sunny!

He said he had a great time at Lejeune.

PaidinBlood
02-24-09, 08:32 AM
Finally, there is some worry over the direction our CINC will take this nation. I can only hope and pray that he will admit his limitations in this area and listen to the professionals.

Fear not-this is not a slight against the new POTUS but this course was pre-ordained and will be driven by necessity. There will be tragic and unnecessary losses but these are part and parcel of any such undertaking rather than a side effect of Presidential interference. We have finally begun to keep the politicians from attempting to soldier. For what it's worth, the Generals and what not have finally started to get the knack of prosecuting this war (the Marines anyway) and will not let something as trivial as an elected leader get in their way. They are pulling the strings here.

Congratulations and Semper Fi to your new Marine. :usmc:

marinemama
02-24-09, 09:48 AM
Field Radio Operator.

Story in this morning's paper says his unit is to deploy to the ME in May. We knew this had been rumored for a while. If his job school picks up right away, he should finish by the end of April. Looks to me like he's going to go.

I'll talk with his recruiter today and see what he can find out for me. Here's the story.

http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/Detail.php?Cat=HOMEPAGE&ID=67132

My youngest is a Field Radio Operator too. I hope he gets picked up right away or he might come back home all tattooed up...lol lol Not much to do out there. If he wants a tat, let me know and I will get the address to the place I took my son. It was clean and they were great. We went to a couple and some of them were nasty! Spent quite a few weekends out there and did everything in the area possible. Good times for sure.

I wish him a safe journey to Cali. Congrats to him!

dono
02-24-09, 11:38 AM
Good grief. He done bought a motorcycle (down payment and put it on layaway). Now you're talking about tattoos? Whatever.

UPDATE: He called at 1100 hrs sitting on the bus for RDU. Hung up quickly when they brought lunch onto the bus.

ecom
02-24-09, 09:30 PM
He won't pickup at school immediately unless things have changed since I've left. He will be in reception for a few days before B Co picks them up. He might end up in Marines Awaiting Training Platoon, usually referred to as MAT, for a while.

Advise that he doesn't buy anything that he can't take on the plane when he departs. Marines in B Co won't have TMO to move them when they finish school.

commdog7
02-25-09, 12:43 AM
Boot Camp Bravo, I remember that company. Back when I was in Radio Op school, our instructors treated us like 4th phase recruits... I wonder if that changed.... Anyways, sure hope he likes sprinting up Sugar Cookie Hill. :banana:

dono
02-25-09, 04:17 AM
sure.

I wish him a safe journey to Cali. Congrats to him!
My reply (whatever) sounds dismissive. It was not meant to be. He surprised me once by mentioning he was thinking about a tat. I was surprised because he has never been one to follow the herd. But, I do not have to approve or even like it.

Isn't there a regulation that tattoos must not be visible?

marinemama
02-26-09, 02:27 PM
My reply (whatever) sounds dismissive. It was not meant to be. He surprised me once by mentioning he was thinking about a tat. I was surprised because he has never been one to follow the herd. But, I do not have to approve or even like it.

Isn't there a regulation that tattoos must not be visible?

I thought there was something about visible tattoos, but I know some of the Marines in my son's units have gotten them on forearms and such...so I am not sure. The few that mine have gotten when they were home last, are where they can't be seen. I think it hurts them more when they get more rank and are looking to do other jobs, such as Recruiting, that get them in to trouble and with promotions.

I didn't think you dismissed me with your 'whatever'...no worries...I just didn't think you wanted him to get any. At least when I go with them, I know the place is clean and they won't get a woman's name or something they will regret...that is my reasoning behind it anyway.

Hope he is there and all checked in. Mine didn't pick up right away and ended up in MAT Platoon...they can really clean ;)....he enjoyed it, made a lot of nice friends there. OMG! the Sugar Cookie is awful!

giveen
02-26-09, 02:29 PM
The new tattoo policy is nothing that can be visible beyond the khaki short sleeve shirt.

commdog7
02-26-09, 04:12 PM
No tattoos can be visible in green-on-green (PT gear). If he decides to go ahead and get a tattoo that is visible in PT gear, he could get NJP.

dono
02-26-09, 04:48 PM
I am pretty sure he knows the policy. You know, tattoos have become so common that it's cooler not to have them. But, what do I know about cool?

