PDA

View Full Version : Sandusky High School graduate returns after second tour in Iraq with Marines

thedrifter
10-27-08, 07:58 AM
SanduskyRegister.com Front Article
Sandusky High School graduate returns after second tour in Iraq with Marines
By AMANDA GODFREY

Monday, October 27, 2008 6:25 AM EDT

SANDUSKY

After serving four years and two Iraq tours, Sean Orman is ready to call Sandusky home.

The 2001 Sandusky High School graduate followed in his older brother's footsteps by joining the U.S. Marine Corps shortly after graduation.

"I just went," Orman, 25, said. "I can't really explain why I did. It was something I knew I should do because there wasn't anything here."

Orman arrived home Friday, after fulfilling his duty to the Marines.

He's glad to be home, but he said it really hasn't sunk in yet.

His friends, family and wife, Koren, rejoiced in his homecoming by celebrating Sunday afternoon at Victory Temple.

Red, white and blue balloons, the smell of cookies and buzz of conversation greeted guests as they walked through the doors.

Many made their way to Orman right away. Others waited patiently as he made his rounds, greeting people he'd missed while he was away.

"I'm so very, very proud of him," Susanne Bango said while watching her grandson greet friends. "We thank God he's home safely."

The gathering was supposed to be a surprise, but Orman said he knew something was going on.

"You did not," Koren said, playfully pushing him.

"I did a little," he said. "I don't really see what it's all for, though."

His wife gave him a quizzical look.

"It's because you're back," she said softly. "Some people don't come back."

Orman and Koren married in 2007, right before he left on his second tour. Koren said they're eager to plan the honeymoon they didn't get to have.

"Right after we were married, he was gone," she said. "It was hard, but now he's home. I'm so happy to have him home."

The Rev. Doug Maynard said he didn't think twice about welcoming back one of his flock.

"We wanted to honor his service and his role in defending our country," he said. "A lot of countries don't have the rights and freedom we do. People like Sean are out there defending those rights."

Orman, who was a squad leader in the 1st Battalion 9th Marines, said he plans to attend police academy through the Ohio State Highway Patrol within the next few months.

"I'm getting used to being back home," he said. "I'm ready to do something else."

Bango said technically her grandson isn't finished with the Marines until April and after that he'll remain on reserve for two years.

"We can only cross our fingers that he won't go back," she said. "There's always that chance. I pray for all of the boys, all our people out there."

Ellie