PDA

View Full Version : I made it, you can too.

SEANstaah
10-14-08, 01:28 PM
Well, I graduated Private First Class Madriaga, Plt.1053 Charlie.

Went from 10 pull ups, 115 crunches, 11:30 1.5 Mile to 15 pull ups, 142 crunches and a 23 3 mile. Not the best stats, but I have no regrets.
Just wanted to say that this site has lots of information that helped me get through Boot Camp.

I would gladly answer all relevant questions. I won't respond to garbage.

I don't want to spoil it for anyone, but I would like to help. If you want Boot Camp to be a surprise, don't continue reading.

I'm not going to write a whole essay on Boot Camp, but I would like to give some tips to help you Poolees out when you reach the depot.

------

Be strong. Not just physically, but mentally and morally. Don't show fear. Yeah sure, you may cry at night the first few days after Black Friday, but don't let your Drill Instructors see it. Fight the urge to take the easy way out. Do the right thing, even when no one is looking.

If you want to get Meritoriously Promoted, graduate Guide, Squad Leader, or Scribe. If you want to be Guide or Squad Leader, show your motivation. Move with intensity , sound off, and follow instructions. Be the first to everything. Lead by example and mentor others. Let the drill instructors see that, you'll be Squad Leader. I was squad leader for all of First Phase, 1/2 of Second Phase. I got fired because I neglected to maintain order. If your going to be Squad Leader, do your Platoon a favor and make sure you can keep the job so you don't waste their time. If you want to be scribe, your drill instructors may ask, "Who has some good hand writting?" Sound off and say, "THIS RECRUIT, SIR!" If your not a dirt bag, you'll be Scribe.

It sounds so simple, yet recruits just don't do it. When the Drill Instructor yells at you, yell at him back. Sound off with some intensity and aggression. If you whisper and sound like a sister, they'll pick on you all cycle.

Don't go to Boot Camp fat. If your a fat body, do what you got to do to get rid of it before you leave. Eat right, run, and get some good sleep. Simple formula. If you go fat, you'll spend a lot of time on the quarterdeck. You'll get slayed while the rest of your platoon is training and getting better.

Remember why you're there. You're there to earn the title. If your reading this and doing your research, I know you're already motivated. Keep it. Think about your family and loved ones back at home waiting for you. You want to go home with the title United States Marine. If you don't have any family, think about America. The United States of America is counting on you to protect this nation.

All the physical training your doing right now, it will pay off. When I was running the PFT, I just thought back to when all the miles I put in running back on the block. Think back on home, and relax when you're running. PT should be a stress reliever. Its fun, feels good, and you get to sing and yell at the same time.

Be friends with the scribe. He somehow may know the schedule for the next day. He also writes fire watch. Hook him up, and he'll hook you up.

Don't cheat yourself. Yeah, you may get away with it, but you'll get caught eventually. Do your pull ups after chow. Try to increase by one every week of training.

Don't be the one that messes it up for everyone. Move fast. Get in get out. Don't take your sweet little time in the rain room, on the ****ters, cause there's always someone waiting for you to finish, whether it be other recruits or your drill instructors.

Get rack closest to the front. You get to the head and hatch first, so you'll never hold the platoon back. You'll be able to hear what the Drill Instructors are saying, so no question about it. The drill instructors are near, so you'll always be squared away.

There's a lot of other things I could tell you, but I don't have all day. Ask away, and I'll try to respond ASAP.

Good luck, you'll make it.

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/8479/59514631sb1.jpg

MarinesFTW
10-14-08, 01:40 PM
Congrats Marine... It was nice to read this and it keeped up the Moto.

0231Marine
10-14-08, 01:45 PM
Congratulations PFC...welcome to the brotherhood!!!

jrhd97
10-14-08, 01:47 PM
Congrats MARINE!! Welcome back.

LandsNGrooves
10-14-08, 01:49 PM
Congrats PFC.

What kind a PT schedule would you sugjest preship? I lost a chinup on our office's 1st IST day since I enlisted. Thats not acceptable. I had been training everyday by myself, but now i go every other.I feel like a bum on off day. Any ideas?

thiscalling
10-14-08, 01:50 PM
Thank you so much for the information, and congratulations make sure to enjoy your leave!

cocruxified
10-14-08, 02:08 PM
Congrats PFC.

What kind a PT schedule would you sugjest preship? I lost a chinup on our office's 1st IST day since I enlisted. Thats not acceptable. I had been training everyday by myself, but now i go every other.I feel like a bum on off day. Any ideas?

I know personally from training that you can't go every single day. You NEED rest. Take weekends off. The ARMSTRONG PULL PROGRAM (http://www.4mcd.usmc.mil/AOP/OSOHyattsville/PT%20Prep%20Guide.htm) is really good. I'm doing it. Up to 19 from 15 in about three weeks. Key thing is REST. Your muscles need to rebuild themselves. That's probably why you lost one.

That link actually has some other training stuff you could do. For crunches and running.

LandsNGrooves
10-14-08, 02:16 PM
Thank You CoCX.Thats a sweet piece.

degenerate138
10-14-08, 03:03 PM
Congrats PFC and thanks for the inside information.

Marine84
10-14-08, 06:27 PM
Congratulations and Welcome Home Marine!

(All them smokies just made me hungry!)

Troutzilla
10-14-08, 06:45 PM
Good job Marine ...welcome to The Corps :flag: always remember to think strong. SEMPER FI !!

Menso
10-14-08, 09:18 PM
Congratz PFC, Was nice seeing you at the graduation.

sparkie
10-14-08, 09:39 PM
Congratulations and Welcome Home Marine!

(All them smokies just made me hungry!)
OK?
And Congrats,,, However, If you can do it,,, not all can. I've seen a few failures.

SEANstaah
10-14-08, 09:41 PM
Losing numbers on your PFT is typical. Just make sure you give your body a day to rest. Make sure you run alot, and max pull ups and crunches multiple sets. That's all you really need to do to prepare yourself. Play sports and such. Don't slay yourself yet, enjoy your time. You'll get slayed when you get to the depot.

You should be fine, just don't be stupid, you'll make it.

LandsNGrooves
10-14-08, 10:07 PM
Thank you PFC. Im def gonna use that schedule in the link. It has what my recruiter suggjested to me today plus some.

Scottie0417
10-15-08, 12:11 AM
Congrats brother...I graduated Echo Co. I remember talkin to some unmotivated Charlie recruits at medical during Marine week telling them it would only get better. Feels like yesterday