So, yes. He's settling in. I had to tell him to quit texting me (he has unlimited - I have to pay) and just call (unlimited minutes). That (texting) is another incomprehensible thing. He knows he has some lag time until his class picks up - I guess he will get a date at some point?

Still happy for him - proud of what he has done and will do.

0231Marine
02-27-09, 12:01 PM
The new tattoo policy is nothing that can be visible beyond the khaki short sleeve shirt.

No tattoos can be visible in green-on-green (PT gear). If he decides to go ahead and get a tattoo that is visible in PT gear, he could get NJP.

That is not true at all. You both need to check your facts before posting information because you are both wrong.

The order reads,

MARADMIN 198/07:

"NO TATTOOS OR BRANDS ON THE HEAD AND NECK. SLEEVE TATTOOS ARE LIKEWISE PROHIBITED. A SLEEVE TATTOO IS A VERY LARGE TATTOO, OR A COLLECTION OF SMALLER TATTOOS, THAT COVERS OR ALMOST COVERS A PERSON S ENTIRE ARM OR LEG. HALF-SLEEVE OR QUARTER-SLEEVE TATTOOS THAT ARE VISIBLE TO THE EYE WHEN WEARING STANDARD PT GEAR (T-SHIRT AND SHORTS) ARE LIKEWISE PROHIBITED. A HALF-SLEEVE OR QUARTER-SLEEVE TATTOO IS DEFINED AS A VERY LARGE TATTOO, OR A COLLECTION OF SMALLER TATTOOS THAT COVERS, OR ALMOST COVERS, THE ENTIRE PORTION OF AN ARM OR LEG ABOVE OR BELOW THE ELBOW OR KNEE."

There is nothing in the order that states you can't have one or two tattoo's below the sleeve of your PT Shirt.

Giveen, Khaki shirts aren't mentioned anywhere in the order so I'm not sure where you're getting your information from but it's not corrrect either.

Bottom line is, one or two tattoo's below the sleeve line are acceptable as long as they don't take up a large amount of the visible space. If you do get tattoo's there, they need to be documented so that your command is aware and it doesn't hinder you when you go up for promotion.

dono
02-28-09, 08:42 PM
I started this thread in October as my son was in his first week at P.I. Within about an hour, I had received a welcome. Now, almost six months and 5700+ views later, I want to thank everyone who has made this thread a great thing for me to have during this experience. Any and every question I ever asked brought quick and good responses. You folks are the best!

I don't know that I will be posting as much for a while. My Marine is in the "holding pattern" awaiting for his class to form up. I'm hearing weeks...so there is not much of anything to report.

I will respond to any new posts, if I have anything worthwhile to say. Until then, once again, I thank you all very much.

Don Wiley
Johnson City, Tennessee

dono
03-20-09, 09:13 AM
My son picked up an class to qualify to drive the HumVee. It will extend his stay a bit, but that's no problem. Contact via e-mail and phone is easy now. He seems to be well situaled and well pleased.

Scottie0417
03-20-09, 05:44 PM
My son picked up an class to qualify to drive the HumVee. It will extend his stay a bit, but that's no problem. Contact via e-mail and phone is easy now. He seems to be well situaled and well pleased.

He'll have a blast with the humvee course. I did it back in January and had a great time, lots of fun.

SSgt Ramsey
03-21-09, 06:40 AM
Hey Dono, welcome to the Marine Corps family....

I'm relatively close by in SW Virginia if you ever wanna chat or whatever, and I go to Mountain Home fairly often in JC....

dono
05-04-09, 04:59 AM
Sgt Ramsey, sorry I did not reply. I obviously missed the e-mail notification. Thank you. I hope we meet some day.

