PDA

View Full Version : Lat to MPs

rvillac2
10-28-08, 10:29 AM
Contrary to what most people think, the primary purpose of an MP is not to patrol our bases. The MP's have a combat mission. They protect convoy routes, intersections and base entry points. They...

rvillac2
10-28-08, 10:46 AM
Hello!
He loves the Corps. He was moved to the MPs at Cherry Point and loves it. Your thoughts. He is a LCpl and wants to become a NCOM. Do you see a demand in this MOS? Slots for Cpl, Sgt, Etc?

He also wants to deploy!!!

Thanks for your advice.

rvillac2
10-28-08, 10:49 AM
Hello!
He loves the Corps. He was moved to the MPs at Cherry Point and loves it. Your thoughts. He is a LCpl and wants to become a NCOM. Do you see a demand in this MOS? Slots for Cpl, Sgt, Etc?

He also wants to deploy!!!

Thanks for your advice.

Fubar5812
10-30-08, 10:15 AM
it is true.by october 60% of us will be field MP's strictly.

reasons behind this are many but a few would be that having civilians police our bases back home leaves the rest of us to move to field units and help out overseas.you get BASIC police and BASIC field training while at school,once you get to your unit (either a field or garrison unit) you get advanced training in whatever that unit does. Our MOUT and field excerises where extremely realistic and we all felt our training was awsome,thanks in no small part to our instructors who where all field MP's and wanted the best they could give us.

bgsuwoody
10-31-08, 10:25 AM
None the less I know that a few of my friends who are MP's just got back from Iraq doing combat operations and convoy security. Your options are open, you will do basic police work and giving tickets and you will be doing field work such as convoy security. Period.

jdpownall
11-05-08, 10:36 AM
Maybe somebody here can help me out. I have been an artillery reservist for 4 years now. I signed a 4x4 contract so my enlistment is up on Nov. 15 of this year and then I drop to the IRR. I would like to lat move into the MP field and go active duty. I have a bachelor's degree in criminal justice and have hopes of making my way into CID (criminal investigations division). To go CID, you have to start out as an MP. Can anybody shed any light on how realistic (or unrealistic) my goals are? And also, what steps should I be taking to make this happen? As a part of my reenlistment, will I be looking at any kind of a signing bonus, and/or choice of duty station?

sscjoe
11-05-08, 10:44 AM
I'm not positive, but I believe you have to be a SNCO to get CID.

jdpownall
11-05-08, 11:05 AM
No, you have to be a Sgt. But until then, I can go MPI (military police investigator) which is MOS 5819. You have to be a Corporal for that, which I am and you have to have 1 year of MP experience. I did a year in Iraq as Task Force Military Police. I'm hoping that requirement can take care of that requirement. When I pick up Sgt. then I will attempt to go CID. I would use my degree to go the officer route, but there are no regular commissioned officers in CID. On the enlisted side of the house, CID is Sgt and above and on the officer side of the house, CID is for Warrant Officers only.

Fubar5812
11-05-08, 09:26 PM
as far as bonuses,you do get a bonus for attending MP school if you Lat move..since it is not required.our student NCO's got,i think 30,000$ for going to MP school instead of staying as provisional PMO MP's.