PDA

View Full Version : Marine teaches martial arts to troops stationed in Iraq

thedrifter
10-29-08, 08:38 AM
Marine teaches martial arts to troops stationed in Iraq
Sandra Emerson, Staff Writer
Article Launched: 10/28/2008 08:11:36 PM PDT

UPLAND - Staff Sgt. Jeff Vandentop, 31, of Upland teaches mental, character and physical disciplines to Marines stationed in Fallujah, Iraq.

Vandentop is part of the Marine Corps Martial Arts Program designed to teach Marines combative techniques, physical fitness and combat conditioning.

"Ever since the Marine Corps' inception in 1775, we have had some type of hand-to-hand combat program," he said in an e-mail. "As warfighting has changed throughout the years, so has our Martial Arts Program."

The program was developed in 1999 and was based on the training of the Marine raiders in World War II, he said.

Vandentop is company gunnery sergeant for I Marine Expeditionary Force Headquarters Group at Camp Fallujah, Iraq and is a second-degree black belt martial arts instructor trainer.

He has been in the Marine Corps for 12 years and has been deployed for the last year.

Western-style boxing, judo, kickboxing and jujitsu are some of the types of martial arts taught through the program.

"We believe that it takes more than being just a good fighter to become a complete Marine warrior," Vandentop said. "You must have mental agility to solve unexpected problems in combat, the impeccable character to do the right thing all the time, and the physical abilities to lead Marines in any environment."

The program recently graduated 95 students.

"It is always great and motivating to be a part of something that is bigger than you," Vandentop said. "I am happy just to have the opportunity to give something back to a program that has already given me so much."

Vandentop has a wife and two daughters at home in Upland anxiously awaiting his return.

Two of his proudest moments are the births of his daughters and his training with the martial arts program.

"My prize possession is my family back home. What I admire about them and all the families of deployed service members is the continued support that we receive," Vandentop said.

"The life of a deployed service members family is not an easy one."

sandra.emerson@inlandnewspapers.com
(909) 483-8555

Ellie