My marine is still at 29 Palms. He's slated to finish up his job school in early June. His Reserve unit, Lima Company, departs for five months at Camp Pendleton on Thursday before deploying to Iraq in September. I spoke with him Saturday, and he does not have a clue as to his own status.

Before, he thought he would get leave after job school, but know he's wondering if he will go directly to Pendleton to join his unit. He's decided to try to see if he can find out. Anyone have an idea (or guess) on that?

dono
05-08-09, 05:28 AM
They left yesterday for Camp Pendleton to begin training. The article in the local paper says that the fall deployment destination is not known. Before they were saying Iraq.

My Marine does not know if he will get leave after MOS school or if he will report to Pendleton. He did see his class scores and is doing very well. About one more month to go.

dono
06-09-09, 07:37 PM
I guess I could start a new thread, because I am not a recruit dad. I am a Marine Dad - Proud Papa of a USMC Lance Corporal! He earned meritorious promotion upon graduating as Honor Graduate from his job school.

He's home on leave and will soon report to Camp Pendleton for training in advance of his September deployment.

MotoDad
06-10-09, 02:43 PM
I guess I could start a new thread, because I am not a recruit dad. I am a Marine Dad - Proud Papa of a USMC Lance Corporal! He earned meritorious promotion upon graduating as Honor Graduate from his job school.

He's home on leave and will soon report to Camp Pendleton for training in advance of his September deployment.

Hi Dono,

A big "Congrats" on your son's recent meritorious promotion to Lance Corporal! :thumbup:

My son is currently at the point in MCRD where your son was when you started this thread WAY BACK WHEN!

He's currently busting-out a 291 for his PFT.....also highest score in his platoon in the CFT.....swims like a dang fish, too.....he MUST be at that fitness-level, because he enlisted with a UZ contract 0321 / Reconnaissance......

When he eventually gets to BRC, he will find he is just one of many guys at that level of physical ability......

Anyway, I enjoyed the thread! Glad to see your son didn't take any "heat" from his SDI for communication issue's between you and him....I was worried about that for awhile there! :scared:

All the best,

MotoDad

dono
06-10-09, 05:37 PM
Thanks for the kind words. This board and the great folks who post were a great asset for me through recruit training. Maybe you will tell me a bit about your son's specialty. I still do not know a lot about all that.

dono
06-24-09, 08:30 PM
My son was home for ten days and is now back in Cali at Camp Pendleton. I am not clear on exactly what is going on. I understand that he is with a comm company (battalion?). His local Reserve company is there, but he seems to not be training with them.

However, he has been told of his deployment destination. Being cautious, I will leave it at that.

He did mention that the hours of his most used facilities (gym and chow hall) are shortedrat Pendleton than at 29 Palms. But, he is still learning his way around. He spoke about a trip to "mainside" to get a haircut.

And, just as I was writing this, he called me. Says not a whole lot is going on. Unless you get to go into the field, he's just "hanging out at the comm shop." And also that he was heading to the Exchange then to the gym, which turns out is open until nine.

That is all.

dono
06-25-09, 04:59 PM
Then today, I got a text saying that today he gets to call in a medevac and ride the chopper. (His first helicopter ride!)

I know he's pumped for that.

jennifer
06-25-09, 05:14 PM
Then today, I got a text saying that today he gets to call in a medevac and ride the chopper. (His first helicopter ride!)

I know he's pumped for that.

FUN, FUN, FUN!! I just recently went on my first chopper ride. CH-46 but I did get a little sick :sick: no vomitting though, thank God!! I bet he had fun. :yes:

dono
06-27-09, 06:40 PM
They used Chinooks and he got two turns at the exercise. He sent me a couple of vids that he made - one of a low pass flyover by the chopper and the other on the ride itself. Yes. He loved it.

dono
06-28-09, 11:38 AM
Talked to my son last night. He is headed back to 29 palms for five days in the field. Said something about horizontal antennas. I believe he said eight Marines are going.

Checked the weather - highs of 104. Yow!

PaidinBlood
06-29-09, 10:55 PM
It's like guaranteeing a kid the chance to go to the gas chamber....they would get it anyway. Is it sad they have to promise it? Yeah I'm with you on that.

As for the hard/soft Corps thing it's been beat to death. The boot camp rules never changed and there are no stress cards. Tell some young grunt freezing his nuts off in the Korengal Valley how soft he is....Semper Fi :usmc:

marine95
06-30-09, 01:26 AM
While I was recruiting back in 04-07. I had 1 kids saying the whole time he was going to be Recon. The only thing I could do was make sure he was ready for the attempt. I had him every living momement on the pull up bars. Dead hang wide grips. I told him he might be ready if he could do 30. The time he left he was doing 30 and he did make it through BRC. Everyone else that said they were going to be recon washed out or never tried. Semper Fi.

dono
06-30-09, 06:43 AM
I have nothing to add to the recon discussion

But, I will report that my Marine called from the Mojave yesterday. Doing good. One thing, said the water they brought gets very HOT during the day.

His comm unit is supporting a Weapons company out there and while he was on the phone he saw a bomb dropped. I could hear it!

He'll be out until Thursday - then 96 for the 4th!

marine95
06-30-09, 11:52 PM

What company is your son in, and maybe some of the guys on the forum can send him some motivational mail.
I had a Warrant Officer that use to be a DI. His saying was "Hate me now, Love me later". And that was the truth. During PT sessions he killed us but when the PFT came up everyone improved by atleast 2 minutes on the run 4-5 pull-ups and max crunches. Great Saying. Thanks CWO4 B.E. Carter

dono
08-30-09, 11:37 AM
Have not posted in quite a while. Ben has (or soon will) complete Desert Viper and be home in early September for leave before his unit deploys in late Sept / early Oct. He had word that he was going to be attached to a different Reserve unit than his own.

He texted me today that he was on his last field exercise, getting to drive a humvee for the support team.

dizark
08-30-09, 01:18 PM
Your son is in Comm? I'm currently at 29 Palms for Comm School.. I go to the field tomorrow and graduate next week after the 96. Where is he stationed?

dono
08-30-09, 05:32 PM
sent you a pm dizark

tgwkreu7
08-30-09, 07:18 PM
sir
if you want top notch information concerning any of your question write the commandant of the marine corps just because he is a general don't let that stop you to write him
tell him you situation and i am sure you will get answer that will be better than most i did concerning my son awhiles back and one day there was a marine wanting to talk to me
at my door
i was a drill instructor at parris island in the early '50's

dono
08-30-09, 08:57 PM
sir
if you want top notch information concerning any of your question write the commandant of the marine corps just because he is a general don't let that stop you to write him
tell him you situation and i am sure you will get answer that will be better than most i did concerning my son awhiles back and one day there was a marine wanting to talk to me
at my door
i was a drill instructor at parris island in the early '50's
Right. I was born at night; but not last night!

jetdoc
08-31-09, 08:21 AM
FUN, FUN, FUN!! I just recently went on my first chopper ride. CH-46 but I did get a little sick :sick: no vomitting though, thank God!! I bet he had fun. :yes:

Jennifer, they call them "choppers" now? :D Back in the day we NEVER used the word chopper, it was "helo's". Just busting your chops.

I trained on helo's in New River for 6 months, then got sent out to EL Toro to work on jets, go figure. Of course that was back when there was no different MOS requirement between fixed and rotor.

dono
09-12-09, 06:45 AM
We are about half way through ten day leave. Ben has completed the Mojave Viper and upon return to Cali will be preparing for deployment. My understansing is that he will attach to a Reserve unit out of Nashville.

Since he will be gone again for the holidays, we are having Thanksgiving Day dinner today and a bunch of family is coming.

dono
10-05-09, 06:11 AM
Weapons issue today and he will be leaving for Iraq, if not today, certainly in the next few days.

We joined a local group of military families and have our first meeting this evening. I am looking forward to it, as we know no other military families.

SSgt Ramsey
10-05-09, 06:24 AM
Dono:

I drive to Johnson City fairly often to go to the VA Hospital there....I'm in Castlewood VA.

If you ever need to talk, vent, need to go out for a beer....whatever, lemme know by PM and I'll give ya my home and cell #'s....I'll do what I can for you....

Semper Fidelis :iwo:

dono
10-05-09, 11:46 AM
Dono:

I drive to Johnson City fairly often to go to the VA Hospital there....I'm in Castlewood VA.

Semper Fidelis :iwo:

Will do. I'm sometimes up that way going to St Paul for Sunday afternoon shape note singing.

commdog7
10-05-09, 12:12 PM
Weapons issue today and he will be leaving for Iraq, if not today, certainly in the next few days.

You should be careful what you post. On the internet, you can never be too sure who is watching. I remember on my deployment to Iraq, that's something that my command stressed on us- not to give out our deployment dates. It's some detail terrorists are very interested in.

Good luck to your son. Iraq really isn't as bad as the media makes it sound.

CPLSNODGRASS
10-05-09, 12:22 PM
Welcome Don!

If you would like to post your questions on here, we Marines would be happy to help answer any that we can. There are some former recruiters and drill instructors that frequent these forums as well and will likely be able to shed some light on those hazy answers your sons recruiter provided.

Anyways, welcome again and keep us posted on your sons progress!
we will always do our best to help minus the occational heckeling session

Supersquishy
10-05-09, 12:28 PM
Loose lips sink ships.
http://www.thestandard.org.nz/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/loose-lips-sink-national-ships.jpg

CPLSNODGRASS
10-06-09, 10:59 AM
dono i have been to iraq 3 times i kinda know the lay of the land in the areas i was in... shoot me a pm if you want my cell and home number i will be more than willing to talk to you about how things were over there and what my friends tell me its like as of now.... tell your son i said Semper Fidelis and keep your head down Devil Dog

dono
10-06-09, 06:02 PM
You should be careful what you post. On the internet, you can never be too sure who is watching. I remember on my deployment to Iraq, that's something that my command stressed on us- not to give out our deployment dates. It's some detail terrorists are very interested in.

Good luck to your son. Iraq really isn't as bad as the media makes it sound.
Understood. This info is published in the local newspaper. If a mod wants to delete it, that's fine.

commdog7
10-06-09, 07:57 PM
Understood. This info is published in the local newspaper. If a mod wants to delete it, that's fine.

It's published in the local paper!!! That's a pretty serious security risk... I just hope terrorists aren't smart enough to open the daily newspaper....

dono
10-07-09, 05:42 AM
It's common for all the Guard and Reserve units that have been activated and deployed from this area to have the news published in the local media. I do understand the need for security. If I have unknowlingly violated, someone please ping the mods to have posts removed.

dono
10-09-09, 11:06 AM
Have received word that his company arrived safely. Are housed in 2 or 4 man cans (air conditioned).

Hoping for an email or a phone call.

dono
10-11-09, 05:12 AM
First email received. He's in a tent waiting for a can to become available. Quote: "the chow hall is amazing"

dono
10-13-09, 06:13 AM
Received another nice email. He's doing good - had a full day of work, loading trucks and driving around. It was a good move on his part to get that driving cross training at 29 Palms.

dono
10-18-09, 06:55 AM
Sounds like he's getting into a routine there. Last night he said he had

brace yourselves

internet duty. From 0000 until 0800. I didn't get a lot of detail, beyond he also had approved access to another computer which he was using to communicate with me via facebook.

One question - When I asked if he was getting sleepy, he replies "two words - sunflower seeds"

What does that mean?

DIUSMC
10-18-09, 12:11 PM
Not to worry Dad, it simply means that falling asleep with a mouth full of sunflower seeds is just about impossible. If it happens the choking will wake you up most of the time. Internest duty has taken the place of "phone watch" in many commands. Glad to hear that the Marine has adjusted well to the life.